SAR Officially a King!!!

just announced on sacbee.com... there will be an 3:45pm press conference to introduce SAR!!!!

WELCOME TO THE KINGDOM SAR!!!

Last edited:
Kings reach deal with Adbur-Rahim
Bee Sports Staff
Published 3:25 pm PDT Friday, August 12, 2005

The Sacramento Kings have called a 3:45 p.m. news conference to announce the signing of forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

The Kings were one of three teams in the running to obtain the coveted power forward, and The Bee reported in its Friday editions that the Kings were the front-runner.

Abdur-Rahim earlier appeared headed for New Jersey in a trade with Portland. But New Jersey nixed the deal when Abdur-Rahim failed to pass their physical due to scar tissue in his right knee. He says it's the result of a surgery from his high school days and has not affected his play in the NBA.

Terms of the contract were unavailable, but Abdur-Rahim is a marquee name. With his addition, the Kings starting lineup could be Mike Bibby, Bonzi Wells, Peja Stojakovic, Abdur-Rahim and Brad Miller. It would be, on paper at least, one of the more imposing lineups in the Pacific Division.

Be sure to read more in Saturday's Sacramento Bee.

Link (Registration required)

WOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Tappity Tap! VF come on girl, you need to give this a chance. We can boost the bench with a one or two trades and you can be happy because we might be the 2nd or 3rd best in the Pacific, or 4th best in the country. Last year we were 6th or 7th at best.

with SAR, the kings will be one of the deepest teams in the nba... 2 deep at every position (if martin or garcia can play)...

PF SAR / THOMAS
SF PEJA / CORLISS
C MILLER / SKINNER / SAMPSON
SG WELLS / MARTIN / GARCIA
PG BIBBY / HART / PRICE

Well, SAR's gonna be real good for us, glad to see the deal done! I like his versatility, and am not too worried about his defense, nor do I know much about that area of his play.

Now, time to focus on the bench: SF, PF, C, PF/C! Possibly SG. And the location of where Evans/Songaila/Martin/Thomas/Corliss/Skinner will be.

Hopefully three or four of the players in my sig will be Kings. :)

Last edited:
Kings113 said:
Well, SAR's gonna be real good for us, glad to see the deal done

Now, time to focus on the bench: SF, PF, C, PF/C! Possibly SG. And the location of where Evans/Songaila/Martin/Thomas/Corliss/Skinner will be.

Hopefully three or four of the players in my sig will be Kings. :)
Anyone hear ESPN radio this morning, interview with George Maloof saying that the Kings are "90% close to signing SAR AND A ROLE PLAYER". That ROLE PLAYER might be the key to our defensive bench woes. Wonder who that is.

kingsofnba: with SAR, the kings will be one of the deepest teams in the nba... 2 deep at every position (if martin or garcia can play)...

PF SAR / THOMAS
SF PEJA / CORLISS
C MILLER / SKINNER / SAMPSON
SG WELLS / MARTIN / GARCIA
PG BIBBY / HART / PRICE

Is the "14 Player Roster" this year or next ???

I sure hope the King's keep Darius.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
PFFFT!! said:
Anyone hear ESPN radio this morning, interview with George Maloof saying that the Kings are "90% close to signing SAR AND A ROLE PLAYER". That ROLE PLAYER might be the key to our defensive bench woes. Wonder who that is.
Greg Buckner?

But good job on SAR, and to get someone like him for the MLE (Im assuming, so if Im incorrect, ignore the rest of this sentance) is pretty nice! We could have been like Golden State and ended up with an Adonnal Foyle type player for that!

We have 12 players with SAR under contract. I believe we can have 13? So figure a S&T with Darius and or someone else. If we sign Darius it will either be him or KT as backup. I would probably take KT, but considering his contract is too hefty I would unload him for a couple of expiring contracts, probably two long tall dudes with dirty work on their minds.

i know that there are other threads on shareef comming here, but i hope the mods don't close this one. this indeed deserves a thread of it's own. know, who can we get for shareef/peja and corliss.

PFFFT!! said:
We have 12 players with SAR under contract. I believe we can have 13? So figure a S&T with Darius and or someone else. If we sign Darius it will either be him or KT as backup. I would probably take KT, but considering his contract is too hefty I would unload him for a couple of expiring contracts, probably two long tall dudes with dirty work on their minds.
I thought the new CBA increased the number of active roster players to 14 or 15???

