TDDS - 2020 Shelter-in-Place on a Desert Island Music Draft - BONUS 5

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Now for the special announcement!
Not acceptable - Time-Life or similar collections.
By this, I believe you mean *multi-disc* collections, am I right? The 17-disc Time-Life Salute To Jimbo McWillercutsby would be out. But a single disc Time-Life "15 Songs About Bluebirds" would be OK?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
It is official. I have discussed with VF21 and we are going to run the five bonus rounds of the draft backwards, to benefit those who had the bad luck of the last picks in the original draft. That means Slim is up. I will PM him momentarily.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
This album was on my short list, and was the expensive concert I referred to earlier that my wife and I went to see (G1C in 2019 for the "Farewell Yellow Brick Road" tour). But while I like some of his music, I don't LOVE most of it, at least enough to listen frequently. Again, another artist who had his hits spread across so many albums I couldn't pick one album to be fairly representative to me. I tried to get a live album early in the draft but because it was a "greatest hits"-type selection it didn't fly. Good choice!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Didn't you guys just see me get done finished saying that I don't think I have another five albums?

Get ready for the bonus rounds - FIVE ROUNDS OF ANYTHING GOES (within certain restrictions).

Please try not to make this more complicated than it needs to be. For the bonus rounds, you can pick albums that just didn't fit into our original parameters. Sound tracks - okay. Comedy albums - good to go. Multiple artists doing a salute to a particular artist - go for it. Greatest hits - acceptable PROVIDED the artist was not selected in the first 20 rounds. Not acceptable - Time-Life or similar collections. "Leonard Nimoy reads the LA Phone Book" - sure.
Okay, fine. I think that I can come up with... hey, wait a minute...

:: looks closer ::

Greatest hits - acceptable PROVIDED the artist was not selected in the first 20 rounds.
God damn it!

Okay, fine:

New Edition - Greatest Hits, Vol. 1 (1991)

So, under the "ANYTHING GOES (with certain restrictions)" parameters, one of my "first four" CD's is still ineligible for this draft, so this is the last one. My weekend is off to a pretty ****ty start, so I don't have the temperament to do any sort of write up. This is what you get.

Track Listing:

1. Boys To Men (Remixed Version)
  2. If It Isn't Love
  3. Can You Stand The Rain
  4. Count Me Out
  5. A Little Bit Of Love (Is All It Takes)
  6. Cool It Now
  7. Mr. Telephone Man
  8. Lost In Love
  9. Candy Girl
  10. Popcorn Love
  11. Is This The End

So @pdxKingsFan called me out for not having this band on my list. I wanted to shake it up. But with an extra five, they're a band that won't be skipped.

There were a few Maiden albums I considered for this spot. But ultimately, I really love this offering: conceptually it flows together so well. It's hard hitting, melodic, and incredibly well written.

Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

Iron Maiden - Powerslave

1. "Aces High"
2. "2 Minutes to Midnight"
3. "Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)" (Instrumental)
4. "Flash of the Blade"
5. "The Duellists"
6. "Back in the Village"
7. "Powerslave"
8. "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

Holy cow what an album! I'll include some links in the morning.

I too am picking Maiden - I told @Spike that it was between Number of the Beast and Powerslave as I had Piece of Mind on my first island and I was waiting for him to pick.

But with the expanded rules of the draft, I choose the live concert video/album
Iron Maiden - Flight 666

I had also previously chosen their seminal live album released between Piece of Mind and Powerslave, and in 2008 Iron Maiden embarked on a recreation of this tour with minimal changes to the set list and it was awesome (caught the Seattle date). They also released an album and film documenting the tour, taking some of the best performances from every major stop. The big difference aside from age is the addition of third guitarist Janick Gers who joined during Adrian Smith's departure from the band. Being totally class dudes, when Smith and Dickinson returned to the band, they did not show Gers the doors and Smith kindly shared his former leads with Gers.

