Report: Sam Cassell is a King

I disagree that the Maloofs tightening the purse strings is necessarily a bad thing. What it will do is force us to go with the young players, which is what a lot of us wanted... It's exciting to think of a game that will have Martin and Garcia as the oldest players on the court.

:)
I have to politely disagree with you VF…The problem that’s been bothering me is that (from the rumors) it suggests that the Kings just want to get ending contracts back. That isn’t rebuilding, that’s just dumping players (whether some of them have value or not).

The only trade that we got with good value was Ron’s – we got the expiring, the kid and a pick.

If we’re just going to dump John Salmons, I’m going to be seriously disappointed. And I’m no John fan but this guy has more value than an ender and I won’t accept it. I’d rather hold on to him (I hope not) if I means not getting screwed over by our own organization on a trade that doesn’t do anything for us except save us money. We have to get some sort of value.

Lets hope we get some new kids on our team before the deadline passes. That be very exciting.

On a more positive note: I’m much happier after hearing that Sam might not join the team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think there's a difference between tightening the purse strings and just dumping players... If we get expirings and draft picks for our rapidly-aging veterans, like Miller and Thomas, I'll be a very happy camper. I don't think John Salmons is one of the players I generally think of when you talk about moving the veterans.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see what this team decides to do. I do agree with the Miller and Thomas part – expiring and picks sound great for them….We’ve got until Thursday, hopefully they’ll surprise us (in a good way, lol)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I disagree that the Maloofs tightening the purse strings is necessarily a bad thing. What it will do is force us to go with the young players, which is what a lot of us wanted... It's exciting to think of a game that will have Martin and Garcia as the oldest players on the court.

:)
Been thinking the same thing. It's protecting the Maloofs from themselves. They definitely have the impulsive personalities to want a quick fix.

I agree, and honestly if all we did get is expirings I'd be more than happy as well. I think some people over-value how good our 'aging' players are to the rest of the league or under value how much the Maloofs have lost, the reported $20-25 million is pretty significant. I wouldn't hold it against them at alll if they turned half of our older players into expirings for this season to save themselves some money, it's not going to hurt us in any way... Chances are they aren't going to get us a great player in a trade either so why hold onto them until their contracts expire in '10, we aren't going to win any more games with them... We get rid of them, get faster expiring contracts for the players and our kids get to play more... It's really win-win, and if we happen to get another draft pick then great for us (Which would be the most realistic scenario with a Salmons to OKC) we could probably package both high 1st and move down and grab another lottery pick if we wanted...