Some Bagley love..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bagley was available to play yesterday Fakers game. Coach Walton did not play him because he had already planned the game without him. So I read a comment in the game thread yesterday.

If we were able to get him to sign a similar deal he'd probably be a bigger trade asset. I can't imagine he'd take that deal until going through FA though.
He's an expiring 11 million right now and no one will touch him. I'm not sure 4 years at 12.5 is palatable to teams. Carter Jr. is thoroughly mediocre but he doesn't have any baggage, can improve defensively, and has a true position.

He's an expiring 11 million right now and no one will touch him. I'm not sure 4 years at 12.5 is palatable to teams. Carter Jr. is thoroughly mediocre but he doesn't have any baggage, can improve defensively, and has a true position.
Well, it might be they want Bagley for free and are smart enough to wait for the Kings to Papa G him. There is no way the Kings can fit all the players factored into the rotation right now into the actual rotation unless Walton goes back to his wheel of fortune style of a few games on then a few games off. Which is not an answer. It never is.

Part of the problem is that he's an expiring #2 pick who seems to want to get paid and thinks his current team is hampering him. If he's on a middle of the road 2nd deal that isn't going to break a team, and they get 4 years to get past the injury/slow development that will offset the possibility you might have to pay the guy 20mil plus next year to keep him because he has one good season or even worse finally shows up at the end of the season.

Part of the problem is that he's an expiring #2 pick who seems to want to get paid and thinks his current team is hampering him. If he's on a middle of the road 2nd deal that isn't going to break a team, and they get 4 years to get past the injury/slow development that will offset the possibility you might have to pay the guy 20mil plus next year to keep him because he has one good season or even worse finally shows up at the end of the season.
This is a great point. Even teams who might want to gamble on Bagley's potential likely wouldn't want to do so if it means he's a restricted FA at the end of the season and they'd risk either losing him for nothing or possibly matching another team's potential overpay offer.

But if Bagley were signed for four more years at a reasonable number and were able to stay healthy and put up improved numbers he is probably viewed as a better trade asset. Heck, it also potentially makes him a player the Kings would be willing to keep around.

The problems are that (1) Bagley isn't likely to sign that sort of deal (2) he hasn't shown the ability to stay healthy yet and (3) so far Marvin has shown only marginal improvements in years 2 & 3 so I don't think it's likely that he makes a leap in year 4.

As I've said, I will continue to root for Bagley as long as he's a King and it's the best case scenario for the Kings if he improves significantly this season, but I largely see the same player now as his rookie season. He's improved his outside shot, and in a small sample size this preseason he looks a bit better defensively, but he's still largely a talented interior scorer and a gifted though not fundamental rebounder who doesn't really impact winning. I don't mean this as derisively as it probably sounds, but he's primarily a garbage scorer who leaks out for easy buckets and looks for his own shot while still having defensive lapses which allows easy baskets and largely negates what he does well on the other end.

The Lakers game may be an anomaly or it may be a sign of things to come. If it's the latter it means that the Kings are focused on making the playoffs and Bagley isn't seen as a key part of that goal and that the team is past the point of sacrificing potential wins to develop their former #2 pick.

If that's the case, a $12.5 million/year extension for Bagley may look like wishful thinking at the end of this season.

yeah if Bagley has a great injury free year, I assume he could get an extension in this range. WCJ has been awesome when he's on the court, just really struggled with injuries. Bagley's problem is he's had tremendous injury problems, but hasn't been even close to as impactful as WCJ (who I actually really wanted if we were going to stay at 7 in that draft... ugh)

It's an overpay in my opinion also as I'm not totally convinced JJJ is a difference maker at this point, but maybe I'm too focused on rebounding (never mind staying healthy). However, I can understand the logic for Memphis. As a restricted free agent, if JJJ has any sort of solid, healthy season this year, he would almost surely get a bigger offer next summer. He still has the upside of a great contributor for them going forward.

In my mind, maybe the difference between JJJ and Bagley is that I would want to insure JJJ is part of our future (even with some risk), while I am indifferent with Bagley moving forward.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I wonder if Monte truly didn’t make an offer, or if he “lowballed” Bagley’s camp and had an extension rejected.

I’m still rooting for Bagley to turn it around and be a long term, Vlade vindicating, impact player for us. I’m also rooting for my $100 SHIB investment to make me a crypto millionaire by 2025. Not sure which of those has better odds of happening.

I wonder if Monte truly didn’t make an offer, or if he “lowballed” Bagley’s camp and had an extension rejected.

I’m still rooting for Bagley to turn it around and be a long term, Vlade vindicating, impact player for us. I’m also rooting for my $100 SHIB investment to make me a crypto millionaire by 2025. Not sure which of those has better odds of happening.
I doubt either side wanted to agree to an offer. Bagley would like a year to prove himself then negotiate and the Kings won’t want to get locked in at a price around the qualifying offer.

more interesting is will the Kings even offer Marvin a qualifying offer on the fear he might take it at 14M

I doubt either side wanted to agree to an offer. Bagley would like a year to prove himself then negotiate and the Kings won’t want to get locked in at a price around the qualifying offer.

more interesting is will the Kings even offer Marvin a qualifying offer on the fear he might take it at 14M
I mean is he really gonna get a better offer as a restricted FA? My guess is he would get a 2 year deal at something less then the QO with the 2nd year being a team option

Status
Not open for further replies.