Rondo and free throws

Nope. That's just more generalized theory/instruction, go straight up and down.That's what you tell kids who are jumping all over the place. But if you were to put a quarter on the ground and go up with perfect form, you're going to land about 3-6" in front of it.

A natural jump shot has your feet floating forward slightly at the release/follow thru. And attempting to come down and land on that quarter every time you would shoot a FT is just dumb.
What you are saying (3 to 6 inches forward) may hold true on perimeter shots. A 15 foot shot does not require gaining forward momentum. Its more about upward momentum and ideal arc. Jumping straight up an down on a FT is not dumb. Jumping forward is.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
What you are saying (3 to 6 inches forward) may hold true on perimeter shots. A 15 foot shot does not require gaining forward momentum. Its more about upward momentum and ideal arc. Jumping straight up an down on a FT is not dumb. Jumping forward is.
It's not about forward momentum. Shooting a natural jumper is going to see your feet float forward. Who said "jump forward"? Two different things.

And to Capt's point, yeah he could take a step back but that just makes it that much tougher to shoot from the same exact spot every time compared to lining up your foot at the FT line. Produces more room for error and why do that if Rondo can't get his elbow and release correct? Shooting FT's isn't a strength issue, you don't need to jump. If you can't hit them, it's a mechanical issue with your release. Taking a step back doesn't solve that. It would be an attempt to cover up for a mechanical issue. Try fixing that. Shooting FTs actually simplifies shooting. It's why when working on your release you start from the FT and in without jumping. When the release is correct, you then start moving back and adding jumping to it. The idea for Rondo to step back and shoot jumpers is backwards.

It's not about forward momentum. Shooting a natural jumper is going to see your feet float forward. Who said "jump forward"? Two different things.

And to Capt's point, yeah he could take a step back but that just makes it that much tougher to shoot from the same exact spot every time compared to lining up your foot at the FT line. Produces more room for error and why do that if Rondo can't get his elbow and release correct? Shooting FT's isn't a strength issue, you don't need to jump. If you can't hit them, it's a mechanical issue with your release. Taking a step back doesn't solve that. It would be an attempt to cover up for a mechanical issue. Try fixing that. Shooting FTs actually simplifies shooting. It's why when working on your release you start from the FT and in without jumping. When the release is correct, you then start moving back and adding jumping to it. The idea for Rondo to step back and shoot jumpers is backwards.
My perspective differs from yours (obviously!):

Rondo feels more comfortable shooting on the move. When preceded by motion. When he stands at FT line he locks up a bit. His misses are result of aiming and trying to guide the ball into rim. This is overthinking and standing there with flashing memory and feeling of past struggles.

This gives credence to shooting with more lift even to point of tip toes coming off the floor. Why? Because you are trying to eliminate the tension that blocks the smooth execution. I am not talking about a full fledged jump shot here. I am just talking about getting a little more elevation and upward momentum to resemble his FG motion.

I don't necessarily think he he needs to move back from the FT line. But if he were (and by the way I think I have seen that Marco shoots about 3-4 inches behind the line) it is not an effort to correct a mechanical issue it is to increase his degree of comfort consistent with his natural shooting motion.

Rondo's FGAs have a high arc. If he were to shoot with a little more lift on his FT with tip toes off the floor and straight up and down, he would mimicking this high arc.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
... And to Capt's point, yeah he could take a step back but that just makes it that much tougher to shoot from the same exact spot every time compared to lining up your foot at the FT line. Produces more room for error and why do that if Rondo can't get his elbow and release correct?
Van Exel shot .794 career. Just sayin'.

Rondo's outstanding at threading passes through traffic, but struggles when he's alone at the free throw line. The obvious solution is to have a couple of guys stand in front of him when he's at the line.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When Carlisle pushed it, Rondo responded ... by sinking two critical FTs. And the Hack-A-Rondo went away. It honestly amuses me that this got its own thread. The poetry that is Rajon Rondo is much greater than the single line that is free throws.

That is exactly reason why this thread.
I like his art, but when you have canvas with a piece of art, stick-man scribble on it stands out.... it is just very bizzare that it is there.

Basically, he needs to be at 50% on the "Hack a Rondo" plays. Someone did the math a few years back and
There really isn't much math to it at all.

If a team intentionally fouled Rondo on 10 consecutive possession and he converted 10 of the 20 free throw attempts, it'd be the same as if the Kings shot 5 for 10 (50%) from the field under normal circumstances. Any team not named the Warriors would take that.

To me, the tactic is really only useful at the end of games. Obviously, you can't foul away from the ball the last 2 minutes -- but I'm referring to fouling Rondo each time he touches the ball.

The manner in which Carlisle used it last night is quite dumb, IMO. Too much time left in the game and it takes you out of your own offense due to all the stoppage in play. You can't get in a rhythm.

However, in the last 90 seconds of a game when all the pressure is on -- it's a great tactic. And Coach Karl may need to get the ball in the hands of Collison and Curry more often in those situations.

There really isn't much math to it at all.

If a team intentionally fouled Rondo on 10 consecutive possession and he converted 10 of the 20 free throw attempts, it'd be the same as if the Kings shot 5 for 10 (50%) from the field under normal circumstances. Any team not named the Warriors would take that.

To me, the tactic is really only useful at the end of games. Obviously, you can't foul away from the ball the last 2 minutes -- but I'm referring to fouling Rondo each time he touches the ball.

The manner in which Carlisle used it last night is quite dumb, IMO. Too much time left in the game and it takes you out of your own offense due to all the stoppage in play. You can't get in a rhythm.

However, in the last 90 seconds of a game when all the pressure is on -- it's a great tactic. And Coach Karl may need to get the ball in the hands of Collison and Curry more often in those situations.
Who here thinks Carlisle went the Hack-a-Rondo route without at least some agenda? Carlisle cannot be happy watching Rondo play so well for Karl and the Kings.

All that said Carlisle is a pretty good coach to have this Mavs squad at 10 and 8. I mean he has turned Zaza Pachulia into a pretty good starting center.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Where've you been hiding? Sho'Nuff has been a pretty good starting center. He's always been serviceable as a role-playing starter, it's just that nobody knew and/or cared, because he played in the east.

Who here thinks Carlisle went the Hack-a-Rondo route without at least some agenda? Carlisle cannot be happy watching Rondo play so well for Karl and the Kings.
Rajon playing the way he is and showing commitment and devotion to the cause, as he's practically been doing since his first minute in Kings' jersey, is carlisle's worst nightmare.
In a speechless manner, Rondo has let his work talk for himself, night in-night out, giving the world a chance to make up one's mind and expose the real truth of what happened last year in Dallas.

Last edited:
J

jdbraver

Rajon playing the way he is and showing commitment and devotion to the cause, as he's practically been doing since his first minute in Kings' jersey, is carlisle's worst nightmare.
In a speechless manner, Rondo has let his work talk for himself, night in-night out, giving the world a chance to make up one's mind and expose the real truth of what happened last year in Dallas.
My only fear is rondo figures out how bad this team is and walks at the end of the year.