Ron Artest's dog - CBS 13 report

Quote:
Artest said in his e-mail that when he left last week for a road trip, "my dog watcher was feeding both my dogs and my American bulldog dominated all the food."

When he got back, Artest said, "I realized Socks lost a lot of weight. So I immediately isolated Socks in a separate room in my garage to eat and gain some weight back."

The next day, he said, animal control officers took the dog.

"The other times my dogs were escaping the half-acre gated area I had for them, and the animal police would always bring them back," Artest said.
I don't think his family lives here year round. If you read between the lines just a little, I think you might see that the neighbors in the "exclusive neighborhood" just might not be real happy with dogs occasionally getting loose, an NBA star living in their midst, and who knows what else.
From personal experience, Artest's explanation is believable. I have four dogs, all strays or taken in to be kept from being shot. One of the most recent additions has an aggressive streak when it comes to food. Despite four bowls spaced good distance apart with plenty of food, I get concerned at times of the one trying to keep the smaller two (one who was/is a runt) from getting to any of the food until she has had her fill.

And VF21, I think you might have hit the root of the problem on the head.

Ron Artest can't get a break. Ignorant strangers screw with him at every possible opportunity. Someone please tell me why nosey busy-bodies don't focus their attention on drug-dealers, wife-beaters, pot-smoking losers, and corrupt politicians. There is no shortage of just causes.

You could not pay me enough to live in one of those gated communities with draconian CC&Rs. How could I pee on pine trees or drive my old truck. I am not not appropriate for Gold River.

No one is advocating animal cruelty, RKid. What we're saying is that this is NOT a breaking news story; if it was anyone other than Ron Artest it wouldn't have even made the news. The allegations on their face actually appear ridiculous. It seems pretty obvious this was intentionally leaked to the media for whatever reason...

And Ch. 3 chose to lead their story with a 15-second clip of the brawl. Care to explain how that relates to the issue of animal cruelty?
Actually animal cruelty can lead to Felony Convictions. I do usually hear on the news when people in Sacramento are charged with animal cruelty. I just think they made it top news because it happens to be a local celebrity.

Usually when celebrities are facing felony charges, you would hear about it on the news, heck even if the charges are misdemeanor.

I don't think anyone should make light of mistreating pets. I'm not laying blame anywhere, but our pets are our friends and when they are captivated by us, it is our responsibility to make sure we give them the best.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
And it seems Ron was doing just that to make everything right by seperating the Great Dane and giving it more food to help get its weight up.

But since this is Artest, we just ignore everything he says and assume the worst, yes?

Honestly, he said what happened, and also said what he did to try to fix it...Apparently thats not good enough for him.

Yeesh.

And what type of glorious insight did Rome have? Some rant about how he is the worst person in the NBA, and when he isn't starting brawls and trying to be a rapper he's now abusing animals?...I pretty much hate Rome.

You could not pay me enough to live in one of those gated communities with draconian CC&Rs. How could I pee on pine trees or drive my old truck. I am not not appropriate for Gold River.
I hate CCR's, gates, HO's associations. I was driven out of such a place. I could not take the spying, false accusations and threats. Its soul, creativity, and individuality killing. Ugh...never again. And the homes are boring in their uniformity and blandness.

So I'm not appropriate either, despite being pretty inocuous. Go figure.

I hate CCR's, gates, HO's associations. I was driven out of such a place. I could not take the spying, false accusations and threats. Its soul, creativity, and individuality killing. Ugh...never again. And the homes are boring in their uniformity and blandness.

So I'm not appropriate either, despite being pretty inocuous. Go figure.
anybody who would be adventurous enough to change their own motor oil would be an outcast (please count me in that group!), my wife informed me long ago that we need to cross Gold River off our list:eek: .

Abusing dogs is not a victimless crime.

You don't leave dogs unattended. It's that simple.

Ron Artest can't get a break. Ignorant strangers screw with him at every possible opportunity. Someone please tell me why nosey busy-bodies don't focus their attention on drug-dealers, wife-beaters, pot-smoking losers, and corrupt politicians. There is no shortage of just causes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Abusing dogs is not a victimless crime.

You don't leave dogs unattended. It's that simple.
Did you even read what Artest's explanation was? He saw the problem, as caused by his more-agressive bulldog, and he set out to immidiatly fix the problem by seperating the two.

Honestly...I tend to believe him on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indiana's "Artest bomb" is that he gets into a brawl with the Pistons that draws national attention.

Our Artest bomb is that one of his dogs that was left outside too long. I was expecting something more...dramatic.

