TDOS 2019 - Desert Island Music Draft (revisited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A long, long time ago in a thread far away, Mr. S£im brought us a gift he admittedly stole. When the Kings hit rock bottom - and a lot of our fans went on extended hiatus - we quit doing those draft threads. Last year, however, we resurrected one and it seemed to go pretty well.

This season appears to be rapidly drawing to a close. I decided to revisit the original draft thread theme - and go once again with albums. I'll flesh out the details within the next few days. At this point, I'd just like to see how many people are interested.

Wanna play?

Participants

1. Capt Factorial
2. Warhawk
3. Foxfire
4. VF21
5. whitechocolate
6. HndsmCelt
7. Padrino
8. Jespher
9. Turgenev

Last edited:
I am absolutely in. Music is my passion. I have very eclectic record collection and a pretty decent stereo system. And I'm always happy to recommend some of my favorites, even if I'm not too good at describing what makes them great.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Looks like you need 1 more participant to get the draft running. I'll join to make an even 8 :)
Thanks for joining. Our drafts generally have 12 to 16 participants. I'm going to wait a bit longer to see if any of our previous music draft participants are interested in doing it again.

I'll be posting the rules shortly.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm going to be on vacation from 7/20 through 7/31 and some areas may have spotty reception - if the draft is during that time I'll try to have some selections queued up for use and check in as I can.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bummer. I was really looking forward to seeing what people here like, and curious as to who if anybody would like my picks. I don't see why we couldn't have done the draft with who we have. Oh well.
You know, sometimes life just happens. I had things come up and I couldn't devote much if any time to KF for a while. My bad.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You know, if the participants who have signed up are willing, we could still do this thing. But if we're gonna do it, people have to quit sharing their potential lists. ;)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You know what this makes me think of? Another draft where you can pick any artist and select your, say, 5 favorite songs from that artist in that round. Other drafters can later pick the same artist if they so desire, but not the same songs. Hmmmm…..
That's definitely an interesting twist - it puts it somewhere between a "song" draft, an "album" draft, and an "artist" draft. I'd bite.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

You know what this makes me think of? Another draft where you can pick any artist and select your, say, 5 favorite songs from that artist in that round. Other drafters can later pick the same artist if they so desire, but not the same songs. Hmmmm…..
Interesting concept. I might suggest 3 songs instead of 5, just because some artists aren't as prolific as others, but that is picking of the nits at this point.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Interesting concept. I might suggest 3 songs instead of 5, just because some artists aren't as prolific as others, but that is picking of the nits at this point.
Or, to make things completely insane, the first person to draft songs from a particular band gets to select three songs, but the second gets to select 5, and the third gets to select 7...etc. So there's a quality/quantity trade-off you get when you wait...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I need to hear from those who signed up (as shown in the first post). If they renew their interest - or we get new participants, we'll go for it. With the majority of people viewing on their phones, I don't think we'll have some of the problems we had before when drafts extended into the actual season.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
That's definitely an interesting twist - it puts it somewhere between a "song" draft, an "album" draft, and an "artist" draft. I'd bite.
I got to thinking about some artists I really like but maybe just individual songs scattered across multiple albums, or they only have a handful of songs I really like. It's almost like you can draft 1/2 to1/3 of a typical "greatest hits" album (which are generally barred from the album drafts) from the more prolific artists. Balances out the options a bit for others if someone else likes the band as well. For bands without as much material it lets you grab at least most of the songs you might like....

You know, if the participants who have signed up are willing, we could still do this thing. But if we're gonna do it, people have to quit sharing their potential lists. ;)
I'm still in if you want to go. But you are the one who said it was dead, so don't blame us. ;)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Or, to make things completely insane, the first person to draft songs from a particular band gets to select three songs, but the second gets to select 5, and the third gets to select 7...etc. So there's a quality/quantity trade-off you get when you wait...

Interesting idea as well! For simplicity sake I'd probably just stick with 5, but this would be a novel twist on the typical draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.