Iron Maiden is easily my favorite major touring act today, one of the few I have sprung the big bucks for. As a singer my dream would be to have Bruce Dickinson's playground for a night. Most recently I caught another greatest hits package of theirs last year - I managed to get floor tickets so it was the first time I had seen them up close in nearly 30 years. This is about as thorough as a greatest hits package as you can get of their golden years. The two things I really miss from the original tour setlist are Sanctuary and Die With Your Boots On, but the extra Somewhere in Time/Seventh Son and Fear of the Dark tracks more than make up for their absence.

Track List
Disc One

1. Churchill's Speech (1 February 2008)
2. Aces High (1 February 2008)
3. 2 Minutes to Midnight (7 February 2008)
4. Revelations (9 February 2008)
5. The Trooper (16 February 2008)
6. Wasted Years (22 February 2008)
7. The Number of the Beast (19 February 2008)
8. Can I Play With Madness (24 February 2008)
9. Rime of the Ancient Mariner (14 March 2008)

Disc Two
1. Powerslave (26 February 2008)
2. Heaven Can Wait (2 March 2008)
3. Run to the Hills (28 February 2008)
4. Fear of the Dark (7 March 2008)
5. Iron Maiden (9 March 2008)
6. Moonchild (12 March 2008)
7. The Clairvoyant (4 March 2008)
8. Hallowed Be Thy Name (16 March 2008)

Ah hell, here's the full documentary.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I can't make any more tough decisions on what to leave out so I'm going to handle the bonus rounds differently. I made a list of 18 more albums I would like to include, limiting myself only to artists who have not been selected yet. Then I assigned each of them a different number and used a random number generator to choose for me. The random number generator has selected numbers 5, 6, 8, 12, and 13 so I'll be presenting those picks in no particular order. I'm fairly confident none of them are in danger of being selected by anyone else but I'll just pick another random number if that happens. More importantly, I'm now absolved of any direct responsibility for the albums I didn't choose. So without further ado...

Electric Light Orchestra - Greatest Hits (1979)

(https://www.allmusic.com/album/elos-greatest-hits-mw0000189776)

01. Evil Woman
02. Livin Thing
03. Can't Get It Out of My Head
04. Showdown
05. Turn to Stone
06. Rockaria!
07. Sweet Talkin Woman
08. Telephone Line
09. Ma-Ma-Ma Belle
10. Strange Magic
11. Mr. Blue Sky
I may be applying the term incorrectly, but my understanding of the history is that bands like The Beatles and The Beach Boys with their studio experimentation in the late 60s influenced a shift in direction in the early 70s from the radio single to the album as the pre-eminent artistic statement among a group of like-minded rock musicians. And within the sub-genre which came to be described as AOR (album oriented rock) there are three bands that I consider to be essential listening. Capt. Factorial picked one of them with his last selection but the others remain as-yet unmentioned. I placed selections from the other two in my group of 18 and the RNG has decided on this one. The other band will have to remain unspoken for unless someone else is secretly a fan. Maybe you Capt? I guess we'll see.

It's ironic then that I would choose a Greatest Hits compilation rather than an actual album to represent one of my pillars of AOR but let me defend my choice here. Electric Light Orchestra, led by curly-haired multi-instrumentalist and wanna-Beatle Jeff Lynne, released 8 studio albums in the 70s and most of them have some kind of conceptual framework. With selections from 6 of those albums, this compilation feels like a broader summary of their musical progression than any single album would have. It's also how I was introduced to the band. And it's the bonus rounds where (almost) anything goes so why not?

Is their music a little ridiculous? Yep. Is it over the top? Certainly. Is it over-produced and campy? Well, those are matters of opinion. All's I know is if you can get a car full of people to belt out the multi-part call and response falsetto bits you are on a road trip to feeling better, wherever you started from and wherever your actual destination. And for that, Jeff Lynne, I give you my thanks!

Laughing Stock - Talk Talk (1991)

Even if you've disliked every other pick I've made, this might be one that you end up loving. It didn't quite make my top twenty, so I'm happy these bonus rounds allow me to pick this record. Simply stated, Laughing Stock is a post rock masterpiece. With its thoughtful sense of melody it creates a lush, ethereal experience. It carries with it a virtuosity, not in its technical difficulty, but in its masterful use of dynamics and feel. Every note feels carefully planned and serves a purpose. The vocals are soft, but hit like a ton of bricks when they come in, and at times the singer, Mark Hollis, sings the most beautiful melodies. From the first slowly strummed chord, the mood is set perfectly; a mood that provides a sense of floating. And the final song gently puts the listener down leaving him or her with a sense of ease when it is over.

Tracklist

01 - Myrrhman
02 - Ascension Day
03 - After the Flood
04 - Taphead
05 - New Grass
06 - Runeii

Last edited:
Laughing Stock - Talk Talk (1991)

Even if you've disliked every other pick I've made, this might be one that you end up loving. It didn't quite make my top twenty, so I'm happy these bonus rounds allow me to pick this record. Simply stated, Laughing Stock is a post rock masterpiece. With its thoughtful sense of melody it creates a lush, ethereal experience. It carries with it a virtuosity, not in its technical difficulty, but in its masterful use of dynamics and feel. Every note feels carefully planned and serves a purpose. The vocals are soft, but hit like a ton of bricks when they come in, and at times the singer, Mark Hollis, sings the most beautiful melodies. From the first slowly strummed chord, the mood is set perfectly; a mood that provides a sense of floating. And the final song gently puts the listener down leaving him or her with a sense of ease when it is over.

Tracklist

01 - Myrrhman
02 - Ascension Day
03 - After the Flood
04 - Taphead
05 - New Grass
06 - Runeii

Great album!! Huge fan of Talk Talk.

Hans Zimmer & Benjamin Wallfisch - Blade Runner 2049 [Original Film Score] (2017):

01 2049
02 Sapper's Tree
03 Flight to LAPD
04 Rain
05 Wallace
06 Memory
07 Mesa
08 Orphanage
09 Furnace
10 Someone Lived This
11 Joi
12 Pilot
13 Hijack
14 That's Why We Believe
15 Her Eyes Were Green
16 Sea Wall
17 All the Best Memories are Hers
18 Tears in the Rain
19 Blade Runner

Genre(s): Film score, ambient, noise, electronica

I wasn't aware we were doing a bonus round until I logged into KF.com today. What a pleasant surprise!

I didn't really have much of an organizing principle while compiling my previous twenty picks. I knew I wanted to confine my draft to releases from the last twenty years, especially since decades like the 60's and 70's were overwhelmingly represented here. The 80's and 90's were pretty well accounted for, too.

But a couple other patterns started to emerge as I made my selections. A lot of the music I love and picked for this draft has a futurist bent (or a "retro-futurist" bent). And much of it could be categorized as "cinematic." What I steered away from this time around, however, were film scores, despite the fact that if I'm listening to music in 2020, there's a good chance I'm listening to either a film score or music that sounds like it belongs to a film score.

So the bonus round seems like a great opportunity to highlight my favorite film scores from this side of the millennium. I'll begin with a selection that is very "on brand" for me, but is no less powerful for it.

One cannot overstate how revolutionary Ridley Scott's Blade Runner was from an aesthetic standpoint. But, for my money, its atmosphere was as indebted to its influential score as it was to its striking production design. And its sequel, directed by Denis Villeneuve, needed to approach its music just as intentionally. A frequent Villeneuve collaborator was initially tapped for the score, but as work on the music of Blade Runner 2049 progressed, Villeneuve thought he "needed to go back to something closer to the soundtrack [from the first film]."

Seeking a pivot away from where the score was headed, and with a tight production schedule in front of him, Villeneuve reached out to German composer Hans Zimmer, one of the most in-demand composers in Hollywood. If you have spent any time in the theater at all across the last thirty years, you know his work. He has scored everything from Rain Man to Thelma & Louise to The Lion King to The Thin Red Line to Gladiator to Pirates of the Caribbean to The Dark Knight trilogy.

