Still defending Vlade? (split from game thread)

Is it time to fire Vlade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't believe how quickly people have soured on Bagley. I'm not saying he hasn't lost any luster... he has, but people on here have mentioned that he's good for tanking...lol. He's still super young with plenty of potential. So yea, he hasn't looked great but as long as he stays healthy he's still got plenty of career ahead of him. I'm not throwing in the towel yet. It's only year 2. All of this losing just amplifies negative feelings towards him.

I can't believe how quickly people have soured on Bagley. I'm not saying he hasn't lost any luster... he has, but people on here have mentioned that he's good for tanking...lol. He's still super young with plenty of potential. So yea, he hasn't looked great but as long as he stays healthy he's still got plenty of career ahead of him. I'm not throwing in the towel yet. It's only year 2.
Well he is good for tanking, this season has shown it.

MOD NOTE: A post from Reddit has been deleted. It contained a sizeable portion of an article from The Athletic written by Sam Amick pertaining to Luka and the possible disconnect between Joerger and Vlade. Posting more than a sentence or two of an article from a paid subscription site is a violation of our rules AND copyright law.
Technically I posted the URL to the thread. The sites code automatically inserts the content of Reddit.

Taking Bagley over Luka is like a one hit flash KO in the “Who’s the worse GM” tournament. Lol
LOL it hurts, but i think we'll be fine with our decision one day. He and Fox being perennial all stars one day can change a lot
of opinions.

Firing Vlade means taking a chance that Vivek will starting making basketball decisions from now on, and i dont think
anyone here is ready for that

Grant Napear said he thinks Bagley can be “special”. I sure hope that he’s right.
lol is special just a word that’s thrown out now a days someone ask grant to name a special player in the league that Bagley projects to be. A big to be special has to be a great defender to go with his 20/10

LOL it hurts, but i think we'll be fine with our decision one day. He and Fox being perennial all stars one day can change a lot
of opinions.

Firing Vlade means taking a chance that Vivek will starting making basketball decisions from now on, and i dont think
anyone here is ready for that
I don't think Vivek can afford to do that. He has to get a competent, steady hand in the front office in order to appease the fanbase (and I assume his fellow owners).

I can't believe how quickly people have soured on Bagley. I'm not saying he hasn't lost any luster... he has, but people on here have mentioned that he's good for tanking...lol. He's still super young with plenty of potential. So yea, he hasn't looked great but as long as he stays healthy he's still got plenty of career ahead of him. I'm not throwing in the towel yet. It's only year 2. All of this losing just amplifies negative feelings towards him.
Not looking at the losing at all. Looking at a defensive net rating of 114.5 and a true shooting percentage of 50.8 which is horrendous for a big. Add to that a lack of boxing out and poor screens and Bagley is the tank commander.

BTW for all the love that Fox gets he should be glad Bagley is on the team otherwise Fox would have the team worst defensive rating of 113.3

Taking Bagley over Luka is like a one hit flash KO in the “Who’s the worse GM” tournament. Lol
Vlade has a string of those. He could well win the darn thing. Philly Trade, drafting PappaG

I think @VF21 needs to start a who is the worst GM poll. It might be a hard call. Pete was consistently very bad but Vlade has some real doosies.

Last edited:
Not looking at the losing at all. Looking at a defensive net rating of 114.5 and a true shooting percentage of 50.8 which is horrendous for a big. Add to that a lack of boxing out and poor screens and Bagley is the tank commander.

BTW for all the love that Fox gets he should be glad Bagley is on the team otherwise Fox would have the team worst defensive rating of 113.3
Well that’s why it’s funny when people says that we having a bad year cuz both of our “stars” r injured. If I’m not mistaken we r 1-7 record with both of them on the floor, imagine if both of them had been healthy all season....

Does he ever elaborate why? All I heard when I listened to him the other day was he will be a franchise cornerstone and you’re a moron if you don’t agree.

Clearly hyperathletic and skilled with one hand... but other than that???
I’ve never heard him explain his reasoning for touting Bagley’s potential, but I get the impression that he thinks it should be obvious to everyone. I think that most would concede that Marvin has outstanding athletic ability, but he is definitely far from having a complete game. Comparisons with Luka are inevitable, but I think that’s entirely unfair to put on Marvin - Vlade is the one who is accountable in that conversation.

I’ve never heard him explain his reasoning for touting Bagley’s potential, but I get the impression that he thinks it should be obvious to everyone. I think that most would concede that Marvin has outstanding athletic ability, but he is definitely far from having a complete game. Comparisons with Luka are inevitable, but I think that’s entirely unfair to put on Marvin - Vlade is the one who is accountable in that conversation.
Forget the Luka nonsense, what does Bagley do or showed he could do for someone to say he’ll be an all star let alone a special player. Cool he runs fast and jumps high but he still can’t create for himself let alone others

Bagley the “tank commander”. Lol

Does he ever elaborate why? All I heard when I listened to him the other day was he will be a franchise cornerstone and you’re a moron if you don’t agree.

Clearly hyperathletic and skilled with one hand... but other than that???
Hey, special can mean a lot of things.

He's one of the worst defenders I've ever seen, while being one of the worst shooters I've ever seen and is one of the biggest black holes I've ever seen. That's pretty special.

He doesn't look like some raw kid trying to put things together (Fox, Giannis, Ingram). His skillset looks intrinsically broken to me and that's why I don't have any faith in him developing.

