So why not go full rebuild?

The Kings, as currently constructed, might be able to make a few moves to be in contention for the 8th seed next season. But I don't see this team being capable of much more.

Barnes & Bogdanovic are 28 and Hield will be next month as well. There's not a lot of room for growth and Buddy and Barnes are making $46 million next season and signed for 4 and 3 more seasons respectively. And Bogi (who I really like) will want a sizeable new deal as well.

Bagley (if he can stay healthy) has yet to show that he is more than a decent big and the rest of the roster is role players.

Plus I think there are two harsh truths here.

(1) De'Aaron Fox is not likely to be the best player on a contending team
(2) Short of a Webber type gamble in a trade, the Kings will only get another star (or stars, should we be so lucky) via the draft.

So with 2021 (and 2022 for that matter) being projected as a much stronger draft at the top, why not blow up the roster and tank fully?

Trade 1

SAC sends Bogdanovic (S&T) and Barnes
SAC receives Ilyasova, Lopez, Bledsoe, DiVincenzo, 2021 1st (lottery protected), 2021 2nd (via IND)
MIL sends Ilyasova, Lopez, Bledsoe, DiVincenzo, 2021 1st (lottery protected), 2021 2nd (via IND)
MIL receives Bogdanovic (S&T) and Barnes

This deal depends on Bogi agreeing to a sign-and-trade and to a lesser extent, Lopez opting in. But assuming those things happen, the Bucks have signaled a willingness to take on Barnes' salary if it nets them Bogdanovic. Bledsoe's deal has three years left but year three has only $3.9M of the 19.4M guaranteed.

Trade 2

PHI sends Horford, Thybulle, lottery protected 2022 1st
PHI receives Buddy Hield, Nemanja Bjelica
SAC sends Buddy Hield, Nemanja Bjelica
SAC receives Batum, Thybulle, 76ers 2022 1st
CHA sends Batum
CHA receives Horford

That deal is dependent on the Hornets drafting Ball or Edwards rather than Wiseman or Okongwu and liking Horford as their center but I think it's reasonable.

In the draft, swing for the fences. If I were looking for a plug and play guy I'd grab Saddiq Bey or Devin Vassell who are both high floor 3&D guys with more growth potential than many are giving them credit for.

But if we want to bet on upside (and assuming Hayes, Haliburton, Okoro etc are off the board) then you're looking at guys like Patrick Williams (who may be long gone by #12 based on current rumors), Tyrell Terry, Jalen Smith, Kira Lewis Jr, and maybe RJ Hampton who showed quickness/athleticism but not much else in the NBL.

But there's a bigger risk/reward prospect.

My choices:

#12 Aleksej Pokusevski
#35 Paul Reed
#43 Jordan Nwora
#52 Abdoulaye N'Doye (who I think comes over next season)

Other 2nd round gems might be Elijah Hughes, Devon Dotson, Cassius Stanley, and traditional bigs like Isaiah Stewart, Vernon Carey, or Udoka Azubuike who aren't as valued in today's NBA but will likely outplay their draft slot.

I would add Tyler Bey and Jahmi'us Ramsey but I think they'll go in the 1st. Heck, so might a number of guys I listed. This will be a wild draft. So let's stick with my listed picks.

Here's next year's roster:

C Bagley, Holmes, Lopez
PF Ilyasova, Pokusevski, Reed
SF Batum, Nwora, FA (or Parker if he opts in)
SG Thybulle, DiVincenzo, James,
PG Fox, Bledsoe, Joseph

Bring Pokusevski along slowly but give the young guys as many useful minutes as possible and see what we have in Bagley. At best maybe he's another building block. At the least you hope he stays healthy and shows enough to be another trade piece. Maybe Poku is Dragan Bender part 2. Or maybe he's eventually a rim protector who handles, shoots, and passes like a wing. Why not gamble with the 12th pick in a weak draft?

With some lottery luck (and good drafting) the Kings get another star in next year's draft (I particularly like Cade Cunningham and Jalen Johnson right now but we'll see) and clear cap space to take on other bad contracts for assets.