Reluctant to solely take on the challenges presented by 2049 in the compressed time frame available to him, Zimmer contacted fellow composer Benjamin Wallfisch, who had previously worked with Zimmer on the score to 2016's Hidden Figures. Together, and in collaboration with Villeneuve, they quickly developed a clear aesthetic direction for the score. On working with Villeneuve, Zimmer has said, "He has an incredible way of inviting you into his genius. He asks really potent questions that are designed to make you invest in your next move and consider the deeper meaning of what he’s trying to create. He encourages you to go beyond intellectualizing and it's about emotional truth. When he likes it, you absolutely know it because it's an emotional response."

For 2049, Zimmer made the conscious decision to revive the Yamaha CS-80, the monstrous analog synthesizer that was famously employed in the creation of the score for the original Blade Runner. However, the score to 2049, just like the film it belongs to, is not simply pastiche. It does not attempt to be a carbon copy that trades on nostalgia. Nor is it strictly a loving homage. Where Blade Runner's composer approached the score to the original film with a variety of textures and moods in mind, swaying from futurist to ambient to bluesy to downright kitschy, Zimmer and Wallfisch crafted something stark and towering and monolithic for 2049 that perfectly complements the film's immense and suffocating production design.

Yet there is also a strange beauty to the buzzing, bass-laden brutalism of the score, something deeply emotional and tender that locates the humanity at the film's center. It is an exceptionally powerful and unique score, and while it is no doubt indebted to the work accomplished on the first film, it actually manages to outshine it occasionally, as well.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1588552282399.png

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds - 1978

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds was created by composer Jeff Wayne based on the 1898 novel by H. G. Wells. It features Academy Award nominated actor Richard Burton and Justin Hayward (of The Moody Blues), among others. Wayne conducts what would come to be known as the Black Smoke Band and the ULLAdubULLA string orchestra.

Jeff Wayne's musical work uses narration and leitmotifs to carry the story and rhyming melodic lyrics that express the feelings of the various characters. The two-disc album remains a bestseller, having sold 15 million copies worldwide. It has spawned multiple versions including video games, DVDs, and live tours.

LP and tape
All dialogue written by Doreen and Jerry Wayne, based upon H.G. Wells's original text.

All tracks are written by Jeff Wayne, except where noted.

Side A (Tape 1, Side A)
No. Title Performer(s) Length
1. "The Eve of the War" Justin Hayward and Richard Burton 9:06
2. "Horsell Common and the Heat Ray" Richard Burton 11:36
Side B (Tape 1, Side B)
1. "The Artilleryman and the Fighting Machine" David Essex and Richard Burton 10:36
2. "Forever Autumn" (lyrics by Paul Vigrass and Gary Osborne) Justin Hayward and Richard Burton 7:43
3. "Thunder Child" (lyrics by Gary Osborne) Chris Thompson and Richard Burton 6:10
Side C (Tape 2, Side A)
1. "The Red Weed (Part 1)" Richard Burton 5:55
2. "Parson Nathaniel" Phil Lynott and Richard Burton 1:45
3. "The Spirit of Man" (lyrics by Gary Osborne) Julie Covington, Phil Lynott, and Richard Burton 9:52
4. "The Red Weed (Part 2)" Richard Burton 6:51
Side D (Tape 2, Side B)
1. "Brave New World" (lyrics by Gary Osborne) David Essex and Richard Burton 12:13
2. "Dead London" Richard Burton 8:37
3. "Epilogue (Part 1)" Richard Burton 2:42
4. "Epilogue (Part 2)" Jerry Wayne 2:02

Total run time is about 95 minutes, meaning it was perfect for road-trip listening.

The whole album is available on YouTube.

