TDDS - 2020 Shelter-in-Place on a Desert Island Music Draft - BONUS 5

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not acceptable - Time-Life or similar collections. "Leonard Nimoy reads the LA Phone Book" - sure.
By this, I believe you mean *multi-disc* collections, am I right? The 17-disc Time-Life Salute To Jimbo McWillercutsby would be out. But a single disc Time-Life "15 Songs About Bluebirds" would be OK?
Yeah, I'm going to need additional clarification on this rule.

Ben Salisbury & Geoff Barrow - Annihilation [Original Film Score] (2018):

01 What Do You Know?
02 Ambulance Chase
03 Approaching the Shimmer
04 Disoriented
05 The Alligator
06 For Those That Follow
07 The Swimming Pool
08 The Watchtower
09 Sheppard
10 The Body
11 Plant People
12 Cells Divide
13 The Bear
14 The Beach
15 Were You Me?
16 Lighthouse Chamber
17 The Alien
18 Annihilation

Genre(s): Film score, ambient, noise, drone, electronica

I have a deep attraction to non-traditional film scores. I value composers who are not terribly interested in wielding a classical orchestra as a means of juicing the primary colors of audience emotion, instead weighing the images presented by a film and curating a much less generic aural experience. Like my first pick of the bonus round, Annihilation features just such a score.

Annihilation was my favorite film of 2018, directed by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Devs) from his own screenplay, and adapted from Jeff Vandermeer's stellar novel of the same name. Garland brought in fellow Brits Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow (of Portishead/Beak>) to compose the score, and where the music of Blade Runner 2049 is towering and monolithic, the music of Annihilation is stark, haunting, and intimate. It invokes a feeling of cosmic dread, a discomfiting notion at the edges of one's consciousness that the familiar is no longer familiar.

The score pivots around a simple plucked acoustic guitar lead, which appears at the end of the score's opening piece and is frequently iterated upon throughout the score's remainder. Salisbury and Barrow then surround that warm and recognizably human part of their score with the unrecognizable, the misshapen, the alien. There are discordant strings and fractaled synths and droning choral elements that deform the human voice into an inhuman hum, like the insistent buzzing of bees. There are moments in which the score is strikingly beautiful, but it is a terrifying beauty, like coming face to face with the aesthetic splendor of that which our minds dare not attempt to traverse, for down that path lies madness.

As a film, Annihilation isn't all that concerned with the machinations of plot. It's much more intent on evoking feelings that we don't always know quite how to feel, and the score mirrors that sense of disquiet and dislocation. It is slightly askew, a little unsettling, kind of blurry, not-quite-right, like a lucid dream, like taking the listener's ears on a walk through abstractions that move the listener for indefinable reasons.

NOTE: Unfortunately, this is the first inclusion in my draft that doesn't have widespread availability on YouTube. I have linked to a few pieces to the score above, but if you're interested in further listening, I would say that Spotify is probably the way to go. I am not a Spotify user, but if you are, you can go here to listen.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, I'm going to need additional clarification on this rule.
If it's a whole bunch of discs dedicated to a decade or something similar (like Love Songs of the 70s, Greatest songs of the 80s, etc), then it's out. If it's a couple of albums or CD's representing the best of a certain genre, area, etc. it's borderline but probably okay unless it's way too inclusive (like 10 album set). If you PM me your proposed pick, I can judge more accurately ... and promise not to steal it. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1588817926751.png

All Time Greatest Hits - Glenn Miller and his Orchestra - 2006

Disc: 1
1. Moonlight Serenade
2. Johnson Rag
3. It Happened In Sun Valley
4. Kalamazoo
5. In The Mood
6. Juke Box Saturday Night
7. Little Brown Jug
8. Sunrise Serenade
9. Carribean Clipper
10. Pennsylvania 6-5000
11. Chattanooga Choo Choo
12. A String Of Pearls
13. Tuxedo Junction
14. SNAFU Jump
15. American Patrol
16. My Prayer
17. The Trolley Song
18. Slip Horn Jive
19. We Can Live On Love
20. King Porter Stomp
21. The Lady's In Love With You
22. The Chestnut Tree
23. Pagan Love Song
24. Oh Johnny Oh Johnny Oh
25. Tiger Rag

Disc: 2
1. Bugle Call Rag
2. On A Little Street In Singapore
3. Solid As A Stonewall Jackson
4. When The Swallows Come Back To Capistrano
5. Oh So Good
6. Anchors Away
7. Yes My Darling Daughter
8. Song Of The Volga Boatmen
9. Limehouse Blues
10. I Dream't I Dwelt In Harlem
11. Flying Home
12. Boog It
13. Cherokee
14. Russian Patrol
15. The More I See You
16. Accentuate The Positive
17. Beer Barrel Polka
18. Dipper Mouth Blues
19. Poinciana
20. Long Ago And Far Away
21. You Walk By
22. Hallelujah
23. Put Your Arms Around Me Honey
24. Sun Valley Jump
25. South American Way

I grew up listening to this music. My mom and dad actually used to jitterbug in the living room, while my brother and I watched amazed and somewhat shocked. When I was in school, we had two bands - marching band and "big band" where they actually performed the best of Glenn Miller and others of his era. It was a whole lot of fun.

