Say goodbye to Ben?

Do we convert Williams to a regular NBA contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Glad someone brough this up. If you watch him closely he's not letting the game come to him, it's like he's mad about not getting a bigger opportunity to showcase, so he's gonna be greedy when he's in... He is pulling the trigger on contested 3's, he's not even close to that kind of shooter.. He did it in the last game, his feet weren't even set right/underneath him and a defender was closing in fast.
I don't think he's mad or greedy. I think he's more incredibly anxious to prove he can be an asset to the big Kings. I believe he just needs more time to learn how to be a TEAM player, something that only comes when a team is winning. I have hopes for him - but then again, to be honest, I had hopes for Jimmer too. :p

Williams has been a solid player. He has absolute tunnel vision if you give him the ball in the open floor and 9/10 makes a head scratching play but he plays hard and is a good defender.

That's true, but there has to be some sort of pressure on him. This is likely his last shot at the NBA level so he's trying to bust out any time he's got daylight. I think he's done a decent job. The Kings have to be the league leader in getting NBA fringe players back on the radar.

That's true, but there has to be some sort of pressure on him. This is likely his last shot at the NBA level so he's trying to bust out any time he's got daylight. I think he's done a decent job. The Kings have to be the league leader in getting NBA fringe players back on the radar.
That's something to be #SacramentoProud of! Yes, I am sarcastic by nature, no offense to you.

Not a fan of Williams—the next time he passes will be the first. Seems to be irritating to play with.
Yea. Was happy he got pulled after that play. It's his MO. Dude tries to be a bigger Westbrook without the same set of skills. That play was a 4 point swing. With Williams in the game, you can pretty much guarantee that he's going to the hole in the open court. Same with a Buddy TO when he's over dribbling on the perimeter.

Knowing your limitations is the first step in finding a spot in the league. An athletic wing defender who can spot shoot is a hot commodity in the NBA. That's all Williams needs to do to stick in the league. Play defense, run the floor hard, hit an open shot at a decent clip.

Been awhile since I've defended Ben, but here goes.

1. Calling him a nice guy doesn't soften the blow for a call to the end of his career.
2. Average NBA career is 4 or 5 years. He's surpassed that. Doesn't matter if he's a starter or the 15th guy, he's legit enough to stick around longer than average. Longer than Douby and Jimmer, Thomas Robinson and so on.
3. He was drafted into an impossible situation for a guy who needed development time. He wasn't a draft mistake. Kings took him where he was projected in that draft. However, this franchise was dysfunctional, had weak coaching and players that were not easy to play with.
4. We may all like William's hustle, but he ain't the answer. And Ben isn't the problem. Really doesn't matter which one of them sits at the end of the bench, or in a suit behind the bench. Williams plays out of control and Ben is passive. They'll both hit a 3 here and there and maybe get an athletic dunk during their run. But neither are difference makers. Pick your poison.

Ben is a trade piece now to be packaged with something to find a difference maker. Send Williams to Stockton.
Ben got plenty of developmental time and he never developed. He's just not a good enough at basketball to succeed in the NBA. There are countless players who got drafted into bad situations and turned out just fine.

Williams is a much better player than BMac. It's not even close right now. Williams is average and BMac is very much below average. I agree that Williams is not the answer at SF but he plays solid defense, shoots the 3 ball nicely and actually uses his athleticism to his benefit. BMac has elite athleticism but has almost never used it outside of catching a lob here or there. Williams had a few out of control moments during the Pacer game and people are all the sudden stamping him with that label while ignoring the other 20 or so games he's played pretty solidly in.

Ben got plenty of developmental time and he never developed. He's just not a good enough at basketball to succeed in the NBA. There are countless players who got drafted into bad situations and turned out just fine.

Williams is a much better player than BMac. It's not even close right now. Williams is average and BMac is very much below average. I agree that Williams is not the answer at SF but he plays solid defense, shoots the 3 ball nicely and actually uses his athleticism to his benefit. BMac has elite athleticism but has almost never used it outside of catching a lob here or there. Williams had a few out of control moments during the Pacer game and people are all the sudden stamping him with that label while ignoring the other 20 or so games he's played pretty solidly in.
Williams is a pretty important part of our 2nd unit and has been playing like a solid rotational player in his time up here. Yeah, it'd be nice to get something from the Ben expiring, but to me it'd be really silly to bench a guy who's playing like a solid 8th-9th man and has been valuable in his minutes to wait for a trade that may never happen.

Williams is a "timeline" guy too, so it's not like we're giving minutes to a 29 year old journeyman SF who's just starting to play well this season.

The players that thrive on a dysfunctional team are the selfish players. They are gonna get theirs no matter what. But a players situation always matters.

Williams is an energy guy, but not a skilled player. Extremely aggressive, which works sometimes, but not against the better teams. Yes, he's been out of control most games he's played in. I don't think he's horrible, but he's being overvalued a bit. Will he get better? Probably. How much? Who knows. But keeping him in Stockton doesn't hurt us or him. We don't need to make any roster moves specifically to accommodate Williams.