Skinner to Backup Miller ...

Quote taken from today's Sac-Bee article about Mo Evans written by: Martin McNeal

"When Brad Miller returns to the lineup, Brian Skinner will play behind him. Evans should become part of a second unit that in limited situations has proven to be capable in all areas. It will be a much different unit, probably more active defensively, and more dependent on getting to the basket than the starters."

Just how much validity do we give this ???? RATZ ... I woulda like to have seen Skinner starting at C and Brad move over to PF.

Well, I'm gonna hold-out till game time .... Adelman holds ALL THE CARDS !!!

That's True ...

Heuge said:
That sounds right. We need size coming off the bench and RA has liked a defensive oriented second unit over the years.
but, with all the recent trades/discoveries/results .... we've got a NEW LOOK KING's team.

and if you haven't figured me out by now ... I'M A DEFENSE FIRST, OFFENSE SECOND type of mind.

Hey, I can dream .... all that really matters is that WE HAVEN'T LOST HOPE.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We may have a new look Kings, but Rick Adelman isn't going to move Brad Miller to PF. The ONLY reason he did it before was because we still had the wily veteran center Vlade Divac. Now, with the team actively developing Darius, something I am ecstatic to see, BTW, at PF, the better move is to do exactly what they're saying will happen. Have Skinner come off the bench, and continue to rotate our bigs as much as possible.

There are always people who seem to feel a few good performances on the court when a starter is injured should be rewarded by putting the bench player into the starting lineup. That generally is exactly the LAST thing you want to do. Starters are starters for very good reasons.

Don't get me wrong. I love what Skinner has brought to this team so far. And I'm sure he'll get a fair amount of PT because he has shown effort and production. I just don't see the need to have him in the starting position.

Its Adelman, what do you expect. He will never break his mold. :\ This is the same man who put one-legged Webber towards the end of last season when we were jockeying for a position in the post season.

PFFFT!! said:
Its Adelman, what do you expect. He will never break his mold. :\ This is the same man who put one-legged Webber towards the end of last season when we were jockeying for a position in the post season.
What a bunch of crap!
He has had to adgust more then most. RA is the key reason why we have done so well with change and injuries over the years. To ignore this, wrong.

Its not breaking from the mold to put Skinner and Miller in the line-up, it is silly. We would be very undersized on our bench. Next year, maybe. But with this roster it just doesn't make sense.

700 wins ...RA is a great coach

Really not a matter of who starts.. It is who finishes. I have a feeling we will see Skinner there come time to get important rebounds or stops.

imma defense 1st offense 2nd type of guy. our starting lineup should be

brad miller
skinner
peja
cuttino
mike bibby.

it would be too awkward to have a starting lineup that sucks on the defensive end and have to rely on the second unit for defensive stops. we should have a pretty good mix. brad miller is better on defense becuase now he doesnt have to guard webbers man. skinner is a shotblocker and cuttino is a solid one on one defender.

i feel that we need to establish grounds early in games. mo evans, corliss, and kenny are good rebounders and defenders. lets use these guys for energy.

tyrant said:
imma defense 1st offense 2nd type of guy. our starting lineup should be

brad miller
skinner
peja
cuttino
mike bibby.

it would be too awkward to have a starting lineup that sucks on the defensive end and have to rely on the second unit for defensive stops. we should have a pretty good mix. brad miller is better on defense becuase now he doesnt have to guard webbers man. skinner is a shotblocker and cuttino is a solid one on one defender.

i feel that we need to establish grounds early in games. mo evans, corliss, and kenny are good rebounders and defenders. lets use these guys for energy.
With this line-up our backups would attempt to keep their heads above water while they wait for the starters to return. I don't want that.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I really don't see much in the way of good alternatives to Brad starting and King Tut coming off the bench (with Tag not playing right now). Who would be the backup C? Darius? Peja? Erik? Those are the only other guys taller than 6'7" on the team....

No, Skinner needs to be the backup C. That's where he's needed most.

F

Fillmoe

i would like to see skinner in there because he blocks alot of shots! there hasnt been a game i saw in where he didnt block atleast 1 shot.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No one is saying Skinner won't get minutes. It's a fixation with some of you about changing starters in mid-stream. It happens every time one of our starters has to miss some games. One of the bench guys steps up and does good, and all of a sudden he's better than the starter?

