Rajon Rondo Article on ESPN

Read the story here

Rondo called Cousins "the best big in the league" and said the 25-year-old center has "become like a little brother to me." But Rondo also said Cousins has room to improve.

"He's one of the guys that's very selfish. He has to find other ways to get it done. He's going to continue to grow and learn. I was just glad I was able to be in his life and have a little bit of influence and help him a little bit this year," said Rondo.

Rondo said he would "love to continue to play with" Cousins, but for that to happen, he and the Kings need to "come together and figure out if we can work, but if not, I'm always in, I'm open. I'm open this summer and I look forward to having a great career."

The above quote really stood out to me. When I read that Rondo is willing to say that Boogie is selfish and knowing that DeMarcus grants Rajon the freedom to critique and grow him, it makes me wonder if resigning Rondo needs to be a high priority. How many people has Cousins given the trust and loyalty to in order to improve? The whole article is a great read.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Rondo isn't wrong about Cousins being selfish. That's not a knock on him by any means. It's constructive criticism IMO. Cousins can only learn and grow from this or he can continue to revert back to his old ways and burst when the going gets tough. This comment is not meant to bash Cousins by any means, it's whats right in front of me from my own perspective. With that being said, Rondo can go ahead and stay away from Sacramento, unless they can come to a reasonable contract offer and/or he does some sacrificing, which we have not seen up to this point in his career so there is no reason to believe otherwise.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
that would be the second guy on the team to come out publicly and state the obvious...telling that it's two of the new players, who came from winning organizations and both have championship rings to show for.

that would be the second guy on the team to come out publicly and state the obvious...telling that it's two of the new players, who came from winning organizations and both have championship rings to show for.
And neither of whom put in any effort on defense last year, which led to most of our losses. Easy to talk about effort, selflessness, etc but harder to actually do those things on the court

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
And neither of whom put in any effort on defense last year, which led to most of our losses. Easy to talk about effort, selflessness, etc but harder to actually do those things on the court
only player I saw last season putting any effort into playing defense was our rookie

wow... they just kinda replaced the word selfish with the word selfless... without any kind of note or fanfare???

I very nearly went to bed tonight scratching my head - concluding that Rondo was done with Sac and was calling out Boogie as "selfish" on his way out the door.

wow...

The above quote really stood out to me. When I read that Rondo is willing to say that Boogie is selfish and knowing that DeMarcus grants Rajon the freedom to critique and grow him, it makes me wonder if resigning Rondo needs to be a high priority. How many people has Cousins given the trust and loyalty to in order to improve? The whole article is a great read.
Two? Rondo and Malone? Oh, and Calipari.

This was a big part for me:
"There were too many distractions on and off the court. The organization as a whole, I don't think was together completely. I think as a team you have to want the best for the next man beside you, and that wasn't the case with the Sacramento Kings," he said.
That always seemed to be the case when you watched this team play. Not surprised to hear him say that.

I haven't read the article but "selfish" sounds like a better fit than "selfless". Certainly, some of the things I can see hm needing to improve fit with "ish".

The article said selfless when I read it last night.
I don;t believe this article insinuates or concludes Rondo is off the Kings in any way.

And the most intriguing aspect of the article/interview IMO was when he said:
Rajon Rondo said:
"there was a couple leaks in the locker room, and it's definitely going to affect - a blowup in the locker room, when you have some guys talkin to the media of certain things that were said in private ...player-only meeting - so it caused a little tension, but for the most part, we tried to stay in it...".
@Bricklayer - who would you say are the leading candidates as to the source of the leaks?

Last edited: