Stop blaming the refs...

Completely dismissing the huge disadvantage the Kings have with officiating isn't any better. If we didn't have Fox and Sabonis and even Monk consistently getting mugged in the paint, then i think this thread would be a lot more warranted. It's not the only reason the Kings are losing some of these games but teams consistently getting 15-20 more freethrows is about insurmountable as it gets.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
A week and a half ago Adam Silver was in attendance and we saw a Kings game officiated like never before.

Two and four games later we saw the Kings on the wrong side of 20+ FT disparities. As little as I care for the over-reliance on 3-pt shooting, especially when settling for lazy threes, it's hard to reconcile why our players should drive and get mugged while consistently receiving no whistle since doing so puts their health, ability to play defense, and career longevity on the line. Then in one of those two 20+ discrepancy games an opposing player flops onto our third best scorer and the centerpiece of our bench (and likely league 6moy) injuring him for the season.

It's whack. And it's beyond time something gets done about it, but it surely seems the louder the organization squawks about it, the more we are buried by officiating. It's like when the bad Kings pouted at the refs on the court, I at least understood why that wasn't rewarded. But now we see other teams rewarded for that behavior, while our guys generally are respectful, and still... It's getting old.

And yeah, it's probably cost us 2-3 games this year which could be the difference between the playoffs and being stuck with pick 14 in a mediocre draft.

We're 20th in FTAs / per game, but also 25th in attempts inside 5 feet, and 30th in FT %.

We are getting screwed by the refs, particularly Fox and Domas. Makes no sense to claim that doesn't impact the W/L column. And FTAs are part of the modern NBA, so "depending on foul calls" isn't a bad strategy bc its part of the game

But as stats show we're also not being aggressive enough towards the basket (too many Fox middies) and we're missing our free throws anyways

We're 20th in FTAs / per game, but also 25th in attempts inside 5 feet, and 30th in FT %.

We are getting screwed by the refs, particularly Fox and Domas. Makes no sense to claim that doesn't impact the W/L column. And FTAs are part of the modern NBA, so "depending on foul calls" isn't a bad strategy bc its part of the game

But as stats show we're also not being aggressive enough towards the basket (too many Fox middies) and we're missing our free throws anyways
Not being aggressive enough or give up driving to the hole when you get mugged and there is no whistle.......over.........and over......etc.

sabonis and Fox getting to the line more would just put a spotlight on how horrible they are at the line.
Hard to improve when you barely get there. Would be nice to see how they do with the opportunity to get into some sort of Rhythm, but yes - they do need to improve at the line and for the most part they have.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
sabonis and Fox getting to the line more would just put a spotlight on how horrible they are at the line.
Last I checked, De'Aaron Fox had the same career FT% as Lebron James. He's been sub-par at converting his free throws for a guard, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't get the same opportunity to cash in those free points as everyone else. And even with sub-par shooting, Lebron has managed to "horrible" his way to 4th all-time in Free Throws made (soon to be 3rd). I'll take that kind of horrible.