quick TV question

I could be wrong, but I believe the answer to your questions is "Yes, a ****load of issues" since most games are on COMCAST sportsnet. I don't think they have a deal with Direct TV.

Direct TV lists these stations as being available with their premium package; I'm thinking the last one carries the Kings. If anyone can verify, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Comcast SportsNet Chicago
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic
Comcast SportsNet New England
Comcast SportsNet West

I could be wrong, but I believe the answer to your questions is "Yes, a ****load of issues" since most games are on COMCAST sportsnet. I don't think they have a deal with Direct TV.
Um, I have Direct TV and was able to watch all of the games (though I didn't actually watch all of them) on CSN (it was like channel 650 or something) or the other local affiliate (channel 10) last season. I'm not sure about the upcoming season, though.

Say what? Obviously you don't know.. I have DirecTV and got every single game. Channel 698.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I'm thinking about making the switch from Comcast to Direct TV. Any issue with getting Kings games on Direct?

Thanks.
Um, do you live in the Sacramento area? You never said, and the sport packages and teams covered vary from area to area......

If you do live in the Sacramento area (I think those above are assuming you do), then yes, Comcast, Dish, and DTV all carry all Kings games (except those otherwise available on Ch. 10, ESPN, etc.).

Um, do you live in the Sacramento area? You never said, and the sport packages and teams covered vary from area to area......

If you do live in the Sacramento area (I think those above are assuming you do), then yes, Comcast, Dish, and DTV all carry all Kings games (except those otherwise available on Ch. 10, ESPN, etc.).

So... If you are out of that Sacramento area, then the CSN channel will be blacked out on the dish during Kings games?:confused:

Last edited:
I live in Grass Valley. We have DirecTV and get all Kings, Giants, and A's games with the basic package. Channels 696 and 698 respectively (except Kings games on News 10. Those are on channel 10 obviously:)).

HD Warning

You will get the Kings games if you switch over to DirecTv. I will warn you that the Games will not be delivered in HD. I am not sure if you are currently getting HD through Comcast, but all the Kings games that come through on channel 698 (A Majority of the games) are NOT broadcast in HD.

Good Luck!!!

These questions come up a lot on where Kings games are to be found on TV and in HD or not. I have Comcast cable with one TV on converter box and the other without. Only reason for that is it's another $5/mo. to have second box and I'm so angry over constantly rising cable costs (also have their expensive high speed internet) I just hold back giving them any more $. So, based on last season I was only able to watch Kings games in HD on Ch. 10 when they broadcast the game. They're on Ch. 34 for all the other games but none of those are ever broadcast in HD apparently - or am I missing something as far as my set-up or another channel selection?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
These questions come up a lot on where Kings games are to be found on TV and in HD or not. I have Comcast cable with one TV on converter box and the other without. Only reason for that is it's another $5/mo. to have second box and I'm so angry over constantly rising cable costs (also have their expensive high speed internet) I just hold back giving them any more $. So, based on last season I was only able to watch Kings games in HD on Ch. 10 when they broadcast the game. They're on Ch. 34 for all the other games but none of those are ever broadcast in HD apparently - or am I missing something as far as my set-up or another channel selection?
The CSN games on Comcast cable were in HD somewhere in the 920s (I think they've shuffled the lineup around a bit since then and the CSNs are 920 and 921 now) - the whole HD lineup should be in the 900s, not quite sure why you weren't getting the CSN in HD if you were getting Ch. 10 in HD (on 910, I assume). Keep in mind that only home games were broadcast in HD last year, so road games on CSN were only on channel 34. (Home games were also there on 34 in the non-HD version.) Road games on Ch. 10 were broadcast on the HD channel 910, but were in SD quality.

I do so hope that we can get road games in HD next year, but I don't know the logistics or why they didn't carry them. Clearly an HD feed of those games exists, but maybe there's an extra cost charged by the home team for access to their HD feed?

The thing I seemed to notice when I watched Kings games on CSN with DirectTV is that it seemed like only home games were on TV. I didn't come anywhere near watching every game, so it might have just been a coincidence though.

EDIT: Posted without reading the previous post. Guess I was right.

Revrag

Father, Husband, KingsFan
Staff member
Administrator
Contributor
All the games were on DirecTV last season(ch698). All games broadcast in HD on Comcast (mostly if not all home games) were in HD on DirecTV. There were two ch698s and unlike most other stations the default was the non-HD feed. You have to "channel-up" from there to get the HD feed.

Next season could be a different story.

I do so hope that we can get road games in HD next year, but I don't know the logistics or why they didn't carry them. Clearly an HD feed of those games exists, but maybe there's an extra cost charged by the home team for access to their HD feed?
They need the equipment to broadcast HD remotely. I think most teams only broadcast home games in HD. If you get NBA league pass you can see the different feeds to see who does and doesnt. There were still some teams last year that didnt broadcast in HD at home.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
They need the equipment to broadcast HD remotely. I think most teams only broadcast home games in HD. If you get NBA league pass you can see the different feeds to see who does and doesnt. There were still some teams last year that didnt broadcast in HD at home.
Oh, if it's a matter of the Kings broadcast crew having to get updated equipment to bring on the road, I'm not too optimistic about road HD next year. Not in this economy.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I do live in the Sacramento area, so if they're carrying all the games locally on Direct TV, I'm a happy camper. While I love the HD home games on Comcast, I can live with regular, old non-HD if it means saving the $70 a month (no, this is not a commercial endorsement :eek:).

Oh, if it's a matter of the Kings broadcast crew having to get updated equipment to bring on the road, I'm not too optimistic about road HD next year. Not in this economy.
I don't know of ANY team that takes their HD equipment on the road as of right now. That will probably change in the next few years as it becomes more mainstream and cost effective.