Swipa

Ja Morant is looking like more and more of an idiot and wanna be gangster every day. Nike decided to push him as their feature athlete to spearhead their new generation of signature shoes. It's unconfirmed, but Shannon Sharpe said that his contract with Nike is $200million. With all the controversy around him, I wonder if they're starting to regret it?

Coming back to the relevant star at hand here, De'Aaron 100% should've been a marquee player for Nike. Everyone knows I wasn't the biggest original fan of him, but his speed, quickness, dribbles, and scoring made him instantly one of the most dynamic players to enter the NBA. He came from Kentucky which is the most recognizable Nike school in college. His contract with Nike was only 5 yrs $10million. The only thing he ever got was a color way.

Fast forward to today, Fox is a sneaker free-agent this year. He didn't sign with anyone when his contract expired. We've seen him wear Nike, Under Armor, Converse (under Nike), and a little bit of New Balance. For the AS game, he wore Under Armor shoes. After his incredible season this year, he'll no-longer be a sneaker free-agent. He has literally everything marketers would want. Small market Kings aside (didn't matter with Kyrie or Ja), he's one of the fastest players, extremely dynamic, great scorer, great handles, and very clutch. Off the court, he comes off as an extremely intelligent person with a very high character... complete opposite to Ja. He's also very funny, personable, and extremely likable. I think it's only a matter of time before he gets his big shoe deal assuming things continue to go the way it has.

I wonder with all the Ja stuff happens, if Nike decides to make a big push at him? If I were Fox, I wouldn't go back to them. He should've been their guy as soon as he stepped foot on an NBA court. They let 5 years of his career go down the drain.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Is the nba ready for a video game and anime loving guy who likes a chill relaxing life of small town sac superstar? I don’t think so
De’Aaron Fox: ex-pro basketball player/coach wife in front row with baby every night. Idea of an exciting night appears to be playing CoD with Josh Hart.
Ja Morant: Dad in the front row every night (good). Dad appears to be of the Dadley variety (bad) and tried to fight Shannon Sharpe during a game for some reason (extra bad). Idea of an exciting night appears to either involve flashing a piece or assaulting teenagers. (Flashing red lights)

I think I know who I’d prefer if I were a marketer in the NBA head office.

If given the choice between ja and fox i take fox. Ja might be a better player, but i dont have to worry about fox away from the team and i still get fox on the court

I know this is a Swipa thread and I promise this is related. But I was thinking... Jokic is great and all - but do you think that Sabonis is actually a better paring for our beloved #5? Would you rather have Fox + Jokic or Domas + Fox? With the chemistry Domas is able to have with both him and several of the other guys, to my completely trustworthy and always accurate eye... it sure seems like our Master Chef Monty McNair has cooked up the perfect dish - now just letting it simmer. Maybe add a garnish of one final #3 guy next offseason (or maybe Keegan grows into that borderline all-star type, he's improving daily before our eyes it seems) and there you have it.

I look at this current roster as it's constructed and I just see so much improvement this current squad can do and is doing - as a unit and as individuals. Beautiful basketball is beautiful.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I know this is a Swipa thread and I promise this is related. But I was thinking... Jokic is great and all - but do you think that Sabonis is actually a better paring for our beloved #5? Would you rather have Fox + Jokic or Domas + Fox? With the chemistry Domas is able to have with both him and several of the other guys, to my completely trustworthy and always accurate eye... it sure seems like our Master Chef Monty McNair has cooked up the perfect dish - now just letting it simmer. Maybe add a garnish of one final #3 guy next offseason (or maybe Keegan grows into that borderline all-star type, he's improving daily before our eyes it seems) and there you have it.

I look at this current roster as it's constructed and I just see so much improvement this current squad can do and is doing - as a unit and as individuals. Beautiful basketball is beautiful.
I mean it's silly we have Fox and Domas and they are great. Jokic might be the better singular talent but Domas is a little more ... fit? For the pace we want to run, I think that helps. Would be nice if he got the soon to be 3x MVP whistle but yeah, don't mess with success.

