Rudy T

ESPN is reporting that Rudy T will step down as Lakers head coach tonight....

Not sure why......just passing along

Thanks for that news.

Sad to see Rudy T leave because of health problems. :( Hope his health isn't too bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1981564

Updated: Feb. 1, 2005, 4:17 PM

Coach bothered by Health, team's play

ESPN.com news services

Rudy Tomjanovich will step down as coach of the Los Angeles Lakers after tonight's game against the Portland Trail Blazers, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

His health, although not a relapse of bladder cancer, and dissatisfaction with the way the Lakers are playing contributed to the decision, sources told Bucher.

Tomjanovich missed Sunday's game because of a stomach virus, and did not attend practice on Monday.

Assistant coach Frank Hamblen will become the interim coach.

The Lakers hired Tomjanovich on July 10, replacing Phil Jackson. They are 23-19, in seventh place in the Western Conference.

Tomjanovich, who guided the Houston Rockets to back-to-back NBA titles in 1994 and 1995, was in the first year of a five-year contract worth a reported $30 million. He left the Rockets after 12 season in May 2003 after being diagnosed with bladder cancer.

"It's just excitement, nothing but excitement," Tomjanovich said this fall about his return. "It's a positive. I've been like a young school boy since this has happened. At times I haven't gotten to sleep, but it's not anxiety. It's excitement."

After losing to the Detroit Pistons in the NBA Finals, the Lakers ended their successful partnership with Jackson and traded Shaquille O'Neal to the Miami Heat.

Hamblen has been a coach on five championship teams, three with the Lakers and two under Jackson with the Chicago Bulls.

Information from The Associated Press and SportsTicker was used in this report.

i just heard about this...

i feel so bad...im very scared for him....but i hope everything will be okay...get well Rudy

thats so sad

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Twix said:
His health, although not a relapse of bladder cancer, and dissatisfaction with the way the Lakers are playing contributed to the decision, sources told Bucher...
Or could it be the front office isn't satisfied with Rudy T, and talked him into stepping down?

I know a lot of Laker fans have been calling for his head since the beginning.

VF21 said:
Or could it be the front office isn't satisfied with Rudy T, and talked him into stepping down?

I know a lot of Laker fans have been calling for his head since the beginning.
This was my gut feeling. I know people love blaming Kobe but I haven't read or seen 1 single rift between them. Also hard to imagine him being upset over the teams play considering Vlade out, no Karl, Kobe hurt now, George out, Grant was out, NBDL backup pg, total new team. I'm honestly stunned why unless its Buss giving him a graceful exit.

Freakout said:
This was my gut feeling. I know people love blaming Kobe but I haven't read or seen 1 single rift between them. Also hard to imagine him being upset over the teams play considering Vlade out, no Karl, Kobe hurt now, George out, Grant was out, NBDL backup pg, total new team. I'm honestly stunned why unless its Buss giving him a graceful exit.
I agree. I've heard nothing but reports of total cooperation between Kobe and Rudy T. I even heard something about a suggestion of running a little bit of triangle offense shortly before Kobe got hurt. The team has been playing a lot better than most people expected since Kobe went down, so I don't think it's frustration with the way the team is playing. I don't think anyone expected them to be several games above .500 anyways.

Dr. Buss is probably pushing him out.

Gargamel said:
Let me point out that this is a BSPN article. If your health is bad enough to necessitate a resignation, would you stick around if you were thrilled with the team's play?...
So there is nothing in Laker-land to verify this?

If it is health, I hope he gets well quick. You never want a player/ coach to quit because of sickness, even if it he is on the Lakers.

VF21 said:
I wouldn't be surprised if that is what actually happened. Smells of the Lenny Wilkens situation with the Knicks to me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the abysmal play of the team, combined with the failure of Rudy T to elicit magic from the Lakers not named Kobe, could have been a contributing factor to those health issues.

No one can deny that bringing Rudy T hasn't accomplished anywhere near what people thought it might.

My PERSONAL belief is that Dr. Buss didn't want to openly fire him, so they came up with this face-saving announcement instead.

Am I right? I don't know. Do I really care? Hmmmm. Let me think...

Nope.

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It was bladder cancer and the release from ESPN specified the health issues weren't related to that...

I don't think there's a problem with one of our members asking if there's anything official coming out of Laker land.

Frequently cancer survivors are encouraged to lead a rather stress free life. Obviously, coaching an NBA team is VERY stressfull. So, health wise it's a good move.

That's not a contending roster! So, good luck to the next coach or Kobe's cannon fodder.

Gargamel said:
Verify what? That he's sick? He didn't coach their last game because of a stomach flu. I doubt that had anything to do with his resig. Iirc, he took a year off from cancer a couple years back (it's sorry that I don't remember this for sure). His health was asked about before his hiring, I do know that.
I guess verify was the wrong word. I thought you meant that Rudy T resigning was BS from BSPN.

I wish Rudy T. well because he's such a good guy, regardless of who he is affiliated with.