PFFFT!! said:
Oh, geez. I think you can let that go now, PFFFT. It's old news and it's totally irrelevant at this point in time, and I think you just like to try and stir up OLD and VERY TIRED arguments.

Brian Skinner has been in a Kings uniform for two weeks. He wasn't a starter before, he didn't come here expecting to be a starter, and he is NOT going to be a starter for us at center once Brad is able to play again. It just isn't going to happen because it would make no sense outside of some fantasy leagues for it to be done.

Darius is starting at PF, as he should if you want to see the Kings try and develop younger players. Mike is our starting PG. Cat will start at the 2 guard position because we need a SHOOTING guard who can actually shoot and draw double-team defense. Evans will continue to get good minutes, IMHO, because he changes the dynamics of the team and adds more defense from the bench. Peja is our SF. Brad Miller is our C.

You don't shift players around in the real world like you do fantasy rosters.

Skinner didn't played some important role in Sixers,now he got chance because Miller is injured,but obviosly I think that Miller will be C and Darius will be PF.Darius will have about 25 minutes,same Thomas,they will share minutes.Miller is player for 35+ minutes so I doubt that Skinner will have more that 10+ minutes per game.He needs to step up now when he have chance,but later...hardley...

F

Fillmoe

i think we need to subtract some playing time from the starters. we need to stay energized for the playoffs, we have decent backups! cmon adelman spread the time equally if possible!

when brad returns, AND darius gets the start over kenny and brian
doesn't that leave the 2nd unit without a big man who knows the system longer than a few weeks

tyrant said:
brad miller is better on defense becuase now he doesnt have to guard webbers man. QUOTE]

Now I like Brad...don't get me wrong. But in case you haven't noticed, brad is really not a very good defender...at all. He can't block shots, he is an average rebounder, he is not very quick and he can get posted up by big guards (Marquis Daniles in the Mavs game comes to mind) let alone PF's and Centers (I remember Dampier and Stoudamire both backing him under the goal and dunking on him with very little resistance). But continue believing that Webber was the root of all evil on the Kings if it makes you feel better...

El Paljasso said:
when brad returns, AND darius gets the start over kenny and brian
doesn't that leave the 2nd unit without a big man who knows the system longer than a few weeks
If you notice, RA pretty much NEVER subs his C and PF out simultaneously. More likely, he would sub Darius out with Kenny Thomas, and then later bring in Skinner after KT is warmed up and feels comfortable out there with Brad. Who comes back into the lineup usually would depend if we need size or speed vs. our opponent. If we are playing San Antonio, you very likely will see Brad and Skinner out there together. If we are playing Phoenix, you could see Kenny Thomas and Darius as a lineup. I think you will see all combinations of those 4 throughout the remainder of the season.

For what it's worth, here's the "correct" lineup

B. Miller / Skinner / Darius
K. Thomas / Darius / Skinner / Corliss
Peja / Corliss / Evans
Cuttino / Evans
Bibby / crap

If we get a decent Bobby back we've got a great 2nd unit. We don't have a good backup PG without Bobby. That could be a problem, why else would Bibby be playing 40+ minutes.

I want Darius coming off the bench so we can run some stuff from the high post with our 2nd unit, plus I think Kenny is a better overall player.

We need Skinner for 20-30min, but we need him off the bench.

iheartBrad said:
great point

i agree

I predict the Adelman haters are going to enjoy some delicious "Crow a la Carte" when this team gets healthy. Rick gives minutes as earned, not simply out of a desire to develop young players when our goal is to win NOW. In the past when we've had a deep bench he never had a problem giving them playing time. Same will hold true now. Skinner, Thomas, Williamson, and Evans will ALL see meaningful minutes when/if this team is completely healthy. Depending on the matchup, Greg will even take the court.

And yes, Skinner should back up Miller. Miller is not a PF. Why start our two centers and bring PF's off the bench to replace them? That's goofy. Not to mention Darius has earned a starting spot. Also, the first team is used to playing with each other, as is the second team (Skinner-Thomas-Williamson-Evans).

