Rudy Gay is a new father...again. :) (Updated title)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I've never really understood that one.

Rudy's wife is giving birth, not Rudy. I suppose he might be distracted by it all, but its something that will happen with or without him actually in the room, and its not as if the baby is going to remember whether he was there either. Really from a practical standpoint I would think his presence would be more important in the days after the birth while getting set into the new routine than at the actual event.

Rudy's wife is giving birth, not Rudy. I suppose he might be distracted by it all, but its something that will happen with or without him actually in the room, and its not as if the baby is going to remember whether he was there either. Really from a practical standpoint I would think his presence would be more important in the days after the birth while getting set into the new routine than at the actual event.
Dude, the bonding that can happen right when the baby is born is awesome, for both father and child. Of course the child will not consciously remember, but they will remember. Rudy... be with your wife and baby!

Bricklayer

Dude, the bonding that can happen right when the baby is born is awesome, for both father and child. Of course the child will not consciously remember, but they will remember. Rudy... be with your wife and baby!
I sincerely doubt they remember Hammer if you were there in the first hour, or 3 hours later.

And if somebody doesn't love their child because they didn't actually see it pop out of the womb, they've got issues. This is all noveau. Women have been having babies for thousands/millions of years without absolutely needing daddy standing at their shoulders.

I sincerely doubt they remember Hammer if you were there in the first hour, or 3 hours later.

And if somebody doesn't love their child because they didn't actually see it pop out of the womb, they've got issues. This is all noveau. Women have been having babies for thousands/millions of years without absolutely needing daddy standing at their shoulders.
I'm with hammer on this one. Being at my kid's births are two of the best days in my life. They won't remember but it's an incredibly cool experience.

Bricklayer

I'm with hammer on this one. Being at my kid's births are two of the best days in my life. They won't remember but it's an incredibly cool experience.
I wouldn't dare to disagree if it was cool for you -- that would just generally be my point though. Its more about the dad's own wishes than anything else. If he/you were necessary to the process in some way, the baby wouldn't grow up happy without you there, the mom couldn't give birth without you there etc. then obviously that would trump going to work for a few hours. But as it is, its really a personal thing for the dad, and not even one all dads agree on. hence my bemusement when its talked about as a flat necessity in the way the mom being there is a necessity.

Pretty sure kids born to military fathers, or born in taxis after mom suddenly goes into labor while dad is at work, or born 1000 other ways do just fine.

While not required, there really is no substitute for the experience of being there. I applaud him for wanting to be there and supporting his wife, too.

Although, considering when she went into labor, there was practically zero chance she wouldn't deliver well before the game.

In my view he should be there for his wife, the whole time, the support for the wife is bigger even if he's in the waiting room like I was in '54' ', 56', '58, and '65. Much more important than an NBA game or a shift in your patrol car.

Last edited:

Yeah that guy should really get his priorities straight

I wouldn't dare to disagree if it was cool for you -- that would just generally be my point though. Its more about the dad's own wishes than anything else. If he/you were necessary to the process in some way, the baby wouldn't grow up happy without you there, the mom couldn't give birth without you there etc. then obviously that would trump going to work for a few hours. But as it is, its really a personal thing for the dad, and not even one all dads agree on. hence my bemusement when its talked about as a flat necessity in the way the mom being there is a necessity.

Pretty sure kids born to military fathers, or born in taxis after mom suddenly goes into labor while dad is at work, or born 1000 other ways do just fine.
It's called being there to support your wife and child. And military fathers and children born in taxis are completely irrelevant here as Rudy is not in the military nor will his wife be taking uber

I couldn't possibly fathom a father not wanting to be there for the birth of his child. I'm not saying it never happens, but I can't understand it. Watching my daughter be born was one of the greatest joys of my entire life, it was watching the miracle of life begin right before me.

To me, the father not needing to be there is stating the obvious. Being there for the support of both your wife and your child can mean the world to a struggling and in pain woman. God forbid something were to go wrong... How big of an *** would the father feel like then? It would take me a long time before I could look at a mirror.

Bricklayer

It's called being there to support your wife and child. And military fathers and children born in taxis are completely irrelevant here as Rudy is not in the military nor will his wife be taking uber
It just goes to the same point that a woman alone in a jungle can still give birth to a perfectly healthy baby who can still grow up to be perfectly fine and well adjusted would make.

The point would be its a luxury. A choice. One that's even largely socially driven. In different societies in different parts of the world in different eras the ethos changes. Hence a modern Western father wanting to be there = makes perfect sense. But its a want. If he is or isn't the event is still going to take place very much the same.

You just revealed more about yourself in that post than in your last two years of posts combined. :oops:

It just goes to the same point that a woman alone in a jungle can still give birth to a perfectly healthy baby who can still grow up to be perfectly fine and well adjusted would make.