Did you even read what Artest's explanation was? He saw the problem, as caused by his more-agressive bulldog, and he set out to immidiatly fix the problem by seperating the two.

You mean RA basically admiting he leaves his dogs home alone when he goes on road trips and/or his wife and kids not feeding his animals?

Maybe i'm crazy but it seems like animal abuse to me.

http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/120331.html
==================================

Artest's dog woes aren't new
Since July, his pets have spent 77 nights at the pound at a cost of $1,942 in fees.
By Dorothy Korber and Christina Jewett - Bee Staff Writers
Published 12:00 am PST Thursday, February 8, 2007
Story appeared in METRO section, Page B1

Sacramento Kings star Ron Artest lets his dogs run around in this fenced area of his 5-acre estate in the gated community of Sierra Ridge Estates in Loomis. Artest acknowledged Wednesday that a pet situation "got out of hand" during a seven-day road trip. "Then we got back and got a handle on it," he said.

Ron Artest says he loves dogs, but the Kings basketball star has a string of complaints on record in Placer County for failure to care for his own pets and letting them roam loose.

Since July, his four dogs have spent a total of 77 nights at the pound -- at a cost to their master of $1,942 in boarding and impound fees.

The incidents culminated Sunday when animal control officers showed up at Artest's sprawling Loomis estate and seized Socks, his Great Dane, and began investigating Artest for failing "to provide proper sustenance." Socks was underweight, according to Artest's own account.

Under California law, Artest could be criminally charged for a misdemeanor or a felony, and potentially fined up to $20,000, according to Placer County officials.

"We take a look at all the animals -- if one's not being cared for properly, we look at the others," said Tim Goffa, an official with Placer County Animal Services.

Artest blamed Socks' condition on improper feeding by his dog sitter. On Tuesday, he told The Bee that the sitter was feeding two of his dogs and that one of them, an American bulldog, "dominated all the food."

"The situation got out of hand" during a seven-day road trip, he said in an interview after practice Wednesday. "Then we got back and got a handle on it."

When animal control officers showed up to take the Great Dane on Sunday, they were already familiar with Artest's pets: Socks, Harley the pit bull, Biscuit the golden retriever, and a fourth dog the records did not name.

Before this week's incident, officers had gone to the Artest home six times since July in response to callers' complaints, documents from Placer County Animal Services show.

A July complaint stated: "Four dogs tied up not being fed for six wks. Aggressive when they get loose." An August complaint said the dogs "are loose often," and that their owner has been out of town for several months.

In October, a caller reported that a "loose pit bull" was in Artest's front yard. In December, officers responded to a call that Socks had been struck by a car.

In a July interview with The Bee, Artest spoke of having seven dogs on his rural estate. Since then, the numbers have dwindled, and Artest conceded Wednesday there have been problems.

Socks suffered a broken leg in the auto accident. And Biscuit never was found after his last escape.

Another dog was killed in his yard, Artest wrote in an e-mail to The Bee.

"My other little puppy was killed by a wild animal up here in Roseville," said Artest, who suggested that a mountain lion or bobcat might have been to blame.

He said he'd sent some of the other dogs to Indiana "because my doggy watcher couldn't take care of all the dogs."

Allan Frumkin, president of the Sierra Ridge Estates Homeowners Association, is among 18 homeowners in Artest's gated Loomis community.

Frumkin said the loose dogs became a problem shortly after Artest and his family moved to their 5-acre Sierra Ridge property last spring. He noted that Artest was away much of the summer, when someone else periodically fed and watered the dogs.

"It became general knowledge that he wasn't taking good care of his dogs," said Frumkin. Neighbors felt compelled to look after the animals, he said. "One neighbor fed them and bought a watering machine for them."

Rosemary Frieborn is monitoring the Socks case in her role as president of Friends of Placer County Animal Shelter.

"This dog was a rack of bones," she said, adding she hopes Artest is charged for neglecting the dog.

But another observer said Artest is a good dog owner.

Oscar Navarro, a gardener who has tended Artest's property for the last four months, said he has seen no evidence that Artest neglects his dogs: "From what I've seen, he's doing everything right."

Navarro said Socks lived inside the house for the better part of a month while recuperating from her injury.

"The dog was in a carpeted living room," he said. "She was living better than a lot of people."

In his e-mail to The Bee, Artest said he looks forward to getting his Great Dane back. And, to help him manage the dogs, he said he has hired a new caretaker for his animals.

"I have a new professional doggy watcher from out of state that will help me train my dogs better," Artest wrote. "I'm horrible at that.

"I love dogs and think they should be able to live (as) freely as possible."

