REPORT: Bucks To Chase After Kings' Bogdan Bogdanovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I believe you misunderstood me. I am not suggesting that a player drafted by Milwaukee might refuse to play for the Kings.

I am saying that because the draft comes before free agency, the Kings and the Bucks in principle can't talk to Bogdan before the draft about his free agency preferences. Neither team would know whether Bogdan wants to agree to a sign-and-trade with the Bucks prior to the #24 pick being made. This makes designing sign-and-trades that involve the #24 tricky, because the Bucks may not select a player the Kings want. The Kings could tell the Bucks who they want, but if the Bucks don't think a trade is likely, they might pick a different guy that the Kings aren't interested in. At that point, the Kings might decide that Milwaukee's return package isn't good enough, and not make a S&T.

Because they are over the salary cap and can't offer more than the MLE, and we'll obviously match that. With respect to a potential Bucks pursuit of Bogdan, the Kings have the overwhelming upper hand in the situation.
Typing with one hand after surgery, so bear with me. I agree completely with you. The Kings hold all the power in the case of either of their SG's, meaning no one can legally force their hand. As you stated, the Bucks are limited in what they can offer, making a sign and trade the most likely option of obtaining Bogi. Bogi was our 2nd best player in the bubble after Fox, so I'm not sure why the Kings would want to deal him. Not every player on your team has to be a superstar. Bogi is the kind of player that a superstar wants on the floor with him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ah I see. Well that's on me then for failing to do my research! At this point I just can't be bothered, but your consistent attention to detail is appreciated as always. That makes this a rather bizarre rumor. So Milwaukee has every intention of doing a thing that they currently are unable to do? Okay guys, excuse me while I try to unroll my eyes...

Also, I did look up Milwaukee's contract situation now and threw up in my mouth a bit when I saw how much they're paying Khris Middleton. If I'm in the Milwaukee front office and I just watched my unbeatable regular-season juggernaut get exposed in the playoffs yet again I would be worried about how I'm going to be able to afford an enormous MVP-worthy Giannis extension in the near future not dumping salary to free up space to then overpay a pretty good role-player. If the Bucks have now entered that awkward phase where they're actively sabotaging their own future in a desperate bid to convince the superstar they drafted and developed to stick around, they've already lost. I can't recall an example of this type of panic buying turning out well for an NBA executive. If Giannis is not going to commit to them long-term unless they can prove right now that they're a legit contender, they might be better off shopping him for max value and reshuffling the deck.
I think they missed Malcolm Brogdon far more than they expected. Not surprising that they're interested in a similar player like Bogdanovic.

The MLE is supposed to be about $9.7M, so call it $10M. In today's market, that's a steal for Bogdan. It doesn't matter that we've already got Buddy locked up, if Bogdan miraculously signed a contract for the MLE, we would have to instantly match it. We offered him an extension last offseason that started at like $15-16M if I recall, and he declined, so I'd say that him accepting an MLE is an unlikely turn of events anyway.
Maybe, but Buddy was thought to have signed a pretty favorable deal though as well but in the end you get back what you put in and this team has put nothing in with either of these two lately. Ten million if used as incorrectly as the pieces at that position have can go from steal to drain pretty quick. And again, if things don't work out then that's just another multi-year eight figure contract you have to move. Vlade was able to get out of Dedmons and Hills deals fairly effectively but it still caused drama. FO changes, percentages leaning on coaching changes down the line, it's too risky IMO.

Vlade should have held onto that cap space last summer, or at least some of it, because of that same type of risk and uncertainty. He went all in and watched it blow up in his face for the same reasons it did with his free agent spending a few years earlier. Unless they fully commit to Buddy and Bogdan playing starters minutes and together this won't work and I think the situation is past it already. At least far enough to not make sense to move one of the best catch and shoot players for chump change and/or re-sign a player that has never looked to have much chemistry next to Fox in Bogdan nor never really gotten the chance to develop it. With the way things have turned out, the Kings might be extremely lucky that Bogdan bluffed himself out of that extension. Not necessarily because of talent or capability, but situation.

I think they missed Malcolm Brogdon far more than they expected. Not surprising that they're interested in a similar player like Bogdanovic.
I wanted Brogdon. Had the Kings gone after Brogdon instead of Ariza, Desmond, and/or Joseph, Vlade would still be the GM.

This seems to be another case of a writer needing something to write about, and correctly identifying the Kings as being chum that they can scatter around however they'd like. If there is one thing we can say about our team it is that they are perfect for writing things about in the offseason.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Saw just now on hoopsrumors on Twitter, they put in a piece that the Bucks were comfirming their interest in Bogi but also were exploring taking on Barnes’ contract as well. What wasn’t made clear was if the Bucks talk was just internal or if they had reached out to Sacramento.

Havent looked at the roster for them but not Sure they have enough youngish assets to make this worthwhile for Sac beyond Divencenzo and ???

So if they want HB also (22 Mil) and S&T Bogie (15Mil) how to match salary?

They would have to get us to take Middleton (33Mil) ? (What an awful contract to take on)
Plus HB contract goes down each year(22,20.18) and Middleton goes up(33,35,38,40)

What if they gave us DDV (3Mil), Middleton (33M) and we get 2020 #24 Pick and their 2021 1st rd pick

Hmmmm it adds 86 mil in salary Middle for HB, but both good SF,
If we match Bogi sheet we are at 37m for HB and Bogie anyway
We are gonna loose Bogi anyway, but we get DDV and 2 picks?

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think that something to consider going forward is that many or most teams are not going to want to add salary because of the uncertainty of fans in the arenas and all that goes with COVID.......I think there is a better chance at a Bogi deal when not involving Barnes but who knows with the new GM.

I think that something to consider going forward is that many or most teams are not going to want to add salary because of the uncertainty of fans in the arenas and all that goes with COVID.......I think there is a better chance at a Bogi deal when not involving Barnes but who knows with the new GM.
I agree , I really cant imagine Kings taking on that much salary for middleton

So back to the DDV,Ersan, and #24 for S&T Bogie
Works for me

So if they want HB also (22 Mil) and S&T Bogie (15Mil) how to match salary?

They would have to get us to take Middleton (33Mil) ? (What an awful contract to take on)
Plus HB contract goes down each year(22,20.18) and Middleton goes up(33,35,38,40)

What if they gave us DDV (3Mil), Middleton (33M) and we get 2020 #24 Pick and their 2021 1st rd pick

Hmmmm it adds 86 mil in salary Middle for HB, but both good SF,
If we match Bogi sheet we are at 37m for HB and Bogie anyway
We are gonna loose Bogi anyway, but we get DDV and 2 picks?
Do you really think they’d punt on Middleton who is the only other offensive firepower that they have next to Giannis? Hmm I don’t see it tbh...but just me

I agree , I really cant imagine Kings taking on that much salary for middleton

So back to the DDV,Ersan, and #24 for S&T Bogie
Works for me
I don’t think that really moves the needle enough. You’d just be hoping donte or #24 could replicate Bogi level production for us and I think the fit and chemistry needs to be considered as well...

So per Brew Hoop:
We have heard about the interest in Bogdanovic, a ball-handling combo guard who could score, drive and play-make. Still, I’d remind readers that restricted free agents aren’t easy to acquire, and would require a sign-and-trade with the Bucks likely surrendering some value — unless they did Sacramento a solid and absorbed Harrison Barnes’s salary. He’s due $22M next season (gulp) but the contract really doesn’t seem that alarming when you see it’s descending and is around $20M and $18M the next two years.
Even if that’s somewhat of an overpay, Barnes proved he could fit well within a team concept as a fourth or fifth fiddle with the Golden State Warriors, and he would shut the door on Milwaukee’s revolving door of elder Power Forwards that retire or flee the league following their time under Bud. I would remind readers that even though this will be just Bogdanovic’s second contract, he just turned 28 in August. This contract will be for the prime of his career, but he doesn’t have a lot of likely upside left.

So somebody please tell me how Bucks can "do us a solid" and absorb Barnes and a S&T Bogie with no Salary back to us?

Ersan (7mil) and Hill (9 mil) not close to Barnes and Bogie.
They gonna send Bledsoe (17m) too?
Throw in DDV too (3mil) 36M total for HB 22M and 14m Bogie Hey that matches! - done deal

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
And the rumors show you where the trade market will likely be when it comes to the Kings pieces. The Bucks think they can get Barnes and Bogdan cheap and let the Kings to take on salary in the process. Congrats Kings, you've backed yourself into a nice, tight, and interesting corner this time.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And the rumors show you where the trade market will likely be when it comes to the Kings pieces. The Bucks think they can get Barnes and Bogdan cheap and let the Kings to take on salary in the process. Congrats Kings, you've backed yourself into a nice, tight, and interesting corner this time.
It's no corner at all. The Bucks, or perhaps more precisely Bucks fans and Bucks journalists, think they can cheat the Kings. So what? If a guy comes up to me randomly on the street and offers to buy my car (which is not even advertised for sale) for $20, has he backed me into a corner? Or do I blow him off?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
It's no corner at all. The Bucks, or perhaps more precisely Bucks fans and Bucks journalists, think they can cheat the Kings. So what? If a guy comes up to me randomly on the street and offers to buy my car (which is not even advertised for sale) for $20, has he backed me into a corner? Or do I blow him off?
It still speaks to the overall value involved. And I guess we'll find out what McNair does. I think this more than anything speaks to the potential value of the Kings other assets as well. And yes, that could very much be a problem depending on where this heads and why simply holding onto talent might be just setting this thing back a few more years in a worst case. Hopefully this GM group is watching league trends and understands what they are dealing with in terms of critical pieces moving forward.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/bucks-eyeing-bogdan-bogdanovic-victor-oladipo/ar-BB1aN6mo

Possible trade scenario:
  • Sacramento Kings receive: Ersan Ilyasova, Eric Bledsoe, Donte DiVincenzo, 24th pick in 2020 NBA Draft
  • Milwaukee Bucks receive: Harrison Barnes, Bogdan Bogdanovic
The above trade could be appealing to both teams. Milwaukee lands a strong guard, who averaged 15.1 points this season on 44 percent shooting and hit 37.2 percent from beyond the arc, and a reliable forward in Barnes.
In exchange, the Kings acquire the No. 24 pick to land some young talent, Ilyasova’s expiring contract and bolster their bench with DiVincenzo. While they take on Bledsoe’s contract ($25 million over the next two seasons), he is owed just $3.9 million in 2022 compared to Barnes’ $18.35 million guaranteed.

While I would take this scenario, I dont see how the salaries could match Ersan 7m, Bledsoe 17m, DDV 3 m only 27m vs
HB 22m and S&T Bogie 15m is 37M ?

dude12

Hall of Famer
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/bucks-eyeing-bogdan-bogdanovic-victor-oladipo/ar-BB1aN6mo

Possible trade scenario:
  • Sacramento Kings receive: Ersan Ilyasova, Eric Bledsoe, Donte DiVincenzo, 24th pick in 2020 NBA Draft
The above trade could be appealing to both teams. Milwaukee lands a strong guard, who averaged 15.1 points this season on 44 percent shooting and hit 37.2 percent from beyond the arc, and a reliable forward in Barnes.
In exchange, the Kings acquire the No. 24 pick to land some young talent, Ilyasova’s expiring contract and bolster their bench with DiVincenzo. While they take on Bledsoe’s contract ($25 million over the next two seasons), he is owed just $3.9 million in 2022 compared to Barnes’ $18.35 million guaranteed.

While I would take this scenario, I dont see how the salaries could match Ersan 7m, Bledsoe 17m, DDV 3 m only 27m vs
I’d love to have Bledsoe. This means we probably move Hield for a SF or PF....right? We would have a glut of guards and very thin at SF

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Sometimes teams can do some tricky stuff like split it out into two trades that each work but here I can't see a way on a first pass to make any trickery that would allow the deal as suggested to work under the cap.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...o-be-overpaid-in-2020-free-agency/ar-BB1aSCfT

Bertans and Bogdanovic are also high-quality third or fourth options who could be paid like secondary stars. They served similar roles on teams that failed to make the playoffs, but at 28 years old, there is reason to believe they could be foundational pieces of far better teams in the right situation. Both are snipers, the former a stretch forward and the latter a 6-foot-6 wing, and those are valuable commodities in this era — valuable enough for teams with cap space to become convinced they are worth overpaying.

if Bogdan is really favored to get Overpaid by teams with cap space, I dont think Kings will match a big offer sheet

Forget about a HB deal with the Bucks, we need get some Value in a S & T or we will not end up with anything!

Ersan, Hill, DDV is 19.6M in salary and 24thpick for S&T Bogie (for an overpd 17-19M) and 2 2nd Rd Picks Sound good to me

We get DDV and 24th youth, Ersan gone after 1 day, Hill only 1 year , Bucks get tax relief, Bogie gets overpaid and goes to contender Everybody Wins!!

Last edited:

Possible trade scenario:

No thanks to that one. Bucks garbage. A they wish kind of thing for sure.

Kevin O'Connor @KevinOConnorNBA
Sources: The Bucks will pursue a sign-and-trade for Kings restricted free agent Bogdan Bogdanovic. He'd be another huge addition following the addition of Jrue Holiday. The Hawks will also pursue Bogdanovic, but the Bucks can sell him on competing for a championship with Giannis.

David Aldridge @davidaldridgedc
One of the three firsts Milwaukee is sending New Orleans in the Jrue Holiday trade is the Bucks’ first-rounder in Wednesday’s draft (number 24 overall), per league sources. The Pelicans already have the 13th overall pick in the first round.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kevin O'Connor @KevinOConnorNBA
Sources: The Bucks will pursue a sign-and-trade for Kings restricted free agent Bogdan Bogdanovic. He'd be another huge addition following the addition of Jrue Holiday. The Hawks will also pursue Bogdanovic, but the Bucks can sell him on competing for a championship with Giannis.

David Aldridge @davidaldridgedc
One of the three firsts Milwaukee is sending New Orleans in the Jrue Holiday trade is the Bucks’ first-rounder in Wednesday’s draft (number 24 overall), per league sources. The Pelicans already have the 13th overall pick in the first round.
They literally have no cap space and no draft assets left. Aside from DiVincenzo they have no real young pieces of worth either.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
They literally have no cap space and no draft assets left. Aside from DiVincenzo they have no real young pieces of worth either.
Seroiusly. It looks like they would have literally zero option but to send us Brook Lopez. Do we want 3 years and $40M of Brook Lopez? Because they don't have any picks to send us. Bucks may not realize it takes two to tango.

Status
Not open for further replies.