Randolph arrested

Former Memphis Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph could face similar penalties ex-teammate O.J. Mayo received in terms of being banned from the NBA for violation of the league's anti-drug policy.

Randolph was arrested Wednesday and charged with “intent to sell” marijuana in Los Angeles. TMZ reported it was two pounds of marijuana.

The league’s collective bargaining agreement with the players’ association says a player will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, no contest or nolo contendere to, a crime involving the felony distribution of marijuana.

Mayo was dismissed and disqualified from the NBA in 2016 for violating the terms of the league's anti-drug program, the first player to receive that punishment in a decade

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...-nba-if-convicted-marijuana-charge/560838001/

So even if a plea deal keeps him out of jail, if felony distribution still there, sounds like his career and his 2 yr contract with us is Toast

If I'm the judge and jury, of course. But we all know there is virtually zero chance he is innocent of these charges. Many of us are just operating on that assumption, which, as citizens, we have a right to do. And as fans (or as hypothetical GMs as many of us act) of a franchise trying to repair our reputation, I'd argue the Kings have an OBLIGATION to sever ties with Randolph as SOON as legally possible. Courts operate by law. Businesses operate by profit. Fans operate by emotion. Randolph operated (apparently) in his own interest.

He didn't even need the money. He was distributing (allegedly) for the fun of it, and to be "the man". Smoking weed would have been much more forgivable, from a mentorship perspective. But since his role was to be an elder, you CANNOT have a guy who goes through all the effort to develop a DISTRIBUTION NETWORK for weed when he does not need the money, and there is so much risk to his reputation. It is a colossally bad decision, and that's the real issue here. He is simply not what we thought we were getting, again, if the charges are true.

Nobody is feeling sorry for the guy who has made tens of millions of dollars and set his family up for generations.
You make a reasonable case for his innocence of anything more than hosting a party, you know, like buying a half a beef and serving it to your group of friends. It may not be true but it is feasible and a generous thing to do.

I don't agree that " we all know it must be true (guilty of a felony)". We don't have to "know" at this point, we can't know at this point. We will learn what prosecutor, jury and judge determine in due time. I really don't know f he is guilty of this or any other felony.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...I appreciate that Randolph appears to have done something stupid and illegal. And if he has, there will be major consequences. But can't we all take a breath before declaring him guilty based (only) on charges that have been filed? Charges have to be proven. Until they are (proven), they do not substitute for facts.
The presumption of innocence does not extend to battle-weary Kings fans who have been down this road one too many times, me thinks.

Former Memphis Grizzlies forward Zach Randolph could face similar penalties ex-teammate O.J. Mayo received in terms of being banned from the NBA for violation of the league's anti-drug policy.

Randolph was arrested Wednesday and charged with “intent to sell” marijuana in Los Angeles. TMZ reported it was two pounds of marijuana.

The league’s collective bargaining agreement with the players’ association says a player will be dismissed and disqualified from the NBA if he is convicted of, or pleads guilty, no contest or nolo contendere to, a crime involving the felony distribution of marijuana.

Mayo was dismissed and disqualified from the NBA in 2016 for violating the terms of the league's anti-drug program, the first player to receive that punishment in a decade

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...-nba-if-convicted-marijuana-charge/560838001/

So even if a plea deal keeps him out of jail, if felony distribution still there, sounds like his career and his 2 yr contract with us is Toast
Usually, these athletes have heavy weight lawyers. I doubt he will be charged with a felony.

He will probably bargain down to a misdemeanor and get a slap on the wrists.

The Kings may be hoping the NBA voids the contract, to get them off the hook, but I doubt it happens. A lengthy suspension by the NBA may happen, but I can't see the NBA banning him, if he is not convicted of a felony.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

But a plea deal would be for a reduced charges, therefore almost certainly not felony distribution.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, I go off to Gonzaga bay with my daughter, grandson, and a couple of friends, where there is no TV or Wi Fi, and I come back to this. Very sad. Even when the Kings try to do the right thing, somehow it blows up in their face. I'm willing to give Randolph the benefit of the doubt until it's proved that he's guilty. However, at the very least. he's guilty of bad judgement. If he's the one that was having the party, then he obviously invited some people he shouldn't have. I hope for his sake he's innocent, but I have a very bad feeling about this one.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
But a plea deal would be for a reduced charges, therefore almost certainly not felony distribution.
My question is, even though he might get reduced charges in a plea deal, does the NBA have some latitude in the penalty's. Might they still suspend him even though the courts decided to go with reduced charges?

It's interesting because a plea deal would likely result in pleading to something that will be legal shortly. So there's even some chance it all just goes away, but I suspect he'd still get a not insignificant suspension.

