TDDS - 2020 Shelter-in-Place on a Desert Island Music Draft - BONUS 5

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Dreaded Delayed Season...

A long, long time ago in a thread far away, Mr. S£im brought us a gift he admittedly stole. When the Kings hit rock bottom - and a lot of our fans went on extended hiatus - we quit doing those draft threads. Last year, however, we resurrected one and it seemed to go pretty well.

This season is up in the air with no idea what will happen...or when. I decided to revisit the original draft thread theme - and go once again with albums. I'll flesh out the details within the next few days. At this point, I'd just like to see how many people are interested.

I'll give it a couple of days and then we'll start. It'll be a straight draft - not serpentine - and if people want to jump in once it's started we'll figure something out.

Wanna do it?

Participants:
1. VF21
2. Turgenev
3. Capt. Factorial
4. Warhawk
5. Hrdboild
6. whitechocolate
7. Cojc
8. Padrino
9. Löwenherz
10. pdxKingsFan
11. Spike
12. Joker

DRAFT ORDER:
1. Capt. Factorial
2. Cojc
3. Turgenev
4. Warhawk
5. Lowenherz
6. VF21
7. Padrino
8. whitechocolate
9. Hrdboild
10. pdxKingsFan
11. Spike
12. Mr. S£im Citrus

Due to moderator neglect, the results cannot be posted in-thread, so there is a separate thread for results:
Results Thread

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
These were Mr. S£im's original rules (with a couple of VF21 modifications):

Okay, so here's the concept: You're ordered to shelter-in-place all by yourself for who-knows-how-long. Unfortunately, at the time the order is issued, you're vacationing on a desert island. You have a water cooler, unlimited supply of food, and a solar powered MP3/CD/Record Player/8-Track. What albums do you bring?

Design: Upon deciding the draft order, each poster will select an album that they want for their island (e.g., I have the number one pick, and I choose Spice by the Spice Girls. I would then write a brief reason why I chose that album at 1.01. Even something as simple as "Wannabe was the underrated hits of the mid-90s, and it changed my life" would be acceptable. Then the poster at pick 1.02 would pick their album, so on and so forth.

After the completion of all 20 rounds, a series of polls will be set up with the posters and their "collections," and KF.com would vote on the best collection. Winners will be advanced every week, playoff-style, until we get to the Finals.

I hereby declare myself the commissioner, and for the time being, the sole arbiter of any contention regarding the draft. Now, here are the rules:

- 20 Rounds (Straight order, not serpentine)
- PM the person after you when their pick is up.
- Must post a brief writeup on why you chose the album you did.
- You cannot choose: Re-Released Albums, Greatest Hits, Boxed Sets, Compilations (Tributes, Movie Soundtracks, Mixtapes), Bootlegs.
- THIS IS A MUSIC ONLY DRAFT! Comedy/spoken word/etc. not accepted.
- All else is fair game from 1800's - 2020. Note: Original movie score soundtracks (e.g. Star Wars) are okay, soundtracks (e.g. Above the Rim, The Crow) are not.
- 24 hour deadline between picks. After 24 hours, the pick advances to the next person. The person whose pick was skipped may still make their pick until the end of the round, but they will no longer have priority (i.e., If I miss my pick, and then Bricklayer picks after me, and he picks Spiceworld, that album is off the table; I can't go back and pick it, even though I technically picked "first."
- If the pick gets back to you before you make your pick from the previous round, you forfeit your pick from the round you missed, and will be an album short at the end.
- You can also PM your pick to me or somebody else and have them post for you if you know you'll be gone.
- Winner will be determined by a board wide vote on who has obtained the best collection.

NOTE: allmusic.com will be the defacto source for album information, much like IMDB was the source for movie data. You can link to allmusic.com and post a picture of the album cover. Please do not post a link to YouTube (or other music sites) to the entire album as this created problems in the past.

------------------------------------------------------------
Some further modifications may be made. If we determine we want 16 participants and don't get them all right away, we could use the "joker" option we initiated in the Movie Draft of 2018.

We could also lessen the 24 hour pick deadline. If everyone "watches" the thread, there should be no reason for someone to have to take 24 hours to make a pick.

I'm challenging @Mr. S£im Citrus to participate since he started the whole thing back in 2008. If you sign up and want to throw out a challenge, feel free to do so.

Let's make this fun.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
These were Mr. S£im's original rules (with a couple of VF21 modifications):

Okay, so here's the concept: You're ordered to shelter-in-place all by yourself for who-knows-how-long. Unfortunately, at the time the order is issued, you're vacationing on a desert island. You have a water cooler, unlimited supply of food, and a solar powered MP3/CD/Record Player/8-Track. What albums do you bring?
Just for you, Capt.

