Sasha or Lyles

Sasha or Kevin Lyles

• Total voters
Too many what if's and we have to see the playoffs but right now Sasha. Lyles has been playing great post all star and solid all year but is he enough? And do not forget contract years do matter. We find all that out in the playoffs. And I do think there could be a possibility of both being in the picture, imagine if Monte could put out a package of something around Keegan, Davion, and picks around draft night or FA and get a legit 3rd all star? Then bringing back Lyles, Barnes, and Sasha over while also having the MLE to spend? That's how you not only possibly build a contender but one that won't fade like the last few Western conference runner ups. Lyles has his hot streaks from behind the line and he's currently on one for sure but Sasha has wing level shooting ability.
Keegan should be our legit 3rd star as this team grows and matures. Altho there could always be that better deal out there

Need to have both
With or without Barnes? If it's a short deal and nothing else is happening to push the team forward in terms of mega talent trade wise bringing back Lyles doesn't hurt anything I guess. It also certainly puts him immediately in the position TD was in this season if Barnes is back, Sasha comes over, Keegan is still a full time starter, and Lyles isn't going to play much C. Barnes (or any other starting F), Sasha, and Keegan leaves very little opportunity for Lyles to play much F unless Sasha is a bust.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Sasha will be better than Lyles. Plenty of great Euro players have come over and fizzled out quick in the NBA. With Lyles, you have a handful of years of NBA experience where you know he's more than likely going to be average or slightly above average. We have no idea if Sasha is an average NBA player.

With or without Barnes? If it's a short deal and nothing else is happening to push the team forward in terms of mega talent trade wise bringing back Lyles doesn't hurt anything I guess. It also certainly puts him immediately in the position TD was in this season if Barnes is back, Sasha comes over, Keegan is still a full time starter, and Lyles isn't going to play much C. Barnes (or any other starting F), Sasha, and Keegan leaves very little opportunity for Lyles to play much F unless Sasha is a bust.
I think my vote is both Sasha and Lyles and give them a more prominent role with no Barnes. Lyles has frankly earned that with his play. And he's basically been HB offensively without HB's random FTA spike games and much better defensively and on the glass.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Sasha will be better than Lyles. Plenty of great Euro players have come over and fizzled out quick in the NBA. With Lyles, you have a handful of years of NBA experience where you know he's more than likely going to be average or slightly above average. We have no idea if Sasha is an average NBA player.
On the other hand, it's kind of hard to imagine Lyles going over to Europe and becoming MVP over there.

On the other hand, it's kind of hard to imagine Lyles going over to Europe and becoming MVP over there.
This is true but we've got to worry about how he's going to perform over here. I think TD would be a much better player in Europe than Herb Jones would, but Herb Jones is a better NBA player than TD.

It's kind like a UFC welterweight who is a great striker, but might lack wrestling and grappling. If the welterweight division is full of strikers, he might clean house and become champion. But if he decides to move up to middleweight where the division is full of wrestlers, he might not look so hot anymore.

I think my vote is both Sasha and Lyles and give them a more prominent role with no Barnes. Lyles has frankly earned that with his play. And he's basically been HB offensively without HB's random FTA spike games and much better defensively and on the glass.
That might be the best course depending on what Barnes wants, or if the Kings can upgrade his spot with defense or scoring, but as is the Kings get a little slower and less iso able even if Barnes doesn't look to score enough. Unless Sasha proves he can do some of the things Barnes can, and he might be able to, you're taking a step back if you're still capped out anyway. I don't think Barnes' free throws are quite that random but he does need a stick shoved in his back at times for sure. In the playoffs Brown eventually had to resort to really going to him and he did indeed, get to the line. It wasn't enough but we've seen Brown enough to know he's going to look to someone he can rely on game to game. Brown has to have someone he can call on like that and right now there doesn't appear to be a player able to step up like that. Keegan might be able to, but my goodness, they're betting on a player that hovered around completely non-existent in terms of the ability to get to the line for most of the season and playoffs.

But that's kind of the thing. We already know that Lyles is average. Is it better to have a solid 10-15 mpg player, or one that could be more? This team isn't falling apart with or without Lyles but if Sasha's game translates? Huge boost.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
In my mind, Lyles is a no-brainer unless another team offers him crazy money, but the choice is likely to be Sasha or Barnes, t that Sasha will cost as much money but he is likely to want to start. It would be disingenuous to negotiate with both of them an not be upfront about what role they would be expected to play.

In my mind, Lyles is a no-brainer unless another team offers him crazy money, but the choice is likely to be Sasha or Barnes, t that Sasha will cost as much money but he is likely to want to start. It would be disingenuous to negotiate with both of them an not be upfront about what role they would be expected to play.
This and the conundrum that comes with it. How do you make an offer and ask HB to come off the bench before Sasha commits? How do you make an offer to Sasha without knowing what roll HB will play?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Average Lyles is better than bad “ insert name” guy. Lyles occasionally flashes and is usually solid. I think he’s rather important to the bench and as a matchup piece. I think we need him. I think we need to replace HB with someone who won’t disappear in the playoffs because that is what seems to happen with him…..and I think HB is solid. But if his contract is around 20-25 mill a year, he needs to be a difference maker in the playoffs.

I think Sasha would excel here offensively playing with Domas.

We need an infusion of younger, quicker wings with length…..if we can get that, I think HB is expendable