Quincy Douby

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Just one.

When will *THIS* Quincy start showing up game in and game out.

He's a fun player to watch when he's on his game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NICE game by Quincy and nice response by the "starters" as they were cheering for him as loudly as the fans.

This is TEAM basketball. Heart and hustle, energy and excitement.

:)

I'm not trying to be a party pooper. But yes I still have questions. Beno was in the whole time Quincy was. Quincy is not a point guard by nature, he is a 2 guard. Can Quincy REALLY play 2 guard night in and night out of the bench in this league? He is undersized for the 2 guard, but a good sized point guard at 6' 3".

Can Quincy become a point guard in this league?

Garcia

I really hope that Garcia is going to be ok.

Out of 8 games that I picked to win tonight, all 8 of them won.<g>

Last edited by a moderator:
Beno was in the whole time Quincy was. Quincy is not a point guard by nature, he is a 2 guard.
Like you said, Beno also played the whole time... maybe that's Reggie accepting that Douby is not a point guard now, if he ever will be. But he did play very well tonight as an undersized SG. And that's progress. If he can do that consistently, at least he can be sure that there will be a place for him in the NBA.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Like you said, Beno also played the whole time... maybe that's Reggie accepting that Douby is not a point guard now, if he ever will be. But he did play very well tonight as an undersized SG. And that's progress. If he can do that consistently, at least he can be sure that there will be a place for him in the NBA.
I think people automatically try and picture each player as a starter. While Douby may never fill that role, he can be productive. Role players can be extremely important and Douby showed tonight that he can step up and get the job done when his number is called.

Funny thing about the NBA, is this particular game will be completely forgotten by the players and staff in the next couple of hours if not sooner with those W's sitting in Oakland rested and mad as hell that they had a bad loss to Chicago in their last home outing.

Golden State is favored by 7 over Kings in opening odds.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE!

And I loved the way Theus kept him the entire 4th quarter. Instead of being PC with his starters, he stayed with the hot hand - exactly what he should do.

I can't remember a 2nd year player for the Kings ever coming up so big in the 4th quarter against a quality opponent. He played GREAT defense (2 steals, 1 block), had at least 1 nice assist, and shot the lights out.

Now if Bibby gets traded, maybe Douby can get the pt that he's craving....

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Ole QD has the tools and just needs some boost to his confidence, such as a game like this. He always was a shooter and now looking like he can defend 1-2's and maybe 3's.

Hawes is making strides too that is good to see in view of the minutes Coach gets for him.

Best of all is Coach Reggie's "play well, play harder, play more" philosophy. Somethin' new for us Kings fans.

I love this. I guess the only positive about being an above mediocre team who doesn't make the playoffs is that you can break other team's hearts and screw with THEIR chances :D:D. We seemingly can beat any time on any night.

I can't remember a 2nd year player for the Kings ever coming up so big in the 4th quarter against a quality opponent.
I think it's been done before. Recently even. By another scrawny SG, no less.

But that's okay, Douby's game tonight stands on its own merits. No need for it to be historically unprecedented.

Last edited:
yano what kinda made me happy but then kinda made me mad. as quincy was lighting it up out there the starters, expecially mike which i thought was interesting where really cheering the team on, something that the bench never does for the starters with the exeption of jwill sometimes and thats one of the roles of a bench player.

It's time to accept that Douby will never be a point guard, but that of course is not a bad thing. One member compared him to Bobby Jackson with the way he was just draining his shots tonight--if he can fill that role, he can definitely have a place as one of the first guys off the bench on this team. His long arms which allow him to get steals and blocks are a great added bonus as well.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think it's been done before. Recently even. By another scrawny SG, no less.

But that's okay, Douby's game tonight stands on its own merits. No need for it to be historically unprecedented.
I don't think so. Martin had a great game-winning shot against the Spurs, but he didn't have the performance Douby did for a whole 4th quarter. Douby took a charge, had 2 steals, blocked a shot, got an assist, and missed broke the game open with his clutch shooting. The only bad thing he did is have one turnover when the game was in hand. Martin didn't have that kind of performance in his second year, imo.