For him to be valuable in this league in my mind he has to improve those three attributes to even below average and I'll be happy. But even then, he has to improve his threes by 10+ percentage points, has to improve his defensive awareness from that of a high-school freshman, and that last one seems not just rooted in his ability or lack there of but also his attitude.

Forget the Luka nonsense, what does Bagley do or showed he could do for someone to say he’ll be an all star let alone a special player. Cool he runs fast and jumps high but he still can’t create for himself let alone others
Bagley has “superstar” written all over him! Are you BLIND?! Lol

I was skeptical of Bagley going into his rookie year, but his ability to get to the line made me hopeful. An improved outside shot or playmaking, would be enough to get him into all star offensive production. Then you just hope he puts in the work and improve his screening/boxing out/defense to become special.

Now that his FT rate has halved, with zero improvement elsewhere, the clock starts ticking on what he can become. He's still early in his career, but every game he's hurt or without improvement, the odds of reaching that ceiling drop.

Yeah but he had one good defensive game against Morant which means Fox is the best young PG in the NBA who cares about wins/losses that's never mattered to Kings fans it's been per 36 numbers and comparisons to all time greats for the past 10 seasons.

I just do not think "special" when I see Bagley whether it was during his one year at Duke or what he has shown thus far in the NBA. Could he be an all-star one day? Sure, but when I think special I envision a player who is a candidate for the MVP, All NBA team or leading his team to a title. I think Bagley is much more likely to have a Rudy Gay type of career than ever being considered a special talent.

For me, one of the consequences of the hard-line negativity that can exist on this forum is that I am less willing to share a balanced view myself. If I have a mix of positive and negative thoughts about a player, coach, or manager, I am more likely to share the positive ones because I feel the more negative voices are so absolute in their thinking, why should I offer them anything? I reject the notion that the most negative voices are the more discerning ones. Critical thought can (should) produce both positive and negative appraisal. I reject the idea that if a player was not my first choice at a draft or during free agency, I should not support them, or I should just stick my heels in and indulge in a very intentional form of pessimism.

Anyways - on some of Vlade’s decisions:

If the 2018 draft was redone today, in a vacuum, Luka would be the number one pick. If you redo it in five years, we don’t know if he will be number one, but on current evidence it seems likely. Having said that, the draft isn’t performed in a vacuum. The team has Fox who is getting better and better and would not have been a good fit next to Luka. MBIII, at his best, is an all-star and a good fit next to Fox. He has close to elite rebounding and finishing ability, which are skills no one else on this team has. He put up good numbers off the bench last year, showed improvement in several areas as the season progressed, and deservedly made the all-rookie team. He has had some injuries this season, but they are not the type that typically re-occur (e.g. spine) or require long periods on the bench and repeat surgeries (e.g. ACL repair), and I do not need to ‘squint’ in order to see he has ability. You could argue that JJJ may have been the second-best pick and a good fit for our system, although it hasn’t always looked that way this season and that is not a simple argument. Ayton wasn’t available when we picked but has not shown to be more capable defensively than MBIII and has been suspended half the season. Trae Young plays the same position as Fox so would not have been a good addition.

Vlade has made several other moves that I believe are positive. For example, he drafted Fox, who, for me, is a stud. He flipped JJ (at best a bench player) and ZBo (retired, most fans did not want him playing here in his final year) for an NBA level starter and good pro in Harrison Barnes. He acquired Belly, one of our most consistent contributors. He removed George Karl as well as both Brandon Williams and Coach J after their public fall out (and coach J’s self-sabotaging finish to the season). I know you can’t credit him for DMC’s injuries post trade, but it’s not exactly a move that looks regrettable - even if you ignore DMC’s personality challenges. Yogi was an impact player last year. Holmes is an impact player this year. We do not have any albatross contracts that are not possible to move or inhibit our long-term flexibility.

Vlade has also made moves that I do not like. At best, Dedmond has struggled to integrate, at worst, he isn’t very good. Coach Walton, who does deserve time and should be judged on whether he can respond to junk, didn’t come with a great record as a head coach and may not have been my pick. Alec Burkes was never going to have any impact because we didn’t have the space for him. George Hill didn’t work out, but it didn’t matter because we ditched him quickly. Same with Ariza.

As an aside - I am going to logout and take a break from this forum for a while. I've said all I can and do not see myself having anything new to offer anytime soon. I will still be supporting the Kings, their players and staff - even if they don't win - I will be rooting for them to figure it out.

Technically I posted the URL to the thread. The sites code automatically inserts the content of Reddit.
Can you summarize the article, using your own words? :)

According to the article on a Serbian portal, Luka said that he wanted to play in Dallas, so he did not send medical documentation to the Kings. However, he expected to be drafted by them anyway.

Can you summarize the article, using your own words? :)

According to the article on a Serbian portal, Luka said that he wanted to play in Dallas, so he did not send medical documentation to the Kings. However, he expected to be drafted by them anyway.
damn! I guess we shouldn’t be hard on Vlade than cause I think JJJ did the same thing and he’s who I would’ve drafted after Luka. Why did Luka wanna go to Dallas so bad

If Luka didn’t send his medical to us and that’s why Vlade passed I’ll Be defending Vlade now, that’s the main move that made me hate him. Vlade should’ve still called his bluff but that’s another story.

we can’t blame Vlade for Bagley being made out of glass or buddy having the IQ of a HS player. I’d let Vlade finish out his contract and see how the team is by than, at that point we move on or not. I think his future will lie in the hands of Fox if Fox can continue to perform what he’s been doing since the turn of the year and get better he might be safe. I have no confidence in Bagley though