Between Batum, Ilyasova, Lopez, Joseph (only guaranteed for $2.4M of the $12.6M), and Holmes, that's over $54 million that comes off the books. I'd like the Kings to re-sign Richaun, but they'd still have a much cleaner cap sheet going forward even with a huge extension for Fox.

The Kings have never really embraced a full rebuild and the constant on the fly tinkering to do just enough to make the playoffs hasn't even worked well enough to reach that simple goal over the last 14 seasons.

At this point, at least a tank and rebuild looks like an actual plan.

Last edited:
The Kings, as currently constructed, might be able to make a few moves to be in contention for the 8th seed next season. But I don't see this team being capable of much more.

Barnes & Bogdanovic are 28 and Hield will be next month as well. There's not a lot of room for growth and Buddy and Barnes are making $46 million next season and signed for 4 and 3 more seasons respectively. And Bogi (who I really like) will want a sizeable new deal as well.

Bagley (if he can stay healthy) has yet to show that he is more than a decent big and the rest of the roster is role players.

Plus I think there are two harsh truths here.

(1) De'Aaron Fox is not likely to be the best player on a contending team
(2) Short of a Webber type gamble in a trade, the Kings will only get another star (or stars, should we be so lucky) via the draft.

So with 2021 (and 2022 for that matter) being projected as a much stronger draft at the top, why not blow up the roster and tank fully?

Trade 1

SAC sends Bogdanovic (S&T) and Barnes
SAC receives Ilyasova, Lopez, Bledsoe, DiVincenzo, 2021 1st (lottery protected), 2021 2nd (via IND)
MIL sends Ilyasova, Lopez, Bledsoe, DiVincenzo, 2021 1st (lottery protected), 2021 2nd (via IND)
MIL receives Bogdanovic (S&T) and Barnes

This deal depends on Bogi agreeing to a sign-and-trade and to a lesser extent, Lopez opting in. But assuming those things happen, the Bucks have signaled a willingness to take on Barnes' salary if it nets them Bogdanovic. Bledsoe's deal has three years left but year three has only $3.9M of the 19.4M guaranteed.

Trade 2

PHI sends Horford, Thybulle, lottery protected 2022 1st
PHI receives Buddy Hield, Nemanja Bjelica
SAC sends Buddy Hield, Nemanja Bjelica
SAC receives Batum, Thybulle, 76ers 2022 1st
CHA sends Batum
CHA receives Horford

That deal is dependent on the Hornets drafting Ball or Edwards rather than Wiseman or Okongwu and liking Horford as their center but I think it's reasonable.

In the draft, swing for the fences. If I were looking for a plug and play guy I'd grab Saddiq Bey or Devin Vassell who are both high floor 3&D guys with more growth potential than many are giving them credit for.

But if we want to bet on upside (and assuming Hayes, Haliburton, Okoro etc are off the board) then you're looking at guys like Patrick Williams (who may be long gone by #12 based on current rumors), Tyrell Terry, Jalen Smith, Kira Lewis Jr, and maybe RJ Hampton who showed quickness/athleticism but not much else in the NBL.

But there's a bigger risk/reward prospect.

My choices:

#12 Aleksej Pokusevski
#35 Paul Reed
#43 Jordan Nwora
#52 Abdoulaye N'Doye (who I think comes over next season)

Other 2nd round gems might be Elijah Hughes, Devon Dotson, Cassius Stanley, and traditional bigs like Isaiah Stewart, Vernon Carey, or Udoka Azubuike who aren't as valued in today's NBA but will likely outplay their draft slot.

I would add Tyler Bey and Jahmi'us Ramsey but I think they'll go in the 1st. Heck, so might a number of guys I listed. This will be a wild draft. So let's stick with my listed picks.

Here's next year's roster:

C Bagley, Holmes, Lopez
PF Ilyasova, Pokusevski, Reed
SF Batum, Nwora, FA (or Parker if he opts in)
SG Thybulle, DiVincenzo, James,
PG Fox, Bledsoe, Joseph

Bring Pokusevski along slowly but give the young guys as many useful minutes as possible and see what we have in Bagley. At best maybe he's another building block. At the least you hope he stays healthy and shows enough to be another trade piece. Maybe Poku is Dragan Bender part 2. Or maybe he's eventually a rim protector who handles, shoots, and passes like a wing. Why not gamble with the 12th pick in a weak draft?

