Rudy Gay

Gay is on the trading block. Hes a player ive wanted the Kings to go after for the past couple of years. I love Tyreke, but if it takes a Tyreke trade to bring in Gay, do it!!!!!

I dont have much faith in Petrie though :(

any way to get em without giving up reke or cuz? we could have a nice big 3 with reke gay and cuz.

another idea i was thinking was granger. then try to get calderon some how. Calderon/Reke/Granger/Cuz/JT would be fun to watch

any way to get em without giving up reke or cuz? we could have a nice big 3 with reke gay and cuz.

another idea i was thinking was granger. then try to get calderon some how. Calderon/Reke/Granger/Cuz/JT would be fun to watch
Unless MEM just wants a salary dump, i think it's going to be hard to land Gay without giving up Evans or Cousins. Now Granger, with the emergence of George, on the otherhand could possibly be had without giving up either of the those 2.

It would probably take Jt+Thornton and maybe someone else or a pick. Is that worth it?

No on granger, yes on Calderon.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Its that somehow that will get you everytime....

Unless MEM just wants a salary dump, i think it's going to be hard to land Gay without giving up Evans or Cousins. Now Granger, with the emergence of George, on the otherhand could possibly be had without giving up either of the those 2.
I really think MEM is eager to get out from under that contract (especially this new leadership team) and add some wing/frontcourt depth. An expiring or two would be nice too. I'd hang up if they asked for anything named Cousins or a pick.

Remember, Gay is owed approx. 16m this year, 17.5 next year and 19 million the year after. That's right, NINETEEN million dollars. Nic Batum, two years younger with better stats and more upside, is making 11.5 this year and 10.5 next. I would not give them anything significant for that albatross, except one of our own. My deal would be as follows: Hayes, Thornton, and Garcia for Gay, Haddadi, and Selby. The Grizz need more capable frontcourt depth, which we can actually sacrifice thanks to the improved play of JJ and Robinson's need for minutes. Garcia is a very necessary expiring they can use straight away, and MT is a wing player they can plug and play right off. Truth be told, I am agnostic in the MT vs. Reke debate at this stage. Whatever. For me, one's signed and one's not, and that's the bottom line.

If we are able to get Rudy Gay, fine, but I wouldn't mortgage anything but cap flexibility to do it. Deng, Batum, Ilyasova, Pierce, Durant, Kirilenko, Gallinari, and Gerald Wallace--all players I would prefer to Rudy Gay--make less money. And one more time in case you missed it just now, Kevin Durant makes less money than Rudy Gay. Chew on that for a while.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Gay makes $16+mil this year, $18mil next, and $19mil the next. He's shooting 41% from the field. He's not exactly known for passing. Now Hollinger just joined that front office and will probably be trying to assistant GM or whatever without ever actually leaving his computer to see the actual human beings involved, so maybe we could take advantage fo that and ship them an advanced stat hero:

Gay for Jimmer, staright up :p

Seriously though, they'd probably want Reke, for talent and marketing -- nd the irony that a top team would want Reke to pair with a massive frontcourt while our dimwitted outfit traded him because they couldn't see how it could work would be extreme. So I'd tell them to get bent. I like Reke at whatever his $$ is more than Gay at max.

But, BUT...if they are just hurting financially and trying to unpiun themselves from the cap as the big penalties under the new NBA kick in...maybe they just want to find a cheaper third scorer? If so you might be able to get a deal out of it. You could float somehting like this:

Incoming Players
Rudy Gay
26 year old , 6-8, 230 lb F from Connecticut
18.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.6 apg in 36.5 minutes

Outgoing Players
Marcus Thornton
25 year old , 6-4, 205 lb G from LSU
13.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.9 minutes in 2012-2013
Francisco Garcia
31 year old , 6-7, 195 lb G-F from Louisville
6.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.2 minutes in 2012-2013
Travis Outlaw
28 year old , 6-9, 207 lb F from Starkville High School (Mississippi)
4.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.4 minutes in 2012-2013

Which works financially. The difficulty there, as I've mentioend before, is that Cisco's ending contract could be critical to retaining Reke in the offseason. So as soon as you start throwing that contract into deals you might end up inadvertently throwing in Reke as well. Suffice it to say Rudy Gay ain't worth all that.

