Rudy Gay (poll added)

Would you be okay with Ridy opting in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why people want him to stay?!

This team is on an entirely different timetable than Rudy. Money should be spent on young veterans 23-24 years of age that can come in and contribute but also grow with the team and improve as individuals. In Temple, Tolliver, Kosta and one of the PGs, there is enough veteran experience there to set the standards of professionalism.
If Rudy establishes that he can play then a deadline trade serves Rudy and the Kings. To a contender of course.

Rudy is exactly what we don't want on our team. He is an ISO player, who plays questionable defense, gives inconsistent effort and doesn't make good decisions late in the game. Sure he is a gifted scorer and seems to be a charming, intelligent and well spoken young man, but his brand of basketball is a thing of the past and will only teach our young players habits we don't want them to pick up.
I take guys like Temple or Tolliver as role models for our young guys over Rudy all day every day.
Make no mistake - Rudy has every right to opt into his contract to give himself some more security, but I would prefer it, if he never plays for the Kings again and I would be shocked once again by our FO, if they offer him an extension.
Is Rudy a tradable asset if inked to a 3 year deal?

Is Rudy a tradable asset if inked to a 3 year deal?
That would depend on the specific deal. But Rudy isn't McLemore, where teams might be still be intrigued with his potential and who due to his early career problems might sign a cheap deal. He is a long term veteran coming from a horrific injury. Extending Rudy is a huge risk and I personally don't think Rudy is worth that risk.

That would depend on the specific deal. But Rudy isn't McLemore, where teams might be still be intrigued with his potential and who due to his early career problems might sign a cheap deal. He is a long term veteran coming from a horrific injury. Extending Rudy is a huge risk and I personally don't think Rudy is worth that risk.
How about after he proves he can still play at his previous level?

I really like Rudy. He seems like a really good guy. But I do find it hypocritical that some of the fans here that were so glad to be rid of Cousins and cited ISO and ball movement among the many reasons (despite the fact that Cousins was such a willing passer and among team leaders in assists) are so willing to retain a player that's proven to be worse on the team in those same areas.

Not only that, Rudy Gay has typically not been a good last possession player -- unlike Cousins. But I guess because he doesn't bark at the refs or have poor body language, it's ok. Forget the fact that Rudy's been around the NBA even longer than Cuz and Kings haven't been winning with him either and both the Grizzlies and Raptors immediately improved after his departure. But, sure, let's keep him.

I'm fine with differing opinions. But I do have a problem when someone isn't consistent with their opinion. If you believe Cuz was a problem because they often used him in ISO situations, how the hell can you be in favor of an ISO player that was far less efficient and far less willing to pass?? The Kings haven't been winning with him so time to move on, right?

I don't get it.

I really like Rudy. He seems like a really good guy. But I do find it hypocritical that some of the fans here that were so glad to be rid of Cousins and cited ISO and ball movement among the many reasons (despite the fact that Cousins was such a willing passer and among team leaders in assists) are so willing to retain a player that's proven to be worse on the team in those same areas.

Not only that, Rudy Gay has typically not been a good last possession player -- unlike Cousins. But I guess because he doesn't bark at the refs or have poor body language, it's ok. Forget the fact that Rudy's been around the NBA even longer than Cuz and Kings haven't been winning with him either and both the Grizzlies and Raptors immediately improved after his departure. But, sure, let's keep him.

I'm fine with differing opinions. But I do have a problem when someone isn't consistent with their opinion. If you believe Cuz was a problem because they often used him in ISO situations, how the hell can you be in favor of an ISO player that was far less efficient and far less willing to pass?? The Kings haven't been winning with him so time to move on, right?

I don't get it.
Does everything have to be tied to DMC with you or what?

I don't get it.
It's simple. For some fans supporting the DMC trade it never was about basketball with DMC, but only about what they think is his personality and character.
Some people just get upset by a guy using the f word in public or by a guy, who voices his displeasure with certain things in a rough and unpolished way.
Such behaviour just doesn't pass their moral compass and is perchieved as classless and upsetting.

How about after he proves he can still play at his previous level?
That's pretty optimistic. ;)
Let me ask a different question - how many teams currently in win now mode, could use Rudy and what would be his role on these teams?
Because his trade value is mainly determined by the leaguewide demand for a mid range heavy scoring SF, who isn't always up to the challenge on D and is already slightly past his athletic prime.

