Shams: Lakers discuss Kuzma for Buddy deal

I honestly don’t hate that trade. I would want a pick or a couple 2nds thrown in but I am ready to say goodbye to Buddy. Kuz would also allow us to transition away from Bagley and simply take BPA in draft ( which I assume we would have done regardless, but it shores up our wing depth more )

Getting off the Buddy contract would be huge if it were for anything other than a salary dump at this point. I’m not a huge fan of kuzma, but he has a favorable contract and fits the roster a little better especially if we end up drafting a wing. The only way we keep Buddy “happy” is if we are playing a three guard lineup a significant amount of time. I just don’t think Buddy or Tyrese can defend the 3/wing position good enough most nights.

I don't see the necessity to trade him to the 7akers. He shoots a high percentage from 3, stays healthy, and has made a legendary number of 3s so far in his career. It's not exactly difficult to find a trading partner.
If that was entirely true, why is he still here? I don't want to get rid of him just to get rid of him but if it improves the team? I despise the Lakers but the Kings don't even qualify as an after thought for them in the Kings current state, nor should they.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Kuzma and 22 works for me as it balances the roster and allows us to draft another wing or big to replace Holmes who will most likely be gone. I don’t like Kuzma all that much but our defense improves

Absolutely no interest in helping the Lakers, or taking Kuzma, without a first rounder attached.
I hate the Lakers, but they have a one or two year window with lebron and we aren’t likely competing with them during that time. If we we help the Lakers but improve our team, I’m ok with that. Of course people can debate if Kuzma helps our team. I think it would be a net positive.

I have no interest in Kuzma who's a RFA. He's probably looking for a big contract and he's kinda "meh" all around. I'd be okay with their 22nd overall pick and getting a 3rd team involved to take Kuzma while giving us an additional asset.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
From a cap standpoint it would have to be Buddy for Kuz and KCP. Maybe we’d throw JJ in there. I doubt any picks trade place.
Yes, and Kuzma and KCP are owed $57M guaranteed between them - only a few million less than Buddy. It's not even a salary dump!

So...why would we do that without picks coming back?

I have no interest in Kuzma who's a RFA. He's probably looking for a big contract and he's kinda "meh" all around. I'd be okay with their 22nd overall pick and getting a 3rd team involved to take Kuzma while giving us an additional asset.
I don’t know if it effects your interest but he signed a 3 year $40 mil extension in December

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Salaries don't match for this to be straight up as others have pointed out, don't want KCP. Wonder if they included Harrel and he opted out of his deal, S&T THT, or some kind of pick deals - not sure how many picks they have committed to NO so obviously they'd have to pick for us and then complete the trade on draft day.

I think it's an interesting trade, Kuzma has definitely been hampered by the Lakers system and ADs arrival. But I hate the idea of Buddy helping the Lakers to anything. Also its a very "Luke Walton" move. I guess if they won 50 games I wouldn't be sad about Luke still being our coach, but assuming another 30-35 win season and Luke getting fired not the best to move players with the coach in mind.