After Miller/Mobley are healthy, I think we'll all be surprised at how the playing time evens out.
~~

Heuge said:
With this line-up our backups would attempt to keep their heads above water while they wait for the starters to return. I don't want that.
Its not like all the starters come out at once and the bench goes in. You mix and match your starters with your bench because while adding d you still want to be able to put points up. I want a defensive presence in there to start games. It would really help set the tempo instead of letting the other team run a layup drill.

I'm Sorry ....

I brought this up all because I actually think Brad is more productive/effective as a PF. Even Brad has said this himself in different interviews, ever since he's been here.

Since Vlade's departure .... I think this has been a "chink in our armour".

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
mr. moustache said:
For what it's worth, here's the "correct" lineup

B. Miller / Skinner / Darius
K. Thomas / Darius / Skinner / Corliss
Peja / Corliss / Evans
Cuttino / Evans
Bibby / crap
You forgot about Kevin Martin at OG, Eddie House at the point and Tag at center.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Folsom Al said:
I brought this up all because I actually think Brad is more productive/effective as a PF. Even Brad has said this himself in different interviews, ever since he's been here.

Since Vlade's departure .... I think this has been a "chink in our armour".
I think the concept of a strictly-defined center is becoming less and less widely used.

We generally have two bigs on the court at the same time, but there are often times when neither is actually playing the center position as it was once defined.

That's why, in my mind at least, the "title" of the position the player is playing isn't really important at all. We have a lot more flexibility right now than we've had in a very long time among our bigger players and I'm hoping to continue to see new combinations. As mentioned in other threads, it's the changes that are going to drive our opponents nuts the rest of the year because they have no game tapes, etc. to study...

GO KINGS!!!!!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
VF21 said:
I think the concept of a strictly-defined center is becoming less and less widely used.

We generally have two bigs on the court at the same time, but there are often times when neither is actually playing the center position as it was once defined.

That's why, in my mind at least, the "title" of the position the player is playing isn't really important at all. We have a lot more flexibility right now than we've had in a very long time among our bigger players and I'm hoping to continue to see new combinations. As mentioned in other threads, it's the changes that are going to drive our opponents nuts the rest of the year because they have no game tapes, etc. to study...

GO KINGS!!!!!
While this may be true, other teams do use a "true" center and playing a 6'7" F against that person on defense isn't going to be the brightest idea. We need size coming off the bench, and if it isn't Tag, then Skinner gets the role, I think.

Warhawk said:
I really don't see much in the way of good alternatives to Brad starting and King Tut coming off the bench (with Tag not playing right now). Who would be the backup C? Darius? Peja? Erik? Those are the only other guys taller than 6'7" on the team....

No, Skinner needs to be the backup C. That's where he's needed most.
To start you would have.... 1st 12:00
5-Skinner
4-Brad
3-Peja

You slide Brad to 5, and rest skinner at the 3 minute mark of the 1st, and bring in Thomas.... 1st 3:00
5-Brad
4-Thomas
3-Peja

Than at the end of the 1st quarter you would bring Skinner in for Brad and sub Williamson in for Peja... 2nd 12:00
5-Skinner
4-Thomas
3-Williamson

Thomas out at the 6 minute mark Brad comes back in, and Skinner out and Swing Williamson to 4, and bring Peja back in... 2nd 6:00
5-Brad
4-Williamson
3-Peja

At the four minute mark Bring Skinner back in, slide Brad to the 4.... 2nd 4:00
5-Skinner
4-Brad
3-Peja

And if there is foul trouble we would use Songalia, and Ostertag. I know I forgot about Songalia, but this is my "perfect" playoff 4 man forward rotation (only in my dreams! :D)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Warhawk said:
While this may be true, other teams do use a "true" center and playing a 6'7" F against that person on defense isn't going to be the brightest idea. We need size coming off the bench, and if it isn't Tag, then Skinner gets the role, I think.
I think we're arguing the same side of the discussion. I was attempting, apparently without success, to justify keeping Miller at center.

;)

As long as we can effectively get minutes to Skinner, Big Nasty, and the backup PF and effectively rest Brad, Peja, and the starting PF I will be fine. I hate seeing Peja, Brad and Bibby play over 40 min a game. They need their rest.