Q & A with Coach Adelman

Oct 9 2004 but today is only the 7th... @_@ piksi must have used some kinda witch craft!

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2004
Rick Adelman sat down with Kings.com after Thursday training camp practice to talk about the preseason and a variety of other things. Here's what he had to say:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings.com: How was it getting Chris back for practice today?

Adelman: “Everytime we get more of those people out it helps us a lot, because those are the people that are going to play. You get a lot more done cause you get the people that are going to play in the games. The attitude was really good today, they played with a little more concentration and intensity today than yesterday.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kings.com: Did Chris sit out any part of practice?

Adelman: “He didn’t sit out anything, he did every drill and everything we did he went through. We’ll see how he reacts tomorrow.”

Kings.com: Do these injuries start to take a toll on your practices?

Adelman: “I think it did yesterday, because we had Greg out and Chris out and Doug out, and Darius had something he had to do and leave early, so when you have four of your top-eight guys aren’t here, you’re dealing with guys who are unsure of what they are doing. That gets a little frustrating, but you still have to work with the other guys, the free agents and young guys, because you have to find out what they can do. Having Chris and Darius here today really helped out the continuity of practice.

Kings.com: When you watch these workouts, what are you looking for?

Adelman: “A lot of times, we’ve gone through so many things at that point that you’re just trying to observe and evaluating other players. You know that you’re going to get to look at tape later to check out the things what you want to see. Basically you just trying to observe and see if you’re coming along, and today we really did. We made some nice plays today in the scrimmage. We added some things yesterday and we wanted to see how they would work out too.”

Kings.com: Do you focus on certain players or plays?

Adelman:“Not on certain plays, because we’ve pretty much run all our stuff. As you know, we don’t call a lot of plays, a lot of it is reads a lot of it is you get into a set and then you play out of it, depending on what the defense does. I really try to concentrate on the players. Like who you have with the starters. I’ve been rotating Ricky and Kevin and all the young guys, trying to get an idea how they play with those guys and what are their strengths that we can get out of this offense. That’s what I kind of observe.”

Kings.com: Is your mind made up already on who is going to make the roster?

Adelman: “I wouldn’t say it is made up. I think we like a lot of the people and I would say that we have a pretty good idea of most of the squad, but again, you have to keep evaluating, you got to watch these guys in games, because look what’s happened this week. You get guys injured and you have to put guys on the injured list to start the season you have to have your mind made up as to who is gonna be there and who’s going to help you win.”

Kings.com: Do you think all the injuries can be attributed to offseason workouts or anything else?

Adelman: “I think it’s just the way it is, you’re going to always have aches and pains, but having Doug and Greg out completely, that usually doesn’t happen—having to guys go out at the start of camp and miss it completely. Sometimes you have one or two guys nicked up, and then all of a sudden you have three of four guys out.”

Kings.com: Is your mind made up already on who is going to make the roster?

Adelman: “I wouldn’t say it is made up. I think we like a lot of the people and I would say that we have a pretty good idea of most of the squad, but again, you have to keep evaluating, you got to watch these guys in games, because look what’s happened this week. You get guys injured and you have to put guys on the injured list to start the season you have to have your mind made up as to who is gonna be there and who’s going to help you win.”

Kings.com: Has any camp invitee surprised you at all?

Adelman: “I don’t think I’ve been surprised. It’s been a good camp in that we have lot of guys in this group that have competed well. I don’t think there is anyone who hasn’t—especially our perimeter guys. We have a lot of skilled perimeter guys who bring something different. So if I’m surprised, I’m pleasantly surprised at all the people that are pushing the veterans, they really get after them. I think that’s been a real plus for us—our two rookies, Kevin and Ricky, have really played well. I think they’re going to be solid NBA players. It’s two good finds for us with those guys, they’ve been working hard and learning, and that’s the attitude they have to have. It’s not going to be there when day one starts, but they definitely have the chance to be good players.

Kings.com: What are your thoughts on traveling to China?

Adelman: “Like I said to the team this week, it’s what it is. Some teams are picked to do this and the reason we’re picked is because of who we are. We have a team that is very exciting to watch, it’s well known, I think, around the world, and so it is a compliment for them to pick us to go over and play. I think that’s how we have to think. If I had my choice though, I’d stay home—we do too much traveling and I don’t want to travel 15 hours there and back, and then you try and get your team ready and you’ve lost a week. But again, it’s what it is and I think you have to accept it as a positive.”

Coach Dunn

Here's one more from yesterday's radio Sportsline show...The first part I believe was him talking about coming to the Kings and how excited he is about that:

New assistant coach T.R. Dunn.

Lam: (Talking about the Peja mess)You tell us, you see practice everyday, is it all hugs and kisses with everybody or is there something to that, the guys aren't getting along as they should be?

Dunn: Its been all good from our stand point. Peja's been great and his teammates have been great with him. I don't know what transpires, all of that happened in the summer, but here since day one things have been great. Peja has been super, he's been working hard and his teammates have been great with him. He's a terrific player and he means a lot to this franchise and we're all happy that he's happy and playing well.

Lam: Chris has taken a couple of days off because his knee has bothered him, how concerned are you and how concerned is the staff about that?

Dunn: Well you always have concern when you have a marquee player off the court because of, whatever the situation is. Chris as you know had this surgery...and he's working his way back. It may be the the situation where he has swelling that keeps him off the court, but here was out there today-working hard and looking good as usual.

Grant: What is your role going to be with the ball club this year?

