Sac Bee: Matt Barnes really wants to come and play for the Kings

Coming home to be a King is Barnes' goal

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Thursday, September 23, 2004

Matt Barnes likely can make more money playing basketball overseas, and he probably could have received guaranteed money from the Milwaukee Bucks or maybe even the San Antonio Spurs.

However, Barnes didn't grow up overseas or in Milwaukee or San Antonio. He's a homeboy and always wanted to play for the Kings.

So the 6-foot-7 forward from Del Campo High School accepted an invitation from the Kings to join them at next month's training camp and will try to fulfill a childhood dream.

Barnes, one of 19 players who will be in the Kings' camp, believes he has a good chance to make the team.

"Besides the fact that (their style) is my style of play as far as the way they move the ball, it's always been a dream of mine to be able to come home and play with the Kings," Barnes, 24, said Wednesday. "When that opportunity arose, I jumped on it."

His agent, New York-based Bill Neff, said Barnes had his mind made up.

"He definitely had some opportunities to play for probably more makeable teams," Neff said, "but Matt really wants to play here. And he believes beyond making the team, he can play and contribute, given the chance he hopes he'll receive.

"I couldn't sway him, even though other guys have guaranteed money. He thinks the Kings are going to be really good, and I think the upside for him here is greater than it might have been in other places."

Barnes finished last season with the Los Angeles Clippers after playing in the American Basketball Association in 2003-2004 and the National Basketball Development League the previous season.

His NBA experience began in the 2002 draft, when the Memphis Grizzlies selected him 46th overall and then traded him to Cleveland. He was waived by the Cavaliers and then went to Fayetteville, N.C., to play in the NBDL.

Barnes attended the Seattle SuperSonics' 2003 training camp but said things didn't go well for him there before being waived.

"I didn't get a chance to play in the preseason," Barnes said of his tryout with the Sonics. "I hurt my shoulder, separated it really, a couple of things happened, and it didn't work."

Barnes spent most of this summer working out at Basketball Town with Kings guard Bobby Jackson and local hoops mogul Guss Armstead.

Jackson said he has seen a change in Barnes over the years since the forward came back to Sacramento following his four-year career at UCLA.

"Matt's improved every year," said Jackson, who is moving naturally and showing no effects from the abdominal strain that sidelined him for all but one game for the final four months of last season.

"The first time I got with him, I thought Matt was really lazy. ... But he's older and more mature now and realizes what's at stake, and he's dug down and really has been working hard."

Said Barnes: This is the hardest I've ever worked. I've been up (at Basketball Town) with Bobby the whole summer, I've been working out with (Kings strength and conditioning coach) Al Biancani, and I really feel I'm ready to gear it up and make this team."

Jackson said Barnes can bring qualities the Kings desperately need.

"He does the rebounding and hustling our team is going to need," said Jackson, who contributes in those areas. "We're not looking for a guy to shoot all the balls. We're looking for guys to do the little things. We've got guys who can score.

"And that's what I've told him. Play 'D,' rebound and do the hustle plays. If he has the open shot, shoot it. He has to understand the offense isn't going to run through him. ... It's not going to run through me, either. We've got to know our role and come play hard."

Denver Nuggets point guard Andre Miller, who has family in the Sacramento area and always spends time here during the summer, said he has been following Barnes since his Del Campo days.

"He's going to hustle and rebound, and he's going to make you work," Miller said. "He guards people and can play a few positions, and hopefully, he's going to get that chance. He's a guy everybody wants on their team." In about a month, we'll see if the Kings do.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/10842374p-11760149c.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Know little about him. Thought he was a pure SF?

Seems like that last spot is more likely to go to someone who can at least play a little PF. Either a 4/5 or maybe a 4/3 in the mold of a Scott Padgett or somebody so that Adelman has options when faced with a perimeter shootin big man.

NBAGURU said:
hmm... I wouldn't mind having a Sacramento product on the Kings, but........ I think we should go after a PF/C
Does anyone remember David Cooke, the Sacto Christian Brothers H.S. graduate who played a few games for the Kings in their first Sacto season? He was an undersized PF who just couldn't make the adjustment to SF and was quickly out of the league.