Other candidates I like at #12 are

With some lottery luck (and good drafting) the Kings get another star in next year's draft (I particularly like Cade Cunningham and Jalen Johnson right now but we'll see) and clear cap space to take on other bad contracts for assets.

Between Batum, Ilyasova, Lopez, Joseph (only guaranteed for $2.4M of the $12.6M), and Holmes, that's over $54 million that comes off the books. I'd like the Kings to re-sign Richaun, but they'd still have a much cleaner cap sheet going forward even with a huge extension for Fox.

The Kings have never really embraced a full rebuild and the constant on the fly tinkering to do just enough to make the playoffs hasn't even worked well enough to reach that simple goal over the last 14 seasons.

At this point, at least a tank and rebuild looks like an actual plan.
We have tried to rebuild though, and even luck was on our side. We just drafted the worst possible player from a timeline perspective. Bagley's injuries and also not being a clear cut star from day 1 makes all the difference between the cap for this team being an 8 seed contender and a promising team with lots of upside at this point (e.g. if you replaced Bagley with Doncic or Young.. heck maybe even MPJ?). And as you've identified, the problem then is that we kinda need to know what we're going for in the next two seasons.

We have tried to rebuild though, and even luck was on our side. We just drafted the worst possible player from a timeline perspective. Bagley's injuries and also not being a clear cut star from day 1 makes all the difference between the cap for this team being an 8 seed contender and a promising team with lots of upside at this point (e.g. if you replaced Bagley with Doncic or Young.. heck maybe even MPJ?). And as you've identified, the problem then is that we kinda need to know what we're going for in the next two seasons.

I think what you have to go for is to clean up the capsheet, acquire additional draft capital and tank for a second star. That's the long and the short of it.

If not, look at where this team is in three seasons with the current contracts.

If Bagley hasn't taken a giant leap then I don't see how the Kings haven't either missed the playoffs or barely snuck in as an 8th seed in those three years.

Barnes, Hield, and Bogdanovic (if resigned) would all be 31 that off-season. Barnes would be a FA, Buddy would have one year left and Bogi would likely either be a FA or have one year left.

I just don't see a path forward with the current roster that gets this team over the hump.

I’ve given this some thought myself in recent days. In addition to our current roster having seemingly limited potential, this next season seems as good as any to tank. Shortened season, no (or perhaps limited) fans in attendance and a strong draft. I wouldn’t say I’m sold on the idea but think it should be considered.

The hard part is that this fan base is already waning and tired of losing. But from the time of patching up the remnants of the early 2000's teams, to building around Tyreke and Cousins (and then just Cousins) to trying to build around Fox & Buddy it's been a lot of failed efforts.

It will be interesting to see what McNair's strategy is, whether it's trying to do a minor retool and win now, a complete teardown and tank job/rebuild or something in between.

I just hope we now finally have a front office with a plan and good talent evaluation. We'll see.

I think your two truths are self evident. I would caveat by saying Fox will never be the best “scorer” on a championship team. I think there is a clear path for him to be a Chauncey, Stockton or Zeke type of best player who only focuses on buckets in the 4th. I think we’ll want a pure bucket-getter next to him (Bags, in theory) and a secondary playmaker who is great defensively (not on roster currently).

This next season is going to be played in empty arenas for the majority of the year. I've gone from die hard sports junkie to barely watching football and completely skipping out on the NBA, NHL restarts and the entirety of MLB. I'm all in on a tank but I wonder how many other teams have the same thought?

Given the likelihood of no fans at Golden 1 for all or some of the season, and the hype that is growing around the top of the 2021 draft, this does seem like perfect time to adopt a “one step back, two steps forward” strategy.

Now, there are degrees to how far you take it, and the devil in in the details. To me that means at the very least you explore sign and trades for Bogi and also see what you can get for Bjelica, since he’s expiring. I’d listen to offers for Buddy and Barnes but I wouldn’t seek to dump them at all costs. Their contracts may turn some teams off, and if you’re getting a lower return as a result in dealing them, does that outweigh any value you’d get in using their cap space to take someone else’s bad deal?

I wonder how the possibility of making a playoff play-in will impact how other teams approach the season. there may be some teams looking For a win now vet, then.

Last edited:
I agree that there is no clear path forward. We need more draft picks.
GSW also owns Minnesota's pick if it lands 4-30. That pick could be up for grabs. GSW, being in win-now mode, could be interested in some of our players.

The only thing that points to not is that the team does have talent. It isn't old. And it does seem to compliment each other on paper. This all comes down to McNair trimming some positional fat so there is a legit 5 starters and Luke learning how to use them properly. The other fact is it might not be an easy rebuild path with something of value coming back the other way right now because of the damage done to the value of the Kings best assets either by misuse or injury. This is why getting a legit core going is important even if the idea is to rebuild. Raise values, then at the deadline you strike if need be.

The only thing that points to not is that the team does have talent. It isn't old. And it does seem to compliment each other on paper. This all comes down to McNair trimming some positional fat so there is a legit 5 starters and Luke learning how to use them properly. The other fact is it might not be an easy rebuild path with something of value coming back the other way right now because of the damage done to the value of the Kings best assets either by misuse or injury. This is why getting a legit core going is important even if the idea is to rebuild. Raise values, then at the deadline you strike if need be.
The Kings roster (outside of both Bogi and Buddy wanting to start) is pretty balanced.

It's just not good enough to make the playoffs in the West.

Fox
Bogdanovic (assuming he's re-signed) or Hield
Barnes
Bjelica
Bagley or Holmes

Has decent shooting, passing and can get up and down the floor. It's poor defensively and soft on the glass.

Barnes plays better as a PF but is a poor rebounder and overpaid relative to his on court contributions.

Bogi and Buddy are two of the five best players on the team but so far playing them together at the SG/SF spots hasn't yielded great results.

But if the Kings go into next season with essentially the same roster (plus draft picks if they don't trade them) then I think they should start

Fox
Hield
Bogdanovic
Barnes
Bagley

Play fast and see if you can outshoot/outscore other teams. I don't really see another way for this team to be successful with what they currently have.

I think what you have to go for is to clean up the capsheet, acquire additional draft capital and tank for a second star. That's the long and the short of it.

If not, look at where this team is in three seasons with the current contracts.

If Bagley hasn't taken a giant leap then I don't see how the Kings haven't either missed the playoffs or barely snuck in as an 8th seed in those three years.

Barnes, Hield, and Bogdanovic (if resigned) would all be 31 that off-season. Barnes would be a FA, Buddy would have one year left and Bogi would likely either be a FA or have one year left.

I just don't see a path forward with the current roster that gets this team over the hump.
Their cap sheet is fine. That is one thing Vlade did do.

The team needs to make the playoffs period. Right now looks like no fans in G1C or any other California NBA arena. The financial hit will be huge, it's going to get ugly between the city and the Kings for payments on the loans.

The Philly deal just makes way too much freaking sense to me to not happen. I think us absorbing Horford isn't the worst idea in the world either because he's a high post passer/shooter and can protect the rim on offense. He was still dynamic when he was at C last season, just didn't work in the slightest next to Embiid.

Buddy and Bjelica solves almost all their issues. While Thybulle's defense is obviously legit, he's not the piece that gets that core over the hump. Moves Tobias back to his natural position at the 4, furthering spacing opportunities and you get an elite shooter to open up all the attention that Embiid and Simmons command in the paint. They're trading two future assets for 2 win now assets that directly fix their team's biggest problem in their current contention window.

For us, you get someone I think can be in contention for DPOY down the line in Thybulle, a future 1st and a (grossly) overpaid C that would complement Fox and Bagley's skill-set well as a secondary creator and rim protector.

The Philly deal just makes way too much freaking sense to me to not happen. I think us absorbing Horford isn't the worst idea in the world either because he's a high post passer/shooter and can protect the rim on offense. He was still dynamic when he was at C last season, just didn't work in the slightest next to Embiid.

Buddy and Bjelica solves almost all their issues. While Thybulle's defense is obviously legit, he's not the piece that gets that core over the hump. Moves Tobias back to his natural position at the 4, furthering spacing opportunities and you get an elite shooter to open up all the attention that Embiid and Simmons command in the paint. They're trading two future assets for 2 win now assets that directly fix their team's biggest problem in their current contention window.

For us, you get someone I think can be in contention for DPOY down the line in Thybulle, a future 1st and a (grossly) overpaid C that would complement Fox and Bagley's skill-set well as a secondary creator and rim protector.
Yeah, I had Horford moving on to Charlotte both for cap reasons and to clear playing time at C for Bagley and Holmes (who vastly outplayed his contract last year) but holding on to Horford wouldn't be the worst thing.

I could see the Kings making that trade even if they looked to reshuffle vs rebuild. Re-sign Bogi & Len and go after guys ready to contribute in the draft.

If so, I'd be looking to move around in the draft. Back a few slots from 12 if possible and package 2nd rounders to move up. If the Kings could manage the draft to come out with something like:

Aaron Nesmith
Grant Riller
Elijah Hughes

Then I'd be happy.

C Horford/Holmes/Len
PF Bagley/Barnes/Parker
SF Thybulle/Nesmith/FA
SG Bogdanovic/Hughes/James
PG Fox/Riller/Joseph

That's a pretty balanced starting five with some firepower off the bench.

The Kings roster (outside of both Bogi and Buddy wanting to start) is pretty balanced.

It's just not good enough to make the playoffs in the West.

Fox
Bogdanovic (assuming he's re-signed) or Hield
Barnes
Bjelica
Bagley or Holmes

Has decent shooting, passing and can get up and down the floor. It's poor defensively and soft on the glass.

Barnes plays better as a PF but is a poor rebounder and overpaid relative to his on court contributions.

Bogi and Buddy are two of the five best players on the team but so far playing them together at the SG/SF spots hasn't yielded great results.

But if the Kings go into next season with essentially the same roster (plus draft picks if they don't trade them) then I think they should start

Fox
Hield
Bogdanovic
Barnes
Bagley

Play fast and see if you can outshoot/outscore other teams. I don't really see another way for this team to be successful with what they currently have.
Then again, the Miami Heat were not good enough to make the finals. As for Bogdan and Buddy, that ship has sailed. They even kept the coach on board that bungled that combo worse than his predecessor. It's smarter to let Bogdan go at this point IMO. Don't add salary like that at a position you haven't figured out up to this point while potentially adding more junk dollars to your cap. It will only make it more difficult later to recoup value on them or other pieces down the line because they will likley be misused again do to lack of opportunity. The time to run that 2nd lineup has come and gone. They never gave it a legit shot and now they have to pay for it by either letting it go or continuing a descending cap death spiral.

Then again, the Miami Heat were not good enough to make the finals. As for Bogdan and Buddy, that ship has sailed. They even kept the coach on board that bungled that combo worse than his predecessor. It's smarter to let Bogdan go at this point IMO. Don't add salary like that at a position you haven't figured out up to this point while potentially adding more junk dollars to your cap. It will only make it more difficult later to recoup value on them or other pieces down the line because they will likley be misused again do to lack of opportunity. The time to run that 2nd lineup has come and gone. They never gave it a legit shot and now they have to pay for it by either letting it go or continuing a descending cap death spiral.
The problem is that letting Bogdanovic go for nothing is just bleeding assets for a team that has no real use for cap room anyway since it can't convince good players to sign in Sacramento.

