Sasha Watch 2022-2023

I think the Kings split the Room Exception between Shasha and Trey Lyle. I think they need to resign Trey Lyles.
Lyles is really important to this team--who else has that kind of grit and toughness? Sometimes he makes key plays through sheer effort. And sometimes through a sweet shooting stroke. It would be interesting to see the two guys playing together, with such different, but complementary, styles of play.

Lyles can wait. If the Kings keep him in the loop and miss out on a big FA acquisition they can pivot back to him but I would seriously doubt they aren't already counting that cap hold as cap space right now.
Fine in principle, but based on the amount we spend on the "big FA acquisition", we may be limited in what we can offer Lyles.

He might not want to wait around while we chase bigger names, and might settle for an offer from some other team (not the Lakers hopefully). Bottom line, if we are sure we want to bring him back, we need to plan our FA targets accordingly. Else, risk losing him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Fine in principle, but based on the amount we spend on the "big FA acquisition", we may be limited in what we can offer Lyles.

He might not want to wait around while we chase bigger names, and might settle for an offer from some other team (not the Lakers hopefully). Bottom line, if we are sure we want to bring him back, we need to plan our FA targets accordingly. Else, risk losing him.
He’s a Klutch client. He’ll wait

Yeah, that seems right. Perfect money and length for him to come try the NBA.
Works well, and this was probably part of the conversation when they went over. They probably had this penciled in 6-12 months ago - all hinged on the Rachaun trade. Get that done, and we can still have a massive offseason in free agents/trades, while also bringing over Sasha.

We have 36 million in space, and we ostensibly already have the top player in Europe joining the team.

If you don't have us as a top contender coming out of the west you are simply not paying attention - ahem - national media - ahem.

I think GMs are realizing that for whatever reason - windows are shorter now. The time for us to strike is now. We have about a three year window opening up here before another re-tooling will be needed. There is zero reason not to empty the magazine.

Hmm. Wait for what?

If I understand correctly, once we have spent our cap (assuming all room exception goes to Sasha), we can only offer the vet minimum to Trey.

Is this not the case? If so, he shouldn't wait, nor should we ask/expect him to.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if we keep the cap hold on Trey then we can go over the cap to resign him with our Bird Rights. And his cap hold is tiny. I think it is less than $2M. So we can renounce him and have like $36M in cap space, or hold him (and have the ability to go over the cap to sign him) and have like $34M.

You can renounce cap holds at any time, so I am guessing we will hold his cap hold (and Barnes too) until we have another player lined up, or they (Barnes and Lyles) find another team.

So ideally, you use roughly $34M on free agents (1-2 good free agents, and perhaps a small portion toward the Domas extension), then you sign Sasha to the room exception, and then use your Bird Rights to resign Trey once you hit the cap, provided you didn’t waive his hold.

Last edited:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if we keep the cap hold on Trey then we can go over the cap to resign him with our Bird Rights. And his cap hold is tiny. I think it is less than $2M. So we can renounce him and have like $36M in cap space, or hold him (and have the ability to go over the cap to sign him) and have like $34M.

You can renounce cap holds at any time, so I am guessing we will hold his cap hold (and Barnes too) until we have another player lined up, or they (Barnes and Lyles) find another team.

So ideally, you use roughly $34M on free agents (1-2 good free agents, and perhaps a small portion toward the Domas extension), then you sign Sasha to the room exception, and then use your Bird Rights to resign Trey once you hit the cap, provided you didn’t waive his hold.
I think this is correct, and likely the smart move. Don't know how much the cap hold is, but as you suggested, likely not too much.

Agree that it will be smart to keep his cap hold. Hadn't thought of that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Lyles' cap hold is apparently $3.4M, so we could clear closer to $32M in cap space. Still, I had totally forgotten that his cap hold is way lower than the salary that we can offer him (that's kind of unusual), and that's a big card up our sleeve in the FA market.

I don't have tax calculators and currency converters handy but he'll be making 2-3x annually in the NBA before taxes what he nets in Europe, so take out taxes and convert I am pretty sure there's no way he doesn't come out ahead, plus at the end of a 2 year NBA deal he either gets more money in Europe or a real NBA second pay day.

Prefer he were on a 3rd year team option but whatever.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
With the re-signing of Barnes, who presumably will still be a starter along with Keegan, is the idea for Sasha (if signed) to be a super sub off the bench with Monk? We know the starting 5 was very good statistically, but the bench needed some shoring up. Is this intended to be a signing for more scoring punch off the bench?

With the re-signing of Barnes, who presumably will still be a starter along with Keegan, is the idea for Sasha (if signed) to be a super sub off the bench with Monk? We know the starting 5 was very good statistically, but the bench needed some shoring up. Is this intended to be a signing for more scoring punch off the bench?
Yes - I think he comes in when Fox and Barnes take a seat at the 6 minute mark.