Barnes
Sabonis

with
Mitchell
Lamb
Harkless
Metu/Lyles
Holmes

as your 10 man rotation. And you still have Jackson/Metu (or Lyles)/Jones/Len as your even deeper bench options. I think it makes more sense to start DDV for now since you can swing him to the 3 in smaller Fox/Mitchell/DDV lineups and Mitchell is obviously better suited to handle a primary ball-handler role for the bench.

Serious influx of talent, length and defense on the wing in particular. Impressive.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Fox
Holiday
HB
Metu
DS

Mitchell
Ddv
Lamb
Holmes/Jones/New big

9 guy rotation I guess. Len is done unless we need a big C
I think we gotta just start smaller and go

Fox
DDV/Mitchell
Holliday/Lamb
Barnes
DS

That's the unit that was giving the Wolves the most trouble last night and having multiple strong perimeter defenders (Moe Harkless is no longer our only perimeter guy aside from Davion who won't get toasted possession by possession) could help make up for the fact that we don't really have a true shot blocker on the roster (Fingers crossed Queta eventually gets there)

Fox
Holiday
HB
Metu
DS

Mitchell
Ddv
Lamb or Jackson
Holmes/Jones/New big

9 guy rotation I guess. Len is done unless we need a big C
Sounds about right, but Lyles might be better than advertised. He too was a high pick out of Kentucky the same draft as WCS.
I don’t follow things as well as many of you but I do get into the draft being a long time Kings fan and I thought he’d have a good pro career.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This is a good question. I think as constructed the only thing for sure is that this is a Fox/Barnes/Sabonis team. Then around them they shift if they need to. Personally, I think Lyles is an upgrade over Metu. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start. I'm guessing small ball will still be the way but Sabonis changes the whole dynamic there because they now have a legit post option that can generate points so the Kings guards manufacturing points for the bigs isn't nearly as necessary.

I’m curious if Josh Jackson is ever going to break out.
So much hype coming out of Kansas and it was more than just physical talent he was thought to have a high BB IQ.
Anyways, great size for a wing so hope he finds success here in Sac.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So much hype coming out of Kansas and it was more than just physical talent he was thought to have a high BB IQ.
Kansas is Duke #2 for me when it comes to busts. Paul Pierce probably fell 6 spots in the draft a quarter century ago because Kansas has had that rep. I think he also pulled a commitment from UA so that soured me on him. But I think he's a very interesting guy who might have put his head on. He'll get an opportunity here if he wants it.

PG - Fox (18 min) / Mitchell (30 min)
SG - DiVincenzo (30 min) / Fox (18 min)
SF - Holiday (30 min) / Barnes (18 min)
PF - Barnes (16 min) / Lyles (24 min) / Sabonis (12 min)
C - Sabonis (22 min) / Holmes (26 min)

Fox= 36 min
Barnes = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
DiVincenzo = 30 min
Holiday = 30 min
Mitchell = 30 min
Holmes = 26 min
Lyles = 24 min

I really just hope we see Fox, Mitchell, & DiVincenzo get at least 28 mpg or more per night.

Gentry has a tool box on the wing now. Personally, I think Lamb is the upside guy. He can run pnr and if he can get his shot back he's the Bazemore replacement. Holiday/JJ/Harkless are the up in your grill guys. That's 18 fouls there for the taking. With JJ, maybe a few of those could be flagrants. haha.

PG - Fox (18 min) / Mitchell (30 min)
SG - DiVincenzo (30 min) / Fox (18 min)
SF - Holiday (30 min) / Barnes (18 min)
PF - Barnes (16 min) / Lyles (24 min) / Sabonis (12 min)
C - Sabonis (22 min) / Holmes (26 min)

Fox= 36 min
Barnes = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
DiVincenzo = 30 min
Holiday = 30 min
Mitchell = 30 min
Holmes = 26 min
Lyles = 24 min

I really just hope we see Fox, Mitchell, & DiVincenzo get at least 28 mpg or more per night.
I think if you pair it down to a 9 man rotation, Lamb is certainly going to play over Lyles. This looks pretty close to correct though with maybe a few less combined Sabonis/Holmes minutes.

And while we're all of a sudden wing-city, I don't think Harkless leaves the rotation either. He's been too good and should excel even more with the defensive help that's on the way.

I think if you pair it down to a 9 man rotation, Lamb is certainly going to play over Lyles. This looks pretty close to correct though with maybe a few less combined Sabonis/Holmes minutes.

And while we're all of a sudden wing-city, I don't think Harkless leaves the rotation either. He's been too good and should excel even more with the defensive help that's on the way.
Yeah, Lamb, Harkless, & Lyles will be competing for 8th/9th man minutes. I don't really want to see Lamb cutting into guard minutes for Fox, Mitchell, or DiVincenzo though.

When you have your production solved with Fox/Barnes/Sabonis, Harkless now becomes a positive piece that you can use as a role guy when needed. Not as a main contributor like before.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Harkless rejoin the starting 5 (familiarity) and pair back up with Barnes either. They've been a super successful 3/4 combo and Harkless is better suited than Holiday or Lamb to shift down to the 4. Lets you bring DDV along in a less stressful minutes role too while he continues to rehab.

So:

Fox
Holiday
Harkless
Barnes
Sabonis

with some ridiculous firepower off the bench:

Mitchell
DDV
Lamb
Lyles
Holmes

Interchangeable and flexible everywhere outside of the Sabonis/Holmes offensive fit.

Yeah, Lamb, Harkless, & Lyles will be competing for 8th/9th man minutes. I don't really want to see Lamb cutting into guard minutes for Fox, Mitchell, or DiVincenzo though.
Lamb is the real swiss army knife. He's a G/F in the best way. Can run pnr and thrives in that UCONN style of off the ball movement, and has the length to guard up. Harkless is a SF/PF that thrives guarding 2's. Lyles is a stretch 4. DDV is another combo G that either allows Davion to move next to Fox or gets that spot himself. JJ is a pure wing defender. Holiday is a legit SG/SF defender. They all cover the board on what they can do.

I don't see it as an issue. Lamb is absolutely a wing in today's game and Monte's 2 year love of DDV is a pretty clear indication he wants him as a core piece of this team moving forward. I think there's room to support everybody with how versatile we randomly are now across the board: Mitchell can flex 1-2, DDV can flex 1-3, Holiday can flex 2-3 (and to the 4 on rare occasion), Lamb can flex 2-3, Harkless can flex 3-4, Barnes can flex 3-4. Lyles and Metu are both 4-5 flexible. Sabonis should be a C only, but you can obviously play him at the 4 if needed. Really, Holmes is the only stationary "stuck" guy on the team positionally.

Lyles is like our version of Kyle Anderson but just at the 4. Kind of like a slow, methodical, crafty scorer and moves well without the ball to set up other players or get a putback

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lyles is like our version of Kyle Anderson but just at the 4. Kind of like a slow, methodical, crafty scorer and moves well without the ball to set up other players or get a putback
Dudes who come out of that San Antonio system know how to move without the ball (unless they're CoJo, who never had to worry about it because he was always pounding the air out of the ball himself).

My only hope for holmes currently is that they actually put him in the PnR again. I haven't seen him be put in the rim roles or take a push shot in the last many games. I feel like they have frozen him out of the offense for the last 10 games.