TDDS - 2020 Shelter-in-Place on a Desert Island Music Draft - BONUS 5

Going to wrap up my draft with a bit of a bookend. Began with my favorite album, and ending with the song that inspired it.

Even if it took me more than a decade to make the connection.

1589650391713.png

William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet: Music From the Motion Picture - Various Artists (1996)

As I mentioned earlier in this draft, before I knew picking soundtracks would be an option, one of my favorite Radiohead songs, Talk Show Host, has only ever been released as a part of this soundtrack (and as a B-side for a few singles). It's personally important to me as retroactively the first time I can distinctly remember hearing and loving a Radiohead song. (I almost certainly had heard their hit single from their first album, but it didn't make an impression as anything more than another Nirvana knock-off).

Talk Show Host also reportedly acts as the blueprint for OK Computer, much in the way Hot Knife was Fiona Apple's blueprint for Bolt Cutters. I became so enamored with the haunting, alienating melody mixed with abstract, angsty lyrics to the point decades latter I still get a chill when those first several cords strike up. In fact, sometimes I've left the DVD on the select screen for longer than I'd care to confess.

Still, picking an entire album for one song would be a waste. Fortunately the whole album is a mid-90s alt-rock pageantry, with each band basically being told "Write a song about Romeo and Juliet in your own style, and go nuts." Makes the soundtrack a bit randomly uneven with some rather dramatic tonal shifts, but overall it's fun. And I also get another song from Garbage as a happy accident.

Here are some standouts from the soundtrack ... and of course I included Talk Show Host.

Tracklist
1."#1 Crush" Garbage
2."Local God" Everclear
3."Angel" Gavin Friday
4."Pretty Piece of Flesh" One Inch Punch
5."Kissing You" (Love Theme from Romeo + Juliet) Des'ree
6."Whatever (I Had a Dream)" Butthole Surfers
7."Lovefool" The Cardigans
8."Young Hearts Run Free" Kym Mazelle
9."Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)" Quindon Tarver
10."To You I Bestow" Mundy
11."Talk Show Host" Radiohead
12."Little Star" Stina Nordenstam
13."You and Me Song" The Wannadies

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Going to wrap up my draft with a bit of a bookend. Began with my favorite album, and ending with the song that inspired it.
Nice way to come full circle.

Seems like a ton of great artists have that seminal non-album track that if you're a fan you just can't go without, and two (Radiohead and Garbage) are on this soundtrack. PDX grabbed two more with Alice In Chains' "Would" and Smashing Pumpkins "Drown" on the Singles soundtrack - though I would argue Smashing Pumpkins have TWO seminal non-album tracks. And there are probably a few more somewhere in the draft that don't jump immediately to mind.

I had friend in college who was nearly driven to the brink by "Lovefool" - the occupants across the wall in her apartment complex turned their stereo way up and put it on straight repeat for some ridiculous time - it was, not kidding, like a day and a half. Anytime I want to needle her, a little falsetto "Love me, love me!" will rile her up big time.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I wanted to use this last pick to highlight a Sacramento-based electronic/synthpop band and add some more club/dance music - I don't remember where I first heard of them but I really enjoy some of their work, especially from this, their second album.

Slim, I'll have you note that not one album of mine came from your "glory year" of 1991 - probably why I'm going to lose this thing. :)

Cause & Effect - Trip (1994)

Trip_album_CaE.jpg

https://www.allmusic.com/album/trip-mw0000112738

From allmusic:

Released as it was in 1994 and near completely out of sync with the prevailing grunge/G-funk trends of popular music, Trip is noteworthy for holding its own ground with style. Cause & Effect didn't see the need to bend to the whims of fashion and the result is quite entertaining. Lead single "It's Over Now" made for a great opening, the blend of emotive synths and anthemic guitars and drums a near-perfect distillation of many new wave heights. With the formula established, the trio essentially offered up a number of variations on the same for Trip, yet such is the quality of the atmosphere and pace established that the group avoids pointless repetition.
Musical references and hints are everywhere -- there's a touch of New Order on "You Are the One," for instance -- but if Cause & Effect isn't a truly great band, it's a very good one.
It's Over Now reached #7 spot on Billboard's modern rock charts. Love that song. Inside Out and Soul Search are my other favorites on this album.

