Shams: Lakers discuss Kuzma for Buddy deal

I do wonder, given the rumors of momentum toward re-signing Holmes, if there’s a third team willing to take one of those guys into cap space
What will you or lakers be willing to give for that. Im not convinced that thisnisna good deal for the kings as it is, let alone giving up more to have a team absorb on into their cap.

He has it 22, Harrell, and (Kuz or Kcp). 22 and Harrell are a part of the deal. Kuz or KCP is up to the Kings.
I'll be honest, give me KCP/Trez/22. It's pretty much a perfect deal for Buddy: Both KCP/Trez are expiring, both would help us "win-now" next season and potentially be trade chips to flip at the deadline and you get an extra young player to add to the core.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'll be honest, give me KCP/Trez/22. It's pretty much a perfect deal for Buddy: Both KCP/Trez are expiring, both would help us "win-now" next season and potentially be trade chips to flip at the deadline and you get an extra young player to add to the core.
Lakers doing everything they can to not trade KCP because they don't want to tick off Lebron and Klutch Sports.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I mean, the idea is that if Harrell wants to play for the Kings under the terms of his player option, he would exercise the option early in order to facilitate the trade. The Massey tweet earlier suggests Harrell is indeed willing to play in Sacramento. We've had several point out here that it's ultimately Harrell's decision, but if reports that he's amenable are true, then it's not a hold-up at all.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I would think any real hold up, since the Lakers actually have to select the pick, is if we don't like who's left at 22.

Even if it was Trez and he opted out, that wouldn't crush us, would it? But it would be very nice if he actually is willing to come here because of Rico. That'd be a first.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would think any real hold up, since the Lakers actually have to select the pick, is if we don't like who's left at 22.

Even if it was Trez and he opted out, that wouldn't crush us, would it? But it would be very nice if he actually is willing to come here because of Rico. That'd be a first.
I think the deal is constructed such that any two of KCP, Trez, or Kuzma has to go to the Kings in order for the money to work.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think the deal is constructed such that any two of KCP, Trez, or Kuzma has to go to the Kings in order for the money to work.
Right but they could trade him today and he opts out and it's ok? Or is this a thing where the deal actually doesn't actually happen when it's announced, but after Aug 1?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If both pairs of rumors are correct (a long shot in this time of smokescreens I suppose):

1. The Kings are likely to trade for Montrezl Harrell
  2. The Kings are likely to resign Richaun Holmes
It would seem to indicate that Sengun is likely not the pick at #9 assuming the Kings even keep that pick.

Very hard to try and read the tea leaves right now so I may as well stop. I just hope that by the end of tonight I feel better about this Kings team and its future than I do now.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
One of the cap experts here'd probably need to clarify this but I don't think his salary counts in a trade unless he opts in to next year
This is correct. Harrell's contract cannot be traded currently. League rules don't allow post-deadline (like during the dead period now) trades of contracts that could end due to player options. Oddly enough, they DO allow trades of contracts that could end due to team options, which is a bit incongruous. Bottom line is that Harrell has to opt in to his contract for it to be tradeable.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
This is correct. Harrell's contract cannot be traded currently. League rules don't allow post-deadline (like during the dead period now) trades of contracts that could end due to player options. Oddly enough, they DO allow trades of contracts that could end due to team options, which is a bit incongruous. Bottom line is that Harrell has to opt in to his contract for it to be tradeable.
See I knew the latter was done all the time to skirt the cap, didn't realize the former. Thanks as always Cap.

I imagine that while we wait for 22 to come in Monte is working the phones to Philly saying its happening and you're on the clock. Lakers interest in Buddy which appears very real would have to help his trade stock? Although the KOC article where he glossed about Buddy being held back by non-playoff teams getting to shine with LeBron was kind of terrifying. Either way I don't see it turning around for Buddy here so it is what it is.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Right but they could trade him today and he opts out and it's ok? Or is this a thing where the deal actually doesn't actually happen when it's announced, but after Aug 1?
If I have it right, this deal actually can't happen until I think it was August 2 (next "season"), but that restriction is due to Kuzma's extension causing some salary cap issues this "season", not Harrell, whose contract could be dealt on either side of the season divider so long as he opts in. If we were to replace Kuzma with KCP, the deal could be done today. But agreements to make a deal when the season rolls over are not at all uncommon, and we usually hear of them as if they have happened on draft day (but the NBA typically does not acknowledge them, so the player picked would wear a Laker cap, etc.)

If both pairs of rumors are correct (a long shot in this time of smokescreens I suppose):

1. The Kings are likely to trade for Montrezl Harrell
  2. The Kings are likely to resign Richaun Holmes
It would seem to indicate that Sengun is likely not the pick at #9 assuming the Kings even keep that pick.

Very hard to try and read the tea leaves right now so I may as well stop. I just hope that by the end of tonight I feel better about this Kings team and its future than I do now.
It depends... is Monte making the selection today, or is Vlade walking back through that door? A 3 center line-up just might be the "zag" when the rest of the league is "zigging". :p

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It depends... is Monte making the selection today, or is Vlade walking back through that door? A 3 center line-up just might be the "zag" when the rest of the league is "zigging". :p
It's very cutting edge. Monte just watched how France beat Team USA's band of all-stars with a two big lineup and decided that's the wave of the future.

Last edited:
I think it will either be Harrell opts in or the trade will switch to KCP. Either way, the Lakers can't trade the 22nd pick until after the pick is made anyways, so we have a few days to figure out the exact players.

It's either going to be Kuzma/Harrell/22 or Kuzma/KCP/22.

Last edited:
I mean, the idea is that if Harrell wants to play for the Kings under the terms of his player option, he would exercise the option early in order to facilitate the trade. The Massey tweet earlier suggests Harrell is indeed willing to play in Sacramento. We've had several point out here that it's ultimately Harrell's decision, but if reports that he's amenable are true, then it's not a hold-up at all.
Oh man, this could be another Bogdan sign and trade situation couldn't it? ha ha. Exactly, why would this be complicated?

You're assuming the decisions aren't impacted by the man of a million phones already. ;) And we know how much he loves front court Dino's. Moose and Drummond part 2!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Good, what you do is send a message that he'll get a nice pay raise with the MLE and can join his pal Rico this summer while the Kings don't give a direct competitor a complete team around LeBron FREAKING James.
It might hurt for a season or two but by the time the Kings are hopefully relevant again, Lebron's probably going to have retired and AD's knees might have fallen off.