Tank for the lottery? (merged)

I just want the Kings to win games and play great for the rest of the year, Its not just about the Championship or playoffs, Its about enjoying watching your favourite team work together and succeed. As corny as that may sound....

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
But there comes a time when we must rebuild. We cant contend with the lineup we have, so we should play with it for what reason? The goal of the franchise is to bring a championship to Sacramento and all Kings fans, not to play hard every night and win some games. (GS over past few years)

If we cant win anything meaningful by playing now, then its time to look at the future.
Believe it or not more than likely the players playing the game do not think once about "tanking" the season. They want to do the best they can.

In case you didn't notice the team is already rebuilding or rebuilt if you will. There would be no reason for the Kings to tank it. They can make moves in the offseason if need be and they have a very solid core group. One or more pieces may be moved from that group but hoping to get a high draft pick isn't the solution. If you go after a lottery pick you are usually doing that b/c you have nothing to begin with. We are not the worst team in the league, talent wise, by any stretch of the imagination and we are not starting from the ground up. At full health and with experience together, I think this team is a "contender".

A

AriesMar27

this draft is weak as hell anyways..... we wouldnt get a top pick so whats the point?

lets just wait until the offseason... utah will blow chunks and we can trade thomas and corliss for boozer......

Why would you ever want to throw away a chance at a championship?

We may not have the best odds. But when you're in the playoffs, you have a chance.

It might be fun to enter the playoffs with no expectations. And what have we ever done, anyway? In the modern Kings era, how many times have we won more than one playoff series.....yup, once.

When our team comes back healthy, we've got a lot of different looks to throw at teams...check out our all-defense team: BJax, Cat, Peja, Ostertag and Thomas/Skinner.

Or what if 2 out of Cat, Bibby and Peja get hot....while Evans collects the rare miss for a putback dunk? Are we really that scared of Dallas? Phoenix? Seattle?

A

AriesMar27

ESP47 said:
Why would you ever want to throw away a chance at a championship?

We may not have the best odds. But when you're in the playoffs, you have a chance.
either put down the pipe, or puff, puff, pass..... cause you must be on some good [explicit] to actually think that..... unless you think that there is a chance for a freak accident.... which we all know is possible.... well... not for other teams, just ours.....

puff, puff, pass...... thats some good [explicit]:D:D:D

SacTownKid said:
Believe it or not more than likely the players playing the game do not think once about "tanking" the season. They want to do the best they can.

In case you didn't notice the team is already rebuilding or rebuilt if you will. There would be no reason for the Kings to tank it. They can make moves in the offseason if need be and they have a very solid core group. One or more pieces may be moved from that group but hoping to get a high draft pick isn't the solution. If you go after a lottery pick you are usually doing that b/c you have nothing to begin with. We are not the worst team in the league, talent wise, by any stretch of the imagination and we are not starting from the ground up. At full health and with experience together, I think this team is a "contender".
I high draft pick is a start. This core of guys is not and will not be a championship contender. Peja who doesnt want to be here, Bibby who gets no rest, injury plagued Bobby, Who knows whats going to happen to Mobley, and Miller... may not be the same after the injury, hasnt been the same as last season yet. The players we recieved in the trade are decent, solid players to give you everything theyve got but what they have isnt enough to contend with the best in the league, and Im sorry if some of you want to just see the Kings win games and play hard but thats not the teams goal. I want to see them play, I personally dont care about going after the championship soon, I think it will eventually happen. I am only talking about what the truth is. The Maloofs and Geoffs goal is to win a championship, after they rebuild that is, and not win games to win. This is they buisness, their job, in order for them to succeed even more they must win a championship or get to that caliber of a team again.

Sure nobody wants them to tank the season but you have to look at the real situation and not what you personally want. The players wouldnt tank the season, nor would the owners, coach or anyone in the organization. It was only a thought I brought up because it has been discussed that we need to rebuild, and getting a good draft pick is a good start.