Track List:
1. It's Over Now
2. Inside Out
3. Alone
4. In Shakespeare's Garden
5. You Are the One
6. Soul Search
7. Stone Girl
8. She Said
9. Sinking
10. Crash

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I wanted to use this last pick to highlight a Sacramento-based electronic/synthpop band and add some more club/dance music - I don't remember where I first heard of them but I really enjoy some of their work, especially from this, their second album.

Cause & Effect - Trip (1994)
I'm kind of surprised - here we've got a Sacramento band, from right in the middle of my college years, who hit #7 on the modern rock charts...yet I've never heard of the band nor do I believe I've ever heard the song. Not on the radio, not over at a friend's place or at a party, not over the PA in various Tower locations. I don't remember ever seeing the album cover. I don't remember seeing them play at any local venues/events, or hearing about a show. Just nothing. Blank.

If you stepped up and said, "Yeah, I faked the Wiki page and the YouTube uploads" that would almost make more sense to me...

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm kind of surprised - here we've got a Sacramento band, from right in the middle of my college years, who hit #7 on the modern rock charts...yet I've never heard of the band nor do I believe I've ever heard the song. Not on the radio, not over at a friend's place or at a party, not over the PA in various Tower locations. I don't remember ever seeing the album cover. I don't remember seeing them play at any local venues/events, or hearing about a show. Just nothing. Blank.

If you stepped up and said, "Yeah, I faked the Wiki page and the YouTube uploads" that would almost make more sense to me...
I know I had their first album before I bought this one, so I must have heard one or two of their songs, bought that album, and then picked this up later. Overall I think this is the better album, but I like both.

Their first album came out while I was attending a JC here locally. But that's the funny part - I can't remember where I heard their stuff first, either. Likely on the radio or at a dance club in Sacramento?

PDX grabbed two more with Alice In Chains' "Would" and Smashing Pumpkins "Drown" on the Singles soundtrack - though I would argue Smashing Pumpkins have TWO seminal non-album tracks. And there are probably a few more somewhere in the draft that don't jump immediately to mind.
This is funny because I definitely grabbed this for seminal non-album tracks and there's more than a few here. But SP were a total afterthought for me. :D

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
With my fifth bonus pick in the Shelter-In-Place Album Draft and the final pick overall, I select:

String Quartets No. 3, No. 8, and No. 13 - Dmitri Shostakovich (1946/1960/1970)

As recorded for Decca by the Fitzwilliam String Quartet, 1989

Track Listing:
String Quartet No. 3 in F major, Op. 73
1 Allegretto
2 Moderato con moto
3 Allegro non troppo
4 Adagio
5 Moderato

String Quartet No. 8 in C minor, Op. 110
6 Largo
7 Allegro molto
8 Allegretto
9 Largo
10 Largo

String Quartet No. 13 in B flat minor, Op. 138
11 Adagio

With my first four bonus picks, I went with a symphony, some program music, some piano music, and some choral music. It only seemed natural that the fifth selection be chamber music, preferably string chamber music - so presumably (but not inevitably) of the string quartet variety. The problem was, WHICH string quartet? I relistened to a pretty serious selection of what I had available, and at various points in time had basically decided on at least three different albums, but just couldn’t quite commit - because I kept going back to Shostakovich.

Shostakovich was the best thing to happen to the string quartet since Beethoven, producing fifteen overall and at least one (the 8th) considered among the greatest string quartets ever written. The problem with me selecting Shostakovich really came down to the facts that 1) I knew that the 6-individually-sold CDs of the complete Shostakovich string quartets was definitely stretching the rules beyond a breaking point, and 2) I couldn’t choose between the 8th and the 13th, which in my collection are on different discs.

So finally I decided to do something I haven’t yet done: select a specific recording that I don’t actually own. It’s not against the rules, and some of you may have already done it. But if I wanted 8 and 13 (and after long introspection, that’s what I really wanted) I had to find a way to get them together. There actually were several ways to go on Amazon - I selected the Fitzwilliam version because the quartet rounding out the album (the 3rd string quartet) is actually quite good as well and my preference amongst the alternatives.

The third string quartet starts out with a very sprightly allegretto, particularly for Shostakovich, and closes with a fifth-movement moderato (mislabeled in the link as the fourth movement for some reason) which brings back a modified version of the allegretto’s melody, first on the cello at about the 2:55 mark, before breaking into some deep tension in the middle of the movement and then ending quietly, as Shostakovich often did.