I couldn't take any Glenn Miller in the first 20 rounds because most of his albums were collections of previously released material, so I'll admit that being able to grab this was my partial motivation for opening up the "anything goes" bonus rounds. ;)

If you’re going to build the premise of your movie around a kid driving a series of bank heist getaways with superhuman precision and skill all timed to his consummately playing iPod, that movie’s music better be an all-star list of killer tracks.

1588819374058.jpg

Baby Driver (Music from the Motion Picture) - Various Artists (2017)

Edgar Wright is among my favorite living directors to have mastered visually interesting and kinetic cinema. However, slightly less celebrated is his stellar use of sound and score.

Here he’s curated a collection of classic rock, rhythm, and blues hits that for the most part, I had never heard before, and they work so perfectly it takes an otherwise moderately decent film with a derivative storyline, standard stunt driving, and Wright’s patented flashy cuts, and elevates it to a level of pure thrill and memorability.

Cinema is quite obviously a visual medium, and typically the areas I evaluate a film are: cinematography and art direction, plotting and narrative, effective acting, and a director’s vision and tone. Everything else I usually relegate to the background unless it is unusually bad enough to make me take notice.

However, Baby Driver is one of the rare times a soundtrack has stood out to me so well, it increased my opinion of the film exponentially in the positive.

Warning: It’s best not to play this one in the car. You might see some triple digits in your speedometer if you do.

Disc one
1."Bellbottoms" Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
2."Harlem Shuffle" Bob & Earl
3."Egyptian Reggae" Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers
4."Smokey Joe's La La" Googie René
5."Let's Go Away for Awhile" The Beach Boys
6."B-A-B-Y" Carla Thomas
7."Kashmere" Kashmere Stage Band
8."Unsquare Dance" Dave Brubeck
9."Neat Neat Neat" The Damned
10."Easy" (single version) The Commodores
11."Debora" T. Rex
12."Debra" Beck
13."Bongolia" Incredible Bongo Band
14."Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms)" The Detroit Emeralds
15."Early in the Morning" Alexis Korner

Disc two
16."The Edge" David McCallum
17."Nowhere to Run" Martha and the Vandellas
18."Tequila" The Button Down Brass
19."When Something Is Wrong with My Baby" Sam & Dave
20."Every Little Bit Hurts" Brenda Holloway
21."Intermission" Blur
22."Hocus Pocus" (original single version) Focus
23."Radar Love" (1973 single edit) Golden Earring
24."Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up" Barry White
25."Know How" Young MC
26."Brighton Rock" Queen
27."Easy" Sky Ferreira
28."Baby Driver" Simon & Garfunkel
29."Was He Slow?"
30."Chase Me"

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
This one is dedicated to my mom - she had a bunch of his albums and played his stuff frequently (especially one unnamed album where the record was a translucent blue color instead of black - as a kid I thought that was pretty cool). In fact, I just hopped on Amazon and bought this album for her after looking for which album to choose. :) And what the heck, I have a different Elvis greatest hits CD but I got a copy for me as well (this 2-disk set has some of his songs the other doesn't).

Elvis - The 50 Greatest Hits (2000)

Elvis_-_The_50_Greatest_Hits.jpg

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-50-greatest-hits-mw0000371754

Wanting all the biggest hits as a minimum, this is the best single album choice for The King's music. While I know all his biggest US hits, there are quite a few new ones to me on here as well.

From allmusic:

Spanning two CDs and, as its title suggests, 50 songs, all the classic tracks are here, from "Heartbreak Hotel" through "Suspicious Minds." The sound quality is as near-perfect as one will get for a best-of from this artist, and the packaging is quite superb.

