Report: Kings finalizing sign and trade with Suns for Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day the Kings had no leverage. Everyone and their mother knew the Kings had no interest in re-signing Thomas. The Suns then frontloaded the deal to make it even more unlikely that they would match. An exception is basically the best we were going to get.

*This is of course why you never show your hand like the Kings did. They treated Thomas like an ugly stepchild basically, and every team knew they weren't going to need to give up anything to pry him away.

A trade exception is what we got. Essentially when you trade for another player when you're over the cap, your salary has to match within 10%.

So say we trade player x for player y and both teams are over or at the cap:

Player x on Kings - $5 mil/year
Player y on Mavs - $13 mil/year

This wouldn't be possible. HOWEVER, with the trade exception it is.

Player x on Kings - $5 mil/year + $7 mil trade exception ($12 mil total)
Player y on Mavs - $13 mil

They are within an acceptable range. Salary accepted.
Nope. You can't combine the exception with a player.

At the end of the day the Kings had no leverage. Everyone and their mother knew the Kings had no interest in re-signing Thomas. The Suns then frontloaded the deal to make it even more unlikely that they would match. An exception is basically the best we were going to get.

*This is of course why you never show your hand like the Kings did. They treated Thomas like an ugly stepchild basically, and every team knew they weren't going to need to give up anything to pry him away.
your right about this, i didnt like how they had it out in the open that they wanted to trade the pick, it brings the value of the asset down alot when people think your just trying to dump it.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Danny Ainge is being hailed as genius for executing his trade exemption trade with Cleveland this week.

I don't really see how this can't pan out down the road. At least we don't take back guys we don't want just to take something back. We aren't letting him walk for nothing, we get something back in return and I have to believe we will use it because we aren't in the Maloofs hands.

Alex Oriakhi

@ 1min 35sec thru the video:
"I'm looking to come in and do the dirty work, rebound, defend, I love being physical and the NBA is physical; this suits me very well. I feel I have a high monitor when it comes to rebounding and you need to have a motor to do that, especially for my position."

Danny Ainge is being hailed as genius for executing his trade exemption trade with Cleveland this week.

I don't really see how this can't pan out down the road. At least we don't take back guys we don't want just to take something back. We aren't letting him walk for nothing, we get something back in return and I have to believe we will use it because we aren't in the Maloofs hands.
exactly. It's a tool we can use. IT could have just signed the offer sheet and we wouldn't have ended up with anything.

Why are so many crying? We couldn't match any offers for him, and it's not like we completely owned his rights, so whatever we got you should be happy about it.

Anyone know if we can use the trade exception now or we have to wait?

The funny thing about this is he didn't want to be a sixth man for the Kings but is gonna end up being a sixth man on the Suns anyways. Good for him, he got paid. He deserves it. Not the answer for the Kings at PG in the long run but he worked his butt off to make the most of himself. He'll try his darndest to make the Kings pay 4 times a year. Makes me wonder what's gonna happen with Eric Bledsoe now.

Actually i am not even sure this pertains now that i am re-reading it. i think this pertains to combining exceptions.

87. Can exceptions be combined when making trades?

Only to a very limited extent -- teams can combine exceptions in the same trade if they are used on different players. Teams cannot combine exceptions in order to acquire one player. For example, a taxpaying team may trade a $5 million player for a $5.5 million player and two veterans earning approximately $1 million each on minimum-salary contracts. The minimum salary exception is used for the two minimum-salary players, and the $5.5 million player is acquired using the Traded Player exception ($5.5 million is within 125% plus $100,000 of $5 million). This is allowed because two exceptions were not combined to acquire any one player.

However, if that team has a $5 million player and a $1 million trade exception from a previous trade, it cannot add the trade exception to the 125% plus $100,000 margin from their $5 million player ($6.35 million), in order to trade for a player making $7 million. This cannot be done, as it would invoke using two exceptions on the same player.

If a team has two trade exceptions from previous non-simultaneous trades, they can't combine them into one larger trade exception. Suppose a team trades a $5 million player for a $4 million player (generating a $1 million trade exception) and separately trades a $3 million player for a $1 million player (generating a $2 million trade exception). They cannot combine the two into a single $3 million trade exception. A rule of thumb is that a trade exception can only be used to acquire a player making up to the amount of the exception plus $100,000.

(See question numbers 82 and 84 for more information on the Traded Player exception and non-simultaneous trades. See question number 85 for more information on the minimum salary exception.)

The legal combining of exceptions sometimes gives the appearance of teams getting away with illegal trades. For example, as detailed in question number 99, when a team is over the cap and acquires a player in trade, they cannot re-trade that player in combination with other players for two months. Technically, however, this applies only to players whose salaries are aggregated to acquire a more expensive player. For example, New Orleans acquired Jerryd Bayless from Portland on October 23, 2010, and traded him with Peja Stojakovic to Toronto on November 20, 2010. This trade did not violate the two-month rule because New Orleans did not aggregate the salaries of Bayless and Stojakovic to acquire any of the Toronto players.

Last edited:
Why are so many crying? We couldn't match any offers for him, and it's not like we completely owned his rights, so whatever we got you should be happy about it.

Anyone know if we can use the trade exception now or we have to wait?
Because it's another blown asset. We knew what we had on the books and clearly didn't plan on resigning him so why not move him at the deadline? The front office constantly seems to be reacting to team building instead of having some kind of plan and utilizing assets to reach that goal.

so the Suns are going to have like 30M tied up in the PG position after they sign Bledsoe. I won't hold my breath waiting for Lowe to question what the Suns are doing...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
hm. once again, i have to point to last season's trade deadline and say, "why not then?" that was the time to trade isaiah thomas, when you could get a useful player asset in return.
That would require having a plan for the future and being able to look down the road.

Right now, our FO seems incapable of that.

I didn't really want IT back, but I was also a huge proponent of trading him at the deadline and this is why.

S

Shabazz916

we cnt keep everyone.. if we cnt trade our bigs we gotta let IT go.. yeah he is a fan favorite.. but sports is a business and developmental situation... if we get to the ps nobody will be cryn

Status
Not open for further replies.