The eighth string quartet is generally considered to be Shostakovich’s masterpiece in the form, and it is said that the 8th is performed as often as the other 14 put together. It was written in 1960, shortly after the perpetually-politically-persecuted composer finally broke down and joined the Communist Party, and it contains a wealth of references to his earlier material, none more poignant than the “Shostakovich cryptogram” that dominates the first movement. The fourth movement is opened by a striking six-note attack that keeps returning to dominate the subdued melody. It is told that Shostakovich wrote this work as an intended epitaph as he contemplated suicide. He did not carry it out, however, and when he died 15 years later of lung cancer the 8th string quartet was played at his funeral.

Of all of his works, however, the most visually evocative to me is the 13th string quartet, a slow and contemplative single-movement work that always places me lonely and weary, staring out across the dead Russian steppe under a leaden sky heavy with the knowledge that winter is coming in.

Consummatum est

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
...and we are done!

At this point, the usual procedure is for all of the participants to submit 1-12 rankings of the lists compiled by each drafter to the person in charge of the draft, which will be used to seed the voting process.

I'm not entirely sure whether VF (the nominal person in charge of the draft) or myself (the minion administrative assistant in charge of making sure things go smoothly) is the proper person to PM with your rankings. As the intro screen that Löwenherz discussed plays over and over, I'm sure that that decision can wait until tomorrow morning when VF logs in again.

Until then, goodnight sweet message board, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest...

Wrong play, I know!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I've been keeping busy re-connecting with family this week and pretending like the world hasn't gone all crazy. Since I already abandoned the random number idea I had to think about a suitable way to cap off my draft and I eventually settled on...

Once (Movie Soundtrack) - Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova (2007)

01. Falling Slowly
02. If You Want Me
03. Broken-Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy
When Your Mind's Made Up
05. Lies
06. Gold
The Hill
08. Fallen From the Sky
09. Leave
10. Trying to Pull Myself Away
11. All the Way Down
12. Once
Say It to Me Now
I still distinctly remember seeing this for the first time at the Landmark theater on Pico when it came out (was that really 13 years ago?!) and it just felt like the perfect movie. It was a love story that didn't feel cliche, a musical that felt authentic and believable, a low budget indie film by an emerging filmmaker that told a small story about a few characters struggling to pick themselves up and rebuild their lives and yet it completely avoided the self-indulgent naval gazing which so often clouds other films in that category. And the music was a revelation! I had never heard of Glen Hansard or the Frames at the time but this soundtrack was in heavy rotation for me for all of that summer.

I went to the Coachella music festival for the first (and only) time in 2008 and was lucky enough to see Glan Hansard and Marketa Irglova perform these songs live on the same stage as The National and Vampire Weekend and Serj Tankian (of System of a Down). Listening to this now reminds me what a beautiful simple time that whole year was! There are times in my life where I feel lost and alone and it's a struggle just to see some sign of hope through the fog but there are other times when the clouds open up and it's just smooth sailing and blue sky as far as the eye can see. So when Glen Hansard sings "Take this sinking boat and point it home, we've still got time!" I understand exactly what he's feeling and it's comforting to know that there are others out there falling and picking themselves up and continuing to fight the unwinnable fight-- to find that peaceful place beyond the horizon where all struggle is over and the heart is free to make the right decisions every time.

Maybe that place doesn't exist but I fully support those who choose to seek it out anyway -- because the search itself is noble and we all need some kind of distant goal to keep us moving when our struggles threaten to overwhelm us.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
...and we are done!

At this point, the usual procedure is for all of the participants to submit 1-12 rankings of the lists compiled by each drafter to the person in charge of the draft, which will be used to seed the voting process.
Shouldn't that be 1-11? I don't think that we're supposed to rank ourselves.

Given the traditional dead period between the end of the draft and the submission of the rankings is usually filled with missed picks and leftovers, I'll carry the torch for that.

Everyone seemed to mostly stay in their musical lanes this time around, so I only had eight albums that I was targeting, and only two I had a real chance of taking, drafted before I got around to it.

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Are you Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Dirt - Alice in Chains
Fashion Nugget - Cake
Battle of Los Angeles - Rage Against the Machine
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back - Public Enemy

Only Dark Side and Dirt were I really motivated to nab. Should be noted, there were 16 full rounds between Battle of Los Angeles and Nation of Millions when I was again the only cart in the vegan aisle.

Also, strangely for reasons I cannot begin to explain, I consider Superunknown and Core by the Stone Temple Pilots as a package deal. Wouldn't take one without knowing I could get both, so I really was never in the running for either.