Dunn: Well, that's a good question, I'm coming and doing whatever coach Aldeman wants me to do. Thus far I worked some with the small players and some with the big players. I've done some on the defensive end with guys and also I'm learning our offense like some of the other coaches already know it. You know and I can voice some opinion there too. Rick gives us a lot of latitude, if you have something to say your able to say it, voice your opinion and things like that. Its been great. Again, I'm just trying to fit in, work as hard as I can to help this ball club, whatever it is I'll do it. And so far its been great.

Lam: You what I'd like to see you do? Teach those guys to clothesline someone going to the bucket..

Dunn: I don't know about clothesline but we definitely want to have a presence when they come in there

Lam: That's all I'm asking for..

Dunn: How about we just take a charge or something like that, make a block. Like I say, we want out guys to have a presence defensively and help each other.

Last edited:
Talking to T.R.

http://www.nba.com/kings/news/Talking_to_TR-119399-58.html

more on T.R. Dunn

Talking to T.R.

T.R. Dunn enters his first year as an assistant coach on Head Coach Rick Adelman’s staff. However, Dunn, who enjoyed a 14-year NBA career as a player, is no stranger to the coaching ranks. He spent the past two seasons (2002-04) as an assistant coach for the Denver Nuggets in what was his second coaching tour with the club, and has worked with the New Orleans Hornets and the Charlotte Sting of the WNBA.

During his NBA playing days, Dunn spent 10 seasons as a member of the Denver Nuggets (1980-88 and 1989-91) and remains a mainstay in the franchise’s record books. Regarded as one of the premiere defensive players of his time, the 6-4 Dunn was named to the NBA’s All-Defensive Second Team three times (1983-85) and was considered one of the top rebounding guards in the NBA throughout his career.

T.R. sat down with Kings.com on Saturday to answer your questions. Here's what he had to say:

Welcome to Sacramento TR, What do you look forward to the most about coaching the Kings?
-Thanks, Lynne

Dunn: “I’ve always admired this team from afar. They’re one of the elite teams in the league and so it’s a great opportunity to get with a team of this caliber and work with this staff. Coach Adelman is well-renown as one of the top coaches in the league. I’ve had an opportunity to play in the league with Coach Turner, we were teammates, and from afar I’ve admired Coach Carril—like everyone does. I’ve gotten an opportunity to know those guys on a more personal basis, as well as Bubba (Burrage). The staff is a great one and it’s a chance to branch out and keep learning with a good team.”

Have you been able to mesh well with the coaching staff?
-Ryan Henry

Dunn: “I’d like to think I have, it’s just the start right now, but I’m going to do my best and as always, just work as hard as I can. Things tend to take care of themselves—if you do your job to the best of your ability then everything else seems to fall in place."

TR, as a former NBA assistant coach and WNBA head coach, what do you think you will be bringing to the table to enhance the Kings this season?
-Stephanie Williams

Dunn:“It’s always going to be a learning process for your players, and the coaches too. If nothing else, you learn what the players can or cannot do or what they need to work more on. So from that standpoint, I’m just going to try and help players to continue to develop. Through the process of being with other coaches, you hopefully learn from them too. It’s going to be a gradual learning process for me.”

Will you bring your defensive attitude to this team and preach defense first?
-AeroFuel14

Dunn: “That’s kind of my style and I know Coach Turner’s as well—I know from being teammates because he was a pretty good defender himself. I know that’s something that he stresses and something that the team is stressing more.”

Do you think it’s a good idea for a parent to play the role as the coach when their kid is involved in a sport?
-Computerchik87

Dunn: “I think all situations can be good, it just depends on how you handle and approach it. There can be a situation where a parent can not approach it the best way. And it could end up not being the right experience for the kid. I think that if it’s done in the right manner, it can be a great experience. In my opinion, it all depends on the parent, how well they go about it—because the kids are just trying to enjoy themselves by playing and having fun.”

Hi. TR, I’m from Israel and wanted to ask you perspective about David Bluthenthal, who was a big star last season in our own Euroleague Champion, Maccabi Tel-Aviv?
-Ilan

Dunn: “David has been doing a good job. He missed a few practices because of some type of illness or something he had this past week. Whatever it was, he was only out for 48 hours. But the past couple of practices, he’s been doing a good job on the floor.”

I’ve been a Kings fan since I moved to Sacramento. Do you think this is our year to go all the way?
-Mike Hill

Dunn: “There are a lot of things that are going to happen between now and the end, but we’re working extremely hard with our guys to become the best possible team. Hopefully things fall into place, and we’re confident that it’s a real possibility. We have some talented players and a chance to get there, but we have a lot of work to do. I know one thing, if you look around the league, all 30 teams don’t have a realistic chance of winning the whole thing—we do have a realistic chance to be there, and that’s a good barometer to start from.”

T.R., How have you adjusted to living in Sacramento?
-John Little

Dunn: “The adjustment to living here has been a real smooth transition. I mean, how can you not love the California weather? It’s a beautiful city and I do have a place—I haven’t moved in yet, but I do have a place and I’m looking forward to living here.”

Dear Mr. Dunn,
How did you get the nickname “The Hammer”?
-Your biggest fan, Terry *

Dunn: “Well Terry, for the person to even ask that, he must know the inside joke to that question already, which dates back to when I played. We’re going to keep that an inside joke, but it was just a nickname that I got from a couple of guys when I was in the league. It was unwarranted, but it stuck.”

*(Terry Kofler is the athletic trainer for the New Orleans Hornets and a good friend of T.R.'s)