If it was the NFL he'd already be suspended indefinitely and probably get half the season. I'm thinking he'll wind up around 8 games? Assuming he is able to make it go away quick.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
My question is, even though he might get reduced charges in a plea deal, does the NBA have some latitude in the penalty's. Might they still suspend him even though the courts decided to go with reduced charges?
It's tough for me to see a scenario where he doesn't get (at least) suspended. Unless he can convince the court that the pot was not his nor in his possession, then whatever the final disposition will be it will include "had two pounds of pot". Even if that's a misdemeanor, it will be a hefty suspension from the league. I can't recall anybody getting caught with so much, so I can't really say how big. In fact, I can't find any instances of a player being suspended by the NBA for possession at all, so it's completely wide open as far as precedent goes. Damon Stoudamire, after the infamous pot-in-aluminum-foil-at-the-airport-scanner incident was given a three-month suspension by the Blazers, but nothing additional from the NBA from what I can tell. One would note that he was caught with only a bit over an ounce of pot in that case, but it was also not a first offense for Damon (he and 'Sheed had pled out of a misdemeanor after being caught in a vehicle with less than one ounce, and there was another incident where he was caught with an unknown amount at home that was invalidated due to an illegal search).

Obviously as Jkbiker pointed out, felony distribution is one-strike-and-you're-out. That appears to be what Randolph is currently charged with. He will clearly fight that. But if he pleas down, I just don't know what kind of suspension/penalty he might see.

It's interesting because a plea deal would likely result in pleading to something that will be legal shortly. So there's even some chance it all just goes away, but I suspect he'd still get a not insignificant suspension.
Well, regardless of whether it's legal in California or not, the NBA still bans usage of marijuana. I don't think the league will consider state-by-state differences in legality when they hand out whatever they hand out.

If it was the NFL he'd already be suspended indefinitely and probably get half the season. I'm thinking he'll wind up around 8 games? Assuming he is able to make it go away quick.
Sort of... IF he is offered a plea to simple possession of more than 28 G that would be a misdemeanor. Current state law allows for possession of less than 28 G and that does not change. As of 2018 the SALE of weed becomes legal with in certain parameters but certainly not out of a backpack on the street without a license. So the most likely deal is Misdemeanor possession with a suspended sentence, mandatory counseling and fine, but that is no where near a lock.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Even though this might be the last we see of Z-bo, I can't really hate on Vlade for the signing.

Z-Bo is one of Joerger's guys. Memphis freaking loves him. By all accounts he really turned it around from his Jailblazer days. This was kinda hard to predict. Especially with the way a lot of goofballs mellow when they're out of their 20s (this applies to people of all stripes, not just NBA players).

The whole situation is pretty #kangz and amusing to me. I didn't have expectations for next season anyways, so oh well.... more time for Papa G! Haha

Last edited:
I don't attribute this to #Kangz. This is Z. Randolph a grown man who was doing so something so incredibly stupid. It's on him period. I hope he gets the O.J Mayo treatment from the league.
He better, or that contract is going to have to be answered by someone (nevermind how I personally feel about the direction of it). 24 million dollars, and another blight

Even though this might be the last we see of Z-bo, I can't really hate on Vlade for the signing.

Z-Bo is one of Joerger's guys. Memphis freaking loves him. By all accounts he really turned it around from his Jailblazer days. This was kinda hard to predict. Especially with the way a lot of goofballs mellow when they're out of their 20s (this applies to people of all stripes, not just NBA players).

The whole situation is pretty #kangz and amusing to me. I didn't have expectations for next season anyways, so oh well.... more time for Papa G! Haha

I'm assuming you're joking about that but I'm sure there are alot of people on this board that actually think it. Papa G is so not ready for more time.

Do we get our money back if he gets kicked out of the NBA?

Sort of... IF he is offered a plea to simple possession of more than 28 G that would be a misdemeanor. Current state law allows for possession of less than 28 G and that does not change. As of 2018 the SALE of weed becomes legal with in certain parameters but certainly not out of a backpack on the street without a license. So the most likely deal is Misdemeanor possession with a suspended sentence, mandatory counseling and fine, but that is no where near a lock.
I was thinking along the lines of somehow part of the plea is they reduce the amount carried. I dunno, like a speeding ticket where you are 20 over and they wind up reducing it to 5 over kind of deal.

He's going to have the highest powered attorney available so we'll see. Watch it all get pinned on the other dude.

Some people here are mocking you, but this was my experience with it (early 80's - and that was relatively crappy weed). Made me dumber and hungry. The groupthink these days (and this current era is so susceptible to groupthink it is astonishing - they think they are free thinkers but oh wow what a herd it is) ... is to defend it but nobody can tell me that when I was stoned, I wasn't freaking stoned. Stupid. Functioned lower, had munchies, strained not to giggle during field sobriety tests. It didn't exactly lead to harder stuff - and it is not worse than alcohol .... but it didn't exactly enhance my ambition either. And people who deny those effects I think are just completely dishonest.

PS I wish the stubborn old stoners at concerts could just eat the stuff in brownies or something... it's so completely inconsiderate to create indoor fumes whether it is tobacco, pot, incense or sage for that matter. Come on stoners - put it brownies and lollipops and let me be.
Ha ha funny PS there, John G.

