TDDS - 2020 Shelter-in-Place on a Desert Island Music Draft - BONUS 5

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
LOL, nah, it just so happens that a bunch of the albums in my CD case/Spotify playlist were all released the same year. And there are a bunch of albums I can say I actually like better, but I've already imposed a rule on myself not to pick most of them. Like, I picked the B2M album that I prefer to Cooleyhighharmony in a previous draft, already.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
One more hint about what you can expect next round: the town we were living in when I went to high school, we lived in the black neighborhood, of course, but I still went to a predominantly white school, and I was the only black student in any of my honors classes, aside from US History and English Lit... So, when we had in-class pizza parties, or whatever, you can probably imagine the sort of music I became accustomed to listening to.

EDIT ... So, if you were planning to get away with a "steal" in the later rounds, you might want to double-check to see what was poppin' on the rock charts, between 1990 and 1993... 'Cause ain't none of that **** safe.

DOUBLE EDIT - Well... at least the filter doesn't turn it to "poopoo," any more... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One more hint about what you can expect next round: the town we were living in when I went to high school, we lived in the black neighborhood, of course, but I still went to a predominantly white school, and I was the only black student in any of my honors classes, aside from US History and English Lit... So, when we had in-class pizza parties, or whatever, you can probably imagine the sort of music I became accustomed to listening to.

EDIT ... So, if you were planning to get away with a "steal" in the later rounds, you might want to double-check to see what was poppin' on the rock charts, between 1990 and 1993... 'Cause ain't none of that crap safe.
Ok referencing your earlier story I'm now slightly confused, was 91 the year you got out of camp or were you still in HS?

and I'm on baited breath to see what this is gonna be.

I was still in high school. I graduated in '93, dropped out of college after a year, enlisted in '95. I was, relatively speaking, late on CD players.
Aside from the ability to jump tracks easily it wasn't the most sensible format. Delicate, skipped in cars, not really portable when walking whatever. I was a reasonably early adopter but my brother kept getting cassettes as well. I have a bunch in the garage and I wonder, why?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
**Quickly checks for 1991 curveballs that Slim could cause trouble with**
**Decides that any of those curveballs would be acceptable collateral damage at this point**

With my fifth pick in the Shelter-In-Place Album Draft, I select:

Fashion Nugget - Cake (1996)

Track List:
1 Frank Sinatra
2 The Distance
3 Friend is a Four Letter Word
4 Open Book
5 Daria
6 Race Car Ya-Yas
7 I Will Survive
8 Stickshifts and Safetybelts
9 Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps
10 It's Coming Down
11 Nugget
12 She'll Come Back to Me
13 Italian Leather Sofa
14 Sad Songs and Waltzes

If one wanted to design a metric that combined how early in their careers I was a fan of the band, and how big that band ended up getting, there's probably one band that takes the, erm, cake. I was in college in the Sacramento area at the right time to catch Cake just as they hit the scene. My friends and I hit several of their shows following their first release and became big fans.

One day, a carload of us were heading into San Francisco when an S.F. radio guy got really cagey about the next song coming up, teasing about how he couldn't tell us who the band was, but there was an upcoming release of which we were about to hear the first play of the first single, and boy, he sure wished he could tell us who it was but we were going to love it. Naturally, this piqued our interest. About two syllables, tops, into McCrea's spoken "Reluctantly crouched at the starting line" intro to "The Distance" the car exploded. "Cake!" "Cake!" "It's Cake!" "A new Cake album!" "Shut up, I want to hear the song!" "It's Cake!"

So the day the album (OK, CD) was released at least one of us bought it immediately, and I remember crowding around a tiny stereo in a friend's apartment to give Fashion Nugget its first whirl. The initial song was called "Frank Sinatra", which seemed like an odd title to start the album. But when we hit play, it sounded like this:

And I knew Cake had stepped up their game. The album is just front-to-back heaven. Obviously "The Distance" and their cover of "I Will Survive" are standouts, but two other covers (including the great "Sad Songs and Waltzes") also grace the album, and the album ranges from the incredibly jangly "Stickshifts and Safetybelts" to the passive-aggressive "Race Car Ya-Yas" to the indulgent "Italian Leather Sofa" to the bitter "Friend is a Four Letter Word". If I left off your favorite song, I didn't mean to, and I love that one too. I missed out on this album in the last draft - a tragedy I am rectifying right now.

(PM Sent)

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Aside from the ability to jump tracks easily it wasn't the most sensible format. Delicate, skipped in cars, not really portable when walking whatever. I was a reasonably early adopter but my brother kept getting cassettes as well. I have a bunch in the garage and I wonder, why?
Ah, the Walkman! I walked around a lot, when I was younger: I didn't live anywhere that required me to have a car until I was 23. My tape collection is tremendous.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
View attachment 9665

Grungy. Crunchy. Dirty.

A masterpiece. This may satiate my Seattle sound for now...
IMO, AIC's music evoked quite a variety of emotions in me. A lot of it had to do with the way their music and lyrics tended to blend into one giant feeling. And, being a kid of the 90s, it fed into my general feeling of angst and disillusionment.

1. "Them Bones"
2. "Dam That River"
3. "Rain When I Die"
4. "Down in a Hole"
5. "Sickman"
6. "Rooster"
7. "Junkhead"
8. "Dirt"
9. "God Smack"
10. "Intro (Dream Sequence)/Iron Gland" (sometimes unlisted or listed as "Untitled")
11. "Hate to Feel"
12. "Angry Chair"
13. "Would?"
Ah, there it is. Scratching this off my list now. Layne Staley is incredible, RIP.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Not sure I have any intention of revisiting Seattle during this draft but I'd definitely consider picking the Singles soundtrack were it eligible as it contains possibly my favorite single AIC and PJ songs plus some other stuff I really like. And those others dip on and off of spotify for whatever reason to my utter and total frustration.

Really dated and crap movie though. :D

also: is my institution the only one using WebEx? Everyone is Zoom Zoom Zoom. It's like a Mazda ad.
Agreed. That soundtrack rules. The movie not so much. It has a great Smashing Pumpkins track too that isn't found anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe we should have an online educators thread. I'm working on getting telehealth simulations going but I guess today could have been a little more productive. that's ok because I have to do a bunch of linked in learning tonight when the house goes quiet.

*mods could you copy/move the relevant portions and help us get that going if others want?

Don't forget Bargain was also a staple of classic rock radio in the 80s/90s not sure whether it was when it came out. I'd say Baba, Won't Get Fooled..., and Behind Blue Eyes are the big highlights. Plus the middle inadvertently helped produce one of the better political quotes of the last 20 years.

Don't forget Bargain was also a staple of classic rock radio in the 80s/90s not sure whether it was when it came out. I'd say Baba, Won't Get Fooled..., and Behind Blue Eyes are the big highlights. Plus the middle inadvertently helped produce one of the better political quotes of the last 20 years.
Bargain was the second song right behind Baba O’Riley. Thanks forgot to mention it.
It was a very interesting time not only for our country but the music that came out from the middle 60’s to the middle 70’s was just life changing and emotional at the time.

So much protest and liberating changes in the country’s and its reflected in the music.

Vietnam affected everyone in all walks of life. Although my draft number (18) was the first year they chose not to draft anyone most of us had either family or friends that, well we all know what it was like and lived with it.

Last edited:
Freetown Sound. Blood Orange. 2016.

1585702762860.png

This was the first Blood Orange album I purchased. Dev exploits every little pop groove he can on his way to saying 'it's ok to be yourself'. Another all-influences album that channels [unnamed artists] while still sounding new.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
maybe we should have an online educators thread. I'm working on getting telehealth simulations going but I guess today could have been a little more productive. that's ok because I have to do a bunch of linked in learning tonight when the house goes quiet.

*mods could you copy/move the relevant portions and help us get that going if others want?
Certainly. Give me the post #s and I'll copy/move the relevant portions. ;) At this point, even if it's a discussion with only 2 or 3 participants, it's still worth helping you guys out.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I was trying to get an album approved, but those darn rules keep getting in the way. ;) Oh well, on to the next one!

Scorpions - Crazy World (1990)

https://www.allmusic.com/album/crazy-world-mw0000309561

Scorpions - Crazy World.jpg

While it doesn't have their most famous song on it, this is their album I like the best. I caught both of their Tease Me, Please Me and Crazy World tours in Sacramento in 1991 after this album was released. This album is solid top to bottom, with Tease Me, Please Me, Don't Believe Her, To Be with You in Heaven, Wind of Change, and Send Me an Angel surrounded by other solid entries.

From allmusic:

Their longtime producer, Dieter Dierks, was replaced with well-known rock producer Keith Olsen, who would produce Crazy World and assist in making it one of the Scorpions' greatest recordings. Their music had certainly changed since (redacted), sounding a little bit heavier and less glamorous. But even with the metal sound, the songs remain melodic and catchy. The power ballads on the album, "Wind of Change" and "Send Me an Angel," are arguably two of the band's greatest slow numbers, boasting soothing harmony and lyrics. Crazy World remains the Scorpions' finest '90s album and is sure to please its listeners.
Track List:
1. Tease Me, Please Me
2. Don't Believe Her
3. To Be with You in Heaven
4. Wind of Change
5. Restless Nights
6. Lust or Love
7. Kicks After Six
8. Hit Between the Eyes
9. Money and Fame
10. Crazy World
11. Send Me an Angel

Last edited:
Slim has gotten into my head. I went into this assuming our paths would rarely cross, but now his surprise picks and cryptic warnings have me paranoid everything I want from the early 90s is going to find its way onto Slim’s roster unless I act fast.