As a starting point to Elvis Presley's work, this is unmatched by any other best-of and is an almost perfect compilation in that all of his most noted tracks are here, as are all the finest moment from each of his eras. For the more hardcore Elvis fan, also, The 50 Greatest Hits is an essential purchase, offering almost all of the finest tracks on a mere two discs.
From wikipedia:

Presley is the best-selling solo music artist of all time. He was commercially successful in many genres, including pop, country, R&B, adult contemporary, and gospel. He won three Grammys, received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award at age 36, and has been inducted into multiple music halls of fame. He holds the records for the most RIAA certified Gold and Platinum albums. In 2018, Presley was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
Track List:
Disk 1:
1. That's All Right
2. Mystery Train
3. Heartbreak Hotel
4. Blue Suede Shoes
5. Lawdy Miss Clawdy
6. Hound Dog
7. Don't Be Cruel
8. Love Me Tender
9. Too Much
10. All Shook Up
11. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
12. Party
13. Loving You
14. Jailhouse Rock
15. Don't
16. Trouble
17. Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
18. King Creole
19. Hard Headed Woman
20. One Night
21. (Now and Then There's) A Fool Such as I
22. A Big Hunk O' Love
23. Stuck on You
24. The Girl of My Best Friend
25. It's Now or Never

Disk 2:
1. Are You Lonesome Tonight?
2. Wooden Heart
3. Surrender
4. (Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame
5. Can't Help Falling in Love
6. Good Luck Charm
7. She's Not You
8. Return to Sender
9. (You're The) Devil in Disguise
10. Viva Las Vegas
11. Crying in the Chapel
12. Love Letters
13. Guitar Man
14. If I Can Dream
15. In the Ghetto
16. Suspicious Minds
17. Don't Cry Daddy
18. The Wonder of You
19. I Just Can't Help Believing
20. An American Trilogy
21. Burning Love
22. Always on My Mind
23. Suspicion
24. Moody Blue
25. Way Down

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
If it's a whole bunch of discs dedicated to a decade or something similar (like Love Songs of the 70s, Greatest songs of the 80s, etc), then it's out. If it's a couple of albums or CD's representing the best of a certain genre, area, etc. it's borderline but probably okay unless it's way too inclusive (like 10 album set). If you PM me your proposed pick, I can judge more accurately ... and promise not to steal it. ;)
It's a single disc. It sounds like it'll be okay.

Asylum years. Tom Waits. 1986.

Collection of songs from Waits' first few albums when his output at this time was a lot simpler and perhaps much closer to more traditional record label expectations than his more recent work. Seem to have said this for one or two other picks - but there is a sweetness in these songs that is not easy to achieve and cannot be manufactured.

1589418775590.png

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With my second bonus pick in the Shelter-In-Place Album Draft I select:

Pictures at an Exhibition (orchestral version) / A Night on the Bare Mountain - Modest Mussorgsky (1874/1886)

As recorded for Laserlight by Gilbert Levine and the Berlin Radio Symphony Orchestra (PaaE) / Janos Sandor and the Budapest Philharmonic Orchestra (aNotBM), 1991

Track Listing:
Pictures at an Exhibition
1 Promenade - Gnomus
2 Promenade - The Old Castle
3 Promenade - Tuileries
4 Bydlo - Promenade
5 Ballet of the Chickens in their Shells
6 Samuel Goldenberg & Schmuyle
7 Limoges - The Market Place
8 Catacombae - Cum mortuis in lingua mortua
9 The Hut on Fowls' Legs
10 The Great Gate of Kiev

11 A Night on the Bare Mountain

from Khovanschina
12 Intermezzo, 4th Act
13 Dance of the Persian Slaves

After grabbing a symphony with my first bonus pick, I'm going to use my second on some of my absolute favorite program music. As opposed to the symphony, which is steeped in formulae (sonata form, scherzos, etc.) and intended as music for music's sake, program music is much more free-form and typically is intended to evoke a particular scene - often a "program" would be given out prior to the music to guide the listener through "story" of the music. Program music became pretty popular during the Romantic period in the middle and late 1800s, and Pictures at an Exhibition is a perfect example, depicting Mussorgsky's experience of walking around through an exhibition of various paintings. The Gnomus section has been made mildly famous by its appearance in The Big Lebowski. Ballet of the Chickens in their Shells, often translated as "Ballet of the Unhatched Chicks", is incredibly playful (as is, I assume, the painting it was based on), and The Great Gate of Kiev has a grand, march-like horn melody that you've likely heard before. Pictures is basically 30+ minutes of bliss in my book.

And, on top of that, this disc has Mussorgsky's even MORE famous tone poem A Night on the Bare Mountain, again, often translated "A Night on Bald Mountain". This one, full of ominous, heavy tones (at least until the calming final third) you have definitely heard - even if you've never watched Fantasia, where it is prominently featured, you've heard it in various commercials and movie trailers throughout your life.

