Swipa

I would give Ja is he edge on court vision.
Perhaps so. But he doesn't have Swipa's speed. Nobody does. Nor is he as good defensively.

And if this season is any indication of what's to be expected going forward, we got the more clutch player too. Who, btw, just happens to be a very well behaved kid that stays out of trouble.

I suppose you can say Swipa is "clutch" in that regard too. ;)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this point it would b a huge upset if Fox didn't win the Clutch Player of the Year award. Nobody else is even close.
The only reason would either be perception over actual stats or the league looking to give out a consolation prize to another superstar who doesn't win the MVP - primarily Doncic.

In terms of perception, it's because Fox is (1) very surgical about how he scores late - use his speed to get to his spot for the middy or go all the way to the basket for the crafty finish inside and (2) outside of the Orlando game winner, Fox isn't bombing threes from 30 feet like Dame or Steph. He's also rarely making a poster dunk late. He's just finding a way to score and win games.

He's absolutely the clutch player of the year, hands down. Whether the league actually gives the award to him or robs him for someone less worthy remains to be seen.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The only reason would either be perception over actual stats or the league looking to give out a consolation prize to another superstar who doesn't win the MVP - primarily Doncic.

In terms of perception, it's because Fox is (1) very surgical about how he scores late - use his speed to get to his spot for the middy or go all the way to the basket for the crafty finish inside and (2) outside of the Orlando game winner, Fox isn't bombing threes from 30 feet like Dame or Steph. He's also rarely making a poster dunk late. He's just finding a way to score and win games.

He's absolutely the clutch player of the year, hands down. Whether the league actually gives the award to him or robs him for someone less worthy remains to be seen.
I think if he'd been on national TV more it wouldn't even be a question. I got a little nervous about it when I saw the reactions after our game against New York. A lot of people seemed surprised at how quickly/easily De'Aaron was scoring in the fourth quarter, as if he hasn't been doing it all season long.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can literally see where fat Luka starts to hurt his team at the end of the games lol

Comes out guns blazing at the beginning of the game though.
As competitive as Luka is, I'm borderline shocked that he hasn't taken that next step to work on his body/conditioning. I guess the flip side is that he's already a 2nd tier MVP candidate without doing it (and Jokic IS an MVP with basically the same physique), but you'd think being stronger & faster with better cardio would only improve things.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The Mavs reddit where fans were turning on Luka pointed out that Luka may not actually be clutch. Team hasn't won on the final possession in ages, and Dinwiddie and Brunson were actually better in that regard. I can't be bothered to obtain stats on it but if the fans of the team are turning on a guy for of all things what most people tend to over exaggerate their star player's "takeover effects" it can't be good. But the midseason poll had him as frontrunner for the clutch award by over a 4-1 margin over Fox, which is absolutely disgusting and those writers who took the poll should be embarrassed.

As competitive as Luka is, I'm borderline shocked that he hasn't taken that next step to work on his body/conditioning. I guess the flip side is that he's already a 2nd tier MVP candidate without doing it (and Jokic IS an MVP with basically the same physique), but you'd think being stronger & faster with better cardio would only improve things.
It's surprising to me, too. He's such a basketball savant, but he somehow seems heavier than when he was drafted. I assumed that the Mavericks would link him up with conditioning support and get his body into NBA-ready shape. The Harden parallels were obvious when Luka came into the league, and the conditioning issues appear to be another direct point of comparison. Doncic will certainly win an MVP award or two before his career is over, but I hope his career doesn't have Harden's ultimate trajectory, where you just sorta feel like he's not made for winning NBA championships.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Mavs reddit where fans were turning on Luka pointed out that Luka may not actually be clutch. Team hasn't won on the final possession in ages, and Dinwiddie and Brunson were actually better in that regard. I can't be bothered to obtain stats on it but if the fans of the team are turning on a guy for of all things what most people tend to over exaggerate their star player's "takeover effects" it can't be good. But the midseason poll had him as frontrunner for the clutch award by over a 4-1 margin over Fox, which is absolutely disgusting and those writers who took the poll should be embarrassed.
"The award debuted for the 2022–23 season, and players are voted on by a media panel based on nominations from NBA head coaches."

In other words, prepare to see De'Aaron get jobbed for an award that should be his without a doubt.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
at the age of 24, his body may be a bit more forgiving but if he continues on this path as his tires get more tread and wear, then only more injuries will pile up and he won't have a playing career playing long years at his maximum capacity

I say it all the time. Nobody should be surprised at the seemingly amazing things these players do today.

When you’re allowed to take extra steps before, during and after putting the ball on the floor — they should be able to get anywhere on the floor they want.

If the NBA was ever half way serious about enforcing the basic rules of the game WRT dribbling and player movement — half the players considered to be stars wouldn’t be.