PFFFT!! said:
Wow, nice, I'd love it if it were Buckner as someone mentioned... he can shoot the three well too. I don't care if it'd take time away from Martin (who could be involved in a trade anyways), not that I don't like him, I'd just definitely rather have Buckner or one of the other swingmen in my sig. to back-up Bonzi, and would bring more. Who wouldn't rather? I mean unless none were attainable/affordable, but that isn't the case at all.

Last edited:
SAR is like the Rodney Dangerfield of this free agent class. The stage is set for people to be scratching their heads in January and wondering how Geoff got this 20-10 guy for the MLE (I know he's not historically a 20-10 guy, but with the players around him he could likely improve on his historical numbers - if defenses key on Peja).

Someone else posted this but it was a good point... compare:

Bibby, Mobley, Peja, Thomas, Miller
Bibby, Wells, Peja, SAR, Miller

It's pretty obvious to me that the Kings improved themselves. It is easy to have unrealistic expectations on Geoff.. but I give him a solid "B" if this is all he does.... if he can upgrade further (only thing I can think of is to ship off Peja for a big and slide SAR to SF), then he gets an "A".

I really like the way our bench shapes up too! Skinner, Thomas, Williamson, and some hungry young guards... nice.

I feel a lot better about the Kings now than I did at the end of last season! I really thought they were in danger of dropping out of the picture all together.. now they could get a top 4 seed.

Collective Bargaining Agreement

KEY POINTS

The following are the key points agreed to by the NBA and the Players Association in their new 6-year collective bargaining agreement:

<LI>Players will be guaranteed to receive 57 percent of league revenues (BRI), the same percentage paid to players the last two seasons. (This is the first time the league has ever agreed to guarantee the players an agreed-upon percentage of revenues.)

<LI>The Salary Cap will increase from 48 percent of BRI to 51 percent of BRI. All Cap exceptions will remain unchanged, including the Mid-Level Exception ($4.9 million per team this past season).

<LI>The amount of money that can be withheld from player salaries under the “escrow” system will be reduced from 10 percent of salaries in year 1 of the new deal to 9 percent in years 2 through 5 and 8 percent in year 6. The 57 percent escrow level will increase with revenue growth.

<LI>The effect of the existing luxury tax on teams will be reduced and there will be no additional taxes. The tax level will be set at 61percent of league revenues (the same level as in the 2001-02 – 2003-04 seasons). Tax treatment for injured players and minimum salary players will be liberalized.

<LI>The maximum length of a player contract will be reduced by 1 year, from 7 years for a team’s own players and 6 years for other players to 6 years and 5 years.

<LI>The league will guarantee that, on average, all teams will have 14-player rosters.

<LI>The maximum annual increases in multi-year player contracts will be reduced from 12.5 percent for a team’s own players and 10 percent for other players to 10.5 percent and 8 percent.

<LI>Players will be subject to 4 random drug tests per season and penalties for use of performance-enhancing drugs will be increased.

<LI>The age limit for entering the draft will increase from 18 to 19 (plus one year removed from high school).

<LI>Players will have the right to an arbitrator’s review of Commissioner suspensions for on-court misconduct of more than 12 games (currently, no arbitrator review is permitted regardless of the length of the suspension).

<LI>Players in their first two seasons in the league may be placed on teams in the NBA Development League for skills development.

There will be an increase in the minimum salary and benefits. Pension benefits will be increased subject to IRS approval.
Here's the link: http://www.nba.com/news/cba_050621.html

Solid pickup- adds alot of depth up front for us, Skinner and Thomas coming off the bench will be a deadly combo, looks like the Kings are starting to get the bench back.

Man I am so happy, I never thought that we would pick up any big name free agents because we are over the cap, but man we just aquired the best free agent PF!!! I can't wait until Oct 11 to see him in that Kings uni.

I wouldn't call the Kings elite yet, but it sure is nice to get a real free-agent acquisition and another real talent on the roster.

Then if its 14 players and we have 12 signed, we have 2 open slots. I would resign Darius and see about a trade involving either Darius and KT for a solid backup PF with expiring contract that would be our 6th man. Right now I don't see that six man that BJ was. That position would be awsome for a Center/PF.