Sacramento State Hornets (Football)

SLAB

Hall of Famer
One of their guys is a graduate of the school I work at. Cameron Skattebo, Rio Linda High School. Helped us win all of state a few years back. Kid is good at football.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Don't understand why they're not in the top 3 right now and they've also lost ground I believe they were #4 a few weeks ago?

Anyhow, this is pretty cool either way. I can't recall CSUS ever being good at football before last year.

Don't understand why they're not in the top 3 right now and they've also lost ground I believe they were #4 a few weeks ago?

Anyhow, this is pretty cool either way. I can't recall CSUS ever being good at football before last year.
Yeah...They had a few seasons when, coming into them, they were expected to be good, but it never panned out. You can most definitely consider this to be "unchartered territory" for CSUS football, though...:):):)

When I got home from the Kings game, I watched the ending of this game. Hornets coming from behind, catching Montana completely off-guard with the onside kick at the 5 minute or so mark was the key.
I was at the game and the crowd erupted after that play and stayed energized the rest of the game. Prior to that, I think the fans were in shock the team was playing poorly.

But it was a great moment for the program on national tv.

Another win in front of the home crowd!!! It wasn't pretty, but I will take an ugly win if it means an 8-0 record any day of the week!!!

Next two are going to be on the road, and it would be mighty nice to come back home with a 10-0 record heading into the "Causeway Classic" against the Aggies :):):)

Sac state beat the local team here in Iowa back in September. They stayed in the hotel right next to my restaurant. I had no idea that they played Midwest teams. I don’t follow that level of college sports much and assumed it was more regional.

Man, I'm kinda bummed that, at 11-0, Sacramento State finishes as the 2nd ranked program in the FCS (They should be number 1. Yes, the "local" bias might be well in play at this moment in time).

BUT, I am super stoked that they are amongst the top FCS schools in the nation. Never thought I'd be able to say that, so that in itself is worth smiling for. The road to the championship is gonna be super tough, but this might as well be our best chance yet, and maybe ever, to ride the ship all the way to the top, and bring home the big boy.

STINGERS UP!!!

At the end of the day, however, I can't say that I am NOT proud of what the team accomplished this year. Just making it to the FCS playoffs was an accomplishment in itself. Just being ranked in the top 25 throughout the season was an accomplishment in itself. To me, the top 10/top 5 rankings, collectively, was just the icing on the cake.

Disappointed by the way the season ended? Absolutely.
Not proud of the team because of how the season ended? No chance in H-E-Double Hockey Sticks.

I am very hopeful that this year's success is only the beginning, and that we will see Hornet football be a household name when it comes to FCS rankings for many years to come.

If I remember correctly Sac State was needing another D1 women's sport in order to move to FBS. Since the Pac-12 is losing some teams I would take advantage of this and renew talks of Sac State moving to FBS. The college is about middle of the road (for FBS teams) for the # of students it has so a move to FBS might be in the cards if they wanted to look into it again (last time they looked was 2010).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If I remember correctly Sac State was needing another D1 women's sport in order to move to FBS. Since the Pac-12 is losing some teams I would take advantage of this and renew talks of Sac State moving to FBS. The college is about middle of the road (for FBS teams) for the # of students it has so a move to FBS might be in the cards if they wanted to look into it again (last time they looked was 2010).
Not to throw cold water on Sac State fans, but unless the UC Regents manage to block UCLA's move to the Big Ten, the Pac...10 is on life support as a major conference. They would legitimately need an infusion of a Gonzaga (looking like they may be going Big-12) and something like a San Diego State just to keep the bigger remaining names from jumping to a conglomerate coast-to-coast conference as soon as they can negotiate it - and even that might not work. Adding Sac State would probably be the admission of defeat, with Oregon, Arizona, Washington and probably the mountain schools jumping ship soon thereafter (if not before) and culminate in some sort of realignment with some of the Big West/MWC schools into a couple of mid-major conferences. Maybe in 10 or 20 years with the right program Sac State might be ready to play with the big boys, but that day is not today.

Skattebo has entered the transfer portal. I hear Stanford has a pretty good new coach.
Man, I am hoping that his success at Sac State translates over to THE Farm. I'll be honest with you, as a fan of both schools (ALWAYS have supported Stanford sports, ever since I was a young kid growing up watching sports on TV), I am a bit torn by Troy Taylor's move to Stanford. I was thoroughly enjoying what he was building over at Sacramento State, and really wanted him to see it through for at least another year or two (to see if he can take them over the hump, and to the very top of the FCS).

But then, as a Stanford fan, I am glad they went with a guy who made some serious noise at a school that I attended for a second (I do consider myself a former Hornet, although I wouldn't go as far as to declare myself as an "Alum". I never graduated from the school and, unfortunately, had to drop out after a few years...).

Not to throw cold water on Sac State fans, but unless the UC Regents manage to block UCLA's move to the Big Ten, the Pac...10 is on life support as a major conference. They would legitimately need an infusion of a Gonzaga (looking like they may be going Big-12) and something like a San Diego State just to keep the bigger remaining names from jumping to a conglomerate coast-to-coast conference as soon as they can negotiate it - and even that might not work. Adding Sac State would probably be the admission of defeat, with Oregon, Arizona, Washington and probably the mountain schools jumping ship soon thereafter (if not before) and culminate in some sort of realignment with some of the Big West/MWC schools into a couple of mid-major conferences. Maybe in 10 or 20 years with the right program Sac State might be ready to play with the big boys, but that day is not today.
Yeah, I agree with this. Not quite ready to play with the big boys. The program needs to mature a little bit, I think, before we can talk about CSUS seriously becoming a D-1 school. Until then, I'd much rather stay in the Big Sky.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Skattebo has entered the transfer portal. I hear Stanford has a pretty good new coach.

It’s not Stanford, but still very exciting. Dude was playing at Rio Linda when I started working there, so seeing him get a chance at a big name is awesome. Also ASU is my sisters alma-mater, so there’s a tiny bit of rooting interest if I pay attention.

Last edited: