SUSPENSIONS ANNOUNCED!

According to foxsports radio: http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3179442

An official announcement on the exact length of the four players' bans could come as early as Sunday.

However, Ben Maller and Chris Landry of Fox Sports Radio have learned from Pistons play-by-play man Fred McLeod that the NBA plans to suspend Ron Artest for 30 games.

Additionally, Jermaine O'Neal and Stephen Jackson will both get 20-game suspensions. Ben Wallace, on the other hand, will miss just five games.

I'm sure there will be appeals. This is unprecedented so I would not be surprised if the suspensions were modified in the near future.

Heuge said:
I like all but Artest's suspensions. His should be much higher.
Actually, I think that Stephan Jackson was the one who caused the maximum damage. He should be the one who is to get the maximum penalty.

They should also be slapped will some monetary penalties other than being not paid for the games they miss as well.

piksi said:
Looks like we get 2 easy ones against pacers :eek:
Looks like it.

So does this mean until Pacers get their players back, they'll have 6-8 players playing nightly on court?
This is really going to hurt the team.

bibbyweb said:
Actually, I think that Stephan Jackson was the one who caused the maximum damage. He should be the one who is to get the maximum penalty.

They should also be slapped will some monetary penalties other than being not paid for the games they miss as well.
Ron Artest has a history, and he was first to go into the stands.

The monetary penalties will be unprecedented after the lawsuits are settled.

fair enough. it could have been a LOT worse.

oh boy i can hear it now, pacers fans whinning about " how the league is picking on them" blah blah blah. well pacers fans, it was your 3 players who punched fans. NO ONE on the pistons TOUCHED a fan.

i thought artest might be gone the whole year. i heard one rumor saying the 3 pacers would be suspended all year and the playoffs ( which is a bit too far fetched...)

now the question is will all 3 have to serve at the same time???? this probably won't hurt them much, they will still make the playoffs due to being in the east, they just probably won't get the seeding and HCA they could have. they would have been dead meat in the west.

edit: and i'd also like to see the next pistons/pacers game at the palace be played without fans.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sure action will be taken against some of the fans. I feel sorry for the Pacer fans through all this. They love their team as we love our Kings. They've had to put up with Artest's antics before - and it's not any fun. It wasn't the Pacer fans who caused any of this to happen to their team.

The next Pacers/Pistons game is going to be unbelievably tense. I predict there will be more law enforcment individuals there than fans.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Identifying the fans will be harder than most people think. If the guys in the stads were season ticket holders, no problem, but Auburn Hills CSI will not be running DNA tests on cups and bottles. Some fans were aprehended and obviously there will be no porblem with chariging some of them, but lets be realistic only a few will face charges and 10 times more will file law suites against the individual players and the Auburn Plalce security.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Celt - I have to disagree. They have lots of video footage and I'm sure there will be people willing to identify the idiots who caused the problems.

As far as the law suits go, those same video tapes will undoubtedly play a crucial role. People might want to make sure their actions are above reproach before they talk to a lawyer.

This whole incident is going to have long-lasting ramifications for players, teams, arenas and fans. I'm still just very thankful no innocent bystanders were seriously injured, although you can't really assess the emotional and mental distress of some of the young fans...

Just a big black eye on sports and the NBA all the way around, IMHO...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Gargamel said:
You gotta think with the national coverage that there's at least someone out there who knows the cretin in the white hat and hates him. If that were someone I didn't like, I'd sure as hell inform Detroit police and the Pacers and Pistons' orgs of his identity.
Probaly so and that is one, the big guy that was poping jackson from behind may be a different story, as for some of the rest, time will tell. Guys they have clearly on tape will be sought after, call in leads will be persued, and yes any fan they can build a good case against will be charged. But how many of the obviously hundereds of participants in the riot will actuly be charged and convicted? It would help if they all wore jerseys to the gaem with individual numbersand names on it, and that is my point. When 10 men are on the court palying an orgaized game we have trouble keeping track of them, get a nice crowd with semi-anymous clothing and planty of hats to sade faces and thevalue of the tape deminishes. Most riots get coverage and usuely ONLY those arrested during the riot are charged spesificly beceause of the difficulty in identifying people based on tape.

suspensions in

artest-out for rest of season (72 games)
jackson- 30 games
oneal- 25 games
wallace- 6 games
anthony johnson- 5 games
and others with single game suspension
news conference at 6:30 et

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gargamel said:
You gotta think with the national coverage that there's at least someone out there who knows the cretin in the white hat and hates him. If that were someone I didn't like, I'd sure as hell inform Detroit police and the Pacers and Pistons' orgs of his identity.
...and Chad Ford, and Mark Stein, and 60 Minutes, and the Enquirer, and Geraldo Rivera, and Joan Rivers, and...

;)

I think you're entirely right. Those people are gonna be so outed...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
rnmeuy said:
suspensions in

artest-out for rest of season (72 games)
jackson- 30 games
oneal- 25 games
wallace- 6 games
anthony johnson- 5 games
and others with single game suspension
news conference at 6:30 et
Do you have a link for that? Fox News and others earlier have all reported different numbers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ESPN is saying they may stagger the suspensions for the Pacers.

I suppose the best thing everyone can do is turn to ESPNews for the press conference David Stern is going to hold at 3:30 p.m. PST...

What exactly did anthony johnson do? I don't remember a specific incidient, but there was so much going on, hard to tell who was doing what.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They also said that 4 players received single game suspensions for leaving the bench but didn't identify who they were...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
rnmeuy said:
What exactly did anthony johnson do? I don't remember a specific incidient, but there was so much going on, hard to tell who was doing what.
I was wondering the same thing...

I'm going to TAPE the press conference. I'm pretty sure they'll address all the particulars.

first article

NBA suspends Artest for rest of season; eight players get shorter bans
[font=geneva,arial]-
[/font][font=geneva,arial][size=-2]Sunday, November 21, 2004
[/size][/font]

(11-21) 14:59 PST NEW YORK (AP) --

Ron Artest was suspended for the rest of the season Sunday as the NBA came down hard on three members of the Indiana Pacers for fighting with fans when a melee broke out at the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons.

Overall, nine players from the teams were banned for 143 games, including some of the harshest penalties the league ever issued. Artest is the first player to be suspended for nearly an entire season for a fight during a game.

Indiana's Stephen Jackson was suspended for 30 games and Jermaine O'Neal for 25. Detroit's Ben Wallace -- whose shove of Artest after a foul led to the 5-minute fracas -- drew a six-game ban, while Pacers guard Anthony Johnson got five games.

Four players were suspended for a game apiece: Indiana's Reggie Miller, and Detroit's Chauncey Billups, Elden Campbell and Derrick Coleman.

All of the suspensions are without pay.

Artest, O'Neal and Jackson -- who all threw punches at fans in the stands or on the court at the end of the nationally televised Pacers-Pistons game Friday night -- began serving their suspensions Saturday. Indiana, limited to just six players because of the suspensions and injuries, dropped an 86-83 decision to Orlando.
URL: http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/11/21/sports1757EST0538.DTL