We start sheltering in place come Monday night at midnight in Ohio. I have a ton of books,
But my record collection is not the biggest but have like 800 cleaned and sleeved alblums and another 4 or 5 hundred not cleaned or not worth doing it unless I really want to listen to it.

Now my cd stash is around 500 or so and is more versatile from rock, county, hip hop and so on...

So tonight I will pull out a couple of albums and play one with my headphones on (My cat hates it when I crank it up) before bedtime.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: DO NOT mention specific artists or albums in this thread. One of the things that will make a participant the most crazy is if someone drops a name that they're planning on drafting. ;)

My wife and I were overseas for the last five weeks. Australia first. Then New Zealand. We had to cut our trip short, and just lived through a very stressful week trying to get home.

When we left in mid-February, Australia was still on fire. When we returned to Sacramento this weekend, it felt like the entire world had been lit aflame.

All of that said, I could certainly use a good old fashioned KF.com Desert Island Music Draft to launch the beginning of my self-quarantine. I'm in.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Participants:
1. VF21
2. Turgenev
3. Capt. Factorial
4. Warhawk
5. Hrdboild
6. whitechocolate
7. Cojc
Just to be sure, I'm not certain Cojc confirmed participation, just talked about listening to music. Should probably get a thumbs up/thumbs down for clarity.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, I'm gonna put in a couple (well, 3) joker slots and get this party started.

The randomizer says the draft order will be: 3, 7, 2, 4, 9, 1, 8, 6, 5, 10, 11, 12 (I set the randomizer for 9 slots and then put the jokers at the end). Thus, our draft order is:

Draft order:
1. Capt. Factorial
2. Cojc
3. Turgenev
4. Warhawk
5. Lowenherz
6. VF21
7. Padrino
8. whitechocolate
9. Hrdboild
10. pdxKingsFan
11. Spike
12. Mr. S£im Citrus

Due to moderator neglect, the results cannot be posted in-thread, so there is a separate thread for results:
Results Thread

Please review the rules as shown above. Remember www.allmusic.com is the go-to site for album information. No links to YouTubes of complete albums because of previous bandwidth problems. Links to ONE song off the album are acceptable and encouraged, along with a brief overview of what the album means to you and why you chose it. Please, no profanity in keeping with the family-friendly nature of KF.

Capt. Factorial is on the clock. I will send him a PM.

If someone wants to jump in as one of the jokers, let me know.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Wow, so I'm #1 for I think the first time ever in a TDO(D)S draft! Lucky me!

For the first pick in the Coronavirus Shelter-In-Place Draft, I select:

Led Zeppelin - Untitled (1971) (Usually referred to as Led Zeppelin IV, or "runes" or "Zoso" based on a symbol Jimmy Page created for the record label)

Track List:
1 Black Dog
2 Rock and Roll
3 The Battle of Evermore
4 Stairway to Heaven
5 Misty Mountain Hop
6 Four Sticks
7 Going to California
8 When the Levee Breaks

I've decided that to make things at least a bit interesting, I'm not allowing myself to select any albums that I selected in the most recent album draft. That means that perhaps my #1 album isn't available even at the first pick. That's OK, because I'm getting an all-time classic that I missed out on last time around. There really isn't a weak song on Led Zeppelin's fourth album, and when you're loaded up with songs like Black Dog, Rock and Roll, The Battle of Evermore, Going to California, and When the Levee Breaks, you can't go wrong.

Of course, I didn't mention one song, and that's because I wanted to talk about it specifically. I remember back to my college days, when young freshmen would sit around in the dorms and b.s. about anything that came to mind, while definitely trying to be as contrarian as possible. During one of those probably late-night sessions, a fellow student posed a question to the group: "What's the best Led Zeppelin song? And don't say 'Stairway' because everybody knows that 'Stairway' is the most over-rated song in history." I played along, and I picked a different song, but I knew explicitly that his premise was wrong. Stairway to Heaven is the best Led Zeppelin song, and it's not particularly close. Just as today people still listen to 300-year-old Vivaldi because of exactly one piece - 1725's The Four Seasons - in 300 years from now, people will still be listening to Led Zeppelin for exactly one reason. And just like when you mention Vivaldi's name those well-versed in music will immediately think "The Four Seasons", when you mention Led Zeppelin to a music fan 300 years from now, that fan will immediately think "Stairway to Heaven". Well, I get to listen to Stairway as many times as I like while I'm sheltering in place!