Interestingly, the arrangement of both of these pieces as recorded on the disc (and as usually performed) is not the original. Pictures was written for solo piano, and was later orchestrated by a famous redacted composer, while The Bare Mountain took several different orchestral forms throughout Mussorgsky's life but has finally been canonized in the arrangement by another redacted composer. It would seem that like many musicians of today (and I'm looking at you, Billy Corgan) Mussorgsky had a talent for writing music but perhaps didn't get such great marks for plating.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

Various Artists - Pure Funk (1998)

Why? Because it jams, that's why. I may be sheltered-in-place, but my grill still works. And that means a cookout, even if the only people in attendance are me, and the people I am sheltered-in-place with. And no cookout is complete without these classics. A staple of my CD collection, since the year it was released, and a must-play at every cookout, fish fry and card party.

Track Listing:

1. Brick House - Commodores
  2. Pick Up The Pieces - Average White Band
  3. Shining Star - Earth Wind & Fire
  4. Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang
  5. Lady Marmalade - LaBelle
  6. Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
  7. Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas
  8. Car Wash - Rose Royce
  9. Tell Me Something Good - Rufus
  10. Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
  11. Shaft - Isaac Hayes
  12. Fire - Ohio Players
  13. Flashlight - Parliament
  14. (Every Time I Turn Around) Back In Love Again - L.T.D.
  15. Good Times - Chic
  16. Forget Me Nots - Patrice Rushen
  17. Word Up - Cameo
  18. Early In The Morning - The Gap Band
  19. Don't Stop The Music - Yarbrough & Peoples
  20. Super Freak - Rick James

Question before I make my selection: Is a live concert with various artists from a specific label all performing together allowed? Additionally, if said recording only seems to be available on DVD via PBS? If I have to, I can choose a partial presentation of the concert as it was split into two cds, but I'd much rather have the whole concert. I understand if this violates whatever is left of the "anything goes" rules.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Question before I make my selection: Is a live concert with various artists from a specific label all performing together allowed? Additionally, if said recording only seems to be available on DVD via PBS? If I have to, I can choose a partial presentation of the concert as it was split into two cds, but I'd much rather have the whole concert. I understand if this violates whatever is left of the "anything goes" rules.
It is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I had a notion I knew what this was, but I think I was wrong. I was close, but I don't think my guess matches the description.

Seeing as I'm not elaborating any further, this post is actually useless. (Hit send, quick!)

I'm typing this out under the assumption that all goes well...if it doesn't, I'll be sure to make a change.

As some of you know, every year I take a group of 8th grade students to the deep South for a history lesson of the American Civil Rights. We start in Atlanta by attending a service at Ebenezer Baptist church. We then go to Montgomery/Selma Alabama, where we talk with people who were protesting the right to vote and were present for Bloody Sunday. We go to Birmingham to talk with people at 16th Street Baptist Church, and then we end up in Memphis, where we visit the National Civil Rights Museum and talk about Dr. King's work with the garbage collectors and the march on Washington. It's an incredibly powerful trip. The last night in Memphis, we hit Beale St. and let off a little steam at the Stax Museum. It's one of my favorite museums this country has to offer. It's gritty, powerful, real. It's, in my opinion, one of the most truly American experiences you can absorb in a museum, where the fabric of our country comes together to make some honest music.

That's where this pick comes in. TLDR; Stax Records founded American Soul music. In 1967 a collection of Stax artists went to Europe and tore [censored] up. They had an incredible following overseas, and while there hasn't been one official document of the tour on vinyl, PBS did a documentary and put together the following:

"Stax/Volt Revue - Live in Norway 1967 marks the first-ever official release of this historic concert. Considered by soul music fans to be one of the greatest lineups of artists ever to grace the concert stage, this DVD features stunning performances by Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Eddie Floyd, Arthur Conley, The Mar-Keys and the legendary Booker T. & The MGs. This DVD captures the April 7, 1967 concert in Oslo, Norway near the end of the three-week tour, when all the artists were at their very peak. The 75-minute concert was restored from the original master tapes and includes 20 minutes of recently discovered performances lost in the vaults for 40 years."

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.29.13 PM.png

Booker T and the MGs
1. Red Beans And Rice
2. Green Onions

The Mar-Keys
3.Philly Dog
4.Grab This Thing
5.Last Night

Arthur Conley
6.In The Midnight Hour
7.Sweet Soul Music

Eddie Floyd
8. Raise Your Hand

Sam and Dave
9. You Don't Know Like I Know
10. Soothe Me
11. When Something Is Wrong With My Baby
12. Hold On! I'm Comin'

Otis Redding
13.Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)
14. My Girl
15. Shake
16. Satisfaction
17. Try A Little Tenderness

Simply amazing.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I'm typing this out under the assumption that all goes well...if it doesn't, I'll be sure to make a change.

