Ron Artest tells espn.com that he regrets not opting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entity

Hall of Famer
the Lakers would love to have Ron. I wonder if they would be willing to take KT back with him for Lamar Odom (expiring). we would have Odom SF/PF and be rid of KT and Ron.

Yes, I'd also like to know where and when these alleged promises were made. To me, it sounds like Artest got suckered into his agent's promises rather than the kings promises.

the Lakers would love to have Ron. I wonder if they would be willing to take KT back with him for Lamar Odom (expiring). we would have Odom SF/PF and be rid of KT and Ron.
Not happening. They wouldn't love to have Ron, they might have taken a chance on him with the MLE, but that's the extent of it. They're not giving up Lamar for Ron and they're not taking back a junk conract. I think they'd rather just go swap LO for Gerald Wallace straight up, and they don't even really want to do that.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yes, I'd also like to know where and when these alleged promises were made. To me, it sounds like Artest got suckered into his agent's promises rather than the kings promises.
I'm just going to wait to hear what Ron has to say at 9pm. I don't know that Petrie ever made a promise to Ron about an extension, I'm sure he wouldn't have done that. But I have heard the Maloof brothers talk about wanting to keep Ron in Sacramento on a number of occasions. There was a tidbit about an ESPN podcast in March, but I remember the same question being asked on TV broadcasts and the Maloofs always answering in the affirmative about wanting to keep Ron. Now you could say that Ron should have seen through the smokescreen or whatever, but I don't think that's fair. I'm sure they've had many candid conversations about this as well and Ron clearly got the impression that an extension was a possibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just going to wait to hear what Ron has to say at 9pm. I don't know that Petrie ever made a promise to Ron about an extension, I'm sure he wouldn't have done that. But I have heard the Maloof brothers talk about wanting to keep Ron in Sacramento on a number of occasions. There was this tidbit about an ESPN podcast in March, but I remember the same question being asked on TV broadcasts and the Maloofs always answering in the affirmative about wanting to keep Ron. Now you could say that Ron should have seen through the smokescreen or whatever, but I don't think that's fair. I'm sure they've had many candid conversations about this as well and Ron clearly got the impression that an extension was a possibility.
Vaguely saying they'd like for Ron to stay is a typical politcally correct answer that many teams' talking heads say to the media. How else are they supposed to answer? No, we want this dude out of here as fast as possible? That's hardly a promise of an extension; if that's what Artest is referring to, he has no one to blame but himself.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Vaguely saying they'd like for Ron to stay is a typical politcally correct answer that many teams' talking heads say to the media. How else are they supposed to answer? No, we want this dude out of here as fast as possible? That's hardly a promise of an extension; if that's what Artest is referring to, he has no one to blame but himself.
"I love Ron Artest... I hope he does not opt-out... and that we have an opportunity to resign him to a longterm contract"

That's not exactly vague is it? And if this is what Joe Maloof is saying publicly, what is he saying to Ron in private? Don't you think he's probably saying the same thing? And if someone told you that wouldn't you expect they'd offer you an extension when the opportunity came? No it's technically not a promise, but it's still duplicitous.

No it's technically not a promise, but it's still duplicitous.
Only if Joe Maloof is also speaking for Gavin, Geoff, and the rest of the FO. If anything should be obvious about Kings' management, it's that it's there are a lot of different, conflicting opinions involved.

And even then, what if Ron was expecting 5 years and $90M? Just because a Maloof was interested in re-signing him, doesn't mean that he was going to do so no matter what.

For those not able to listen basically he saw at midnight through today other oganizations taking care of their players. Opting in isn't working out in his favor. He puts himself in the class of the Chris Paul's and the Kobe Bryants and he see's those organizations taking care of the Baron Davis's the Elton Brand's the Chris Paul's, and he puts himself in that class, and he feels like he's not being taken care of by his organization.

Edit- He says it hasn't been made clear that he isn't in the Kings long term plans, so he's not considering that, but he is trying to look out for himself and his family. And, for those people that loved him yesterday and hate him today for trying to watch out for himself and his family, then he doesn't ever want you to love him again.

He's a competitor he can never second guess his skill and what he brings to the court. He sees other players making a run for that trophy and he just wants that. He does feel that he's not in the long term plans, and he just thinks he made a dumb mistake, but that's not on him. He still has love for Sacramento.

Edit-Carmichael Dave told Artest that Baron Davis will be signing with the Clips, and Artest didn't know that, and said really, and stumbled over himself and said see things like that. He still have love for people that understand where he's coming from, but if you are hating him, and bad mouthing him that's not what he was trying to cause. Playing this year out though is like a one night stand, he doesn't want that, he wants the long-teram commitment.

He could play the season out the way things are. He's fine, he's done it for years, he's been through so much. When asked if after this year we'd see him here or not, he said who knows. He doesn't want to get to deep into that right now.

Last edited:
For those not able to listen basically he saw at midnight through today other oganizations taking care of their players. Opting in isn't working out in his favor. He puts himself in the class of the Chris Paul's and the Kobe Bryants and he see's those organizations taking care of the Baron Davis's the Elton Brand's the Chris Paul's, and he puts himself in that class, and he feels like he's not being taken care of by his organization.
Oh, brother. Man, I wish we had just let Peja expire.

Ron is saying that he wants to be on the team and that if he had opted out, maybe he would have the long term commitment basically. Now he's not sure whether he'll be here or not.

How do you even fault this guy? It's so clear that he's completely out of his mind. It's sad that he's so lost and out of touch.

That being said, out he goes.

How do you even fault this guy? It's so clear that he's completely out of his mind. It's sad that he's so lost and out of touch.

That being said, out he goes.

What? He was basically told he would be here long term and get an extension by the Maloofs themselves. He is saying he LIKES Sacramento and he WANTS to be here. He just wanted a long term commitment and he sees other guys getting a ton of money.

i think i understand what he is saying but the way he goes about saying somethings just makes hime look really bad haha. although he never said he wants to be a KING... he kinda floated around the question.

Ron is saying that he wants to be on the team and that if he had opted out, maybe he would have the long term commitment basically. Now he's not sure whether he'll be here or not.
I highly doubt that, because no team with cap space was going to give him any bargaining power. He wouldn't have gotten anywhere near what those other guys are getting.

Hey Ron, where the hell have you taken the kings? One first round exit, an arrest, and two lotto appearances. You haven't done squat for this org. but hold our rebuilding effort back. Now, it's not your fault that you got traded here, but don't act like we owe you anything.

What? He was basically told he would be here long term and get an extension by the Maloofs themselves. He is saying he LIKES Sacramento and he WANTS to be here. He just wanted a long term commitment and he sees other guys getting a ton of money.
He's upset he's not getting treated like Kobe, Chris Paul, Baron, etc. Does he not realize that he made this bed. How can someone (in their right mind) not understand how his behavior in his career has led to this point? To me, that's someone out of touch with reality. I think he thinks someone would give him a contract like those other stars. Crazy.

I like Ron. I just think he's crazy. And he once again has hurt any leverage the Kings had in trading him. Welcome to the world of Ron.

But he also sounded like he approved of Baron Davis' deal, opting out and going elsewhere for a big contract, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.