SacBee: Little movement in Kings arena talks

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
A month after former Gov. Pete Wilson was hired to negotiate with the NBA for a new Kings arena at Cal Expo, formal talks have yet to take place and no timeline for discussions have been set.

More...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So basically this story is to say there's no story...

The Bee seems to be going overboard with this kind of thing. I get the "breaking news" bulletins from them and am AMAZED by what they consider "breaking news." More and more it seems like newspapers are forgetting about what their strengths are and insisting instead on trying to find a way to become something else.

I like sitting down and reading my newspaper, even if it is just the Bee. I expect to see good reporting, in-depth analysis of issues facing our area, and the lighter stuff that makes me smile. Unfortunately, I'm not getting that.

What I'm seeing more and more is a dumbing down of newspapers to try and find a niche in today's instant information age. There's way too much gravy and nowhere near enough meat, IMHO.

I suppose there are people wondering if anything's going on. I adnmit I wondered, and the comments on the process make good sense to me. I loved the last comment about lawyers.

I figure when something happens they'll report it. Generally, I do agree that "news" seems to be more and more about speculation, opinion and generally making up stories about what might be happening "behind the scenes," instead of about reporting verifiable facts.

If somebody wants to engage in theorizing and speculation, it should be easy for readers to identify it as imagination, not fact. Maybe they should have a section labeled, "Stuff we made up, just to have something to write about that's more fun than the facts available to us." Or "Opinions from five different writers regarding a scenario we dreamed up last night, that could potentially be true in a parallel universe somewhere."

The problem is that many people see what's written (or spoken) and take it for the truth, because they missed the fact that it's all conjecture. It ends up getting spread around to people as fact. Too often, it hurts people who are forever branded with the damaging false information.