Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
R.E. Graswich: Raley Field duo will take a swing at developing a downtown arena

By R.E. Graswich -- Bee Columnist
Published 2:15 am PST Friday, March 10, 2006
Story appeared in Metro section, Page B1

Arena matters: Art Savage and Warren Smith, who built Raley Field and brought the River Cats baseball team to town, will turn their talents toward a downtown Sacramento arena and entertainment facility suitable for the Kings. Savage and Smith hope to work alongside Sacramento city and county political leaders with the goal of building a new arena by 2009.

The pair declined to discuss details, but Smith said, "We want to do whatever we can to help this process. It's crucial that we get things moving." Savage and Smith are unique in the quest to replace Arco Arena - they actually have built sports facilities. Savage oversaw the construction of new arenas in Cleveland and San Jose. Smith nurtured Raley Field from renderings to reality. The businessmen would not rule out a site beyond downtown but said the city's heart is first choice for a new arena. They say they are aware of the latest plans for the Union Pacific railyard, but that's all they'll say. They suggested it was premature to discuss financing, indicating they were considering several creative options for paying for a new arena. ...

That would be awesome if these guys could spear head this. Especially since one was involved in the Cleveland Arena. If we could have a new Arena done by 2009 we'd insure the Kings would be in Sacramento for a long time to come.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow.

That's about the most positive news I've heard in quite a while. This could start to get interesting.

Thanks for the post, JGar!

:D

This is the best news in a long while! These are guys who don't just talk about it...they've done it! Smith got Raley field done, even tho all along everybody kept telling him it would never happen.

Graswich was on KHTK this AM, talking about it. He sounded very upbeat about this as a positive step. Apparently, they want to build an arena/entertainment venue in Sacramento, regardless of whether the Kings stay or not. He said they are confident of attracting a team here, if the Kings leave (heaven forbid). (Not necessarily basketball.)

However, if these guys can come up with a good plan for where and financing, I can't help but think the Maloofs could get on board. I sure hope so. I hope this doesn't lead to another big letdown, but I am honestly excited by this news. Someone has finally stepped up to the plate and its someone who knows how to swing a bat. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And, what else is interesting IMHO, is that for the most part the Bee writers are now PRO-KINGS instead of constantly finding ways to lambast the Maloofs, etc. Maybe they finally realized they would be cutting off their own noses to spite their faces should they continue to deride the only major franchise in the area?

I really don't care why they'd had the apparent change in heart, I'm just glad they did.

:D