There are a few different ways I’ve thought about playing out these surprise bonus picks. Considered simply adding five more albums from my extensive pile of leftovers, but for various reasons, decided I’d lean into the more lax rules and have a bit of fun celebrating some stellar soundtracks from film.

*And I totally thought of this way before Padrino jumped in to steal my thunder, presenting the subject more thoughtfully and eloquently than I ever could.

1588556324455.jpg

Music from the Motion Picture Pulp Fiction - Various Artists (1994)

I never ended up collecting my thoughts to expand on this. Instead, I've added a couple fun clips.

This is the first soundtrack in my personal memory that received just as much buzz as the film it accompanied. Tarantino is a self-described “classic vinyl nerd” as much as he is an obvious film savant, and the music he chooses for his films generally carry a character all their own.

Also, this gave Dick Dale and the surf rock genre an entire second life.

1."Pumpkin and Honey Bunny/Misirlou”
2."Royale with Cheese (dialogue)"
3."Jungle Boogie"
4."Let's Stay Together"
5."Bustin' Surfboards"
6."Lonesome Town"
7."Son of a Preacher Man"
8."Zed's Dead, Baby/Bullwinkle Part II"
9."Jack Rabbit Slims Twist Contest/You Never Can Tell"
10."Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon"
11."If Love Is a Red Dress (Hang Me in Rags)"
12."Bring Out the Gimp/Comanche"
13."Flowers on the Wall"
14."Personality Goes a Long Way"
15."Surf Rider"
16."Ezekiel 25:17"

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
To continue with the soundtrack theme going on right now...

American Graffiti - Original Soundtrack - Various Artists (1973)

AmericanGraffitiOST.jpg

https://www.allmusic.com/album/american-graffiti-mw0000691836

A double disk of 1950's and1960's music awesomeness. The track list speaks for itself.

From allmusic:

The soundtrack to the George Lucas film about teenage life in a small California town in the early '60s was probably the best thing about the movie, featuring several dozen outstanding early rock & roll hits. There's nothing terribly obscure here -- in fact, most of these were big smashes -- but it's a good survey of rock's early days, ranging from superstars like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and the Beach Boys to great one-shots like the Monotones, the Tempos, and Buster Brown.
Track List:
Disk 1:
1. (We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock
2. Sixteen Candles
3. Runaway
4. Why Do Fools Fall in Love?
5. That'll Be the Day
6. Fannie Mae
7. At the Hop
8. She's So Fine
9. The Stroll
10. See You in September
11. Surfin' Safari
12. (He's) The Great Imposter
13. Almost Grown
14. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
15. Little Darlin'
16. Peppermint Twist
17. Barbara Ann
18. Book of Love
19. Maybe Baby
20. Ya Ya
21. The Great Pretender

Disk 2:
1. Ain't That a Shame
2. Johnny B. Goode
3. I Only Have Eyes for You
4. Get a Job
5. To the Aisle
6. Do You Wanna Dance
7. Party Doll
8. Come Go with Me
9. You're Sixteen
10. Love Potion No. 9
11. Since I Don't Have You
12. Chantilly Lace
13. Teen Angel
14. Crying in the Chapel
15. A Thousand Miles Away
16. Heart and Soul
17. Green Onions
18. Only You (And You Alone)
19. Goodnight, Sweetheart, Goodnight
20. All Summer Long

Taking advantage of looser rules:

Private Life: The Compass Point Sessions. Grace Jones. 1998.

1588643348992.png

In pasts posts I may have commented that the music my mum listened to while I was growing up is probably one of the biggest influences on my musical taste. Just as I did with the Tracy Chapman album I selected earlier, years ago I raided my Mum's CD collection and uploaded this onto my itunes library. From wikipedia: 'Private Life: The Compass Point Sessions is a compilation of recordings by Grace Jones released in 1998 by Island Records. The two-disc anthology consists mostly of material pulled from 1980–1982 recording sessions.'

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
For my first bonus pick in the Shelter-At-Home Album Draft, I select:

Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" - Antonin Dvořák (1893)

As recorded for Laserlight by Pavel Urbanek and the Prague Festival Orchestra (1988)

Track Listing:
Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95 "From the New World"
1 Adagio - Allegro molto
2 Largo
3 Scherzo
4 Allegro con fuoco

5 Romance for Violin and Orchestra in F minor, Op. 11

6 "Carnival", Overture, Op. 92

With my first bonus pick, I'm going to grab my favorite symphony of all time (sorry, redacted guy who wrote several famous symphonies!) in Dvořák's ninth. Dvořák's contemporaries were evidently jealous of his ability to develop great melody after great melody, and he did it no better than in his ninth symphony, which is so catchy I can basically sing along with it from start to finish. And it's not just me - evidently Neil Armstrong took a copy of this symphony to the moon in 1969. I've linked the entire first movement and a splash of the second, while embedding the fiery fourth movement below (links are not from the specific performance I have selected). I had long known that the opening to the fourth movement was the inspiration for a famous redacted movie theme, but looking through the YouTube videos I also learned that it apparently spawned the recent "Baby Shark" phenomenon as it is public domain - please don't hold that against it. It's not Dvořák's fault.

Since I am taking the specific recording, that means I also get two other short Dvořák pieces included on the disc (separately recorded by Tamas Pal and the Hungarian State Orchestra) which are very nice but don't quite pack the punch that Symphony #9 does.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
When in doubt, go back to '91:

Jodeci - Forever My Lady (1991)

A cornerstone of the New Jack Swing era, Jodeci were maestros of 90s-era "makeout music." In fact, if you went to high school in the early nineties, and your first-ever makeout session did not include a Jodeci song, you weren't living right. Why do I want to listen to makeout music, if I'm sheltered-in-place on a desert island? Uh... it's probably best if you don't think about that too much.

Forever My Lady peaked at #18 on the US charts, and was certified multi-platinum by the RIAA.

Track listing (links provided to songs released as singles):
  1. "Stay"
  2. "Come and Talk to Me"
  3. "Forever My Lady"
  4. "I'm Still Waiting"
  5. "U&I"
  6. "Interlude (553-Nasty)"
  7. "My Phone"
  8. "Gotta Love"
  9. "Play Thang"
  10. "It's Alright"
  11. "Treat U"
  12. "Xs We Share"

Favorite non-singles:

Source: Wikipedia

With most people going soundtrack in this round, I think it's time to break out one of my favorites:

Screen Shot 2020-05-05 at 7.45.52 AM.png

The Crow - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

So many feels bringing this one back. It captured the dark essence of the movie nicely, and included some songs that got quite a bit of radio play when they were released. I remember as a young teen being enthralled by the soundtrack. You probably know Big Empty by STP, but check out NIN's cover of Dead Souls, as well as Darkness by RATM - a really underrated song.

1. "Burn" The Cure
2. "Golgotha Tenement Blues" Machines of Loving Grace
3. "Big Empty" Stone Temple Pilots
4. "Dead Souls" (Joy Division cover) Nine Inch Nails
5. "Darkness" Rage Against the Machine
6. "Color Me Once" Violent Femmes
7. "Ghostrider" (Suicide cover) Rollins Band
8. "Milktoast" (Also known as "Milquetoast") Helmet
9. "The Badge" (Poison Idea cover) Pantera
10. "Slip Slide Melting" For Love Not Lisa
11. "After the Flesh" My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
12. "Snakedriver" The Jesus and Mary Chain
13. "Time Baby III" Medicine
14. "It Can't Rain All the Time" Jane Siberry

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Love that soundtrack. Wouldn't pick it to shelter-in-place on a desert island, since I don't have any workout equipment here, though. "After the Flesh" was always a feature track on my "Do You Even Lift, Bro?" playlist.

I don't intend to grab a bunch of soundtracks but I previously mentioned this one so I may as well grab it...
Singles: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

This launched the era of sticking mediocre films with huge soundtracks and a recent re-watch of this film was meh... but I routinely return to this soundtrack because it is so good.

