Say goodbye to Ben?

Do we convert Williams to a regular NBA contract?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would send Williams back down for a bit and try to figure out if you will need Ben’s or another vets contract for a trade.

Let teams like Washington know that if they don’t act now on a trade, they may loose the opportunity to shed more salary.

If nothing materializes soon, then you probably have to release Ben. But I would wait a few weeks first. Bring Wenyen up for a look, in the mean time.

Man... Troy Williams looked SO DEJECTED on the bench in that second half. There was one shot of the bench where he had the 1000-yard stare going. I think he was sitting next to Fox who didn't look happy either but Troy was like uh turning purple I thought. He looked out of it. Now it makes a bit more sense to me, he was stressing thinking about this too, wasnt just the L..

I think the Kings value McLemore contract more than Ben's on court . If I had to guess they won't cut Ben right away.

Unless im missing something Zach Randolph is completely useless to this team as well so it's pretty much a pick-em... But again the contract thing. If some team wants to unload a bad deal to us at the deadline along with their 1st rd pick players like Ben and Z-bo are good expiring filler.

I'd send him down and give Gabriel a shot..

Not a huge Ben or Williams fan but it’s clear Joeger likes Williams. It’s also clear Joeger and front office not on the same page. It will be interesting if the front office sends a message back to Joeger by sending Williams back down.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Man... Troy Williams looked SO DEJECTED on the bench in that second half. There was one shot of the bench where he had the 1000-yard stare going. I think he was sitting next to Fox who didn't look happy either but Troy was like uh turning purple I thought. He looked out of it. Now it makes a bit more sense to me, he was stressing thinking about this too, wasnt just the L..
Grant did say that Williams was obviously not happy when Joerger took him out of the game.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Normally, coach doesn't yank guys for an offensive snaffu, other than maybe if they are hogging the ball. Joerger wants guys who have grit and effort, and Williams provides that. JJ, on the other hand, constantly "watches" when there are loose balls instead of aggressively going after them. (WCS falls into that category also). What Williams needs is more skills training. He looks like he could be a solid three and D guy in this league if he develops a little more skill. For example, on the play that Williams screwed up, he just needs to learn to take an easy pull up 15 footer. He also needs more skill with his handle and assessing the floor. I hope the Kings don't give up on this guy prematurely. They need to sign him to a contract and work with him in the off-season to get better. I like the guy because of his athleticism, his potential to become a good defender, his ability to hit the open 3, and he really gets after it when he's on the floor. As Katie said in the post-game: "He gets into the scrum." The Kings need more players like that.

They like him but if they sign or trade for a small forward who knows what happens. I think they send him down till after the trade deadline. He gives us the effort and can hit a outside shot but needs to play way more under control.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No to signing Williams just yet. Hang on to those expirings. You never know, there might be a team looking to make room for two or three mega deals this summer.

Williams plays hard and is athletic. He needs to play a little more under control.
Ben needs to find a new league to play in, probably one that does not speak English.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Hang onto him until the trade deadline and if he isn't gone by then I'm sure he'll be cut loose to get a youngster in here.

Mclemore is worthless right now. Not people wise, but contract wise. He's a great guy, but he's never really been NBA material, even when he was shooting 40% from 3pt. He's too passive and always disappears.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not a huge Ben or Williams fan but it’s clear Joeger likes Williams. It’s also clear Joeger and front office not on the same page. It will be interesting if the front office sends a message back to Joeger by sending Williams back down.
Really? I - and a lot of other long-time fans - don't see it that way at all. If the front office sends Williams back to the Stockton Kings for a while, it doesn't mean they're sending a message to Joerger. It means they're not ready to part with Ben or Z-Bo's contracts. We have Williams on a 2-way for the entire year. We do not have to do a thing right now.

Been awhile since I've defended Ben, but here goes.

1. Calling him a nice guy doesn't soften the blow for a call to the end of his career.
2. Average NBA career is 4 or 5 years. He's surpassed that. Doesn't matter if he's a starter or the 15th guy, he's legit enough to stick around longer than average. Longer than Douby and Jimmer, Thomas Robinson and so on.
3. He was drafted into an impossible situation for a guy who needed development time. He wasn't a draft mistake. Kings took him where he was projected in that draft. However, this franchise was dysfunctional, had weak coaching and players that were not easy to play with.
4. We may all like William's hustle, but he ain't the answer. And Ben isn't the problem. Really doesn't matter which one of them sits at the end of the bench, or in a suit behind the bench. Williams plays out of control and Ben is passive. They'll both hit a 3 here and there and maybe get an athletic dunk during their run. But neither are difference makers. Pick your poison.

Ben is a trade piece now to be packaged with something to find a difference maker. Send Williams to Stockton.

Not a fan of Williams—the next time he passes will be the first. Seems to be irritating to play with.
Glad someone brough this up. If you watch him closely he's not letting the game come to him, it's like he's mad about not getting a bigger opportunity to showcase, so he's gonna be greedy when he's in... He is pulling the trigger on contested 3's, he's not even close to that kind of shooter.. He did it in the last game, his feet weren't even set right/underneath him and a defender was closing in fast.