Rate the draft!

What grade do you give Monte McNair for his first draft?

• C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • D

• E

• F

• Incomplete

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
With draft night done and free agency starting in less than two days, let’s make harsh premature judgements about our franchise’s future prospects!

I am very happy tonight. Good pics all three of them could be great players but a couple of them are two of the best interviews and smart players

It’s an A for me. Haliburton is a fantastic fit next to Fox. The best teams are always filled with high iq guys and we never seem to have more than one at a time. I can’t wait to watch him sling passes to teammates! I don’t know enough about the second rounders to comment but they were highly regarded on several sites. Competent FO with an analytical approach looks good so far.

Need to wait on the 40th pick to become officially ours. I probably give an A if it is, get a good second next year too.

Annoyed about Cash considerations for our 52 to a 55-60 next year.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
For what it was A. Fox/Haliburton I don't think is necessarily totally complimentary but it's better than the other rumored options and shouldn't completely implode. A dual 190 pounds of fury here we come! haha. If they stick with Buddy, Tyrese is the type of play maker they've been looking for off the bench. Then he could ease his way into things while he hopefully adds about 25 pounds of muscle. haha.

Its the best draft in Sacramentos history, and Ive followed them all. To have a player of Haliburtons caliber fall to us at 12 when no one thought he’d possibly be there and then his reply after the selection is pure magic. No concerns about fit, he and Fox will figure it out.
Im thinking our 2nd rounders are really promising as well. Woodards comparisons and strength have me believing in time he will match up well against some of the leagues big SF’s.. l hope.
Im happy to drive Bogdan out of town compensation or not. New era.. A+

This is the first year in quite a while that I just didn’t pay enough attention to college ball or do any research on the draft.

So I can’t offer an educated opinion or grade. But I have enjoyed reading everyones reaction to the selections the KINGS made.

The more I see and learn about Tyrese Haliburton, the more I like.

Need to wait on the 40th pick to become officially ours. I probably give an A if it is, get a good second next year too.

Annoyed about Cash considerations for our 52 to a 55-60 next year.
Don't forget we also get the lesser of Detroit or Chicago's 2022 2nd rounder. So likely #40-44 in 2022 for #52 in 2020 plus the Laker's pick.

They didn't draft a plodding center or old school power forward, so I'm happy.

Haliburton looks like the perfect player for today's nba, and can slide right into Bogi's minutes.

Woodward can learn from Barnes, and can compete for backup minutes if they don't re-sign Baze.

Ramsey is younger and seems to be more athletic than James, so depending on his bench enthusiasm could be a total upgrade too.

I gave "A" not because I know anything, don't, because I have a bleating of hope again. Now for them not to squash that in free agency. Youth that can grow together......

Love the picks.

I could quibble a bit and say that had we stayed at 35 a combo of Elijah Hughes and Jordan Nwora might have been my preference. Or that Paul Reed (who is an analytics darling and does a bit of everything, especially on defence) was worth a flyer at #52.

But Haliburton is a fantastic compliment to Fox. He provides a lot of what made Bogi a good fit with De'Aaron (secondary ballhander, passing, shooting, feel for the game) but Tyrese is younger, a better passer, and will likely be a very good defender in time. As long as Buddy is a King, there's a very solid three guard rotation.

Woodard is a high floor, low ceiling guy who I'd be really surprised if he doesn't carve out a long NBA career. Good defender, improving shooter and a guy who does the little things.

Ramsey is an upside pick. Some very solid tools but lots of areas of development. Good shooter but poor shot selection. Shows flashes on defense but is better off ball than on where he's inconsistent and has poor fundamentals. Is more of a momentum athlete than an explosive one. Needs to tighten his handle and work on his left hand. Not much of a playmaker at all So a lot to work on, but his upside if he develops is as a microwave/6th man scorer who also provides very good defense.

On paper McNair & co had a very solid first draft. So much more work to do but it's encouraging to think that we might have a good front office for the first time in a very long time.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I don't think I've ever given Sacramento an A draft grade.... maybe the year we drafted Cousins and Whiteside, I was very high on that draft as well. I like this one more. It's easy to see where all three of these guys fit either with our current roster or as part of a rebuild. We needed a backup PG, we needed a full size wing who can defend, we needed more playmaking and we got all three of those things. Fantastic. All three of these guys can shoot. Woodard finally gives us a plus defender on the wing. Haliburton is such a unique player. It's not often you see a pass first guard with his size and shooting ability and defensive length and feel. I hope the jumper is for real. The form looks funky but he still made threes at an elite rate over two years so there's reason to believe he'll continue to make them.

These guys have their weaknesses as well but we got all of them with lower picks than they were projected and they all have very apparent strengths that should give them a role on any team in the league. And we managed to stash a little draft capitol for the future while we were at it. That's how you work a draft. Nice work McNair! If the Bogi trade to Milwaukee eventually goes through too my expectations for this season will have gone up considerably.

I think most of us are probably in agreement that if Haliburton doesn't work out, there's going to be no one to blame and it's just going to be pure bad luck. We can't blame McNair, Vivek or call it Kangz because we're almost in unison on Haliburton being the best player available at 12.

I think most of us are probably in agreement that if Haliburton doesn't work out, there's going to be no one to blame and it's just going to be pure bad luck. We can't blame McNair, Vivek or call it Kangz because we're almost in unison on Haliburton being the best player available at 12.
We'll see about that in 2 years. LOL. We're Kings fans. It's always someone's fault.

Its the best draft in Sacramentos history, and Ive followed them all. To have a player of Haliburtons caliber fall to us at 12 when no one thought he’d possibly be there and then his reply after the selection is pure magic. No concerns about fit, he and Fox will figure it out.
Im thinking our 2nd rounders are really promising as well. Woodards comparisons and strength have me believing in time he will match up well against some of the leagues big SF’s.. l hope.
Im happy to drive Bogdan out of town compensation or not. New era.. A+
Preliminary opinion is that this is the best draft in our history. Good value at every position, good fits for the team, no real issues anywhere. Haliburton needs to improve in certain areas, but getting him at 12 is the type of luck we've never really had in Sacramento.

Legit question: if this is a poor draft, why did nbadraft.net rate every one of the first 15 picks as either an A or a B in their post-draft analysis?

https://www.nbadraft.net/2020-nba-draft-instant-analysis/
Eh, draft grades the next day only really indicate if the slot where a player was drafted jives with where the person grading thinks they should've been drafted.

Although it would be funny to see draft grades of all C's and D's with most of the comments being that it's a weak draft.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Fox? Was there any significant disagreement on that one? I don't remember there being much, but maybe there was....
Not about the Fox pick. The vast majority were ecstatic we landed Fox but there was some consternation regarding the rest of the draft. Opinions were pretty mixed about the decision to trade down from 10 and take Justin Jackson and Harry Giles.

from the little knowledge I have it was less a poor draft, and more a draft without many guys with big star potential.
True. This was a good draft to stock up on role players on rookie contracts.

If there are all-stars to come out of this draft it will mean guys addressed some significant holes or question marks in their games.

If I was forced to bet on a guy to become an all-star I honestly don't know.

Fox? Was there any significant disagreement on that one? I don't remember there being much, but maybe there was....
Definitely not in Downtown. I was at a watch party (pretty sure it was Carmichael Dave's, but it was so crowded I am not totally sure) and the Fox chants were some of the loudest I've ever heard. The celebration in the streets after that pick is definitely one of my top Sacramento memories.