Sam Cassell fails to report to camp

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/10/05/cassell.ap/index.html
COLLEGEVILLE, Minn. (AP) -- Sam Cassell was a no-show on the first day of training camp Tuesday, sending a message to the Minnesota Timberwolves that he was displeased about not getting a contract extension.

"He's not totally unhappy; he just feels it's time for him to look out for his interests," said Charles Tucker, Cassell's agent.

Tucker said he spoke to Cassell on Tuesday afternoon, and that his client was in Minneapolis. The agent said he hoped to meet with Cassell on Tuesday evening, but he didn't know when Cassell would report to camp. Cassell also missed the team's media day on Monday.

"Does he want to be there? Yes," Tucker said.

After the T'wolves' evening practice, vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale said he also spoke with Cassell. McHale said he was hopeful that Cassell would report on Wednesday, but wouldn't guarantee it.

"Until they show up, I'm not banking on nothing," McHale said.

Cassell's contract calls for him to be paid $5.65 million this season and $6.1 million next season.

Tucker said Cassell, 34, wants to make sure that he's part of Minnesota's long-term plans.

Cassell had career bests in scoring (19.8 points per game) and shooting (48.8 percent) during the regular season and made his first All-Star team in his first season with Minnesota, his 10th in the league.

The trio of Cassell, league MVP Kevin Garnett and Latrell Sprewell led the T'wolves out of the first round of the playoffs for the first time in team history. Minnesota lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference finals, a series that Cassell barely played in because of torn cartilage in his hip.

He had successful surgery in June to repair the cartilage.

Without Cassell, the T'wolves are thin at point guard because backup Troy Hudson is still recovering from ankle surgery that kept him out most of last season and all of the playoffs.

But coach Flip Saunders said he wasn't worried.

"No distraction at all," Saunders said. "The guys that aren't on the floor, I don't worry about. We'll just go as is."

Garnett, who became close friends with Cassell and Sprewell last season, didn't seem overly concerned.

"We as players support him," Garnett said, adding that he stayed in contact with Cassell this offseason and knew about his contract concerns.

"If we were in the dark, I think guys would be a lot more [wary] of where he's at or what's going on," Garnett said. "But again, the lines of communications are totally open between him and his teammates. We're just right here waiting on him to get here."

McHale said Cassell should have been at camp at St. John's University, and he will be fined for each day he misses. "Sam's under contract, we expect him to be here," he said.

When asked what he thought was the best way to resolve the situation, he said, "You have to ask Sam that."

Seems like we are not the only one with the problems. Sam has 2 more years on the contract and still he wants an extension right away. Seems like something fishy.

Although Cassell missed the Wolves' first training camp practice Tuesday morning, Tucker said it was "unfair to call (Cassell's absence) a holdout."
Yes, a hold out would be so unprofessional...let's call it something more innocuous.........ok, I give up... what do we call it? An 'unavoidable abscence'? a 'family emergency' a 'hissy fit because I'm old and I know this is my last chance to get mo' money'?

Kingsgurl said:
Yes, a hold out would be so unprofessional...let's call it something more innocuous.........ok, I give up... what do we call it? An 'unavoidable abscence'? a 'family emergency' a 'hissy fit because I'm old and I know this is my last chance to get mo' money'?
It's a pre-holdout. A lot like shaking hands w/ someone just before you deck them in the face!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Sam Cassel has been a grumpy money-grubbing *** everyplace he's been. He's one of those guys who's NEVER happy -- he's pulled the same "I'm unhappy with my contract" bit a number of times before. Since I sincerely doubt the Wolves are going to extend a 35yr old PG with injury problems, think he's just going to have to live with it.

Ok. Another reason why the T-Wolves should NOT be ranked ahead of the Kings in any of these preseason "power rankings" we've been seeing lately. Who the heck is their point guard now? Hudson is still recovering from injury! How does that factor in?

Still cannot stand 'Sam I am'!! He is still a little punk, so can I say it just once.......

He should try out for Extreme Makeover.. I know, I am so mean, so I'm sorry. :D

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
PejaFanatic said:
Still cannot stand 'Sam I am'!!
I hate him more than Green Egs and Ham!
I would not like him with 3 rings
I would not like him with the Kings
I'd hate him more in Laker Yellow
I do not like that ugly fellow

I would not like him in a box
I would not like him against Rick Fox
I wish he would just quit the game
Sam I Am is an awfull name!

This is hilarious!

HndsmCelt said:

More on the story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3064874

Cassell reports to T-Wolves' afternoon practice
Associated Press
Posted: 4 days ago

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Sam Cassell practiced jump shots at the end of practice Wednesday, looking right at home among his Minnesota Timberwolves teammates.

But Cassell was a day late for training came at St. John's University and the 34-year-old guard skipped the team's media day and first day of workouts earlier this week because he was unhappy about not getting a contract extension.

Charles Tucker, Cassell's agent, wouldn't comment when asked if the Wolves did anything to address Cassell's unhappiness, other than to say Cassell "has a better understanding" of the team's plans for him in the future. Cassell said talks were moving in the right direction.

Cassell's contract calls for him to be paid $5.65 million this season and $6.1 million next season.

Cassell said that's not fair market value for a point guard of his caliber. He blames the problem on a former agent he worked with when he played for the New Jersey Nets, and said the issue continues to plague him and accounts for his frequent trades.

"I won't be satisfied until I get what I deserve," he said. "It's going good; that's why I'm in camp. ... My number is so low, it won't be something they've got to think about."

Under the collective bargaining agreement, the Wolves could fine Cassell $2,500 for each of the two practices he missed Tuesday, and $5,000 for each missed practice after that.

Meanwhile, teammate Latrell Sprewell is also hoping to work out an extension before the regular season begins.