IMO, you were right then and you're right now. What he's become is very, very different than what he was.
Um, no, he wasn’t right. At all.

Luckily, unlike you guys, the KINGS knew their star still had room to grow and develop. And he has. And will continue to do so.

All the ingredients were there the entire time.

If given the choice between ja and fox i take fox. Ja might be a better player, but i dont have to worry about fox away from the team and i still get fox on the court
He’s never been a better player, just the flashier one. And one that runs his mouth a lot more.

Fox has typically outplayed him head to head and is showing he is the superior defensive player.

Ja’s been a better deep shooter, but that‘s about it. Swipa can do everything else Ja can do in terms of using his speed and athleticism to create easy shots and be clutch at the end of games.

But Swipa’s game is better suited for the long term, as Ja is more likely to break down due to the physical hits he takes. Once he loses some of that spring in his step, things aren’t likely to go near as well.

He’s never been a better player, just the flashier one. And one that runs his mouth a lot more.

Fox has typically outplayed him head to head and is showing he is the superior defensive player.

Ja’s been a better deep shooter, but that‘s about it. Swipa can do everything else Ja can do in terms of using his speed and athleticism to create easy shots and be clutch at the end of games.

But Swipa’s game is better suited for the long term, as Ja is more likely to break down due to the physical hits he takes. Once he loses some of that spring in his step, things aren’t likely to go near as well.
Ja shot better from 3pt range last season, but both shoot about the same from there. For their careers, Fox is shooting 32.1% and Ja is shooting 32.4%.

Ja shot better from 3pt range last season, but both shoot about the same from there. For their careers, Fox is shooting 32.1% and Ja is shooting 32.4%.
Thanks for the fact check. Admittedly, I was going off memory and remembering some of Ja’s big games when he was drilling numerous deep shots.

Swipa hasn’t really had a game that I can remember where he was unconscious from 3.

If Ja doesn’t have the edge with his deep shooting, then I can’t think of anything he’s decidedly better at. Swipa is better defensively and as clutch as they come.

Thanks for the fact check. Admittedly, I was going off memory and remembering some of Ja’s big games when he was drilling numerous deep shots.

Swipa hasn’t really had a game that I can remember where he was unconscious from 3.

If Ja doesn’t have the edge with his deep shooting, then I can’t think of anything he’s decidedly better at. Swipa is better defensively and as clutch as they come.
I would give Ja is he edge on court vision.

74D696E8-CB6F-4095-B46D-1EE3E7781FDD.jpeg
They don’t seem to miss any of the LAL or Warriors games. Or Dame scoring 71.

We have an all-time game against the Clips a week ago that ends up the 2nd highest scoring game in league history and on the following Monday the only thing that was discussed on ALL the sports media tv shows was Dame’s 71 point outing and, you guessed it, the freaking 12th place LAL.

Seriously, if the East Coast sports media can’t be bothered to adjust their hours to DO their job — they should’t have their job.
Oh but didn’t you hear? The Clippers (despite being the most stacked team in the league) we’re extremely short-handed… better give that Kings W an asterisk.

EDIT: And the last layup was contested....could've gone either way. :D

I say it all the time. Nobody should be surprised at the seemingly amazing things these players do today.

When you’re allowed to take extra steps before, during and after putting the ball on the floor — they should be able to get anywhere on the floor they want.

If the NBA was ever half way serious about enforcing the basic rules of the game WRT dribbling and player movement — half the players considered to be stars wouldn’t be.

I’m not suggesting that players of yesteryear didn’t get away with a lot. They surely did. But for the most part, we didn’t see 3-4 step back jumpers or euro moves in the 90’s and earlier. The euro became popular in the late 90’s and early 2000’s with the likes of Ginobili, but even that move has seriously jumped the shark in terms of what’s allowed today.

Having said that, the “step back“ 3pt jumper most are using nowadays is just downright an embarrassment to the game of basketball. The NBA surely achieved its goal of turning the league into a glorified version of AND1.

And don’t get me started on players shifting and changing their pivot foot on post up moves. Or after receiving a pass and setting their feet.

Last edited: