Richaun Holmes Appreciation Thread

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I watched Holmes a lot before we picked him up so I knew we were getting a nice high energy guy. With that said, I mentioned I was most excited about the Dedmon deal and now I'm looking like a dummy.
I had concerns about whether Holmes’s high energy game would translate to starter minutes but thus far it hasn’t been an issue and he’s really settled into a key clue guy role in the vein of the one we had earmarked for Willie for four years.

Holmes is what I envisioned for WCS, energy and defense. Not a outside shooter but has great hands down low and after watching his dunks and work down low he needs to stay in the starting lineup.

I also believe that he just may have some foul trouble with certain centers and having our other center will be required.

I watched Holmes a lot before we picked him up so I knew we were getting a nice high energy guy. With that said, I mentioned I was most excited about the Dedmon deal and now I'm looking like a dummy.
Dedmon looked much better last night and I didn't watch the Utah game but I thought I heard that one as well. He definitely failed to impress early but I think once everyone has their role the team should play well again.

I think lost in a lot of the early Walton hate is that as far as I'm aware this is Igor's offense and they had not worked together prior to this season. One of the criticisms of his time in LA was that he handpicked his staff of buddies whereas I don't believe he was given as much latitude with the Kings staff.

I know some people dismiss the India theory because "The Lakers went to China" but they are a different beast. The Nets topped the "week one disappointments" lists right alongside Sacramento and Golden State. The Kings needed more time to put it all together. I have a feeling Dedmon won't be an anchor all season.

Still no doubt Holmes has been the early bright spot here. If everyone is playing to their ability by game 20, even with tempered expectations I think we'll be fun to watch.

I love this guy. Right down to his snarl and I'm-here-for-your-lunch body language. And yes, he's what many of us hoped WCS would be. So these are all positives and much to be excited about.
That said, Holmes may be limited offensively to dunks and put-backs. Yes, he's got the Koufus shot-put. But does he have any back-to-the-basket game? Is it something he works on? Seems like he could become a 20/10 contributor if he could just develop a basic back-to-the-basket game.
(I don't mean right now/this week; I'm thinking a bit more into the future...)

Love this guy. He’s way better than what I thought he would be. When Bagley comes back, he’s a good compliment to him too. Sure, not an outside shooter but he’s aggressive on D and rebounds hard. He’s got some nasty in him which is what you need to have to win games. We need him to start because we suck at rebounding otherwise.

to be fair, the Sixers were too busy waiting for Embiid to get healthy enough to play and finding new ways to tank to see what they had in Holmes when he was there.
I guess it did not help having Jahlil and Noel as well to compete against at the time but I was always surprised no other team made a move for him making less than 1mil at the time while guys like Faried were getting 10-15+mil deals, even Trevor Booker got nice deals and playing time for a long time and I don't think he's anywhere near the player Holmes is.

Thomas Bryant probably would have been in the same position as Holmes had he not been cut/traded from the Lakers to Washington just when Dwight got hurt and now he's considered one of the better starting C's, it's just strange how it all pans out.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’d like to know how Holmes had a decent year shooting 3’s in Philly. One year he made 27-77 for 35%. Has never approached those numbers again In % or just shooting them in general. Just seems odd.

I’d like to know how Holmes had a decent year shooting 3’s in Philly. One year he made 27-77 for 35%. Has never approached those numbers again In % or just shooting them in general. Just seems odd.
You have to actually be out past the 3-pt line to shoot 3s. I get the impression that the Suns didn't want him out there, they wanted him around the paint.

Bagley is out. Giles may never be in. Dedmon is over rated.
Our inside help has come from an unlikely source and an over looked player.
That is part of of what makes Holmes not just a good player but a great story.
He is the anti-Willie I have been looking for. Now I like Kings basketball again, because I get to watch him play.

Quincy Acy shot like 40% one year in Brooklyn and even our own Dedmon did the same thing last year it's odd but some examples of it are out there

Stealing this gif from StR because this is textbook defense from Holmes (also awesome help on the backend by Harrison and Ariza)
He’s been doing that since inserted into the starting lineup. It’s no coincidence to me that the team has gotten better defensively since he came into the starting lineup. He’s the center of the future for this team and he needs to be signed to a long term deal asap.