Weed affects people differently. Some people handle dairy for example because they have lactase enzyme that breaks down lactose. Others don't have the enzyme (post infancy) and become lactose intolerant. It is not the perfect parallel of course but based on someone's genetic constitution and predisposition I think they have an adverse or pleasant experience with weed or somewhere in between. I don't care for it and agree it is demotivating substance. And I think it makes you dumber. I pride myself in my intelligence. I want to to add to my brain cells (neurogenesis) not subtract from this incalculable number ! ;)

I have known people who love weed and I am like....why? The smell is okay. I am not as averse to it as you but don't actively want to inhale it. I know there are different strands but it is more miss than hit for me. Pass! I would rather have a frozen strawberry or passion fruit margarita with sugar on the rim. Served with side of warm tortilla chips and salsa now we are talking :)

Back to the esteemed backpack carrying Z-BO, the real issue prospectively is was the 35 year old dude who dresses like he is 15 years old dealing??? I had this thought trying to get into his head and bear with me because it may sound far fetched but could have merit. Let's presume Z-BO is a strong advocate of marijuana use. A safe presumption I would say. What if he thought he was doing the projects in the neighborhood a favor my dealing my weed to those interested. What if he thought he was doing a public service for the community at a small profit???? What if he got a little natural high off the dealing of drugs and the emotional connection through consummation of a deal???

Watts is a high crime area. A lot of gang activity. Is is possible Z-BO thinks by providing substance to calm nerves and take the edge off, he thinks he can quell the violent tendencies of the more extreme contingent??? I am presenting this from the perspective of chronic user (Z-BO) and how his love for weed would lead to the rational believe that others are in need of this substance for their emotional betterment.

My last thought on this matter is even if he was actively dealing, which I believe he was based on circumstantial evidence, i.e. two pounds of pot equivalent to 2000 joints, is that almost NO ONE speaks to the cops under these circumstances, so if someone participated in a drug deal, it will be extremely difficult for witness or participant to attest to this fact. Cops are the unfortunately viewed as the enemy when they are just trying to keep the peace. So even if Randolph was guilty of dealing, a prosecution and conviction is unlikely.

Here I was set to create a new thread about "Projective Competitiveness in 2017-18" and instead I am talking about two pounds of weed in the middle of August....good times! :rolleyes:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...Here I was set to create a new thread about "Projective Competitiveness in 2017-18" and instead I am talking about two pounds of weed in the middle of August....good times! :rolleyes:
Create the thread. :) I'd much rather read people arguing about our potential competitiveness than have to be continually reminded that being a professional athlete doesn't necessarily mean the individual so honored has the brainpower necessary to handle it properly.

Create the thread. :) I'd much rather read people arguing about our potential competitiveness than have to be continually reminded that being a professional athlete doesn't necessarily mean the individual so honored has the brainpower necessary to handle it properly.
I have been thinking about things like (a) gravity - a term that I think can be quantified now, related to how the defense shifts relative to a particular player (b) positionless basketball , related to gravity (3) our backcourt this year vs last year (d) and our prospective high usage players and benchmarks for success and the prospects for this to occur. This is what I have planned.

It is easy (AND BORING!) to throw out prospective rotation and allotment of minutes. I know this is the frequent exercise in TDOS. This is normal but this is NOT interesting to me. What is more interesting are ALL these variables related to the personnel moves for the league as a whole and specific to the Kings. It is easy to write off the Kings upcoming season based on games played and proven star potential on the roster....

But there are other variables worthy of exploring that I think will give fans hope! My new thread will address the concerns and the hope! This was the intention before sidetracked by two pounds of green in a backpack! But I hope we can get back on track soon with or without Z-BO. In the grand scheme his inclusion or exclusion is likely irrelevant to the fortunes of this group.

I am pretty not excited about this. Can we cut him? Why should he be allowed to subtract from the positivity that the kings org had created up to this point?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
LOL.

Pretty sure? Or pretty pretty sure?
Pretty please with a cherry on top sure.

It's certainly true for players who get banned from the NBA for *taking* drugs, I don't see why it wouldn't be true for other reasons for outright bans, but I can't find corroborating evidence.

Pretty please with a cherry on top sure.

It's certainly true for players who get banned from the NBA for *taking* drugs, I don't see why it wouldn't be true for other reasons for outright bans, but I can't find corroborating evidence.
I mean, I think you are 100% right.

Kind of obvious that you would void the the contract if you are not legally able to fulfill it. Man that would be a royal screw up to lose out on 24 mil from throwing a weed party for all your homies.

I am pretty not excited about this. Can we cut him? Why should he be allowed to subtract from the positivity that the kings org had created up to this point?
I for one hope we can cut him. I'm afraid though that short of a felony conviction, our hands are tied. This gets into legalities with which I am afraid I am unfamiliar.