Stojakovic is a question mark

Stojakovic is a question mark

A strained groin puts his status in doubt

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, April 16, 2005

LOS ANGELES - The NBA playoffs are just around the corner for the Kings, and so is the specter of injury.

This time, it haunted Peja Stojakovic. A strained left groin forced him out during the first quarter of a 115-106 Kings victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday night at Staples Center.

High on the list of Kings coach Rick Adelman's worst fears entering these final four regular-season games was losing one of his players to injury.

With 4:36 left in the first quarter, Stojakovic made a three-pointer and came down with a strained left groin. On the Kings' next possession, Stojakovic was removed from the game and helped to the locker room.

Stojakovic said he felt a tug while he was running a few possessions before he came out of the game.

"It felt funny," he said of his left leg, "so I was stretching it. Then when I was running just before I really hurt it, I kind of felt it cramping up. Then after the shot, I couldn't run at all."

Stojakovic had made five of his first six field-goal attempts, including all four of his three-pointers. He scored 14 points in less than eight minutes.

Groin injuries are among the most troublesome to heal, so it's unlikely Stojakovic will play in the three remaining regular-season contests.

"He definitely will not play," Adelman said of tonight's game in Phoenix against the Suns. "We're going to definitely be cautious with him."

Stojakovic's availability for the start of next weekend's playoffs is questionable until he can prove he can withstand the rigors of running, jumping, pushing and being pushed by NBA players - even in practice.

If Adelman has one position of depth, it is small forward. Corliss Wiilamson, Maurice Evans, Kenny Thomas and rookie Erik Daniels, if he is on the playoff roster, each can play the position, although none with Stojakovic's sharp-shooting ability.

Evans finished the game with 16 points, including makes on all three three-point attempts.

The game's star quality already had taken a major hit when Lakers guard Kobe Bryant did not play because of his wife Vanessa's ectopic pregnancy. A Lakers press release said that Bryant had spent the past two days with her while she underwent a series of tests.

Bryant's absence, combined with a shoulder injury to forward Lamar Odom, robbed the Lakers of their most versatile and talented players. However, it did not remove the team's pride, and it was clear the players had been reminded by coach Frank Hamblen and his staff that Sacramento held a 62-32 rebounding advantage during a 124-105 victory Sunday at Arco Arena.

Hamblen started 6-foot-8 Luke Walton in Bryant's shooting guard spot, and the second-year swingman responded with career-highs in rebounds (12) and assists (nine), as well as adding 10 points.

Small forward Caron Butler scored a season-high 34 points to lead six Lakers in double figures.

The Kings led by as many as 19 points in the third quarter, but the Lakers twice climbed within five points late in the fourth quarter. Corliss Williamson, Mike Bibby and Cuttino Mobley each scored baskets to hold off the Lakers.

The Kings' fourth consecutive victory allowed them to maintain a tenuous hold on fifth place in the Western Conference. The Kings increased their advantage to a full game on both idle Houston and Denver, which defeated the Memphis Grizzlies on Friday night. Denver plays at Houston tonight.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/12735295p-13587090c.html

piksi

Hall of Famer
iheartBrad said:
Sometimes I wish I can just call up the training staff or the injured player and say "seriously, whats the deal?"
lately, I have some serious doubts about the capabilities of our training stuff

So the conversation might go something like this.

caller: Hallo, I was wondering about the injury of player XY

training stuff: err, what player ? Injured ? Nobody told us anything about it.

So, do you all feel that the main cause of all the injuries is really a poor training staff? Or are these truly just "freak accidents"? I know that if I had a multi-million dollar investment in an athlete, I would spend whatever it took to put together the best training staff that money would buy.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If one honestly contends that problem is the training and conditioning staff then one has to accept/assume the following:
1. The Coaching staff is either clueless and don't know the difference between competent and incompetent trainers OR they don't care. In any event you assumet that RA and Yoda do NOT demand the BEST training staff they can find.
2. The Players are either NOT complaining about their trainers (remember many of these guys have been part of top teams from all arround the country) OR the players complaints are going ignored.
3. The Maloofs and other owners are either negleting their multi million dollar investment in players by pinching pennies when it comes to trainers OR they are stupid enough to get ripped off paying top dollar for monkees with band-aids and towls.