(PM sent to cojc)

Last edited:
I remember running to tower records trying to figure out which album free fallin was was on. Have had most formats its come out on and several more times than once. I will most always have a copy in my car of (full moon fever).

I really liked zombie zoo and well most all of the album. 623BDF2E-5863-4E72-BD9B-C49F64AA6E97.jpeg
Pm to Turgenev #3

Last edited:
Kendrick Lamar. Good kid, m.A.A.d city. 2012.

1585542927554.png

I’ve recently considered whether I am less able to enjoy new music as much as I used to. Then I list out in my head all the current artists making great albums as evidence of my ability to still get something out new releases. I do think I find it harder for me to find new stuff that I like now compared to before – but this is much easier to deal with than an inability to be satisfied with anything that might come out tomorrow. So – to celebrate that my ears still have a future – I’m going to spend my first X number of rounds picking out current artists or (relatively) new releases that I like. For me, Kendrick is a generational talent. His albums are just great and am happy to have this on my list.

This song seems to clear the explicit restrictions:

PM sent

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Wow, so I'm #1 for I think the first time ever in a TDO(D)S draft! Lucky me!

For the first pick in the Coronavirus Shelter-In-Place Draft, I select:

Led Zeppelin - Untitled (1971) (Usually referred to as Led Zeppelin IV, or "runes" or "Zoso" based on a symbol Jimmy Page created for the record label)

I've decided that to make things at least a bit interesting, I'm not allowing myself to select any albums that I selected in the most recent album draft. That means that perhaps my #1 album isn't available even at the first pick. That's OK, because I'm getting an all-time classic that I missed out on last time around. There really isn't a weak song on Led Zeppelin's fourth album, and when you're loaded up with songs like Black Dog, Rock and Roll, The Battle of Evermore, Going to California, and When the Levee Breaks, you can't go wrong.

Of course, I didn't mention one song, and that's because I wanted to talk about it specifically. I remember back to my college days, when young freshmen would sit around in the dorms and b.s. about anything that came to mind, while definitely trying to be as contrarian as possible. During one of those probably late-night sessions, a fellow student posed a question to the group: "What's the best Led Zeppelin song? And don't say 'Stairway' because everybody knows that 'Stairway' is the most over-rated song in history." I played along, and I picked a different song, but I knew explicitly that his premise was wrong. Stairway to Heaven is the best Led Zeppelin song, and it's not particularly close. Just as today people still listen to 300-year-old Vivaldi because of exactly one piece - 1725's The Four Seasons - in 300 years from now, people will still be listening to Led Zeppelin for exactly one reason. And just like when you mention Vivaldi's name those well-versed in music will immediately think "The Four Seasons", when you mention Led Zeppelin to a music fan 300 years from now, that fan will immediately think "Stairway to Heaven". Well, I get to listen to Stairway as many times as I like while I'm sheltering in place!

(PM sent to cojc)
Nice pick! :) I do like Stairway, but I feel like it's been emulated by so many other people that the meandering intro followed by huge mid-song left turn into headbanger territory is a fix I can get in a lot of other places. The thunderous John Bonham stomp of When the Levee Breaks stands alone though and that's why it's the top of the Zeppelin mountain for me. A big drum kit in a huge stairway and a drummer trying to put his foot right through the drum head... that's my stairway to heaven!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I remember running to tower records trying to figure out which album free fallin was was on. Have had most formats its come out on and several more times than once. I will most always have a copy in my car of (full moon fever).

I really liked zombie zoo and well most all of the album. View attachment 9634
Pm to Turgenev #3
Man, Tower Records... used to be there was a record store in every town. Times have sure changed!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Kendrick Lamar. Good kid, m.A.A.d city. 2012.

I’ve recently considered whether I am less able to enjoy new music as much as I used to. Then I list out in my head all the current artists making great albums as evidence of my ability to still get something out new releases. I do think I find it harder for me to find new stuff that I like now compared to before – but this is much easier to deal with than an inability to be satisfied with anything that might come out tomorrow. So – to celebrate that my ears still have a future – I’m going to spend my first X number of rounds picking out current artists or (relatively) new releases that I like. For me, Kendrick is a generational talent. His albums are just great and am happy to have this on my list.

PM sent
It took me awhile to warm up to Kendrick. He didn't fit into the groove-centric, soul-sampling, smooth-flow sound that characterized "conscious" rap in the first decade of the 2000s. What was clear from the beginning though is that he was an artist with something new to say and an endless reserve of inventive ways to say it. And history has shown that his impact on the culture is immense. This set the bar for the new generation to strive for and made all the artists I listen to sound dated in comparison. I'm not really going to get down to a Kendrick album, but I respect his talent and I can appreciate why others would consider him among the greatest ever.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Holy cow - sorry, didn't realize this thing started already! I expected it to be another few days before we fired this up. :)

I haven't researched anything yet, but I already know that I absolutely couldn't be without this album.

