[SI] De'Aaron Fox and the Kings Are Building for the Future

The blame was absolutely on him. Especially because the exact same thing happened in his other stop. He’s a solid coach. He’s a coach that gets vastly overrated around here because we’ve been terrible for 16 years. He isn’t worth the problems he has with every single person he comes in contact with.
But, in his last stop, he got Memphis into the playoffs when they set a record for lost games due to injury. It was Coach of the Year worthy. He had the team trending in the right direction. I don’t think he’s overrated but clearly he’s not a Softy McWalton.
It’s a bit telling too that after 2 (almost) full seasons since he was fired that he still doesn’t have a head coaching job.

IMO that largely has to do with his attitude and behavior, not due to coaching ability or lack of success. He’s developed a poor reputation around the league. And as Slab said, it is his own doing.

I’m sure he’ll get another chance at some point, but if not for how it ended in MEM and SAC he’d have another job already. Better yet, he probably would still be working either of his past 2 gigs.

Last edited:
Fox and Haliburton will be a very good back court if Fox focuses on becoming a Peyton level defender night in and night out.

will he remains to be seen. If he does we could be a play-off team. If not we won’t be:

For next season teams most likely better than us pre-lottery:
Clippers, Lakers, Denver, Utah, Phoenix, Golden State, Dallas

teams fighting for one spot: Memphis, Portland, Minnesota, San Antonio, New Orleans,

OKC depending on the lottery results.

Houston is the only team for sure not in play-offs

The Kings have to find a difference maker in the front court. Monte’s move for Wright tied up more cap space so we won’t get a free agent acquisition. So it seems Monte has to find one in the draft. We shall see if he can.

Fox and Haliburton will be a very good back court if Fox focuses on becoming a Peyton level defender night in and night out.

will he remains to be seen. If he does we could be a play-off team. If not we won’t be:

teams fighting for one spot: Memphis, Portland, Minnesota, San Antonio, New Orleans,

The Kings have to find a difference maker in the front court. Monte’s move for Wright tied up more cap space so we won’t get a free agent acquisition. So it seems Monte has to find one in the draft. We shall see if he can.
Who was the last front court free agent signing that made a winning impact for the Kings? Vlade Divac? Keon Clark? Mikki Moore? ;)

I don't think Montes move for Wright and his contract will prevent the Kings from signing a good, impactful front court player. Regardless of cap space, they hardly ever choose to sign with Sacramento anyway. In fact, if it prevents a Dedmon-like signing, then that's a positive!

Who was the last front court free agent signing that made a winning impact for the Kings? Vlade Divac? Keon Clark? Mikki Moore? ;)

I don't think Montes move for Wright and his contract will prevent the Kings from signing a good, impactful front court player. Regardless of cap space, they hardly ever choose to sign with Sacramento anyway. In fact, if it prevents a Dedmon-like signing, then that's a positive!
Holmes and hopefully Metu or DJ ::fingers crossed::

Brad Miller in a sign and trade. :cool:

How soon they forget. ;)

you are incorrect. Joerger was rubbing people the wrong way early on.
And when more the one situatation provides smoke, there is likely fire. His Memphis gig ended in the same ways. And notice how no teams beat down his door once he was canned. He'll have to work his way back up now.

The Kings need more size on the wing over the frontcourt IMO or at the very least another combo F. With Barnes finally getting a chance to hold down the PF spot like he should have you likely only have real minutes for 2 bigs that will play center anyway. This is why not putting Bagley at center was a mistake. If he has any shot here, it's there in Holmes' role. If Holmes is brought back and they put Barnes back at SF then Barnes will dip again. We already know that and whatever trade value he has built up will be diminished instantly.

The Kings need more size on the wing over the frontcourt IMO or at the very least another combo F. With Barnes finally getting a chance to hold down the PF spot like he should have you likely only have real minutes for 2 bigs that will play center anyway. This is why not putting Bagley at center was a mistake. If he has any shot here, it's there in Holmes' role. If Holmes is brought back and they put Barnes back at SF then Barnes will dip again. We already know that and whatever trade value he has built up will be diminished instantly.
yeah we are thinking along the same lines. I just used the traditional guards frontline to eliminate the smaller wings like Buddy and Wright.

I like Holmes, but he hasnt moved the needle on a winning impact as of right now.
Holmes is an ideal role player to play next to someone like KAT or Davis who would rather play on the perimeter and space the floor. He is very good with guards who like to run a pick and roll like Haliburton or D. Russell.

the Kings problems is the have almost all role players and few stars. If I’m Richaun’s agent I’m giving the Minnesota GM a call.

Monte’s move for Wright tied up more cap space so we won’t get a free agent acquisition. So it seems Monte has to find one in the draft. We shall see if he can.
Unless we planned on letting Holmes walk, it did not. We were already going to be over the cap. Since Holmes can be signed with early Bird rights, we would have the MLE and any other exceptions to sign the rest.