Because my list went relatively untouched, my leftovers are extensive. I won't go into them all, but I'll note the albums that thus far I appreciate and admire, but haven't quite reached the point where I have the same level of affection and affinity as with the albums I did pick.

Los Angeles - X
In The Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Honey
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
The Score - The Fugees
Zen Arcade - Hüsker Dü
Madvillainy - Madvillain
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Treasure - Cocteau Twins
Kids See Ghosts - Kanye West and Kid Cudi
Throwing Copper - Live
Floetic - Floetry
St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley
Harvest - Neil Young
LA Woman - The Doors
Latyrx - Latyrx
The Predator - Ice Cube
Doggystyle - Snoop Dog
Elephant - The White Stripes
Brothers - The Black Keys

I won't go into details from the other film scores I was considering drafting under the special bonus rules, because the movie draft has started up. But I will say the score for my favorite movie has one song from the Doors, one song from Wagner, and is otherwise creepy ambiant music and jungle noises. Think it would be right at home with Padrino's sound stage.

Also, I thought long and hard about burning a special bonus pick on Hell Freezes Over, before going all in on movie soundtracks. That's the album my parents used to put my sister to sleep with the back-to-back acoustic versions of Tequilla Sunrise and Hotel California. Sacrilegious as it may be, that's the definitive Eagles album for me.

Even if everyone else has had a rough night, and hates the Eagles.

1589915699182.png

Last edited:
I too would have loved to find room for Zen Arcade. I don't recall if I picked it before or didn't. I definitely had Los Angeles (and G3 had picked Wild Gift, and they are great).

I picked ...And Justice for All in draft one, it still stands as the peak of Metallica songwriting for me and Master is the perfect 'tallica record. Since Spike got Master again, I decided I would leave them out. But there is one thrash record I return to over and over and that is Act III by Death Angel.

When I decided to make the back end of my draft focus on releases in the last 10 years, I really thought that I would grab the Street Dogs self titled release from 2010. That to me was the record I wanted the Dropkick Murphys second album to be.

When I picked the Dirtbombs, I mentioned "gunk punk", that term was coined by New Bomb Turks vocalist Eric Davidson and I really would have liked to put a Turks album on my list. Either Destroy Oh Boy or Scared Straight.

Between the Dolls record and the Heartbreakers record, I didn't think I could pick up a third record with Johnny Thunders, but So Alone was a tough cut. I've really been listening to a lot of Thunders while working on my own music.

I did the ten albums on facebook a week ago, one band I did not find room for this go round that I did put on my top ten was the Descendents (Milo Goes to College), which was one of the first punk rock records I ever got, along with MDC Millions of Dead Cops, Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks, and the Repo Man soundtrack (followed shortly by the soundtrack to the original Decline of the Western Civilization). All of these were essential to developing my musical tastes in middle school, and really by the middle of university when punk dusted itself off from a brief hibernation during the thrash/crossover years, I picked these back up and never looked back.

One essential soundtrack I am sure I picked up in another draft was the Commitments. I also would not have minded Rocky Horror (sure I grabbed that before?), Hedwig, Grease and Book of Mormon.

I chose the Thermals as my Portland based pick but the other band from here I really really loved was The Epoxies. Very Devo-esque female fronted synth-punk-pop band. I also would have loved to grab Parallel Lines by Blondie. Maybe the Cars debut.

And I didn't have room for them this time but my favorite Sacramento band is and will always be Tesla. Their twin-leads are right up with Downing/Tipton and Murray/Smith for me.

I think I had mentioned that I wanted my list to at least be slightly accessible rather than ram obscure punk or niche genre acts not in danger of being selected by anyone else, so if anyone really liked anything I picked I can probably go 10-20 bands deep with similar artists.

Given the traditional dead period between the end of the draft and the submission of the rankings is usually filled with missed picks and leftovers, I'll carry the torch for that.

Everyone seemed to mostly stay in their musical lanes this time around, so I only had eight albums that I was targeting, and only two I had a real chance of taking, drafted before I got around to it.

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Full Moon Fever - Tom Petty
Superunknown - Soundgarden
Are you Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix Experience
Dirt - Alice in Chains
Fashion Nugget - Cake
Battle of Los Angeles - Rage Against the Machine
It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold us Back - Public Enemy

Only Dark Side and Dirt was I really motivated to nab. Should be noted, there were 16 full rounds between Battle of Los Angeles and Nation of Millions when I was again the only cart on the vegan food aisle.

Also, strangely for reasons I cannot begin to explain, I consider Superunknown and Core by the Stone Temple Pilots as a package deal. Wouldn't take one without knowing I could get both, so I really was never in the running for either.

Because my list went relatively untouched, my leftovers are extensive. I won't go into them all, but I'll note the albums that thus far I appreciate and admire, but haven't quite reached the point where I have the same level of affection and affinity as with the albums I did pick.

X - Los Angeles
In The Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Honey
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill
The Score - The Fugees
Zen Arcade - Hüsker Dü
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Loveless - My Bloody Valentine
Cocteau Twins - Treasure
Kids See Ghosts - Kanye West and Kid Cudi
Throwing Copper - Live
Floetic - Floetry
St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley
Harvest - Neil Young
LA Woman - The Doors
Latryx - Latyrx
The Predator - Ice Cube
Doggystyle - Snoop Dog
Elephant - The White Stripes
Brothers - The Black Keys

I won't go into details from the other film scores I was considering drafting under the special bonus rules, because the movie draft has started up. But I will say the score for my favorite movie has one song from the Doors, one song from Wagner, and is otherwise creepy ambiant music and jungle noises. Think it would be right at home with Padrino's sound stage.

Also, I thought long and hard about burning a special bonus pick on Hell Freezes Over, before going all in on movie soundtracks. That's the album my parents used to put my sister to sleep with the back-to-back acoustic versions of Tequilla Sunrise and Hotel California. Sacrilegious as it may be, that's the definitive Eagles album for me.

Even if everyone else has had a rough night, and hates the Eagles.

View attachment 9867
Nice. If I remember right, I picked both Cocteau Twins' Treasure and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless in a past Desert Island Music Draft. That was some years ago now. 2013 or 2014, I think. But those two records are so gorgeous and so important to me. Would have loved to see either of them picked in this year's draft. :)

Nice. If I remember right, I picked both Cocteau Twins' Treasure and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless in a past Desert Island Music Draft. That was some years ago now. 2013 or 2014, I think. But those two records are so gorgeous and so important to me. Would have loved to see either of them picked in this year's draft. :)
It is entirely because you picked those two albums last time that they appeared on my leftover list now. I remember looking through one of those "greatest albums of X" lists, seeing Loveless favorably compared to Nevermind and OK Computer, so I took a chance on it, and hated it. Thought it was weird hipster trash.

But then you picked it, and explained the background and philosophy of the music, then picked Treasure, and suddenly it made sense. I can appreciate and enjoy both now, even if I'm not quite to the stage of loving them enough to be stuck with them and only them for eternity.

It is entirely because you picked those two albums last time that they appeared on my leftover list now. I remember looking through one of those "greatest albums of X" lists, seeing Loveless favorably compared to Nevermind and OK Computer, so I took a chance on it, and hated it. Thought it was weird hipster trash.

But then you picked it, and explained the background and philosophy of the music, then picked Treasure, and suddenly it made sense. I can appreciate and enjoy both now, even if I'm not quite to the stage of loving them enough to be stuck with them and only them for eternity.
Oh cool, well I'm glad that you discovered those albums through my selections of them! I'm about to listen to Treasure for the first time in ages. It's more of a wintertime album for me, but I'm realizing how much my ears have missed it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not going to present a list of missed picks or leftovers since, under the self-imposed G³ rule, I don't really have any (although I probably would have found a way to squeeze some Chopin in, had I another pick). Instead, and out of consideration of the fact that I'm 99.99 percent sure that I'm never participating in one of these music drafts again, I have taken the sixty-three albums that I selected over the course of three drafts, and whittled them down to a Top 25 list of absolute must-haves, consisting of seven albums that I'd selected in both 2008 and 2013, that got automatic inclusion, plus eighteen others. Surprisingly, there isn't a single album to make my "ultimate" list that came from my "magical" year of 1991. Unsurprisingly, most of these picks ended up coming from the 2013 draft, since that is the draft in which I got the most personal in my selection, so that was the draft I participated in in which my picks had the most meaning to me.