Def Leppard - Hysteria (1987)

https://www.allmusic.com/album/hysteria-mw0000650061

1987---Hysteria(1).jpg
My favorite rock band and this is the album that really put them on the map.

From allmusic:

The strong pop hooks and "perfect"-sounding production of Hysteria may not appeal to die-hard heavy metal fans, but it isn't heavy metal -- it's pop-metal, and arguably the best pop-metal ever recorded. Its blockbuster success helped pave the way for a whole new second wave of hair metal bands, while proving that the late-'80s musical climate could also be very friendly to veteran hard rock acts, a lead many would follow in the next few years.
From wikipedia:

It is Def Leppard's best-selling album to date, selling over 25 million copies worldwide, including 12 million in the US, and spawning seven hit singles. The album charted at number one on both the Billboard 200 and the UK Albums Chart. The title of the album was thought up by drummer Rick Allen, referring to his 1984 auto accident and the ensuing worldwide media coverage surrounding it.
Following the accident, the band stood by Allen's decision to return to the drum kit despite his disability, using a combination electronic/acoustic kit with a set of electronic pedals that triggered (via MIDI) the sounds that he would have played with his left arm.

The success of the album's fourth single, "Pour Some Sugar on Me" would propel the album to the top of the US Billboard 200 albums chart on July 23, 1988, nearly a year after its release - topping the chart three separate times for a combined total of six weeks. In the Billboard issue dated 8 October 1988, Def Leppard held the No. 1 spot on both the singles and album charts with "Love Bites" and Hysteria, respectively.

[Hyseria] topped the UK and U.S. album charts. The album spawned seven hit singles, including the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 number one "Love Bites", alongside "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Hysteria", "Armageddon It", "Animal", "Rocket", and "Women".

Hysteria went on to dominate album charts around the world for three years. It was certified 12x platinum by the RIAA in 2009. The album currently sits as the 51st best selling album of all time in the US. It spent 96 weeks in the US top 40, a record for the 1980s it ties with Born in the U.S.A.

They are one of only five rock bands with two original studio albums selling over 10 million copies in the U.S.
When I was young, I generally didn't listen to a whole bunch of music other than what my folks had on the radio in the car. Def Leppard was one of the first bands I ever heard the music from at a friend's house that made me actually start buying albums. I love their sound and really admire Rick Allen for being able to continue being the drummer for one of the best selling music artists after losing his arm.

I've seen them in concert 7 times over 3 decades (1992, 1993, 2006, 2015, 2016, 2018, and 2019) and have tickets to see them on the Stadium Tour in July in San Francisco if it doesn't get canceled or postponed. :p

Track listing:
1. Women
2. Rocket
3. Animal
4. Love Bites
5. Pour Some Sugar on Me
6. Armageddon It
7. Gods of War
8. Don't Shoot Shotgun
9. Run Riot
10. Hysteria
11. Excitable
12. Love and Affection

Probably their most famous song; the last one added to this album on a whim:

And my other favorites:

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Holy cow - sorry, didn't realize this thing started already! I expected it to be another few days before we fired this up. :)

I haven't researched anything yet, but I already know that I absolutely couldn't be without this album.

Def Leppard - Hysteria (1987)

View attachment 9635
Saw that you had picked, scrolled down to see what it was and the cover jumped right out before I even saw any text. "Yep, of course!" I thought to myself.

I actually had this on a haphazard list of albums I might take, but definitely had it prioritized quite a bit lower in the draft. In some ways I feel I don't even need this album in my quarantine, because it's just so deeply in my brain anyway. But I'm glad you took it early and gave it some recognition.

Like Cap, I won't be repeating any of my picks from last time, but not due to any kind of "extra challenge' rational. I am by no means enough of a musical aficionado or connoisseur to claim my deep sonic knowledge will be drudging up underappreciated and ignored hidden gems.

My win last time was a fluke. I barely had enough albums I'd heard all the way through, let alone could call my "favorites," to cobble together a full roster. I resorted to picking albums I'd found and liked well enough from a series of "best of all-time" lists, or unabashedly stealing artists I'd discovered through the picks of other drafters. Miraculously, that was enough to sway a slim majority on this board and earn me a Golden Toilet from Brick. I didn't know much about music then, and I only know a little bit more now, but at least I can say my pre-draft wish-list has expanded from a few dozen to nearly 60 in the years since.