His help and pick n roll defense was some of the best I have ever seen tonight against the Hawks what a player the guy is a GOOD starting C, even when he's not putting up 20/10 he does everything else (rolls hard EVERYTIME/help defense/helps ball movement) just helps the team.

God I wish he was near Parker after he dunked over Bogi and was hanging on the rim a good shove in the back would have been great.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
His help and pick n roll defense was some of the best I have ever seen tonight against the Hawks what a player the guy is a GOOD starting C, even when he's not putting up 20/10 he does everything else (rolls hard EVERYTIME/help defense/helps ball movement) just helps the team.

God I wish he was near Parker after he dunked over Bogi and was hanging on the rim a good shove in the back would have been great.
I've never seen a player blitz and hedge a pick and roll that fast and aggressive since Kevin Garnett, maybe Holmes smaller frame and mobility is better than having a behemoth 7 footer trying to patrol the paint and try to block every short, espeically if you can force turnovers and start a break with some of the best guards in the NBA. Alot of fans saying our defense has been bad this year but I dont see it, I actually see improved pick and roll defense and interior and second efforts. Although some of our guards could learn how to get through some screens better our bench seems to have picked up the defensive slack and our actual problem seems to be scoring! What a twist

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Bagley is out. Giles may never be in. Dedmon is over rated.
Our inside help has come from an unlikely source and an over looked player.
That is part of of what makes Holmes not just a good player but a great story.
He is the anti-Willie I have been looking for. Now I like Kings basketball again, because I get to watch him play.
Bjelica and Barnes have been surprisingly good as well helping hold down the fort

After this season are we allowed to talk an extension with him? Do we get his birds after 2 seasons of him being under contract?

If your role-playing 5 can't space, you basically want him to do exactly what Richaun is doing right now. Drastically improving the defense, solid in the glass, low USG, but incredibly efficient offense.

His On/Off numbers are still hilarious:

ON Court: 225 minutes:

Offensive Rating:114.4
Defensive Rating: 108.6
Net Rating: +5.8

Off Court: 207 minutes:
Offensive Rating: 99
Defensive rating: 119.5
Net rating: -20.4

Total: +26.2

Still small samples with only 400+ minutes this season but essentially, we've been a solid playoff team with him on the court and then by far the worst team in the NBA with him off the court. Play (and pay) the man

After this season are we allowed to talk an extension with him? Do we get his birds after 2 seasons of him being under contract?

If your role-playing 5 can't space, you basically want him to do exactly what Richaun is doing right now. Drastically improving the defense, solid in the glass, low USG, but incredibly efficient offense.

Still small samples with only 400+ minutes this season but essentially, we've been a solid playoff team with him on the court and then by far the worst team in the NBA with him off the court. Play (and pay) the man
Inserting him in the starting lineup saved this season. The advanced stats match the eye test for me. It’s not surprising to me that they kept him on the floor to close out the Hawks when they benched Fox, Hield and Bjelica. Hopefully Bags is learning and watching Holmes on how to play defense.

It's going to be very, very interesting how the team performs with both him and Bagley on the floor together.

Holmes hasn't been paired with a PF who isn't known as a floor spacer. Holmes has played 226 minutes this year. Below are the minutes shared by his other teammates:

Harrison Barnes = 171
De'Aaron Fox = 163
Buddy Hield = 157
Nemanja Bjelica = 23
Bogdan Bogdanovic = 102
Trevor Ariza = 97
Cory Joseph = 64
Wenyen Gabriel = 13
Yogi Ferrell = 9
Caleb Swanigan = 3
Justin James = 3

How will his and the team's performance change when you paid a non-perimeter threat in Holmes with another big that is still working on developing his perimeter game? I'm predicting his overall on/off will look worse after Bagley gets back.

But this begs the question...if Holmes & Bagley on the floor together is not a successful team pairing, what do we do?

I have a hard time seeing Bagley's style of play helping a team win a lot of games right now. As a big, if you're not either a good shooter or a good defender, it's going to be hard for them to make a big impact. Holmes is a good defender & Bjelica is a good shooter. Both are helping the team win right now. Bagley doesn't do either one particularly well yet, but we're likely going to give him a heavy role on offense.