As some of you know, every year I take a group of 8th grade students to the deep South for a history lesson of the American Civil Rights. We start in Atlanta by attending a service at Ebenezer Baptist church. We then go to Montgomery/Selma Alabama, where we talk with people who were protesting the right to vote and were present for Bloody Sunday. We go to Birmingham to talk with people at 16th Street Baptist Church, and then we end up in Memphis, where we visit the National Civil Rights Museum and talk about Dr. King's work with the garbage collectors and the march on Washington. It's an incredibly powerful trip. The last night in Memphis, we hit Beale St. and let off a little steam at the Stax Museum. It's one of my favorite museums this country has to offer. It's gritty, powerful, real. It's, in my opinion, one of the most truly American experiences you can absorb in a museum, where the fabric of our country comes together to make some honest music.

That's where this pick comes in. TLDR; Stax Records founded American Soul music. In 1967 a collection of Stax artists went to Europe and tore [censored] up. They had an incredible following overseas, and while there hasn't been one official document of the tour on vinyl, PBS did a documentary and put together the following:

"Stax/Volt Revue - Live in Norway 1967 marks the first-ever official release of this historic concert. Considered by soul music fans to be one of the greatest lineups of artists ever to grace the concert stage, this DVD features stunning performances by Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Eddie Floyd, Arthur Conley, The Mar-Keys and the legendary Booker T. & The MGs. This DVD captures the April 7, 1967 concert in Oslo, Norway near the end of the three-week tour, when all the artists were at their very peak. The 75-minute concert was restored from the original master tapes and includes 20 minutes of recently discovered performances lost in the vaults for 40 years."

View attachment 9843

Booker T and the MGs
1. Red Beans And Rice
2. Green Onions

The Mar-Keys
3.Philly Dog
4.Grab This Thing
5.Last Night

Arthur Conley
6.In The Midnight Hour
7.Sweet Soul Music

Eddie Floyd
8. Raise Your Hand

Sam and Dave
10. Soothe Me
12. Hold On! I'm Comin'

Otis Redding
14. My Girl
15. Shake
16. Satisfaction

Simply amazing.
Hell yeah! I have an album from a different Stax Records concert (which also has a DVD) and it's great stuff from beginning to end. I like to think about what it would have felt like to actually be there when it happened with all those artists providing the soundtrack for the Civil Rights movement - - great music and sweeping cultural change all happening at the same moment. I have no way of knowing but I'd like to think I would have been on the right side of history if I'd been alive back then.

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York

While I was somewhat inclined to pick up obscure compilations, this album is essential. Strange after ignoring this scene in the main draft I now go back to back with bonus picks. This is the Nirvana I always return to. Loved Nevermind but it's hard not to love these stripped down acoustic selections from the band along with well curated covers.

Track Listing
1. About a Girl
2. Come as You Are
3. Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam
4. The Man Who Sold the World
5. Pennyroyal Tea
6. Dumb
7. Polly
8. On a Plain
9. Something in the Way
10. Plateau
11. Oh, Me
12. Lake of Fire
13. All Apologies
14. Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York

While I was somewhat inclined to pick up obscure compilations, this album is essential. Strange after ignoring this scene in the main draft I now go back to back with bonus picks. This is the Nirvana I always return to. Loved Nevermind but it's hard not to love these stripped down acoustic selections from the band along with well curated covers.

Track Listing
1. About a Girl
2. Come as You Are
3. Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam
4. The Man Who Sold the World
5. Pennyroyal Tea
6. Dumb
7. Polly
8. On a Plain
9. Something in the Way
10. Plateau
11. Oh, Me
12. Lake of Fire
13. All Apologies
14. Where Did You Sleep Last Night

I loved it too. That's why it's already nestled on my sandy Shelter Island shores from last time.

Until recently I had no idea The Man Who Sold the World was a Bowie cover.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

View attachment 9843

Booker T and the MGs
1. Red Beans And Rice
2. Green Onions

The Mar-Keys
3.Philly Dog
4.Grab This Thing
5.Last Night

Arthur Conley
6.In The Midnight Hour
7.Sweet Soul Music

Eddie Floyd
8. Raise Your Hand

Sam and Dave
10. Soothe Me
12. Hold On! I'm Comin'

Otis Redding
14. My Girl
15. Shake
16. Satisfaction

Simply amazing.
Wow. It's picks like this that make me very happy the Capt. and I agreed to expand the draft to include the "anything goes" bonus rounds. I've listened to parts of almost all the bonus picks so far and have not been disappointed.