And the Kings had Sac-Kennedy H.S. Ernest Lee in camp one year. Lee was a peer of Kevin Johnson's; many people thought he was better than KJ in high school, and he got a full ride to U of Washington. Unfortunately, he smoked a bit too much pot. He ended up at Clark University in Atlanta, and led the entire nation in scoring one year. The Kings invited him to camp but decided he wasn't a keeper. Later, Lee jumped off the Tower Bridge and drowned in the Sacramento River.

All that being said, I wish Matt Barnes luck. He had a handful of decent games for the Clippers last year, including a late-season double-double against the Warriors. But, as other posters have noted, he's not exactly what the Kings need.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Mar Barnes is a long way from exciting, but if he is working that hard AND can pull down board He might be a nice #12. The kings have quality back up at the 5, 1-2 and if you count Songolia (I do) at the 4. So a single sloter with experience who can give us good paly in short min at the 3 is not a bad call. Essentialy I would like to someone on the the roster who can make things realy ugly for oponets when Peja sits. As for his size I think Ben Wallace has firmly established that it is the size of a players game that counts most.

I went to Jesuit HS (graduated in 99) and I remember watching matt barnes play. He was pretty good- good enough to play for UCLA. He also played football in highschool, he was a receiver, natually. While at UCLA he played with Memphis' Earl Watson. Since hes a local kid I wish him the best of luck.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Regards training camp roster, Bee this morning said that the Kings have invited 19 to training camp so look for that list in the next couple of days, I guess once every one confirms. So we have 11 under contract. I'll start a thread of the 8 adders and see what Kingsfans come up with.

If Barnes is good then he might compete with BLUTHENTHAL for the backup for Peja. But I don't think that he would be really very useful at PF and definitely not at C. Ben Wallace has proved that he is a good center, but at 6'7" its going to be really difficult.

I went to DC with Matt. He was a good player then, but I see what Bobby said about his work ethic. I never remembered that guy working for anything . He is pretty athletically talented so it always came naturally to him.

Hopefully he changed and is working hard. He could be a nice 12th spot if he realizes that he not going to be a star and he needs to just bring the hustle.

I watched Barnes in several Clippers games last season and he was an all-out hustle player on defense and went to the boards. He looked very good early on with the Clips and had some good games. His shooting is spotty. He's a 'tweener at 6-7, but has good hops. He'd be a good bench player for the Kings if a position opens up.

JoMama said:
I watched Barnes in several Clippers games last season and he was an all-out hustle player on defense and went to the boards. He looked very good early on with the Clips and had some good games. His shooting is spotty. He's a 'tweener at 6-7, but has good hops. He'd be a good bench player for the Kings if a position opens up.
I like Matt Barnes. I have to admit, he did not impress me much while he was at UCLA. I have a habit of following Sacramento Prep players (Onterrio Smith, Donte StallworthDeMarcus Nelson, etc....). But I do remember him playing against the Kings while he was with the Clippers on MLK day. And I thought he had improved quite a bit.

I am not of the opinion that the Kings need a 4/5 in the final roster spot. THE KINGS NEED A HUSTLE GUY, THAT PLAYS DEFENSE. They need an experienced basketball player.

PG - Bibby, Jackson, Minard
SG - Christie, Martin
SF - Stojakovic, Bluthenthal
PF - Webber, Songaila
C - Miller, Oostertaag

Players in bold are rookies or second year players

Looking at this, I am in the opinion that the Kings need an experienced swingman that can back up Christie and Peja, just in case Martin and Bluthenthal have growing pains (i.e. GERALD WALLACE). Potential available candidates include:

Ryan Bowen
Marcus Fizer
Lucious Harris
Rodney White
Bryon Russell
DeMar Johnson

Not very impressive. I think Matt Barnes can compete for the 12th man job. Other players who had that position on the last six Kings teams include:
1999 Terry Dehere
99-00 Tyrone Corbin, Ryan Robertson, Bill Wennington
00-01 Jabari Smith, Derick Martin, Art Long
01-02 Mateen Cleaves, Chucky Brown
02-03 Damon Jones (This was the best Kings team if D. Jones was 12th)
03-04 Jabari Smith, Tony Massenburg, Rodney Buford

The Kings also have center Adam Parada at camp. I watched every game this kid played at UCI, and although I don't think he has an NBA game YET, he could definitely be molded into exactly what the Kings are missing at the backup PF/C position. I'm definitely pulling for my fellow Anteater. zot zot zot!