But can anyone fathom the remote possibility of Phil Jackson enteraining the idea of going back to the Lakers? My goodness. That would be more intriguing than last year when the team melted down. But my gut feeling is that if the Timberwolves don't make it anywhere in the playoffs (if at all), Flip Saunders will be fired and leave an opening that Phil Jackson will be more than willing to fill. And I can also see Flip going to the Lakers. Again, good luck to Rudy T.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one can deny that bringing Rudy T hasn't accomplished anywhere near what people thought it might.
I'm not sure what expectations you are thinking about. Not only was Rudy the third or fourth choice for the Laker's head coaching vacancy (Coach K, Riles) but this roster was proclaimed by many to be a lottery team.

Considering the roster changes, the new offense, and now Kobe's injury I think the Lakers have treaded water pretty well. I still see them as the sixth or seventh seed in the West, which is what I expected before the season began.

I still hate the Lakers, but I have a hard time believing that anyone outside of delusional LA fans saw this team setting the world on fire this season.

really? not a good new for Lakers,

two years ago, Rudy left Rockets, then they missed playoff
Now this year, if he left Lakers, I'm afraid the same thing could happen

really curious about who'll come out and take HC place...?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
funkykingston said:
I'm not sure what expectations you are thinking about. Not only was Rudy the third or fourth choice for the Laker's head coaching vacancy (Coach K, Riles) but this roster was proclaimed by many to be a lottery team.

Considering the roster changes, the new offense, and now Kobe's injury I think the Lakers have treaded water pretty well. I still see them as the sixth or seventh seed in the West, which is what I expected before the season began.

I still hate the Lakers, but I have a hard time believing that anyone outside of delusional LA fans saw this team setting the world on fire this season.
I didn't say anything about the Lakers setting the world on fire this season.

The Laker fans are the ones who had the high hopes AND Rudy T hasn't delivered. Check the Laker fan boards. You'll see any number of threads calling for Rudy's head because he didn't do the impossible.

Rudy T is the "in between." Just like when you first break up with someone you really cared about and find someone to fill the gap "in between" to get you out of the sorrow and back into a good relationship, Rudy T wasn't going to fill the big gaping hole created by PJ's departure. Yet just like with a relationship, a LOT of people were convinced he could do the impossible and that the Lakers would be able to be competitive against all odds.

Rudy T, IMHO, was doomed from the start. He'll be known as the "in between." The coach who had to hold the reins after PJ and before the next big Laker coach.

Just my three cents, of course, but it's based on reading a lot of stuff from Laker fans who just aren't very happy with Rudy.

I wonder if Rudy was suffering from "Lakerssuckoritis" or a nasty case of Kobesity? (Thank you, I'll be here all week... :) )

Rudy is a good guy and coach, but I can't believe anyone with a drop of sanity would believe that the Lakers were anything BUT an on the fridge playoff team. It seemed as if Mihm was developing nicely early on, but I've seen nothing worth notice out of him at all. What they need is a offensive disciplinarian who can set up a system that makes Odom a significant part of the offense. This freelancing stuff isn't working. And I agree with some comments that I've read: Odom would be great in the triangle. He's such a flexible player that it's hard to see his talents going to waste on the team. Theoretically, Jackson would be just about perfect for them-- theory being that Phil didn't despise Kobe.

Dave McNulla said:
i heard they want jackson. i couldn't see any player wanting to play for that dude after the book he wrote.
It would be odd. Of course, I read this morning that Kupchak, Buss AND KOBE met to discuss this......:confused:

Phil would coach a team that wasn't about to win a title anyway? Not going to happen. He only coaches teams already primed by prior coaches and GMs, not ones that need to actually develop.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
LOL, the Jackson story is wishfull thinking on the part of Laker fans who know their Goose is cooked, but will not accept that the reason is Kobe. Phill will NEVER coach Kobe again period. Read his book.

Next roumer please..........

The Lakers organization isn't used to "average" basketball. A lot of people don't realize that the Lakers have been title contenders for the past 8 years. It's hard to go back to struggling just to stay a few games over .500. Dr. Buss is a good owner, and he's going to do what it takes in order to get his team back in the mix, but he needs to be patient and realize that he doesn't have the talented yet savvy team he had in past years.

Tomjanovich wasn't the Lakers first choice, though, so it wouldn't be surprising to me if he is being forced out. His margin for error was very slim, and he's a bit too laid back - lame duck, if you will - for LA. It's not really his team, is what it seems like. They need a coach who will take control and make his imprint on the franchise, someone who will be more demanding of his players, challenge them and hold them accountable. Rudy T. doesn't fit that description.

I don't know what direction the Lakers are looking to go in, but nothing would surprise me at this point. Hell, I wonder what Magic Johnson is doing.

On a serious note, though, the Lakers need to get a GM who can make some decisions on his own. Mitch hasn't done too bad filling the Laker roster, and landing Jumaine Jones has really helped them out, but that trade was a no-brainer. I'm pretty sure his days are numbered as well if he can't work some magic pretty soon.