As I had said before - it has what are quite possibly my two favorite tracks by the big 4 grunge acts, Alice in Chain's Would? and Pearl Jam's State of Love and Trust.

There's a Soundgarden song, a Zep cover by members of Heart, a Hendrix tune so you've got all of Seattle's big bases covered. You've got a track from what in my opinion was hands down the best grunge act in Mudhoney. You even get Mother Love Bone. Seriously, this is my favorite album from this era.

And for all of that, I'm picking this primarily because of the two Paul Westerberg tracks. Waiting for Somebody and Dyslexic Heart. These were my gateway to the Replacements who I left out of my top 20 for no valid reason. And for the Screaming Trees' Nearly Lost You, which is right up there on my list of best individual tracks to come out of Seattle in the 90s.

Track List
Title Artist

1. Would? - Alice in Chains
2. Breath - Pearl Jam
3. Seasons - Chris Cornell
4. Dyslexic Heart - Paul Westerberg
5. The Battle of Evermore (live Led Zeppelin cover) - The Lovemongers
6. Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns - Mother Love Bone
7. Birth Ritual - Soundgarden
8. State of Love and Trust - Pearl Jam
9. Overblown - Mudhoney
10. Waiting for Somebody - Paul Westerberg
11. May This Be Love - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
12. Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees
13. Drown - The Smashing Pumpkins

Since we're relaxing the rules may as well add the bonus tracks from the 25th anniversary reissue... mostly live tracks from the movie and the re-worked version of Mudhoney's Touch Me I'm Sick as performed by Matt Damon's in-movie band.

Bonus Tracks Artist
1. Touch Me I'm Dick - Citizen Dick (Eddie Vedder, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament)
2. Nowhere But You - Chris Cornell
3. Spoon Man - Chris Cornell
4. Flutter Girl - Chris Cornell
5. Missing - Chris Cornell
6. Would? (live) - Alice In Chains
7. It Ain't Like That (live) - Alice In Chains
8. Birth Ritual (live) - Soundgarden
9. Dyslexic Heart (acoustic) - Paul Westerberg
10. Waiting for Somebody (score acoustic) - Paul Westerberg
11. Overblown (demo) - Mudhoney
12. Heart and Lungs - Truly
13. Six Foot Under - Blood Circus
14. Singles Blues I - Mike McCready
15. Blue Heart - Paul Westerberg
16. Lost In Emily's Woods - Paul Westerberg
17. Ferry Boat #3 - Chris Cornell
18. Score Piece #4 - Chris Cornell

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Sorry about the delay. I've had a long day and don't have time to add the usual bells and whistles right now but my next pick is The Lillywhite Sessions by Dave Matthews Band... never officially released as it was an unfinished album that got leaked online but the generally accepted "release" date is 2001.

(https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-lillywhite-sessions-mw0001214713)

Sweet Up and Down -

JTR -

Grey Street -

Last edited:
Have you ever been listening to your favorite industrial post-punk records and thought to yourself, "this is good, but I wish I could do the Charleston to it"? Well you're in luck, because multi-instrumentalist and one of a kind mind, J. G. Thirwell, combined industrial and post-punk with swing; and perhaps a light touch of doo wop, surf, and Saturday morning cartoon theme music. I can't say there's very much music that makes me want to dance, but this does it for me. J. G. Thirwell wrote all the music, lyrics, and performed all the parts himself on this record. He combines industrial percussion, vocals that lie somewhere on the intersection between Captain Beefheart and punk rock, swing era rhythms, poetic lyrics, and imposing strings and electronics to create a sound that is as exciting as it is brilliant.

Tracklist

01 - Clothes Hoist
02 - Lust for Death
03 - I'll Meet You in Poland Baby
04 - Hot Horse
05 - Sick Man
06 - Street of Shame
07 - Satan Place
08 - White Knuckles
09 - Water Torture
10 - Cold Day in Hell