Let me ask a different question - how many teams currently in win now mode, could use Rudy and what would be his role on these teams?
Because his trade value is mainly determined by the leaguewide demand for a mid range heavy scoring SF, who isn't always up to the challenge on D and is already slightly past his athletic prime.
Every single contender would use him off the bench as a 6th man. As inefficient and ball-dominant as he is, he still as a very unique skill of being able to get his own shot, which most bench dudes can't do. ZBO is having a nice year doing so and basically dominating every possession off the bench for 20-25 minutes a game. And other than Houston with Lou Williams, I can't think of anyone else as talented at scoring than him.

The smart move for him would be to opt out, take a paycut (6-8mil 1/yr deal) and show he can transition to being a great bench scorer for a contender. That's far more likely to get him a good long-term deal than wasting away with us next year.

Every single contender would use him off the bench as a 6th man. As inefficient and ball-dominant as he is, he still as a very unique skill of being able to get his own shot, which most bench dudes can't do. ZBO is having a nice year doing so and basically dominating every possession off the bench for 20-25 minutes a game. And other than Houston with Lou Williams, I can't think of anyone else as talented at scoring than him.

The smart move for him would be to opt out, take a paycut (6-8mil 1/yr deal) and show he can transition to being a great bench scorer for a contender. That's far more likely to get him a good long-term deal than wasting away with us next year.
Actually I can agree with that. But if this is his future role in the league, the only way he would be a tradeable asset for the Kings even after an extension, is when his contract reflects his new role. Rudy on a starters or even borderline All-Star level contract is not a good trade asset.
So resigning him only makes a little bit of sense, when he takes a huge paycut and his medical reports indicate he can be at least a serviceable player after tearing his achilles. And even then the Kings only resign him to trade him to the highest bidder. The Kings just don't need Rudy going forward. We are years away from fighting for a Playoff spot again and want our younglings to play meaningful minutes, while carrying as much load as they can handle. Surrounding them with veterans like Temple, who can help to stabilize things but still give plenty of opportunity to the young guns to make their mark in the league sounds very reasonable. Surrounding them with a player like Rudy is unecessary and may hurt their development.

Rudy would fit in pretty well on the Clippers. They are fielding Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and the ghost of Paul Pierce at SF. Their 6th man Jamal Crawford is 50 years old. GSW would have taken Rudy over Matt Barnes if given a choice when KD went down. OKC is starting who at SF?

I think sometimes us Kings Fans forget how long the time span was between Peja and Rudy. I don't recall any memorable SF's in there except for Ron Ron and that was brief.

Rudy would fit in pretty well on the Clippers. They are fielding Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and the ghost of Paul Pierce at SF. Their 6th man Jamal Crawford is 50 years old. GSW would have taken Rudy over Matt Barnes if given a choice when KD went down. OKC is starting who at SF?

I think sometimes us Kings Fans forget how long the time span was between Peja and Rudy. I don't recall any memorable SF's in there except for Ron Ron and that was brief.
See my answer to The_Jamal.
I don't want to belittle Rudy Gay. He is a very very decent NBA player with lots of talent. But when the main cogs are in place teams often tend to value fit more than overall talent.

Rudy Gay playing alongside Westbrook? What's the purpose? OKC already has Kanter and Gibson as post up scoring options and other than that, they simply want guys able to play off Westbrook and able to space the floor. Oladipo is capable to handle the ball handling duties, when Westbrook needs a breather. Sub in Rudy for Robertson and you take away their best perimeter defender for another scorer. And Rudy would be asked to change his game quite a bit and to become more of a corner 3 guy. But why pay Rudy to stand in the corner and wait for a kickout? Would Rudy be an overall upgrade for OKC. Of course! But is paying Rudy, who doesn't really fit with Westbrook and their bigs their best option? I don't think so, especially when we keep in mind, that Kanter is signed until 2019 and given Kanter isn't a very good defender they might look for a SF, who really thrives on the defensive end, to make up a bit for their lack of defense from the 4 spot. Resigning Gibson also might be an option they are looking at, which might make Kanter available. But do you want to trade Rudy for Kanter, when we already have Willie, Skal, PapaG and KK? Because other than Kanter OKC really hasn't much to offer in a trade, that would make sense for the Kings.
We couldn't get the Rudy for Payne deal done. Now the ship has sailed. Resigning Rudy while hoping to trade him to OKC, doesn't sound like a reasonable strategy.

The Clippers definately are a different scenario. But we have to wait and see, how they want to go forward. I think this might actually be the season, where the Clippers decide to put an end to Doc Rivers and their big 3. They have tinkered around for years with their current core and still couldn't really get things done. Another dissapointing playoff run and things might fall apart in LA.