Gay makes $16+mil this year, $18mil next, and $19mil the next. He's shooting 41% from the field. He's not exactly known for passing. Now Hollinger just joined that front office and will probably be trying to assistant GM or whatever without ever actually leaving his computer to see the actual human beings involved, so maybe we could take advantage fo that and ship them an advanced stat hero:

Gay for Jimmer, staright up :p

Seriously though, they'd probably want Reke, for talent and marketing -- nd the irony that a top team would want Reke to pair with a massive frontcourt while our dimwitted outfit traded him because they couldn't see how it could work would be extreme. So I'd tell them to get bent. I like Reke at whatever his $$ is more than Gay at max.

But, BUT...if they are just hurting financially and trying to unpiun themselves from the cap as the big penalties under the new NBA kick in...maybe they just want to find a cheaper third scorer? If so you might be able to get a deal out of it. You could float somehting like this:

Incoming Players
Rudy Gay
26 year old , 6-8, 230 lb F from Connecticut
18.0 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 2.6 apg in 36.5 minutes

Outgoing Players
Marcus Thornton
25 year old , 6-4, 205 lb G from LSU
13.3 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.3 apg in 26.9 minutes in 2012-2013
Francisco Garcia
31 year old , 6-7, 195 lb G-F from Louisville
6.2 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.2 minutes in 2012-2013
Travis Outlaw
28 year old , 6-9, 207 lb F from Starkville High School (Mississippi)
4.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.4 minutes in 2012-2013

Which works financially. The difficulty there, as I've mentioend before, is that Cisco's ending contract could be critical to retaining Reke in the offseason. So as soon as you start throwing that contract into deals you might end up inadvertently throwing in Reke as well. Suffice it to say Rudy Gay ain't worth all that.
Just to clarify - we can go over the cap to re-sign Reke and Cuz right? Only concern is Maloofs being cheapskates?

Just to clarify - we can go over the cap to re-sign Reke and Cuz right? Only concern is Maloofs being cheapskates?

Correct. If I recall, a team can go over their cap to re-sign players AND draft picks, but signings over the cap under other conditions merit a penalty. Thus, if we had owners that had more than .83cents of net worth to spend on the team, keeping 'Reke would not hinge on 'Cisco staying. But as it stands, that expiring money from Garcia and JJ is a necessity.

gunks

Hall of Famer
A Ball hogging volume shooter who has terrible a terrible FG% and doesnt really bring anything else to the table? Thats just the type of player who will turn this thing around! :rolleyes:

man you guys are really undervaluing Rudy Gay. i get the feeling those people have only seen him play a couple games
You're right. We're being way too harsh on a guy that makes almost 19 million dollars a year (more than Durant and almost as much as LeBron), seemingly has an attitude problem, and hasn't been an All-Star, erm, ever. Waiting for him to earn that salary here, surrounded by less talent, would be quite an experiment.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
man you guys are really undervaluing Rudy Gay. i get the feeling those people have only seen him play a couple games
Rudy Gay is pretty much playing as the fourth wheel for the Grizzlies behind Randolph, Gasol, and Conley. For that money, he should be the first wheel. If he is as amazingly awesome as some of you seem to think, his team wouldn't actively be trying to trade him.

Hollinger is a better basketball mind than everyone on this forum put together and probably the entire Kings FO put together. I would kill to have someone with his knowledge working in our scouting/player development office

Rudy comes with a hefty price tag and I'm thinking Memphis is regretting giving him max money. However, I would still try to trade for him because he is a legit SF.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hollinger is a better basketball mind than everyone on this forum put together and probably the entire Kings FO put together. I would kill to have someone with his knowledge working in our scouting/player development office
Uh huh.

I have always given him credit though for inventing the PER scam. Invent your own stat, give it an acronym, then push it at every turn. I wish I thought of that. The BRICK could have become the industry standard and they'd be paying me the big bucks. Alas.