Here they are, presented in chronological order:

• Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (1973) [drafted 2008/2013]
  • Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life (1976) [drafted 2013]
  • Parliament - Funkentelchy Vs. The Placebo Syndrome (1977) [drafted 2008]
  • Michael Jackson - Off the Wall (1979) [drafted 2008/2013]
  • Prince and the Revolution - Purple Rain (1984) [drafted 2008/2013]
  • Digital Underground - Sex Packets (1990) [drafted 2013]
  • LL Cool J - Mama Said Knock You Out (1990) [drafted 2013]
  • Dr. Dre - The Chronic (1992) [drafted 2013]
  • Sheryl Crow - Tuesday Night Music Club (1993) [drafted 2013]
  • Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994) [drafted 2013]
  • 2Pac - Me Against the World (1995) [drafted 2020]
  • Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (1995) [drafted 2013]
  • Jon B. - Bonafide (1995) [drafted 2008/2013]
  • No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom (1995) [drafted 2020]
  • Erykah Badu - Baduizm (1997) [drafted 2008/2013]
  • Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope (1997) [drafted 2020]
  • The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land (1997) [drafted 2013]
  • Mos Def and Talib Kweli - Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star (1998) [drafted 2013]
  • Jamiroquai - Synkronized (1999) [drafted 2013]
  • Music Soulchild - Aijuswanaseing (2000) [drafted 2008/2013]
  • Daft Punk - Discovery (2001) [drafted 2020]
  • Hikaru Utada - Distance (2001) [drafted 2008/2013]
  • Christina Aguilera - Stripped (2002) [drafted 2008]
  • Scarface - The Fix (2002) [drafted 2013]
  • MF Doom - Mm.. Food (2004) [drafted 2020]

I also went back an un-redacted all my posts, in case anybody cares.

Last edited:
A few quick post draft points:
- There are maybe two albums I chose on impulse that I might do differently now - although I still like them and am not too bothered.
- I was close to selecting 'Lay It Down' by Al Green in the early-mid rounds, but talked myself out of it. I heard someone playing this yesterday and perhaps regretted its absence.
- I considered the 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2' soundtrack for my last pick. I'm not super keen on the songs, but do think of them as background music to my early teen years.

My favourite picks by others:
- 'Me Against the World', taken by Slim, was perhaps the only album I would have taken in this draft chosen by another poster. Sometimes at work I have to analyse data about how populations may live a little longer if they were a little more active with "IF I DIE TONIGHT" going on in my headphones.
- Several of Slim's all-time picks are classics for me. I just wasn't in the space to pick them.
- Padrino had several picks that I am into (Ghostface, Bad Bad Not Good, Shabbaz Palaces) and was one of my fave lists. Worth mentioning that Ghostface and Bad Bad Not Good did a collabo project a few years ago that was pretty decent.
- Also really liked lists from hrdboiled (illmatic, boxer, dear science) and lowenhurtz (archandroid, return to cookie mountain, power in numbers).
- Two albums from lists I otherwise don't know much about (Bridge Over Troubled Waters from VF21's list, London Calling from COJC's list) have received extended play from me over the years and def have a little sentimental value.

A few quick post draft points:
- There are maybe two albums I chose on impulse that I might do differently now - although I still like them and am not too bothered.
- I was close to selecting 'Lay It Down' by Al Green in the early-mid rounds, but talked myself out of it. I heard someone playing this yesterday and perhaps regretted its absence.
- I considered the 'Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2' soundtrack for my last pick. I'm not super keen on the songs, but do think of them as background music to my early teen years.

My favourite picks by others:
- 'Me Against the World', taken by Slim, was perhaps the only album I would have taken in this draft chosen by another poster. Sometimes at work I have to analyse data about how populations may live a little longer if they were a little more active with "IF I DIE TONIGHT" going on in my headphones.
- Several of Slim's all-time picks are classics for me. I just wasn't in the space to pick them.
- Padrino had several picks that I am into (Ghostface, Bad Bad Not Good, Shabbaz Palaces) and was one of my fave lists. Worth mentioning that Ghostface and Bad Bad Not Good did a collabo project a few years ago that was pretty decent.
- Also really liked lists from hrdboiled (illmatic, boxer, dear science) and lowenhurtz (archandroid, return to cookie mountain, power in numbers).
- Two albums from lists I otherwise don't know much about (Bridge Over Troubled Waters from VF21's list, London Calling from COJC's list) have received extended play from me over the years and def have a little sentimental value.
Yeah, I didn't think the Ghostface/BADBADNOTGOOD collab represented the height of Ghost's lyrical ingenuity and dexterity, but goddamn it was dope to hear him over the top of their psyched out jazz fusion. Makes me wish BBNG would find a vital and inventive rapper in their own age bracket who they could craft beats for on the regular.