And I really disagree on the Warriors. I don't think the Warriors want Rudy.

It all comes down to how much money Rudy will command in the offseason. If he is healthy and willing to play for 6th man money a lot of teams will be interested. But ultimately Rudy only makes sense for teams, who want to win now, which pretty much excludes the Kings.
By the way - isn't resigning a player only for the purpose to use him as a trade asset a little bit cheap?;)

See my answer to The_Jamal.
I don't want to belittle Rudy Gay. He is a very very decent NBA player with lots of talent. But when the main cogs are in place teams often tend to value fit more than overall talent.

Rudy Gay playing alongside Westbrook? What's the purpose? OKC already has Kanter and Gibson as post up scoring options and other than that, they simply want guys able to play off Westbrook and able to space the floor. Oladipo is capable to handle the ball handling duties, when Westbrook needs a breather. Sub in Rudy for Robertson and you take away their best perimeter defender for another scorer. And Rudy would be asked to change his game quite a bit and to become more of a corner 3 guy. But why pay Rudy to stand in the corner and wait for a kickout? Would Rudy be an overall upgrade for OKC. Of course! But is paying Rudy, who doesn't really fit with Westbrook and their bigs their best option? I don't think so, especially when we keep in mind, that Kanter is signed until 2019 and given Kanter isn't a very good defender they might look for a SF, who really thrives on the defensive end, to make up a bit for their lack of defense from the 4 spot. Resigning Gibson also might be an option they are looking at, which might make Kanter available. But do you want to trade Rudy for Kanter, when we already have Willie, Skal, PapaG and KK? Because other than Kanter OKC really hasn't much to offer in a trade, that would make sense for the Kings.
We couldn't get the Rudy for Payne deal done. Now the ship has sailed. Resigning Rudy while hoping to trade him to OKC, doesn't sound like a reasonable strategy.

The Clippers definately are a different scenario. But we have to wait and see, how they want to go forward. I think this might actually be the season, where the Clippers decide to put an end to Doc Rivers and their big 3. They have tinkered around for years with their current core and still couldn't really get things done. Another dissapointing playoff run and things might fall apart in LA.

And I really disagree on the Warriors. I don't think the Warriors want Rudy.

It all comes down to how much money Rudy will command in the offseason. If he is healthy and willing to play for 6th man money a lot of teams will be interested. But ultimately Rudy only makes sense for teams, who want to win now, which pretty much excludes the Kings.
By the way - isn't resigning a player only for the purpose to use him as a trade asset a little bit cheap?;)
Ok, I get it. In your opinion Rudy is not valuable to a Playoff team. I see it differently.

This is going to depend on how Rudy's recovery comes along. Will he still be able to run and jump like Rudy Gay being key to this whole discussion. That said even if Rudy opts in and can play productive minutes and is not extended he has value at the deadline next season.

I definitely do not want Rudy for more than a couple of months next season and I can't imagine he wants to be here. I can only really see anything working with Rudy for the beginning of next season just to prove to teams that he's healthy and can compete again, then find a playoff team that wants him and he wants to play for and let him go finish his career with contenders.

Actually I can agree with that. But if this is his future role in the league, the only way he would be a tradeable asset for the Kings even after an extension, is when his contract reflects his new role. Rudy on a starters or even borderline All-Star level contract is not a good trade asset.
So resigning him only makes a little bit of sense, when he takes a huge paycut and his medical reports indicate he can be at least a serviceable player after tearing his achilles. And even then the Kings only resign him to trade him to the highest bidder. The Kings just don't need Rudy going forward. We are years away from fighting for a Playoff spot again and want our younglings to play meaningful minutes, while carrying as much load as they can handle. Surrounding them with veterans like Temple, who can help to stabilize things but still give plenty of opportunity to the young guns to make their mark in the league sounds very reasonable. Surrounding them with a player like Rudy is unecessary and may hurt their development.
I can more or less agree with you here. I wouldn't mind it terribly if Rudy opts in next year and gives us one good year while we develop our next SF. If all goes well, Rudy becomes our 6th man before the end of the season. Otherwise, I would use Temple in the same role, except that he should stay here (beyond next year) as our primary defender and mentor to the youngsters.

While I was watching the Kings game at Staples Center yesterday, I made an effort to watch Rudy and his interactions with the kids.

He sat next to Malichi the whole game and they were talking, his body language was good and you could see him stand up and get near the team huddles and give encouragement to the young kids.