AriesMar27 said:
this draft is weak as hell anyways..... we wouldnt get a top pick so whats the point?

lets just wait until the offseason... utah will blow chunks and we can trade thomas and corliss for boozer......
Very true... this draft is going to be bad, but it may be a sleeper draft and we may get a killer of a player at a high pick. :)

If the players had any reason to think that management made the decision to give up on the rest of the season, the loss of trust would be almost impossible to replenish.

You can't have your players out there risking injury for no reason and expect it to go unnoticed.

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
We cant contend with the lineup we have, so we should play with it for what reason?
Then we should tell the Kings players not to play their last 14 games of the season.

I know the Kings need to rebuild but that doesn't mean they should just waste away the season.

the KINGS are all pros. and hit the floor with one thing on there minds....winning.The day they go out and "tank" a game is the day they lose my respect.If you can't play to win,find something else to do..

I'm pretty disgusted that people are thinking this way.

We as kings fan's haven peen pretty spoiled these past seasons and now one mediocre season and you want to throw in the towel?Please!

Should the Kings lose on purpose? That's what you're asking. I think it's a ridiculous question.

The closest to tanking a season I could justify is trading all your vets and playing all rookies or young guys. THey know they will lose, but they're fighting for careers and contracts. At the end of the year you've got a high draft pick and a very good idea of who to keep on your squad. Basically, the Charlotte Hornets.

By the way. Anyone miss G. Wallace? I don't. I can't believe all the noise about him. He's another reason we shouldn't overpay M. Evans. Dime a dozen.

I love you though Mo. Give us a reason to overpay you. Average 12 and 7 the rest of the way

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, I'm going to merge this into the other thread because they're both active and it's getting confusing.

To tank from the 5 seed all the way into the lottery is not a realistic option. Even if you only mean playing young guys instead of veterans.

The Kings are a very good team, capable of making it to the first or second round every year for the next few years without any changes. You don't tank that type of team.

You let them gain playoff experience together and add or change pieces to get them to a championship level. If you want a high draft pick, trade for one, don't lose all your games for a 3% chance at your ping pong ball coming up.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
SIR HENRY 8 said:
the KINGS are all pros. and hit the floor with one thing on there minds....winning.The day they go out and "tank" a game is the day they lose my respect.If you can't play to win,find something else to do..
WORD!!

And seriously, does anybody think that either Adelman or Petrie would even consider this option? That seems to go against my impressions of Petrie and it definitely goes against my impressions of Adelman. Chances are tiny even if the Kings end up only a couple games out of the lottery, let alone now as the 5th seed.

HELL NO!!!. Even w/ a lottery pick, we'd still be mid 1st round. only a couple days off of a playoff team. Besides. losing teams have bad chemistry. if you lose games, you disrupt the chemistry. Guys like Mobley/Evans/Songalia have player options to make them FA and leave

VF21 said:
(First, glad to see you posting again!)
VF21, that Webber deal absolutely crushed me. It still does. Webber had his problems, but when all was said and done... he was one of my favorite players ever. It might work out in the long run, but right now the pain is still too new. I don't enjoy the games as much as I once did. This will change with time, especially when Miller and BJax come back and all the guys are clicking again, but even then, it just sucks without Webb.

Last edited:
Explanation on tanking...

I think a lot of you have a misconception on what exactly tanking is in professional sports. A lot of you seem to think that a team gets together before games and goes "We have to lose this one. Not try and just give up on the rest of the year. Ok guys, let's do it!" -- This doesn't happen. Else you'd see some teams going 0-82.

Tanking works like this... Your young players get the majority of the minutes and you play your vets a lot less. When guys have injuries, you sit them. They don't play through injuries if it can be avoided. The coach tries new things out there to see what he has in his players. He'll run plays that aren't conventional and he'll try lineups that aren't either.

The whole of this is, you end up losing because of it. Veterans know how to play the game and they're going to get you wins. Playing a lot of young guys is going to get you losses.

There was a situation like this in Cleveland a few years ago with John Lucas (the coach at the time), Carlos Boozer and Tyrone Hill. This is the year that Cleveland won the lotto and got LeBron James.