The problem is that letting Bogdanovic go for nothing is just bleeding assets for a team that has no real use for cap room anyway since it can't convince good players to sign in Sacramento.
I hear ya, but as you alluded to earlier, is he the difference between this team being a threat or not? If he were at any other position that Buddy Hield didn't already cover he might be, but as used they basically cancel each other out from month to month when one or the other falls out of favor. Bleeding assets is something you can deal with in this scenario because the impending cap hell and compounding of a torched locker room likely isn't worth it. Also this isn't just about cap space although McNair has already spouted the "flexabilty" line so... Unless Lukes philosophy completely changes because they hired a GM that has no real allegiance to him anyway we know that value will continue to suffer somewhere. My point is by letting Bogdan go you perhaps give Walton no other choice but to use Buddy properly. By proxy his value as an asset goes up. Bogdan is a FA so his trade value is basically nothing right now. Once he signs a new deal that value will likely take a while to build back up again depending. Buddy is here on a long term major money deal and if Bogdan is the guy who wins the favor of McNarir you've just turned a player that might be the best shooter in the league in a shooters era into your new Jason Thompson/K9. If Buddy is the guy who wins out Bogdan is still unhappy as a backup and using up cap space in the process. The fact that it got here is ridiculous but it is what it is, now it's time to make some tough calls. The easiest path is you pick the guy you just unloaded the brinks truck on if he's not demanding out. If he is, then this becomes tougher. Much tougher.

The Kings played better with Bogi starting so my preference (if we only keep one of the two) would be to re-sign Bogdanovic and trade Hield.

That scenario at least has the Kings getting something in return for Buddy while signing Bogi to a lower money deal.

Just in terms of asset management that's better than keeping Hield and letting Bogdan walk for nothing.

But if the new Kings front office is eyeing a full rebuild then both should be on the block.

Bogi is worth something as a restricted FA. A sign and trade should be possible if the McNair crew decide to go that way. Otherwise they just match the deal after the market sets the price. Having both Bogi and Buddy until the trade deadline is not the worst thing. Gives this Front Office time to evaluate what they have.

The Kings have been rebuilding every year for about the last 12 years.
They have made some major blunders with draft picks.
They have the smallest market in the NBA, and have difficulty with trades.
They have been able to get some free agents, but never a big prize.
There are likely to struggle to make the playoffs for years to come.

The Kings have been rebuilding every year for about the last 12 years.
When was the last time Kings have truly rebuilt: aka trading majority of the roster for future assets and really set their goal for 3-5 years in the future? When has this franchise had multiple additional future assets and a mindset of getting top picks in the draft. Using the very valuable asset (cap space) for vets and trying to get the 8th seed but still sucking doesnt count as a rebuild, its just sucking and short sighted way of operating.

To me thats what this franchise has been doing way too long and why its performed so horribly for so long. Small market team, bad ownership, not enough top level talent: thats not a recipe for a succesfull franchise. Be bad for few years but at the same time put all your effort to being good in the future. Based on statistical facts its extremely hard to find franchise changing players in the draft outside of top 3-5. Its hard outside of #1 pick but so much harder at lets say 8th. Its also almost impossible to get them to commit via trade/free agency if all you can offer is bad small market team. Those are the facts, hopefully this new FO acts according to those facts rahter than getting pressured by owners to chase that 8th seed.

The Kings do not have to do a full rebuild. They have one maybe franchise player, he's going to be paid like one. They possibly have a #2 player if he can stay healthy (Bagley) and they just drafted an absolute stud do everything guard.

They have a couple pieces that will be traded this year for sure for assets

Holmes
Bjelly

They have 2 players who's value is in the eye of the beholder, but should net something

Buddy (and Buddy may just stay?)
Barnes

They have a bunch of filler contracts for trades that could net a higher paid player or a bad contract with an attached pick

Whiteside
Parker
GRIII
James
Jeffries

and for the first time ever, we have a bunch of guys on the Phili style, 2n round pick 4 year contract that allows team control

We have one dead weight contract, that is gone after this year

CoJo. He might be filler in a trade, but its a pretty big contract, so probably not.

We finish 5-7 range and have similar draft capital as to get into the top 3.

Another smart pick and we are off and making a name. I also have faith (for the first time since Petrie) that our FO can actually pull off positive trades.

So why would we trade everything to try and get picks for 24/25/26?