Don't get your hopes up because this album is anything but pop music. Y moves between a combination of tight, funky bass lines, jazz inspired drumming, and reggae-like guitar tones and rhythms, and a total breakdown of rock and conventions. The guitar, bass, and drums are often accompanied by spacey piano and horn playing, dub style sound effects, and everything is held together by Mark Stewart's distant sounding distorted vocal style. Regardless of what sound is happening on the record at any given time, it's always unique and memorable. Y is to my ears the quintessential post-punk record.

Tracklist

01 - Thief of Fire
02 - Snowgirl
03 - Blood Money
04 - Savage Sea
05 - We are Time
06 - Words Disobey Me
07 - Don't Call Me Pain
08 - The Boys from Brazil
09 - Don't Sell Your Dreams

Cliff Martinez - Solaris [Original Film Score] (2002):

01 Is That What Everybody Wants
02 First Sleep
03 Can I Sit Next To You
04 Will She Come Back
05 Death Shall Have No Dominion
06 Maybe You're My Puppet
07 Don't Blow It
08 Hi Energy Proton Accelerator
09 Wear Your Seat Belt
10 Wormhole
11 We Don't Have To Think Like That Anymore

Genre(s): Film score, ambient, minimalist

Cliff Martinez is a fascinating commodity amongst composers for film. He was a one-time drummer for both the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Captain Beefheart, both of whom were selected throughout this draft. Given that pedigree, he is certainly not whom you would expect to become a long-time collaborator of an auterish director like Steven Soderbergh. Yet here we are.

It was also surprisingly difficult for me to zero in on which of Martinez's works I wanted to select for the bonus round of this draft. He has crafted a number of truly iconic film scores. Eventually I settled on Solaris. As much as I admire much of Martinez's work in film, this is a piece of music I go back to with great frequency.

From a filmmaking standpoint, I must say that I prefer Andrei Tarkovsky's adaptation of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris. That said, Soderbergh's take, while more fleet and spare, is also quite essential, and I credit much of its success to Cliff Martinez's brilliant score (it should be noted that Eduard Artemiev's score for Tarkovsky's Solaris is incredible in its own right).

One of the most wonderful details about Cliff Martinez's score for Solaris is that it is largely not electronic. I was surprised to learn this years after I pinpointed it as one of my favorite film scores. Of his work on the score, Martinez has said:

Steven has always liked to make ambient music whenever appropriate, and he wanted something like that for Solaris, but also wanted the sound of the orchestra, which is unusual because he generally prefers an electronic sound. So I had to approach it as an ambient score, but not ambient electronic, an ambient, minimalist, orchestral score. At the time I was fascinated with the baritone steel drums I had bought and put in my living room, so I was adamant about using them in the film. At the same time Steven was cutting to a lot of different types of [temporary guide] music, he was really jumping around. And the two things I really fell in love with that he had used were the work of Giorgi Ligeti and the music of Tangerine Dream, which was very rhythmic. Those two things were the biggest influences, so I would throw them together and add the baritone steel drums and some other bell-type percussion instruments. It ended up coming together really well.

It's a goddamn steel drum! Somehow, an instrument that I would have pegged as among the furthest from "futurism" is the most central component of the entire score!

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1589055151171.png

Vivere - Andrea Bocelli - 2007

The Best of Andrea Bocelli: Vivere is the first greatest hits album released by Italian pop tenor Andrea Bocelli. It includes five new studio recordings and was internationally released by Sugar on 22 October 2007. This is one of my favorite go-to albums when I just need to close my eyes and get away from the world.

Track listing
"La Voce Del Silenzio" (The Voice of Silence) - 4:55
"Sogno" (Dream) - 4:00
"Il mare calmo della sera" (The Calm Sea of the Evening) - 4:39
"Dare to live (Vivere)" (feat. Laura Pausini) - 4:18
"Canto della Terra" (Song of the Earth) - 3:59
"A Te" (To You, feat. Kenny G) - 4:09
"Bésame Mucho" (Kiss Me A Lot) - 4:02
"Mille Lune Mille Onde" (A Thousand Moons, a Thousand Waves) - 3:59
"Time to Say Goodbye" (Con te partirò)" (feat. Sarah Brightman) - 4:05
"Io ci sarò" (I'll Be There, feat. Lang Lang) - 4:49
"Romanza" (Romance) - 3:42
"Vivo per lei" (I Live for Her, feat. Giorgia) - 4:25
"Melodramma" - 4:07
"Bellissime stelle" (Beautiful Stars) - 4:14
"The Prayer" (feat. Celine Dion) - 4:27
"Because We Believe" (feat. Marco Borsato) - 4:40

Here's a soundtrack that has far outlived the relevancy of the movie in my world.