About mid way through the season Tyrone Hill had gotten hurt. In his absence Carlos Boozer was consistently posting double doubles. Hill came back from his injury and immediately was starting again. Boozer's production absolutely dropped and his minutes were severely reduced. Despite this, Lucas continued to play Tyrone Hill over Boozer. Tyrone Hill is some where around 35 years old and I believe he's out of the league now, and Boozer is a young PF that was drafted in the 2nd round. Cleveland management wanted to see what they had there and they also saw no point in playing Hill minutes.

Winning games wasn't a top priority. You're not trying to lose them, but you're not trying everything you can to win them either. Anyway, John Lucas continued to play Hill the bulk of the minutes, he was later fired and from that point on Boozer started over Hill. Hill's minutes ended up dwindling to I believe almost nothing as Cleveland made its push to play its young guys and see what they had.

The Cavs ended up with LeBron and although the Boozer situation didn't end up working out for them, they still found out what kind of player he was and he didn't sit down the entire year rotting on the bench.

Anyway, if you believe tanking is purposely going out there and trying to lose all 82 games, I'll again state, this doesn't happen. The NBA is a deep enough league, especially in the West that if you're not trying everything you can to win and don't have the talent to back you up, you're going to lose a lot of games.

From what I see with the Kings right now, I don't see the point of trying everything we can to win. Especially if it means playing guys like Mike Bibby and Cuttino Mobley 40+ minutes a night. I want these guys around for next year, and the year after that. When you play guys minutes like they have been getting -- you risk serious injuries to them and that's why most coaches don't do it.

Last edited:
please someone tell me that this thread is a joke. While I thoroughly agree that the season is over except for the first round loss to whoevvah, and that we therefore should experiment a lot, not wear Bibby out with 40 min per game as the Bee suggested, etc etc. - the prospect is we can lose all 14 remaining and still likely finish 8. (lakers would have to finish 9-7, doubtful, Minn 7-7, maybe - just to get a tie for 8 if we lost all 14). No, our bed is made, as fans we will be forced to endure a dismal rest of season and first round - then we can stick the fork in and call it done! Thank goodness, this roller coaster ride hasn't been too fun since January. Hmmmmmmmm On the other hand, who do you experiment with? a buncha players we likely won't see next year anyways - or even if they are back, not at all in significant roles? Glad I don't have Adleman's job!

What a wimpy attitude! No team ever won anything with such a pessimistic attitude. The Kings will not backslide into the lottery. With Bobby, Brad, Cutino, Brian, and Corlis sitting injured on the bench, how could anyone expect the Kings to win all of their games?

This season is NOT over. Lottery talk is very weak. :(

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
quick dog said:
No team ever won anything with such a pessimistic attitude. :(
Actually that's not true -- the Spurs won two titles (and maybe a third this year) with exactly that attitude. Very good team for years, faced some adversity, tanked the year, were rewarded for it in the draft with Duncan, and the rest as they say is history.

But that's not our situation of course.

Bricklayer said:
Actually that's not true -- the Spurs won two titles (and maybe a third this year) with exactly that attitude. Very good team for years, faced some adversity, tanked the year, were rewarded for it in the draft with Duncan, and the rest as they say is history.

But that's not our situation of course.
ya, people keep talking about how the cavs got lebron and the spurs got duncan, but that was "tanking" the whole season, not the last 14 games. the kings should instead attempt to play thru it and see how it turns out...worst case scenario, we lose enough to get to the 7 seed, end up playing the spurs w/o duncan, and hopefully somehow find some magic going into the second round... lol

Folsom Al said:
Picture this:

A stork or heron type bird wading the shallow part of a pond.

The bird is looking skyward with it's head tilted-up and is attempting to eat a frog. The bird has the frogs head in it's beak .... the frog's rear legs are swaying up in the air ... BUT, the frogs' front legs/hands have a choke-hold on the storks neck, preventing the stork from being able to swallow him.

the caption of this cartoon: NEVER GIVE UP !!!!
I had a teacher who had that cartoon stapled on her wall.