Last edited:
^^ re: above article.

There definately is some kind of history of neglect where his dogs are concerned. When caring for my animals I tend to take more of a proactive approach, rather than a reactive one.

No one wants to see young unattended child run around and get hit by a car, or an old man with dementia get lost never to be heard from again - I don't see why the sentiment for peoples pets who are reliant upon their caretakers for everything are any different.

This is a very serious matter, I don't find it funny at all.

A July complaint stated: "Four dogs tied up not being fed for six wks. Aggressive when they get loose." An August complaint said the dogs "are loose often," and that their owner has been out of town for several months.
Six weeks? Um... wouldn't the dogs be DEAD by then?!?

I think this complaint is a load of bull.

But another observer said Artest is a good dog owner.

Oscar Navarro, a gardener who has tended Artest's property for the last four months, said he has seen no evidence that Artest neglects his dogs: "From what I've seen, he's doing everything right."

Navarro said Socks lived inside the house for the better part of a month while recuperating from her injury.

"The dog was in a carpeted living room," he said. "She was living better than a lot of people."
Which "witness" story is more credible?

Perhaps we should just categorize this as "More-Ron". Of course we could shorten it and make it a little more street as "Mo' Ron".

Or....we could certainly coin a fitting nickname----Moron.

Dogs deserve better, especially when you're making 5-6 mil a year you could care enough to hire a dog walker/sitter. Very possibly Ron'll be out of the league in a year or two wrestling Dennis Rodman, Tyson, or One against two facing Tonya Harding and the diapered astronaut.

He is playing well though. tick-tick-tick.

Six weeks? Um... wouldn't the dogs be DEAD by then?!?

I think this complaint is a load of bull.

Which "witness" story is more credible?
The gardener's, I hope. But, he is being paid by Artest, so I am not totally convinced.

I have little to no patience with people who misteat animals. I really hope that this is all over exaggerated and the animals are fine. I think that it is good that he has hired somebody to help him learn how to properly care for his dogs. I hope the rest of his family listens in as well.

Dogs need more than food and water. They need attention. If Ron is not home enough to do that, his family should be doing it. If they are not able or willing, he needs to give to dogs to somebody who can and will care for them.

If ths is a case of terrible, pain in the @#$ neighbors, who just do not like Ron for whatever reasons then that is different. If I were Ron, I would consider moving OR taking some legal action against them.

The gardener's, I hope. But, he is being paid by Artest, so I am not totally convinced.

I have little to no patience with people who misteat animals. I really hope that this is all over exaggerated and the animals are fine. I think that it is good that he has hired somebody to help him learn how to properly care for his dogs. I hope the rest of his family listens in as well.

Dogs need more than food and water. They need attention. If Ron is not home enough to do that, his family should be doing it. If they are not able or willing, he needs to give to dogs to somebody who can and will care for them.

If ths is a case of terrible, pain in the @#$ neighbors, who just do not like Ron for whatever reasons then that is different. If I were Ron, I would consider moving OR taking some legal action against them.
I'm just the kind of person who likes to have all the evidence and question all the witnesses before coming to a conclusion.

At this point, a lot of this seems exaggerated by nosey neighbors with nothing better to do and enjoy speaking to the "press". It makes them feel important.

I don't know if Ron was just dealing with a bad dog sitter, or if he is the evil doggie-abuser here.

I live in a semi-rural area and I know we've lost several cats over the years to predators. I'd hate to have the Animal Control people breathing down my neck for "abusing" cats.

It's obvious the neighboors aren't exaggerating...

I mean, dogs can easily go 6 weeks without food as some of the neighboors put into a prior report...

*rolls eyes*

what i wanna know is why this is still a subject of much-debated conversation. its got nothing to do with basketball. who cares?

what i wanna know is why this is still a subject of much-debated conversation. its got nothing to do with basketball. who cares?

Actually, it has a lot to do with basketball. If Ron is convicted of a crime (animal cruelty/neglect is considered as such), he will also be disciplined by the NBA, usually with a suspension.

It also is important to the Kings off the court. I think that we have had enough bad PR over the past couple of seasons as it is. Granted, not as much as other organizations, but then those organizations are not looking for new arena deals.

Am I saying that this will cause us not to get a new deal done - not all. What I am saying is that we need more positive PR not negative.

Bottom line - I really hope that this is total "hogwash." If not, I am unsure of what impact this will have on our team, but there will be adverse consequences both on and off the court.

An aggressive American Bulldog needs to be supervised at all times. That includes eating. If you don't want to do that, you get a non working breed.

That's dog ownership 101.