I’m not suggesting that players of yesteryear didn’t get away with a lot. They surely did. But for the most part, we didn’t see 3-4 step back jumpers or euro moves in the 90’s and earlier. The euro became popular in the late 90’s and early 2000’s with the likes of Ginobili, but even that move has seriously jumped the shark in terms of what’s allowed today.

Having said that, the “step back“ 3pt jumper most are using nowadays is just downright an embarrassment to the game of basketball. The NBA surely achieved its goal of turning the league into a glorified version of AND1.

And don’t get me started on players shifting and changing their pivot foot on post up moves. Or after receiving a pass and setting their feet.
Mira basically the steroid era with the way the games called

TBH, I think this may be the reason Vlade passed on Luka. I think Vlade had people who knew Luka and knew his penchant to eat poorly and not be in top physical shape. Vlade may have foreseen this scenario where Luka ceiling is limited by his waistline.

dude12

Hall of Famer
TBH, I think this may be the reason Vlade passed on Luka. I think Vlade had people who knew Luka and knew his penchant to eat poorly and not be in top physical shape. Vlade may have foreseen this scenario where Luka ceiling is limited by his waistline.
Luka likes cheeseburgers too much to be bothered with conditioning

Any one that takes Marvin Bagley at #2 in that strong draft class is not someone who I would associate with foresight.

Any one that takes Marvin Bagley at #2 in that strong draft class is not someone who I would associate with foresight.
I’m not defending Vlade’s talent evaluation, but the rumor back at that draft was that the reason Vlade passed on Luka was that he had inside intel that Luka liked fast food, cheeseburger and pizza, etc a little too much and NBA conditioning would be an issue for him, which it has been.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I thought the reason Vlade was rumored to pass on Luka had something to do with his dad, and attitude/work ethic problems combined with the fact the dad was Luka's manager.

I wanted Luka but I'm not immune to the idea that Vlade had good inside info on Luka that lead him to pass. Luka has pretty much gotten everyone fired or traded in Dallas. It's hard to imagine what he'd have done to a grossly mismanaged org like the Kings were at the time. The sin was not taking advantage the way the Hawks did and getting something if they were passing. And of course Vlade proved time and again he was horrible at talent evaluation. We could have five all NBA talents if Vlade hit on his picks.

In either event Kings are closing in on clinching 3rd in the West as early as tomorrow, Dallas's best finish in the past 5 years is 4.
The Kings will have finished with better records than Dallas in 2 of those 5 seasons. There's no reason to think we won't be better than them next year either at this point. So as painful as it was, I'll take us today over the heartbreak of our all-world first ballot hall of famer forcing his way out of town by the end of his second contracts as seems inevitable in Dallas at this point.

This thread is about Fox who continues to be a stand up dude. If there was ever any "choice" of committing to one player, I'm glad it was Fox.

I thought the reason Vlade was rumored to pass on Luka had something to do with his dad, and attitude/work ethic problems combined with the fact the dad was Luka's manager.

I wanted Luka but I'm not immune to the idea that Vlade had good inside info on Luka that lead him to pass. Luka has pretty much gotten everyone fired or traded in Dallas. It's hard to imagine what he'd have done to a grossly mismanaged org like the Kings were at the time. The sin was not taking advantage the way the Hawks did and getting something if they were passing. And of course Vlade proved time and again he was horrible at talent evaluation. We could have five all NBA talents if Vlade hit on his picks.

In either event Kings are closing in on clinching 3rd in the West as early as tomorrow, Dallas's best finish in the past 5 years is 4.
The Kings will have finished with better records than Dallas in 2 of those 5 seasons. There's no reason to think we won't be better than them next year either at this point. So as painful as it was, I'll take us today over the heartbreak of our all-world first ballot hall of famer forcing his way out of town by the end of his second contracts as seems inevitable in Dallas at this point.

This thread is about Fox who continues to be a stand up dude. If there was ever any "choice" of committing to one player, I'm glad it was Fox.
you say grossly managed if he came here no we were managed better than Dallas they just lucked into Luka. They wasted Dirks prime years and are doing it with Luka that front office is all time bad someone explain to me why Dwight powell is starting in the last 3 years when he should be in the G-League dude made Cody seller look like prime shaq. Why did they low ball Braunson who was very good with Luka which angered him and forced him to NY. Then what do those fools do six months later ? Trade their depth, defense, and sixth man for Kyrie who ruins cultures when they could’ve just resigned Brunson and kept their depth and defense. Bogi, Fox, and Luka would’ve been a great start to a rebuild and we still probably end up here if we trade Fox for Sabonis I love fox and this team but let’s not go overboard and think that’s better than having a guy whose been a top 5 player for the next decade.
Seriously why is powell still starting