If Monte can turn the expirings we have into an additional first round pick or two over the next two seasons I think that's the right direction. There are going to be players especially if one and done is gone after this year (then again that draft will be a minefield, just like this one was without the benefit of the NCAA tourney - thankfully Monte looks like he can draft).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
They have the smallest market in the NBA, and have difficulty with trades.
The Kings actually are not the smallest market in the NBA - no matter how you measure it (TV market rankings, metropolitan statistical area, combined statistical area) they come out in the 21-23 range, with some combination of Portland, Charlotte, Utah, San Antonio, Indiana, Milwaukee, New Orleans, OKC and Memphis behind them.

That said, linear rank isn't worth too much because the biggest markets are disproportionately large. By CSA the Kings are about 2x the market size of #30 Memphis, but are 3x-4x smaller than each of the top 9 teams in the league.

So why would we trade everything to try and get picks for 24/25/26
There is a reasonable argument for focusing on lets say 23/24 season. What does this team need in order to be a truly competitive team? We already have very solid role players, good enough to be the supporting staff in a playoff team (Holmes, Buddy, Barnes, Whiteside, Bjelica, CoJo, GRIII ect.)

What we need is a star. We can only go so far from here if we just make marginal improvements like getting a slightly better center instead of Holmes or Whiteside or getting a bit better wing to take minutes from Barnes, GRIII or Bjelly. The way for us to truly improve is getting that star level player, thats pretty much the only way we'll become a credible contender. Haliburton is a great pick when picking after 10 but will he be that star level impact player or a very good supporting cast role player? Imo he doesnt have that star upside so between him and Fox, there is most likely enough for the two guard spots for a very good team. That still leaves us needing a star.

If needing a star gets ackonwledged as a fact, then the question is how are we going to get that another star. Via free agency? Very unlikely that any free agents would choose to sign to this core. Via draft? Its very hard to draft a star outside of top 2-3. That basically means either hoping for a miracle when drafting at 8-12 or putting ourselves in a position to draft 1-5.

If we traded away Buddy, Barnes, Holmes, Bjelly, Whiteside, CoJO ect of course it would sting this year. The bright side is, you can get those type of guys via trades and free agancy literally every year. That means if we put ourselves in a position to draft that star, we can replicate our current supporting cast pretty easily in 1-2 years. Thats at least a lot more easy than getting a star level player when drafting 8th or higher or trying to get that via free agency

When was the last time Kings have truly rebuilt: aka trading majority of the roster for future assets and really set their goal for 3-5 years in the future? When has this franchise had multiple additional future assets and a mindset of getting top picks in the draft. Using the very valuable asset (cap space) for vets and trying to get the 8th seed but still sucking doesnt count as a rebuild, its just sucking and short sighted way of operating.

To me thats what this franchise has been doing way too long and why its performed so horribly for so long. Small market team, bad ownership, not enough top level talent: thats not a recipe for a succesfull franchise. Be bad for few years but at the same time put all your effort to being good in the future. Based on statistical facts its extremely hard to find franchise changing players in the draft outside of top 3-5. Its hard outside of #1 pick but so much harder at lets say 8th. Its also almost impossible to get them to commit via trade/free agency if all you can offer is bad small market team. Those are the facts, hopefully this new FO acts according to those facts rahter than getting pressured by owners to chase that 8th seed.
And I don't think this necessarily means Sixers level process either. But in the last 5 years we've paid:
Rajon Rondo $9 mil/season
Kosta Koufos $8 mil/season
George Hill $20 mil/season
Zach Randolph $12 mil/season
Vince Carter $8 mil/season
Corey Joseph $12 mil/season
Dewayne Dedmon $13 mil/season
Trevor Ariza $12 mil/season
Harrison Barnes $22 mil/season

The only true value contracts we've had:
Nemanja Bjelica 3 years/21 mil
Richaun Holmes 2 years/10 mil
Yogi Ferrell 2 yrs/6 mil

Now imagine how well stocked this organization would be if we used all that cap space on bring in future draft capital or taking on bad contracts for young assets. Where would this franchise be?