1589054440057.png

Garden State (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists (2004)

It's become clear to me I have no real idea how to format the titles of these soundtrack albums. No real solution for that, just a random musing.

Anyway, I briefly thought Garden State the film would have a place in the highly coveted upper echelon of my favorite movies. All the ingredients were there: a heartbreakingly staggering passion project of a soon-to-be generational auteur, understated indie comedic quirk and charm with deeper philosophical undertones, a carefully crafted and curated soundtrack, Natalie Portman.

Upon a second viewing years later, only half of those really stood out for me. Luckily for the purposes of this draft, one of those was the soundtrack.

Take a listen. You're gonna hear this one song. It'll change your life. I swear.

1."Don't Panic" Coldplay
2."Caring Is Creepy" The Shins
3."In the Waiting Line" Zero 7
4."New Slang" The Shins
5."I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You" Colin Hay
6."Blue Eyes"Cary Brothers
7."Fair"Remy Zero
8."One of These Things First" Nick Drake
9."Lebanese Blonde"Thievery Corporation
10."The Only Living Boy in New York" Simon & Garfunkel
11."Such Great Heights"Iron & Wine
12."Let Go" Frou Frou
13."Winding Road" Bonnie Somerville

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
So, I didn't forget to finish this, but my laptop **** the bed last week, and the emergency backup that I've had to use is a piece of garbage: it's a pain in the ass to stream anything on this, let alone load web pages with multiple media embedded on them. Add to the fact that we just opened back up, and Mother's Day week is the second-most important week of the year for us, and it hasn't been very high on my list of priorities. BUT... we appear to be in a bit of a lull right now (which is bad for me, but good for KingsFans.com, I guess), so, here you go:

@pdxKingsFan's First Five report card:

• Appetite For Destruction: Considering how I said that Led Zeppelin reminds me of junior high, in a bad way, you might think that an album in the same genre, that came out around the same time, would also reminds me of such. And you would be wrong. My memories of this album are entirely tied to my early adulthood: I was stationed aboard the USS Harry S. Truman, and we were in Mayport for Fleet Week. Some guys in my division decided that we needed to go out and find some entertainment... Long story short, I associate this album with strip clubs.
    • "Welcome to the Jungle" is a classic. "Nightrain" is okay. "Sweet Child O' Mine" is overrated, though.
  • Pet Sounds: I appreciate pdx offering me a replacement for Revolver. I wish that he'd offered a replacement for this, too, since I feel the same way about the Beach Boys that I do about the Beatles.
  • Rust in Peace: There are some metal bands that I **** with. Megadeth isn't one of them.
  • Ultraglide in Black: My impression of this band was "Great Value Jimi Hendrix," but this was actually okay. I can **** with this band, I think. I didn't need to hear garage band rock covers of "Livin' For the City" or "Got To Give it Up," though.
  • American IV: The Man Comes Around: This album was all over the place to me. "The Man Comes Around" slaps, and "Hurt" is one of the Top 3 covers of all time (and it ain't #3), but the rest of this album was super hit or miss. The qualities of Cash's voice that make his covers of "Hurt" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" sound great to me are the same qualities that make his covers of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and "Personal Jesus" sound terrible. Decent album overall, though.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
One of the bands I absolutely loved in the 80's/90's due to the high energy synth-pop/club/trance music and remixes they put out:

Erasure - Total Pop! The First 40 Hits (2009)

Totalpop.jpg

https://www.allmusic.com/album/total-pop!-the-first-40-hits-mw0001366931

I almost took their best known album in the US in the first 20 rounds, but there was no way I'd pass up on their greatest hits collection in the bonus. My biggest issue would be that I love some of the remixes better than the originals, but there is no way to work around that with one album selection. I have their earlier greatest hits CD (basically disk 1 of this collection) so a few of the songs on disk 2 I am not aware of (I don't have all their later albums). But, in addition to all their 80's/90's albums I've got around 30 of their single releases with mixes from that time and some of those are fantastic as well. My fandom of theirs definitely comes from their early work.

Upbeat Euro 80's/90's synth-pop and high-energy remixes to get your feet tapping and singing along? I'm all over it.