Douby took a charge, had 2 steals, blocked a shot, got an assist, and missed broke the game open with his clutch shooting.
You haven't seen it lately, since our rookies these days are late picks, and not NBA-ready -- when we got picks at all. Wasting Gerald Wallace, then having no picks for the next 2 years, followed by players who were not immediately worthy of much PT, has skewed things for a while. But our getting rookies who aren't NBA ready is a relatively recent phenomenon. In times gone by, it was not at all uncommon for our rookie or sophomore players to save our games. And we need not go back to Oscar Robertson, Jim Lucas or Nate Archibald. We need not even pick ones who were considered to be very good.

I can't point to 4th quarters alone, since nobody keeps box scores by quarter. But here are a few samples from a 4-year period. I present to you: the reverse TDM award, rookie-sophomore edition, '91-'95.

3/23/91: Rookie Lionel Simmons gets 42 points on 52% shooting, and grabs 12 rebounds.

4/18/91: Rookie Duane Causwell comes close to a triple double, getting 17 points (50% shooting), 8 rebounds and 9 blocks against Denver, in 29 minutes.

11/26/91: Sophomore Lionel Simmons gets a triple double, and near quadruple double, racking up 10 points, 14 rebounds, 10 assists, 7 blocks and 2 steals against Phoenix.

1/02/93: Rookie Walt Williams comes off the bench to score 40 points on 57% shooting, and adds 6 reb, 3 asst, 4 steals and 4 blocks.

3/3/95: Rookie Brian Grant racks up 29 points (70% shooting), and adds 9 rebounds and 2 blocks, versus the Lakers.

I could have added another dozen, but old Kings history is too depressing for me, so I stopped there.

If Douby can just hang out around the 3 pt line and drain 3s like Peja who cares what we call his postion?

I've always believed that when and if Douby got his NBA confidence up he'd be a devastating shooter+.

That's a handy type to have around in the last seconds of a close game.

He can be a PG, not a starter but he can learn to play the position good enough, he'll always be a spark type of player off the bench and that's not a bad thing.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I think QD's hidden asset is his very long arms and his defense. A "tweener" can get more minutes with really good "D" coupled with his 3-pt shooting. If he can "steal" 2-3 layups a game and start to lock down the other scorer he will get his time. More time in = more hard "D" = more confidence = more time in.

He can be a PG, not a starter but he can learn to play the position good enough.
Mmmmmmaybe. I wouldn't assume that just because a running back can run, that he'd make a decent quarterback. Some players don't have the smarts, or court vision, or attitude to become PGs. I'd go so far as to say that, by post-collegiate age, few will make the transition successfully.

That's not to disagree with the other stuff you said, I think he can be a good bench guy regardless, and that CruzDude's statements about long arms and D are right on the money. He's a puny little fellow, but he plays a few inches bigger than he stands, which is enough under most circumstances.

Douby's biggest problem, in my opinion, is not his NBA potential, but the fact that he's on a team which is up to its neck in people who can play SG. Even after Artest is gone, it's hard to see how Martin + Salmons + Garcia + Douby + Jones are all going to be well utilized.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mmmmmmaybe. I wouldn't assume that just because a running back can run, that he'd make a decent quarterback. Some players don't have the smarts, or court vision, or attitude to become PGs. I'd go so far as to say that, by post-collegiate age, few will make the transition successfully.

That's not to disagree with the other stuff you said, I think he can be a good bench guy regardless, and that CruzDude's statements about long arms and D are right on the money. He's a puny little fellow, but he plays a few inches bigger than he stands, which is enough under most circumstances.

Douby's biggest problem, in my opinion, is not his NBA potential, but the fact that he's on a team which is up to its neck in people who can play SG. Even after Artest is gone, it's hard to see how Martin + Salmons + Garcia + Douby + Jones are all going to be well utilized.
Exactly. Quincy doesn't view himself as a point guard, he doesn't play like a point guard, he doesn't think like a point guard. Trying to force a player into playing the wrong position is a ticket to disappointment all the way around. I'm glad Petrie recognized that Douby was not going to step in at the 1 and went out and found Beno.

Quincy has his uses. Role players are much more important than some people like to give them credit for. And as a role player, I think Douby has potential. Just don't try and make him into something he's not.