BibbyForPrez said:
So, do you all feel that the main cause of all the injuries is really a poor training staff? Or are these truly just "freak accidents"? I know that if I had a multi-million dollar investment in an athlete, I would spend whatever it took to put together the best training staff that money would buy.
Before I may have looked into other reasons for the constant injuries and listened to people explain why they think this keeps happening (ya know the rational and logical reasons) BUT NOW I'm telling you ITS THE CURSE! I'm a believer now

HndsmCelt said:
3. The Maloofs and other owners are either negleting their multi million dollar investment in players by pinching pennies when it comes to trainers OR they are stupid enough to get ripped off paying top dollar for monkees with band-aids and towls.
lol...too funny

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Face it, fellow Kings fans. It is our lot in life to have these constant barriers put into our paths. Life is not ever going to be easy for us. We are the cosmic confluence of bad luck and freak happenings. Much like the Mystery Spot in Santa Cruz, where water flows upstream and you climb stairs to go downhill, events occur in Sacramento (or to our Kings) that are simply unable to be explained.

Accept it...and cheer louder.

;)

Sacramento Kings: Leading the league in key injuries since 2001

I really want to see some reverse the curse signs at the next Kings home game...thats one way of accepting it and cheering louder...

The Kings have a really good trainer that is there helping the players stretch before every game. However, these players are paid professional athletes who know how to get themselves prepared for a game. So ultimately it is their responsibility to be loose and ready to play. However, you can do everything you are supposed to do and still sustain an injury.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Removing the curse

(I posted this once already and few people took me seriously. So, I'm posting it again)

After considerable time and effort, I was able to locate the following purificiation rituals for those who have been crossed or cursed. I think everyone who has ever stepped into Arco Arena will have to do it in order for it to truly be effective:

SPIRITUAL BATHS: A TRADITIONAL REMEDY FOR UNCROSSING, JINX-BREAKING, AND PURIFICATION

To take off a jinx or remove crossed conditions, many people make use of a spiritual bath combined with a simple candle-spell. To perform this work, you will need a spiritual bath preparation made with purifying herbs or an Uncrossing type bath preparation. The hyssop and rue herb baths are things you can make up yourself from hyssop or rue leaves or you can buy ready-made Uncrossing Bath Crystals with hyssop and rue, or -- for a really strong job -- you can use the 13 Herb Spiritual Bath, which contains hyssop, rue, and 11 other Uncrossing herbs. Many folks use 13 packets of 13 Herb Spiritual Bath and take a bath every morning for a total of 13 days to clear away a really bad jinx.

You also need 2 white offertory candles and some Uncrossing Oil to dress them. Burning a packet of Uncrossing Incense while you work is said to increase the efficacy of the job as well.

If you believe that enemies have crossed, jinxed, or hexed you, look up the 37th Psalm. This is the one that begins "Fret not thyself with evil-doers..." If you believe that your bad condition today results even in part from your own bad activities in the past, look up the 51st Psalm as well, where hyssop herb is recommended for purification from sin. If you are not a Christian or a Jew, you can still use these herbs; they are traditional for jinx-breaking, Uncrossing and the removal of sin in any case, and instead of a Psalm, just write down your request in your own words that the jinx be lifted and the one who put it on you be struck down.

To prepare the spiritual bath, you arise before dawn, and either brew up the herbs into a tea and strain the liquid or dissolve the Uncrossing mineral crystals in warm water. Then you recite the 37th Psalm for jinx-breaking or the 51st Psalm for purification (or any Uncrossing spell of your choice) as you pour the bath water over your head. If you are taking the 13 Herb Bath, you pour the water and recite your Psalm 13 times for each morning's bath, 13 days in a row. When you have finished the spiritual bath, step out of the tub and light the 2 white candles that have been dressed with Uncrossing Oil. Light the Uncrossingincense next. Stand between the candles. Do not dry yourself with a towel -- let the bath water dry on you in the air as the candles burn and smoke yourself in the incense. Recite your Psalm one more time. If you intend to work this spell for the full 13 days, pinch out the candles (don't blow them out) after a few minutes so you can relight them the next day. If you will be doing the spell only for one day, walk away after you recite your Psalm and just let the candles burn until they go out, no matter how long that takes.

BAHAHHAHAHAHA...well I'm cool cuz I've never been to California let alone Sacramento let alone ARCO arena...but I better hear that everyone else is doing this curse reversal that has been there...Kingsgurl is probably gonna have to double everything it tells you to do since she's a season ticket holder

iheartBrad said:
Sacramento Kings: Leading the league in key injuries since 2001

I really want to see some reverse the curse signs at the next Kings home game...thats one way of accepting it and cheering louder...
We've been suffering long before then...We had a heck of chance to maybe hurt Sea back in '96; Rock sprained an ankle and the beat goes on. Someone said it, one of those ESPN guys, " You know its playoff time, the Sacramento Kings are injured."

Last edited: