Regarding closure of playoff threads

The Players are about to cross a line in the sand. But this is not the Alamo and Lebron is not Colonel William Travis.
In the closed thread there were comments of the player's union never backing down. That the league needs them more than they need the league. That is true. This is different. Do they need the fans more than the fans need them? I am not sure if baseball ever fully recovered from their work stoppages. I personnally stopped caring.

At the end of the day, for me, basketball is entertainment. It is not the only form of entertainment out there. At what point will it be put on the back burner and replaced? At this point I am still vested. But the team I root for is increasingly making it more difficult. I have to wonder where the average fans breaking point is. The average Joe has other issues pressing them....... our new norm is uncharted territory.

I hope I am properly keeping everything in the context of the NBA.

I haven't followed the back and forth in the Eastern and Western playoff threads, so forgive me if I'm repeating something that has already been "discussed" (apparently "raging" may be a be better word).

The one thing I don't understand is what Lebron means by substantial action from the owners in order to avoid a cancellation? There are like 30 ownership groups with vastly different outside businesses, interests, and political orientations. The only thing where I think there may be some common ground is money--where the owners agree to send X-amount to a cause/the election/some new NBA initiative, if the players agree to do the same?

I understand the threads were closed due to what can happen. But just wanted to say compared to other sites, our posters, though disagreeing, seemed more civil when debating or arguing there side. Maybe it’s us following the rules, mods effectively doing their jobs and editing, or we’re just a better forum :p, but it’s nice seeing diff points of views without seeing a bunch of politics, “gtfo”, “you’re an idiot”, “you’re a racist” “If he would have listened...”etc every few posts.

I haven't followed the back and forth in the Eastern and Western playoff threads, so forgive me if I'm repeating something that has already been "discussed" (apparently "raging" may be a be better word).

The one thing I don't understand is what Lebron means by substantial action from the owners in order to avoid a cancellation? There are like 30 ownership groups with vastly different outside businesses, interests, and political orientations. The only thing where I think there may be some common ground is money--where the owners agree to send X-amount to a cause/the election/some new NBA initiative, if the players agree to do the same?
I like that, 'if the players agree to do the same.' There is a business split in revenue. How dare one side tell the other how to spend their portion. Match or at least on the same ratio as the split, that is much more acceptable.

The one thing I don't understand is what Lebron means by substantial action from the owners in order to avoid a cancellation?
There are like 30 ownership groups with vastly different outside businesses, interests, and political orientations. The only thing where I think there may be some common ground is money--where the owners agree to send X-amount to a cause/the election/some new NBA initiative, if the players agree to do the same?
I dont think it actually means anything TBH. LBJ lost his credibility over the Honk Kong fiasco showing he can be bought for the right price. A few weeks ago the NBA pledged millions of dollars to "black communities" already so the league has already done its contribution showing their solidarity with the players. I dont think this was thought out properly.

I dont think it actually means anything TBH. LBJ lost his credibility over the Honk Kong fiasco showing he can be bought for the right price. A few weeks ago the NBA pledged millions of dollars to "black communities" already so the league has already done its contribution showing their solidarity with the players. I dont think this was thought out properly.
But that was the NBA, this is the owners he is talking about. Everybody has to pay...... on top of a season that is already hemorrhaging money. Not that I have much financial sympathy for any of those parties.

At the end of the day, for me, basketball is entertainment. It is not the only form of entertainment out there. At what point will it be put on the back burner and replaced? At this point I am still vested. But the team I root for is increasingly making it more difficult. I have to wonder where the average fans breaking point is. The average Joe has other issues pressing them....... our new norm is uncharted territory.

I hope I am properly keeping everything in the context of the NBA.
This is true. At the end of the day, basketball players are just human beings who have their breaking point as well. Players are fully functioning humans with emotions, flaws and individual personalities. They have other pressing issues besides putting on a show for people. I personally can take off a few days from basketball while human beings sort out their emotions and decide what their next steps will be.

Why does everybody have to pay?
Okay. I probably wasn't clear. I was being sarcastic. A earlier post had mentioned that the NBA had pledged millions. I don't remember what article it was but I was given the impression that Lebron wanted the owners themselves to do something themselves. Everybody has to pay was referring to both the owners AND the NBA not the average fan. Lebron is flexing his muscles.

This is true. At the end of the day, basketball players are just human beings who have their breaking point as well. Players are fully functioning humans with emotions, flaws and individual personalities. They have other pressing issues besides putting on a show for people. I personally can take off a few days from basketball while human beings sort out their emotions and decide what their next steps will be.
I am still posting so I am still vested. But just like the players and just like the fans, I don't know if anybody really knows how this is going to play out between the fans, the teams and the players. A broken relationship is hard to mend, if it is broken in the first place (and if it is/isn't or will/won't be I don't know)

Apparently the games are going to go on ...... I'm glad. No need to push the limits whatever they may be between the fans and the game.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Apparently the games are going to go on ...... I'm glad. No need to push the limits whatever they may be between the fans and the game.

Here's Woj's tweet in case anybody wants to click in. He follows up to say that today's games will remain postponed, but games are expected to resume either tomorrow or this weekend.

Okay. I probably wasn't clear. I was being sarcastic. A earlier post had mentioned that the NBA had pledged millions. I don't remember what article it was but I was given the impression that Lebron wanted the owners themselves to do something themselves. Everybody has to pay was referring to both the owners AND the NBA not the average fan. Lebron is flexing his muscles.
Thanks, it's difficult to pick up on the subtleties online sometimes.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Smart move by the players to play. Not finishing this season at this point in time would have been equal parts “sending a message“ and also damaging to the NBA product. Damaging as in collective bargaining agreement, tv deals, etc. They do need the NBA platform to continue their message.

Smart move by the players to play. Not finishing this season at this point in time would have been equal parts “sending a message“ and also damaging to the NBA product. Damaging as in collective bargaining agreement, tv deals, etc. They do need the NBA platform to continue their message.
I honestly don’t think there was any doubt that they wouldn’t play

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I was all for a walkout yesterday. Would have had to most impact NOW. But what of their platform if there was an extended fallout if they did? Would it be worth it for just the now?

A good decision to continue after the heat of last night.

Curious to see what the ratings look like from here on out.
In this case, it might actually bump ratings to see how the teams come out.

If I am a Milwaukee player, I might just be a little pissed at the Magic. The Magic, IMHO, were completely tone deaf. The Bucks were up 3-1 by forfeiting the game they make it 3-2. 3-1 and the series is pretty much over, 3-2? That would be sending a strong message to the team AND the State. But no, the Magic had to go and pee on their parade. Instead the "protest" lost most of it's effectiveness and in some ways became more of a joke. Doesn't matter what I think either way about the matter, the statement they were trying to give was anything but a joke. And the Magic should have respected that.