Rather than claiming to challenge myself, I'm instead approaching this draft as though my 25 previously selected albums are already nestled safely on my island awaiting my arrival, and now I'll be expanding that collection with some I missed out on last time (read: will be shamelessly stealing from others again) or have newly discovered since our last go-around. For the most part, all of my picks are albums that either didn't exist, or I didn't KNOW existed, until the last draft.

With at least one very important exception:

First up is what had been at the time and remains to this day my proverbial "favorite of all-time" album, and the one that got me interested in exploring the medium altogether. I foolishly let it slip away trying to be cute, thinking it was the least likely to be taken among my top choices, and I could spend the first few rounds snagging some big name monsters while stashing my far-and-away personal favorite until later.

Cap then callously stabbed my heart with an ice pick, took my beloved favorite album with his top choice, and caused me to whine about it for the rest of the draft and beyond.

But no more. Today I right a wrong. I'm glad we can both be enjoying Zoso on our respective islands, Cap. I'm sure you won't mind if I return the favor, and borrow what should have been mine all along.

OK Computer - Radiohead (1997)

Ahhh, that's better.

In truth, I very nearly did it again, almost talking myself into letting this slip a few rounds, focusing on a pair of albums I'm confident won't be here the next time I step to the podium, whereas this has a chance to be still chilling in the green room (especially with the villainous Cap out of contention). Plus, the logic to leave it exposed is there: The Radiohead album I picked up last time as my "silver medal" now would probably only be my 6th or 7th favorite of their entire 9 album catalogue. I have plenty to choose from as back-ups to fill the gap if OK Computer was lost to me again.

But no, not letting that happen again. I might have flipped a table and rage-quit this whole draft if I saw this album cover pop-up in someone else's post.

This was the first album I ever sought out and purchased for myself. For more than a year, it was the only album I even owned or considered owning. I have played the CD so many times during the past decade, it is warped and scratched to oblivion, and I will soon be happily replacing it with CD, digital, and vinyl versions.

So, brass tacks: Why do I love this album so much?

It's like a hypnotic, lucid dream of phantasmagorical sci-fi fantasy. Or to be less hyperbolic, I believe it to be a perfect balance between experimental and accessible music with exciting and subversive themes set to a simultaneously eerily alien and comfortably zen sound. To me, the ideal gateway into an expanded appreciation of pop art music. It certainly was mine.

I remember my first time listening to OK Computer and being absolutely mesmerized by what I thought of as a truly unique and bold approach to music. I'd grown accustomed to the standard Verse-Bridge-Chorus factory of radio-friendly music and songs about romantic love or hating your parents.

- But here was Paranoid Android seemingly doing whatever the heck it wanted, with abstractly grotesque lyrics, a Speak-And-Spell refusing to believe it's artificial, and suddenly the gnarliest baseline drop I have ever heard.

- Here was Subterranean Homesick Alien creating a serenely nostalgic atmosphere for a story about a guy getting abducted and returned by aliens, and wishing they'd take him back.

- Here was Fitter, Happier bringing back the Speak-and-Spell to be super eerie and weird, but somehow also transfixing and completely appropriate within the context of the album.

- Here was an album that wasn't merely a set list of unrelated songs, but indeed a "concept album" (a term I'd never previously known) with a unified theme of technology and alienation.

I love every song on this album from the smooth stage-setter of Airbag to the ending chime of The Tourist, and the sonic, surreal journey it takes me on. I am glad it is finally coming home to my island.

Where it belongs.
I like to think of the first four songs as their own EP of transcendent meditation, with Airbag setting the stage by being comfortingly basic, soothing the listener into a trance. Then Paranoid Android and Subterranean Homesick Alien come along, taking the listener on a metaphysical journey through the surreal and sublime, only for Exit Music (For a Film) to bring the listener back into the present.

This up-and-down meditation theme continues with Let Down taking the listener back into the trance of Karma Police and the surreal hypnosis of Fitter, Happier. Finally Electioneering brings the listener back up one last time, before Climbing Up the Walls prepares him or her for the final stretch of No Surprises and Lucky right up through The Tourist, reminding the listener to slow down in the album's version of savasana, before bringing it all to an end with a little chime, like how yogis signal the end of a meditation.

Tracklist

1: Airbag
2: Paranoid Android
3: Subterranean Homesick Alien
4: Exit Music (For a Film)
5: Let Down
6: Karma Police
7: Fitter Happier
8: Electioneering
9: Climbing up the Walls
10: No Surprises
11: Lucky