The point would be its a luxury. A choice. One that's even largely socially driven. In different societies in different parts of the world in different eras the ethos changes. Hence a modern Western father wanting to be there = makes perfect sense. But its a want.
You're arguing something that doesn't pertain to Gay's situation and derailing this thread. Want vs. Need is irrelevant. Gay has made his choice that he is going to be with his wife and witness his child's birth (a choice that the majority of us approve of and understand). Sometimes there are things that come before basketball.

If you still have the itch to debate Want vs. Need, I suggest taking it to a non-basketball forum...

smh

lol... what?

We're not talking dental work here, shes giving birth to their child. Bigger than basketball is a massive understatement.

Seeing my son and daughter enter this world and take their first breath are two moments that I will never forget. Greatest two days of my life. Not to mention the support my wife needed during the extremely stressful process.

I really don't think snapchat would have done the trick.

The point would be its a luxury. A choice. One that's even largely socially driven. In different societies in different parts of the world in different eras the ethos changes. Hence a modern Western father wanting to be there = makes perfect sense. But its a want. If he is or isn't the event is still going to take place very much the same.
No I get what you are saying and clearly the man doesn't actually need to be there for the baby to be born and live a good life...it's about your priorities . And again, it's not necessarily a want, it's a need to support your significant other

Bricklayer

You just revealed more about yourself in that post than in your last two years of posts combined. :oops:
Perhaps.

I do find it an interesting social standard however.

Its really this one event. If Rudy's wife was diagnosed with cancer and had to go into chemo there would be no announcement that Rudy was going to be gone for a few months to be there for her. And she would really need the support too. Nonetheless, he'd hire a nurse, do the best he could to be there for her in his off hours. His performance would understandably suffer and we'd accept that, but nobody would expect him to just drop out.

On the other hand missing a game to attend a love'd one's funeral is expected and normal, and of course you can't do anything at all for them, but be there to support those still living.

Bricklayer

You're arguing something that doesn't pertain to Gay's situation and derailing this thread. Want vs. Need is irrelevant. Gay has made his choice that he is going to be with his wife and witness his child's birth (a choice that the majority of us approve of and understand). Sometimes there are things that come before basketball.

If you still have the itch to debate Want vs. Need, I suggest taking it to a non-basketball forum...
Well here is where it becomes relevant:

Your employer is paying you approximately $250,000 to be somewhere tomorrow for about 3 hours. If you NEED to be somewhere else at that time, then you need to be and that must be respected. But now if this is a choice, if its about you and you take the man's quarter of a million while declining to even give him your three hours...there are competing responsibilities involved here. Being a standup guy demands you sacrifice your wants when somebody pays you good money to do so and do your best to earn it. It means you work hard, miss your kid's soccer games, maybe have to cancel the romantic relationship strengthening anniversary dinner you had planned for your wife, etc. But you agreed to do a job for a lot of money, and so you sacrifice those things as part of the responsibility. You don't say sorry, have to miss the game tonight because I think Jr. might take his first step, or little Sarah has her big dance recital.

Last edited:

Your employer is paying you approximately $250,000 to be somewhere tomorrow for about 3 hours. If you NEED to be somewhere else at that time, then you need to be and that must be respected. But now if this is a choice, if its about you and you take the man's quarter of a million while declining to even give him your three hours...there are competing responsibilities involved here. Being a standup guy demands you sacrifice your wants when somebody pays you good money to do so and do your best to earn it. It means you work hard, miss your kid's soccer games, maybe have to cancel the romantic relationship strengthening anniversary dinner you had planned for your wife, etc. But you agreed to do a job for a lot of money, and so you sacrifice those things as part of the responsibility.
Well thanks to FMLA this is a moot point.

Your employer is paying you approximately $250,000 to be somewhere tomorrow for about 3 hours. If you NEED to be somewhere else at that time, then you need to be and that must be respected. But now if this is a choice, if its about you and you take the man's quarter of a million while declining to even give him your three hours...there are competing responsibilities involved here. Being a standup guy demands you sacrifice your wants when somebody pays you good money to do so and do your best to earn it. It means you work hard, miss your kid's soccer games, maybe have to cancel the romantic relationship strengthening anniversary dinner you had planned for your wife, etc. But you agreed to do a job for a lot of money, and so you sacrifice those things as part of the responsibility. You don't say sorry, have to miss the game tonight because I think Jr. might take his first step, or little Sarah has her big dance recital.
Again, this is not what is happening in this situation. The story isn't "Gay leaves team for wife in labor, Kings are taking action against him." So again, you are arguing a hypothetical. What's done is done.