My perspective on that has always been, like a free agent signing, Miller chose to come here. That counts.
Okay, I guess. The Kings traded Hedo to the Spurs and Pollard to the Pacers as part of the trade. Miller didn't refuse to accept the trade so I guess he technically chose to come here? Sounds like most trades fall into that category then...

I think this is the tricky part about building a winning squad. Who outside of the mega stars obviously moves the needle? I’m talking Harden, Lebron, Giannis Durant type guys. The rest you need the right combo of players, depth and a good coach
Great point, totally agree. It's why I'm pointing out that not having cap space to sign a free agent that won't help the Kings win more games (the likely scenario) might actually be a positive.

Okay, I guess. The Kings traded Hedo to the Spurs and Pollard to the Pacers as part of the trade. Miller didn't refuse to accept the trade so I guess he technically chose to come here? Sounds like most trades fall into that category then...
miller was a free agent so it was a sign and trade which means Miller wanted to sign here.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
4) vlade is serbian. some of you may be old enough to remember the serbian attempt to take over yugoslavia after tito died (after a war, the country was split into six entities). there were some war crimes and a lot of bitterness. drazen petrovic was the first yugoslaw "star" but he was a croat (as was toni kukoc) it was well known that due to the serbian perpetrated violence, petrovic refused to speak to vlade (petrovic died in an offseason "auto accident" - i have my doubts about the seemingly innocuous nature of his death).
OK, this entire post is basically ethnonationalist garbage, making weak arguments (basically no more than insinuations) in furtherance of centuries-old ethnic squabbles on the Balkan peninsula. This is a Sacramento Kings website. Despite our franchise having two notable former Serbian players/executives in Divac and Stojakovic the Kings and Kings fans in general have no dog in this pathetic, overlong fight. Please don't bring your partisan garbage and your conspiracy theories over the tragic auto accident that killed Petrovic here. (What, do you think those dastardly Serbs engineered an accident on the Autobahn in Germany to kill a basketball player? My God.)

It doesn't even deserve to be left up on the page. So I'm taking it down.

You’re not quite painting an accurate picture here. He didn’t just accept a trade. He accepted a sign and trade deal.

Unless he was fully on board, the deal wouldn’t have happened. So, yes, he clearly was in control of his fate and made the decision to come to SAC.

There’s no “guessing” or “technicalities” involved. And most trades do not fall into that category.

You’re not quite painting an accurate picture here. He didn’t just accept a trade. He accepted a sign and trade deal.

Unless he was fully on board, the deal wouldn’t have happened. So, yes, he clearly was in control of his fate and made the decision to come to SAC.

There’s no “guessing” or “technicalities” involved. And most trades do not fall into that category.
That's fair, thanks for setting me straight

miller was a free agent so it was a sign and trade which means Miller wanted to sign here.
That's fair, my mistake. I remember other teams being in the running so didn't think it was miller dictating Sacramento or no where. But my memory plays tricks on me.

So that was 2003. 18 years ago that an impactful front court player wanted to sign here. Yikes.

That's fair, my mistake. I remember other teams being in the running so didn't think it was miller dictating Sacramento or no where. But my memory plays tricks on me.

So that was 2003. 18 years ago that an impactful front court player wanted to sign here. Yikes.
yeah it was a long time ago. So most here were too young to know details or are now old enough their memory isn’t what it once was. :)

Vivek is in the bottom fourth of NBA owners in terms of net worth and the Kings have lost a ton of money during the pandemic. The economic reality is that the team likely isn't in a position to fire and hire another coach.

And while McNair hasn't said much, he's repeatedly mentioned building the team along De'Aaron's timeline. So as long as Walton can do enough to help a (hopefully) improved roster get into the playoffs next season he's likely seen as fine for now. Point being, I'd be surprised if Walton is let go this off-season.

This off-season will give a better sense of what kind of GM McNair is. So far he's mostly made minor opportunistic moves. The only major moves have been drafting Haliburton after he slid to the Kings and the mess of the failed Bogi sign-and-trade followed by not matching.

What he does with Richaun will be interesting and likely similar to Bogdanovic but for less money. The Catch-22 for mediocre teams is that fans generally don't like seeing players leave as free agents but decent players almost always sign a bigger contract and there's not a ton of sense in continually paying more to keep together a core that hasn't shown itself to be capable of winning.

That said, I really like Holmes and would like to see him back at a reasonable figure depending on the other off-season moves.

I don't think either Hield or Bagley are part of the King's future but they are also both have very little trade value with Marvin unable to stay healthy or improve defensively and Buddy taking a step back this year and becoming very one dimensional.

Monte has his work cut out for him.