Team USA Basketball 2024 (Women's)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Here's a thread for discussion of Team USA women's basketball this year. If anybody has any info about exhibition games prior to the Olympics, feel free to add!

Here's the schedule for now:

Olympics Group C Games:
Monday July 29, Noon PDT vs Japan (USA)

Thursday, August 1, Noon PDT vs Belgium (USA)

Sunday, August 4, 8:15 AM PDT vs Germany (USA)

Olympics Medal Round Games:
Quarterfinals are scheduled for Wednesday, August 7:
2 AM PDT
5:30 AM PDT
9 AM PDT
12:30 PM PDT

Semifinals: Friday, August 9:
8:30 AM PDT
Noon PDT

Bronze medal game: Sunday, August 11, 2:30 AM PDT
Gold medal game: Sunday, August 11, 6:30 AM PDT

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
If you weren't a fan of how the US men "spammed" three-pointers against Serbia, you're really not going to like the Japanese women's offense.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'll say this for Japan: when you're that small across the board, I reckon you don't really have a choice but to be prolific shooting from distance. I think the tallest player on their team is 6'1".

USA leads by 11 at the half, 50-39. A'ja "The REAL MVP" Wilson leads all players with 17 points and 7 rebounds. Japan staying in striking distance, thanks to 22 three-point attempts, versus 16 two-point attempts.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Considering that Japan is the reigning Olympic Silver Medalist and USA "only" beat them by 15 last time, this was a good quality win for the Americans.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
3x3 wins their second match of the day, this time over Canada, in come-from-behind fashion. USA trailed by 3 points, with less than a minute to go, and rallied to force overtime. Then they gave up the first basket in overtime, before winning on a two-pointer.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Haven’t watched every game but they looked great today whereas they were borderline unwatchable early in this tournament.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Dare I say it? I think the 3x3 team got jobbed: that was a heavy whistle in favor of Spain, IMO. Plus a rule that gives you two shots once you go into the penalty, in a game that has one-pointers is nasty work.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Dare I say it? I think the 3x3 team got jobbed: that was a heavy whistle in favor of Spain, IMO. Plus a rule that gives you two shots once you go into the penalty, in a game that has one-pointers is nasty work.
Didn't see the game but when I learned the foul rules I thought they sounded pretty absurd for the same reason. How many FTs did Spain wind up shooting?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
3x3 recovers from their semifinal loss to defeat Canada 16-13 for the Bronze Medal.
7 FTs in a game to 21 is ridiculous on its own but given that the majority of games I've watched finish with score lines like the Bronze match it's even worse.

Congrats to the ladies. They looked really rough to start and great by the end. I am sure had they had a little more time together they'd have won gold. I also trust a healthy Brink will be on the 5 woman court in four years.