Well played sir. But I refuse to panic buy. Sticking with my game plan, and taking the album that continues to rock my face off seven years after I first took a swing at it trying to pad my wishlist last time.
1585712548020.jpg

... Like Clockwork - Queens of the Stone Age (2013)

A friend mentioned this as a real banger shortly after the last draft started. Desperate for more options, I gave it a shot, liked it enough to put it on my wishlist, only to see Gadget take it the very next day. Oh well, no big loss. Plus, her write-up was far better than anything I could articulate and made me even more interested.

Since then, while Gadget’s write-up is still far better than anything I could articulate (as were most things she wrote), this album has become a member of my regular rotation, and includes a few songs on my short list of “intro music” choices if I were a big league closer or pro wrestler.

Every single song has this simultaneously dark and brooding, but empowered energy to it. It’s like Batman’s soundtrack if he lightened-up a bit, gained electrical powers, and started shredded on the guitar. I don’t even know what the really means, but it sounds weirdly awesome so I’m sticking with it.

Weirdly awesome. That’s perfect.

I had initially heard the album was inspired by frontman Josh Homme recovering from a traumatic near-death car crash ... but evidently it was actually a nearly botched routine knee surgery. Takes a bit of the bite off the premise, but no matter. Near-death is near-death and still fertile ground for the dark arts of awesome brooding rock.

There is not a skip song for me on the tracklist, but my personal favorites come at the end with Smooth Sailing and the single I Appear Missing.

Tracklist

1."Keep Your Eyes Peeled"
2."I Sat by the Ocean"
3."The Vampyre of Time and Memory"
4."If I Had a Tail"
5."My God Is the Sun"
6."Kalopsia"
7."Fairweather Friends"
8."Smooth Sailing"
9."I Appear Missing"
10."...Like Clockwork"

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1585724156608.png

Willy and the Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival - 1969

John Fogarty was one of the voices of my generation. This album is my favorite from CCR simply because even after all these years I remember the words to all the songs. There isn't a bad one in the bunch.

In 1970 I spent a lot of time creating mixtapes to send to friends "in country". Songs off this album were always popular, with "Fortunate Son" and "The Midnight Special" leading the list, followed by "It Came Out of the Sky." Even after all these years, hearing those songs triggers the images of young men I went to school with who were here one day and halfway around the world the next. Two of them never came home so they remain in my memory as teenagers. In a way, picking this album honors them. This one is for you, Ned and Mike.

Track list:
1 Down on the Corner
2 It Came Out of the Sky
3 Cotton Fields
4 Poorboy Shuffle
5 Feeling Blue
6 Fortunate Son
7 Don't Look Now
8 The Midnight Special
9 Side O' the Road
10 Effigy

I haven't looked back on the old drafts, so I don't know if/when this album was taken but I feel better now that I know it's safe on my island.

Alcest - Kodama (2016):

01 Kodama
02 Éclosion
03 Je suis d'ailleurs
04 Untouched
05 Oiseaux de proie
06 Onyx
07 Notre sang et nos pensées

Genre(s): Shoegaze, black metal, post-rock

My next selection comes by way of Bagnols-sur-Cèze, France. Alcest make music that I would classify as brutally beautiful, and Kodama is their best album in my estimation. It is equal parts blissful and haunting, soothing and chaotic, regal and despairing. It's a work of seesawing emotion, in other words, metal that's less for the moshpit and more for a contemplative hike through the Misty Mountains. Kodama is rich with texture and worth a listen if you have an interest in heavy music that is balanced by delicate beauty.

Kontakte - Karlheinz Stockhausen (1964)

R-2389136-1536333814-1867.jpeg.jpg

Karlheinz Stockhausen is one of the fathers of electronic music and contemporary classical music, and subsequently is one of the most important composers of the twentieth century. From musique concrète to Krautrock, a lot of my favorite music is early, experimental electronic music. Before one could go to the store and buy a synthesizer, artists had to invent means to create electronic sounds and Karlheinz Stockhausen was one of the key innovators. He experimented with electronic media and tape to create a wide array of sounds and compositional techniques. Musique concrète relies on taping sounds, and manipulating the tape to create otherworldly sounding compositions. It is one of my very favorite genres, and Kontakte is in my opinion the finest example of it.

Tracklist

01 - Teil 1
02 - Teil 2

Last edited:
Kontakte - Karlheinz Stockhausen (1964)

Karlheinz Stockhausen is one of the fathers of electronic music and contemporary classical music, and subsequently is one of the most important composers of the twentieth century. From musique concrète to Krautrock, a lot of my favorite music is early, experimental electronic music. Before one could go to the store and buy a synthesizer, artists had to invent means to create electronic sounds and Karlheinz Stockhausen was one of the key innovators. He experimented with electronic media and tape to create a wide array of sounds and compositional techniques. Musique concrète relies on taping sounds, and manipulating the tape to create otherworldly sounding compositions. It is one of my very favorite genres, and Kontakte is in my opinion the finest example of it.

Great pick! Stockhausen's work is incredible.