"If I have to leave, I will," said Sprewell, who has one year remaining on his contract. "That's the bottom line. ... It's a great opportunity to try and win a ring, but I have to do what's best for me financially."

Vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale wouldn't comment on Cassell's situation, except to say he's glad he's in camp. But he said working out a deal with Sprewell before opening day seemed reasonable.

"We want Spree here," McHale said. "He's a tremendous part of this team - his talent, personality, energy. We'd like to get something done."

The trio of Cassell, league MVP Kevin Garnett and Sprewell led the Wolves out of the first round of the playoffs for the first time in team history. Minnesota lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference finals, a series that Cassell barely played in because of torn cartilage in his hip.

"What we did last year speaks for itself," Cassell said. "Did they get out of the first round? Did they bring me and Spree in here to get out of the first round? I'm the leader of the pack. Kevin Garnett is the ticket, but I call the plays."

Cassell said he has recovered from the hip surgery he had in June, and that the injury will not factor into contract discussions.

"We missed him out here," Sprewell said. "He's the same; he looks 100 percent."

Modesty and teamwork at its finest. ;)

He isn't going to get anything more than what he is getting right now. And after a couple of years they not even want to give him what he is making right now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
tbear03 said:
More on the story:

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3064874

Cassell reports to T-Wolves' afternoon practice
Associated Press
Posted: 4 days ago

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Sam Cassell practiced jump shots at the end of practice Wednesday, looking right at home among his Minnesota Timberwolves teammates.

But Cassell was a day late for training came at St. John's University and the 34-year-old guard skipped the team's media day and first day of workouts earlier this week because he was unhappy about not getting a contract extension.

Charles Tucker, Cassell's agent, wouldn't comment when asked if the Wolves did anything to address Cassell's unhappiness, other than to say Cassell "has a better understanding" of the team's plans for him in the future. Cassell said talks were moving in the right direction.

Cassell said that's not fair market value for a point guard of his caliber. He blames the problem on a former agent he worked with when he played for the New Jersey Nets, and said the issue continues to plague him and accounts for his frequent trades.

"I won't be satisfied until I get what I deserve," he said. "It's going good; that's why I'm in camp. ... My number is so low, it won't be something they've got to think about."

Under the collective bargaining agreement, the Wolves could fine Cassell $2,500 for each of the two practices he missed Tuesday, and $5,000 for each missed practice after that.

Meanwhile, teammate Latrell Sprewell is also hoping to work out an extension before the regular season begins.

"If I have to leave, I will," said Sprewell, who has one year remaining on his contract. "That's the bottom line. ... It's a great opportunity to try and win a ring, but I have to do what's best for me financially."

Vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale wouldn't comment on Cassell's situation, except to say he's glad he's in camp. But he said working out a deal with Sprewell before opening day seemed reasonable.

"We want Spree here," McHale said. "He's a tremendous part of this team - his talent, personality, energy. We'd like to get something done."

The trio of Cassell, league MVP Kevin Garnett and Sprewell led the Wolves out of the first round of the playoffs for the first time in team history. Minnesota lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the Western Conference finals, a series that Cassell barely played in because of torn cartilage in his hip.

"What we did last year speaks for itself," Cassell said. "Did they get out of the first round? Did they bring me and Spree in here to get out of the first round? I'm the leader of the pack. Kevin Garnett is the ticket, but I call the plays."

Cassell said he has recovered from the hip surgery he had in June, and that the injury will not factor into contract discussions.

"We missed him out here," Sprewell said. "He's the same; he looks 100 percent."

Modesty and teamwork at its finest. ;)
Sometimes I think as kingsfans we forget just how spoiled we've been. :rolleyes:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
HndsmCelt said:

Great, absolutely great!

:D

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
KA_2 said:
What a dope. The whole reason Cassell had the best season of his career was because of KG.
Are you kidding? KG finally got the MVP only with the help of Cassell. Just ask Cassell. :p

To quote VF21: "Shut up and play". No one is gonna give Cassell big bucks for the PG position at his age. Sheesh. The best thing he can expect to get is one more year added on to his current deal at like 7million if he is lucky. Even the best PGs don't even play as well as he did last year at 35. The skills are declining, his body's resistance to injury is waning and he aren't getting any younger. For Minnesota to pay him big now means less money to work towards the future after Cassell and Spree are gone.

KA_2 said:
What a dope. The whole reason Cassell had the best season of his career was because of KG.
I am not in favor of Cassell saying that he was the leader. But I would definitely say that he had a great season and was one of the most important reasons why they made it to the WC Finals. And it was evident from the failure against the Lakers, how much the team depended on him.

Not to say that he deserves the money that he is demanding.

Last edited:
Do we even know how much of a raise he is demanding? I haven't heard any numbers, but I haven't been following the situation that closely.

And, Sam shouldn't try to engender sympathy for hiring a crappy agent a few years ago when he is making $6 million per year. If he were BJax, well...

he's a 36 year old guard coming off a serious injury... if i was him i'd be glad he was still playing. he had a great season, but it was in part thanks to KG and Spree that he was able to get in that lane. he needs to shut up and try to win a 'ship before his window closes.

C Diddy said:
To quote VF21: "Shut up and play". No one is gonna give Cassell big bucks for the PG position at his age. Sheesh. The best thing he can expect to get is one more year added on to his current deal at like 7million if he is lucky. Even the best PGs don't even play as well as he did last year at 35. The skills are declining, his body's resistance to injury is waning and he aren't getting any younger. For Minnesota to pay him big now means less money to work towards the future after Cassell and Spree are gone.
The future for the Wolves is now. They can smell it, they can taste it. They should go after it by taking care of Sam first. It might be a 2-3 year deal, but they have to find a way to make him happy if they are going to have a chance this year.