I think we could get Good Rudy (the one we saw for a 1 1/4 years with Mike Malone) back, if he were to remain a King next year. :)

I think as long as he knows his role and plays within the team concept, he could be a very valuable player, while our rookie lottery picks develop next year. :)

I'm ok with Rudy opting in just because I think we could trade him to some contender next february, maybe getting a 2nd rounder or a young player in return. Better than nothing.
Rudy has a salary of 14M+ next year. Even in the current era of high salaries, it's not easy to trade that salary without taking something, usually not very useful back. A second round pick from a contender is worth virtually nothing, and I doubt any team gives something useful for potentially a few months of Rudy.

Rudy can be useful for us next year, if he accepts to be a mentor for the SF we draft/sign next year. Doubt he'll be happy with that role, since if he opts in, he'd like to showcase himself for his next, and likely final big contract.

We might be better off having that salary off our books, and potentially turning that into draft picks by taking on someone else's junk. Teams like Cavs, Blazers, Clips, and Wizards might give more to take some of their contracts off their hands, and we'll need to add salary to reach minimum anyway.

If Rudy walks, I wonder if we can somehow convince Iguodala to sign with us. I doubt he has any interest in a rebuilding project like ours, and I think Ws will find some way to resign him. However, they will have 3 players making $62M between them next year, and will need to pay Curry. Apart from Green, they won't have any "big" man. So, they will need to pay folks for positions they need, rather than a guy who will play behind KD.

Iggy is a good character guy, knows how to win (including MVP of the finals), and plays great defense. He even agreed to play behind Harrison Barnes in Oakland. He could be an ideal mentor to our large group of youngsters.

Of course, he's more likely to opt for a contender that has cap space and a promising future (Boston). Just wishing aloud though.

Rudy has a salary of 14M+ next year. Even in the current era of high salaries, it's not easy to trade that salary without taking something, usually not very useful back. A second round pick from a contender is worth virtually nothing, and I doubt any team gives something useful for potentially a few months of Rudy.

Rudy can be useful for us next year, if he accepts to be a mentor for the SF we draft/sign next year. Doubt he'll be happy with that role, since if he opts in, he'd like to showcase himself for his next, and likely final big contract.

We might be better off having that salary off our books, and potentially turning that into draft picks by taking on someone else's junk. Teams like Cavs, Blazers, Clips, and Wizards might give more to take some of their contracts off their hands, and we'll need to add salary to reach minimum anyway.
A bad contract and a second round pick is a possibility. A second rounder is always better than nothing if you ask me. You can strike gold in the second round, you never know.

I don't care about getting a back contract back, because I don't think we will be players in te free agents market in the next seasons, si we can afford to get some bad contracts considering how many players in rookie deals we will have.

This team has been bleading talent for too long now. We need to start getting as much as possible for every single asset we have.

A bad contract and a second round pick is a possibility. A second rounder is always better than nothing if you ask me. You can strike gold in the second round, you never know.

I don't care about getting a back contract back, because I don't think we will be players in te free agents market in the next seasons, si we can afford to get some bad contracts considering how many players in rookie deals we will have.

This team has been bleading talent for too long now. We need to start getting as much as possible for every single asset we have.
I agree. We have been bleeding talent for too long. But the time to trade Rudy has passed and Vlade couldn't get or didnt want to get anything done.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I have no idea what Rudy is going to do. At this juncture, I doubt Rudy knows what he's going to do. Depending on what the Kings do with McLemore, Afflalo, and both our current PG's, they should have plenty of cap space, regardless of Rudy's decision. So frankly, if Rudy decides to opt in, I don't think it will affect the team very much this year. Of course that's not speaking to how it will affect the team on the court. Rudy is an iso player, and that doesn't seem to fit the current team. And, knowing Joerger's affection for veteran players, I'm sure that a healthy Rudy will get his share of minutes.

Personally, if he opts in, I would try and trade him almost immediately. I would be laying the ground work for that now. There were teams interested in Rudy prior to his injury, and I have to assume that those teams would still be interested if they were convinced he was the same player post injury. Of course my hope is that he opts out. The Kings are in need of calm waters for a while. Rudy opting in only complicates the future, and the Kings have already had their share of that.

Finally, I really, really like Rudy. He's a great guy, and a class act. So regardless of what he decides, I wish him nothing but the best, and if that happens to be as a member of the Kings, so be it!

Does everything have to be tied to DMC with you or what?
That same question could be directed towards practically every member of this site -- even you. The topic of DMC is still quite relevant. Even if it wasn't, it most certainly was a relevant example given the question/concern I posed.

In short, get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.