Rookie Run Down/Kings youth

S

sactownfan

Alright 3 preseason games in and with summer league over. I though we should open up a thread were we can comment on all of them all together, and game to game...

I wanna say that although all are kinda deer in the headlights right now, and their all playing at hyper speed, they have all shown some flashes and im overall very encouraged by them...

Jason Thompson!.....
Wow talk about energy! hes out running guards down the court and some times jumping 4 times for a rebound before someone grabs it! This guy has been the most encouraging out of the bunch mostly because of where we drafted him, and we have him locked up past this year contract wise.

His jumper isn't falling but that will come, look back at K-mart and Garcia. I think he's just looking to get comfortable and when that happens things will slow down. It looks like he'll be playing more SF against the "Big" lineups. and PF in the small ball lineups for this year. You can tell already that he's gonna really need to add some more size before he will be able to handle the Pau Gasol's in the league... but although he gets pushed around hes very active and he still can alter shots.

I loved that spin move last night when he drove the lane for a easy 2! that alone was a huge bright spot for me. Not many PF's even out of their rookie season can pull off that move.

Bobby Brown!...
Hes had the best game all around so far and looks to have the biggest impact on the year... a scoring PG that showed he can pass and defend hes pretty complete for a rookie. Kinda got caught in hyper mode last night and was forcing it. Had a lame game but again i think he also is just a rookie and will at time to time find himself in that Garcia hyper speed mind set...

Donte Greene!...
He might have the greatest potential out of the bunch. Having 3pt range(although im still waiting to see it), the size at 6'10, and the athleticism to slash and all that. Clearly the question is wither or not he can reach his potential. But he is very young and im not expecting a whole lot till at least next year (again look at K-mart and Garcia) I think spending a year practicing with K-mart and friends should be helpful for his growth. Looks like it could be a long year for him though... But im still looking forward to seeing those flashes of greatness, which im sure will happen.

Spencer Hawes!...
sure hes not a Rookie but he is younger than Thompson, that why i added the / and added Kings youth

Hawes is looking much better over the last 2 games after being destroyed by Portland. He looked very strong against Pau and Bynum. I though he did a great job on those guys, better than Miller. After having a horrible summer league and that Portland game, plus the drama about the sprint test, I was pretty down on Hawes, but i though last night was a great game to judge him being that the Lakers have true PF's and C's and very good one at that. He did alright! not quite as amazing as the Sonics(lol) but i thought he held his own. I think hes a year away, if he adds more size and strength, to being able to play the way he played against the sonics, the same way against the lakers bigs.

He cant jump doesn't look like that will ever change and hes still kinda slow. Although he may never be an All-Star D. Howard he could be very good.

It doesn't look like Hawes will ever learn how to use his body. He's a pure finesse post player. Someone should remind him that basketball involves more than just outskilling your competition. Should of had Artest manhandle and post him down all day in practice last year. Take some sumo and judo classes.

Donte looks like a high potential chucker. He sort of can be like Kevin Durant if he wants to but looks like he's in love with the three. The coaching staff should force him to score from within the picket fence. Iso on top and low block plays should be called for him (I want to see). Hire a nutritionist and turn him into a freak.

Jason looks like a SF which is probably why Petrie drafted him?

Sometimes it's not about how you use your body but how you use your feet. Hawes' footwork makes him an inside threat with or without his strength.

But yeah, he just needs to get stronger and bigger. We'll see what happens.

Hawes was fakeprinting he wasn't sprinting, so other C/F think he's slow, but he actually has quickness that isn't rivaled for a hawes his height. Hopefully he takes the NBA challenge to heart and starts doing more than writing a sports article semi-bluffs. Because. master the media is second to mastery of the game. I would like to see Spencer on the front page or not at all. Rebounds are like chocolates, you never know which one your gonna get. Spencer can get a rebound, but not like Thompson can get a rebound, they need to find a way to work together, and clean glass as a team, thats why rodman was so good at rebounding, he made a game of it with his team mates. Lets focus on the real need for all these rookies, be respectful of their team mates, and actually of other players on other teams as well. Refs are invited, and we should play a political game this year.

I've noticed that the very successful players in the league will get to the line. Of our young players the best at that has been Thompson so far. If Hawes and Thompson live down in the paint and collect on foul calls then they should live up to expectations and help us become a good / great team. That strategy has worked for all of our bigs throughout the past decade.

I agree that Donte has high chucker potential if he continues to treat every possession he touches as an opportunity to score, but I liked his activity around the basket last night, and hopefully he can focus on the intangibles and keep his activity level up. His shot seems very streaky as it stands.

I know we haven't seen much of Thompson, but based on what he's shown so far, I envision him more as a forward hybrid at best--he definitely doesn't seem like a meat and potatoes type PF, despite his hustle, and he tends to face up a lot on offense, which may not be a bad thing. But for those of us who wanted a Joakim Noah type potential interior defensive stalwart, or even wanted Brook Lopez/Robin Lopez in this year's draft, Thompson's not that type of player. There's a lot of potential with him as a a guy who can do a little bit of everything in offense, with defensive mobility, and that makes him more of a forward.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
At the game in Vegas I kept watching Jason without the ball whenever he was in and was impressed with his quick moves and overall quickness. He was at or near his spot much of the time for a change as was Hawes. His overall skills are becoming apparent in games for longer and longer stretches. He clearly dominates vs. second tier types now and does well in spurts with the big guys especially using his quickness.

Hawes stayed down low more but can't resist that 3-pt line. Who ever suggested hiring a body guard who would wap him one when he gets above the 3-pt line has my support as well. He is more a finesse type and will need some more bulk and muscle to be effective down low.

Jason is likely more a PF and SF but could play the 5 in small ball, in fact should play the 5 as he can run and is very coordinated and is 6-11 and can jump.

Brown dribbled too much even for a shooting PG. He needs to quiet down a bit and learn to move himself as well as the ball. Doing credible work considering he flew under the NBA radar and if BJax takes him under his wing could be big bench help for a long time.

Greene really has the moves and shooting/scoring ability but needs a year off the bench to learn how not to get hammered and killed by the vets going to the bucket. Could be a real diamond in the rough: a long, quick scoring machine off the bench.

But we all need patience as its going to take probably half the season to settle down into a rhythm and a rotation. I love what I saw in the 3rd preseason. Lets see how much the "kids" learn in the next 5 games.

S

sactownfan

Well its official!

Donte Greene is going to struggle all year... probably wont play much... but has and will continue to show flashes of greatness. He had a really good dunk this preseason and hit a couple 3's... if he puts it all together, defense, 3's, and dunks he will be special....

but we will have to wait till next year... He should be able to learn alot from working with the likes of Martin, and hopefully will make the most of this year working on next year.

Well its official!

Donte Greene is going to struggle all year... probably wont play much... but has and will continue to show flashes of greatness. He had a really good dunk this preseason and hit a couple 3's... if he puts it all together, defense, 3's, and dunks he will be special....

but we will have to wait till next year... He should be able to learn alot from working with the likes of Martin, and hopefully will make the most of this year working on next year.
Just remember Kevin Martin was left off the playoff roster in his rookie year...