From allmusic:

Since their singles have always been as well chosen as they were well crafted, Total Pop! The First 40 is top-shelf Erasure the whole way through, displaying the evolution of the synth pop band through representative singles. The set is so no-frills that the first disc is actually the 1992 collection Erasure Pop! The First 20 Hits in total. With "Who Needs Love (Like That)," "Oh l'Amour," "Love to Hate You," and a slew of other big hits, it's nearly perfect and the more recognizable of the two discs, but those above casual fan status will get more use out of the second disc, where the band's later (aka lesser-known) years are well sorted. "Always," "Stay with Me," and "Sunday Girl" are disc two's big hits, "Always" getting two airings with the second being a slight remix.
From wikipedia:

From 1986 to 2007, Erasure achieved 24 consecutive Top 40 hits in the UK. By 2009, 34 of their 37 chart-eligible singles and EPs had made the UK Top 40, with 17 climbing into the Top 10. At the 1989 Brit Awards, Erasure won the Brit Award for Best British Group. They also had three Top 20 US hits with the songs "A Little Respect", and "Always", the highest charting US single (on the Billboard Hot 100) being their 1988 single "Chains of Love", which hit number 12 on the chart.
Track List:
Disk 1:
1. Who Needs Love (Like That)
2. Heavenly Action
3. Oh' L'Amour
4. Sometimes
5. It Doesn't Have to Be
6. Victim of Love
7. The Circus
8. Ship of Fools
9. Chains of Love
10. A Little Respect
11. Stop!
12. Drama!
13. You Surround Me
14. Blue Savannah
15. Star
16. Chorus
17. Love to Hate You
18. Am I Right?
19. Breath of Life
20. Take a Chance on Me
21. Who Needs Love (Like That) - Hamburg Mix

Disk 2:
1. Always
2. Run to the Sun
3. I Love Saturday
4. Stay with Me
5. Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day)
6. Rock Me Gently
7. In My Arms
8. Don't Say Your Love is Killing Me
9. Rain Plus (Al Stone Mix)
10. Freedom
11. Moon & the Sky (JC's Heaven Scent Radio Re-Work)
12. Solsbury Hill
13. Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)
14. Breathe
15. Don't Say You Love Me
16. Here I Go Impossible Again
17. I Could Fall in Love with You
18. Sunday Girl
19. Storm in a Teacup
20. Always (2009 Mix)

So, I didn't forget to finish this, but my laptop **** the bed last week, and the emergency backup that I've had to use is a piece of garbage: it's a pain in the ass to stream anything on this, let alone load web pages with multiple media embedded on them. Add to the fact that we just opened back up, and Mother's Day week is the second-most important week of the year for us, and it hasn't been very high on my list of priorities. BUT... we appear to be in a bit of a lull right now (which is bad for me, but good for KingsFans.com, I guess), so, here you go:

@pdxKingsFan's First Five report card:

• Appetite For Destruction: Considering how I said that Led Zeppelin reminds me of junior high, in a bad way, you might think that an album in the same genre, that came out around the same time, would also reminds me of such. And you would be wrong. My memories of this album are entirely tied to my early adulthood: I was stationed aboard the USS Harry S. Truman, and we were in Mayport for Fleet Week. Some guys in my division decided that we needed to go out and find some entertainment... Long story short, I associate this album with strip clubs.
    • "Welcome to the Jungle" is a classic. "Nightrain" is okay. "Sweet Child O' Mine" is overrated, though.
  • Pet Sounds: I appreciate pdx offering me a replacement for Revolver. I wish that he'd offered a replacement for this, too, since I feel the same way about the Beach Boys that I do about the Beatles.
  • Rust in Peace: There are some metal bands that I **** with. Megadeth isn't one of them.
  • Ultraglide in Black: My impression of this band was "Great Value Jimi Hendrix," but this was actually okay. I can **** with this band, I think. I didn't need to hear garage band rock covers of "Livin' For the City" or "Got To Give it Up," though.
  • American IV: The Man Comes Around: This album was all over the place to me. "The Man Comes Around" slaps, and "Hurt" is one of the Top 3 covers of all time (and it ain't #3), but the rest of this album was super hit or miss. The qualities of Cash's voice that make his covers of "Hurt" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" sound great to me are the same qualities that make his covers of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and "Personal Jesus" sound terrible. Decent album overall, though.
If you had mentioned the Beach Boys I'd have recommended the McPherson album. 10-15 are probably most relevant to my daily listening? But given there is still a game here, to pick stuff before it comes off the board, I didn't see much fun in 20 albums nobody ever heard of. I could probably go 20/20 in that regard but then it takes away from the shared group experience, I feel?

Like Trout Mask Replica isn't really my bag but it set me up well for White Choclates list. Which had a number of bands I "respect but don't listen to" :D

I didn't see much fun in 20 albums nobody ever heard of. I could probably go 20/20 in that regard but then it takes away from the shared group experience, I feel?
I'm simply trying to pick my 25 favorite records, to best represent who I am. I don't see anything wrong with a group experience where everybody can get to know who each individual actually is.

Well, it has normalized quite a bit in the bonus rounds.
My next two picks will confirm the law of averages.